Reviews of Grapefruit by Jo Malone

I did one of those fun "what should your signature scent be?" quizzes online, and the result I got was actually "Grapefruit" cologne by Jo Malone! :D So, just for laughs, I got a sample of it to try!
Yesterday I tried my sample of "Mure et Musc" by L'Artisan Parfumeur, and I have to say that wearing "Grapefruit" by Jo Malone is a huge relief by direct comparison! To my nose, "Mure et Musc" smells like a hundred strawberry shortcakes were bottled and made into a perfume, and I found that a bit headache inducing! Just wearing "Grapefruit" is actually refreshing by comparison! It's a very light, bright, sparkling, lively and invigorating scent! I actually think it is pretty nice on it's own, although yes, like Mushroom said, this whole fragrance line is made for layering!
That said, although I do enjoy the scent of this cologne, I think I would probably like it on a guy more than on myself. It is actually a more masculine citrus scent. Personally, on myself, I prefer wearing the Pink Grapefruit EDT from The Body Shop. It's a much prettier and more feminine grapefruit scent than Jo Malone's is. This one is mostly a sour and savory herbal scent, whereas "Pink Grapefruit" from The Body Shop has flowery and sweet notes added, making it a prettier scent. However, if what you want is a masculine or more unisex grapefruit, then yes, you probably want to check this one out! (Plus, Jo Malone probably has sweeter scents you could layer this with as well!)
Overall it is a very nice, pleasant smelling fragrance, and I definitely give it a thumbs up! It's worth trying at least once if you're a fan of citrus and sporty scents at all!
19th December, 2015
Tony T Show all reviews
Staright up grapefruit

I have only a sample and thank God!!

Ok spring scent better suited for females..

The scent starts heavy and ends light after about 2 hours..

True to it's name to say the least..

Pros: tolerable
Cons: poor longevity"

28th October, 2013
Kicks off with a few minutes of artificially sweetened grapefruit before ending up as a mix of citruses - to my nose mostly sweet mandarin and bergamot with lemon verbena for a subtle piquancy. It fades after a couple of hours, leaving a vague smudge of orange blossom, but this is basically all topnotes.

I personally think that the Jo Malone line gets short changed a lot by fragrance aficionados who miss that most of the later works (especially those by Christine Nagel) are fully-realized perfumes with tops, middles, and basenotes. Grapefruit, however, is not. Oh well.
09th January, 2013

rbaker Show all reviews
Grapefruit pretty pure on me, with a bit of wood added in the drydown. A mature grapefruit, with no prominent freshness on me. A straightforward scent, poor silage on me with a longevity of about two hours.
28th September, 2012
mushroom Show all reviews
I think a lot of Jo Malone's scents are misunderstood - they are rarely best worn alone, but layered with another, maybe 2 other of the scents. They are all designed to work together, and believe me, try the Blue Agava & Cacao with the Grapefruit, and you will get a completely different, beautiful fragrance.

Both these scents do not do much alone, but together are fantastic. I get so many compliments when wearing these, even strangers in shops stopping me and asking me what scent I am wearing. The only negative thing I can say about Jo Malone is for an expensive brand, they do not have the same staying power as other perfumes in the same price range.
20th July, 2012
The opening to this is very grassy and citric, think of a freshly peeled tangerine. It also may even come off as a spicy lemon but I suppose it's the grapefruit. If I had a way of describing the scent as the heart notes blend with the base, I'd say that this is a mix between D&G Masculine and Aramis Tuscany. Imagine the citrus wood base of D&G Masculine under the spicy, mossy, woodiness in Tuscany. It's clean yet spicy. Projection is moderate and longevity is around 6-8 hours. I wouldn't go as far as dubbing this unisex neither. It's far too spicy and woody for a female, or at least I would say. Although I encourage any age to wear what they'd like, I'd d=say this is ideal for an older gentleman 35+. My final rating B-
12th May, 2011
Not too much to say. Exactly what you were expecting when you read "grapefruit" on the label. A zesty blast...then a generic sort of lemonygrass citrus...then...what? did I fall asleep?
02nd September, 2010
Bright, refreshing open of light, non-sweet grapefruit... and then it just becomes a clean soap smell. Why bother?
23rd April, 2010
smells like a fruit and passion store, boring
13th April, 2010
Since no one has provided a fragrance pyramid, here are the notes, per the Jo Malone website:

Top notes: grapefruit, tangerine (citrus)
Heart notes: rosemary, mint, pimento, jasmine (aromatic, spicy, floral)
Base notes: vetiver, patchouli, tree moss (woody)

I find the grapefruit in the opening to be rather tame. I do get floral overtones right away. Then it becomes soapy. Anyway, I prefer bolder renditions of grapefruit than this offering.
19th September, 2009
Harsh opening note. Very disappointed in this purchase. Too masculine for me.
30th July, 2009
This is my first Jo Malone fragrance and what a let-down! As some reviews have already noted, the opening grapefruit note is a vibrant one but settles down very quickly and then all you get is mild soapy lemony notes... longevity is terrible... thoroughly disappointed... :o(
30th June, 2009
It delivers very good grapefruit, which is why I'm not giving it a thumbs down. It fades down into a soap (Zest comes to mind) and when I tried to mix it with other essences it was almost completely obliterated. That's why I'm not giving it a thumbs up.
01st March, 2009

Loro Show all reviews
Definitely a summer fragrance for me, and yes, I get the soap too, but love the freshness of this and the way it dries down woody, with no sweetness. Pretty good longevity on me - stays tangy for a couple of hours or so. I admit that after a couple of sniffs I get generic citrus, rather than pure grapefruit, but still find it pleasantly zingy. A great fallback light summer fragrance, for those occasions when you don't necessarily want to make too much effort or impression!
17th January, 2009
Jo Malone’s Grapefruit perfume starts off sharp-ish but then is toned down with white flowers so that it becomes a very tame, light fragance. The vetiver in the middle and base notes give it some warmth and depth and is probably why some reviewers characterize it as a masculine perfume. Jo Malone’s Grapefruit doesn’t have the zing that I adore in Aqua Allegoria’s Pamplelune or the cheerfully unabashed zestiness of Frederic Malle’s Bigarade Concentree, but Jo Malone’s Grapefruit is a competent scent that will likely appeal to a man or a woman who doesn’t want to smell overly “perfumey” but wants to smell “clean”. Ho hum.

Per The Perfumed Court, here are the notes: grapefruit, tangerine, vetiver and rosemary.
13th November, 2008
I'm going to have to accept the facts that acceptfacts is right. Grapefruit at first... for like a second but goes right into an overwhelming soapy, clean fragrance like 1881. Up close you can still smell grapefruit but the people around me smell soap. As a fragrance, yuck. As a bath soap, it would be delightful (and it is offered as one).
10th November, 2008
Fragrance notes: grapefruit, tangerine, rosemary, vetiver
No surprises – this is very citrusy. It is quite natural smelling, and thus I enjoy it a lot. There are lovely green and light herbal notes, a hint of pine/mint from the rosemary and another grassy hint from vetiver. These give the scent very good longevity, and the citrus finds a way to linger too. I like this very much! JM scents are designed to layer, and I have no doubt this would add sparkle to many scents. I think it stands well on its own, as well.
23rd October, 2008
initial notes of grapefruit are quickly overwhelmed by synthetic notes of "every 90's cologne" and dries down within minutes to a middle of the road motel soap that destroyes remnants of everything else in between. Have to give it thumbs down.
08th September, 2008
A slightly bitter, none too sweet take on the overdone grapefruit. Really a great "layering" frag, but not my favorite when worn alone.
16th November, 2007
AYALA said it best ~ a handsomely done citrus. Bravo! Works nicely as a layering product IMO. (I might sneak a spritz onto my husband and see how that goes!)
12th October, 2007
Sharp and masculine grapefruit. Its very citrus and packs a punch.

Its unlike all other grapefruits out there. The base note is vetyver so its very "masculine"

It kind of reminds me of YSL Pour homme and Armani pour homme.

The fresh and clean scent is amazing from first spray to dry down. I am not a big fan of citrus scents, but this is definitely a winner.

Not all of Jo malones scents last long but this one does.

Layers well with: Amber and Lavender and Vetyver by Jo Malone

WARNING: Since the base note is vetyver many women may find this to be a bit too "masculine"
03rd May, 2007
This used to be one of my favourites from the line, but after I discovered the true identity of Orange Blossom, it kind of lost some of its charm for me. It’s a rather simple citrus cologne, and conjures a very aromatic grapefruit, so expect nothing of the sweetness of Guerlain’s Pampelmousse. Grapefruit is not the first thing that you think of when smelling this cologne, but rather – citrus. It’s a reviving and refreshing scent, and very handsomely done. I think one of the most incredible things about it though is how well it layers with other Jo Malone scents. It makes the nasty Blue Agava and Cacao smell delicious and alive, and adds spark to anything really.
11th December, 2006
SniffQ Show all reviews
As a citrus lover, I bought the body cream and the fragrance. The first rush of grapefruit is so sublime, I thought I'd found my second-skin scent. Alas, not. Within an hour it no longer smelled of grapefruit, but of white flowers. I'm not a white flower lover. And not once I got a whiff of that amazing grapefruit zest, that delightful, perfect scent match.
Great if it works on you!
15th September, 2006
Jo Malone Grapefruit is one of the most remarkable of all citrus scents. It succeeds in duplicating, most convincingly, the zesty cloud of mist that rises from freshly sliced grapefruit. The effect is so realistic, and the recognition so immediate that it uplifts the spirit, just as the smell of the real fruit would.

This does not turn sour or sulphurus over time, like some grapefruit frags are prone to do, but remains fresh and bright throughout a wearing.

Grapefruit lasts well for a citrus, but should be refreshed now and then during the day for best effect. A good one for layering with other fragrances if you are feeling adventurous!

Highly recommended.
06th August, 2006
Maybe it's my body chemistry, but this one is overwhelmingly soapy with a slight scent of grapefruit peel. Not unpleasant . . . . But not really perfume either.
05th May, 2006
I just love, love, love this scent. The grapefruit is strong but nicely tempered by the other notes. Unfortunately even though I layer it with shower gel AND body cream, it just does not last at all on me (nor do the other Jo Malone fragrances).
17th January, 2006