Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I can remember pretty much every detail of my first experience with this because it was that significant to me. I bought it blind, mail order and it was one of the 30ml bottles (they no longer do) because my budget couldn’t stretch any further. I’d read numerous articles relating the names of famous wearers and thought ‘this must be some good shit’.

I’d had it delivered to work but left early the previous day so missed it arriving. On my way in the following morning, I stopped by the post room and picked up the package. I was a smoker at the time so made my way to the area designated for toxic outlaws like me and as it was still early, there was nobody else around. I hastily got the box open stopping only for a moment to admire the bottle and cap. In an instant I got the first spray out onto the back of my hand, held my hand up to my nose and everything changed. Everything I thought I knew about fragrance went out of the window in one breath. I’d never smelled anything of this quality before. Did I expect it to have a Cool Water vibe? Of course I did but I never expected anything quite as incredible as this. Multi-faceted, layered, complex and yet transparent, refined and reserved. It almost shouts politely.

To say there is no difference between this and Cool Water is pure ignorance. The two are undeniably similar but it’s the detail. It’s like comparing a fake Rolex to the real thing. At first glance they may look identical but on closer examination, the differences become not only apparent but blatantly obvious.

To date this is my favourite Creed. I went on to try Millisime Imperial, loved it but wasn’t bowled over by how light it was. I then went for Royal Water, also nice but it just didn’t seem like something I would wear.

I’ve sampled others; Erolfa, Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Original Santal (and of those Silver Mountain Water and Himalaya stand out the most as being truly excellent) but none of them had the same effect on me as Green Irish Tweed.

Is it Green? Yes. Irish? God knows. Tweed? Utter nonsense. Who cares??

I recently revisited with a new bottle and there has been a change for sure and I think it’s the Peppermint that stands out in the current version. Never-the-less it still has that thing about it that just does it for me.

To date, and after some 20+ years of being a fragance enthusiast, this remains my Holy Grail fragrance, the one I’d take to the desert island if I had to pick only one and it wouldn’t even be a hard choice. That may change but it’s about 15 years since I first smelled this and nothing has even come close since.

To liken it to others; yes there’s Cool Water, also Freshman by Truefitt and Hill but it is the quality of this that really stands it apart.
02nd December, 2019
Love this fragrance. I held of purchasing for some time... partly due to the price point, but also due to the multiple Cool Water comparisons. Forking out good money for an upmarket version of my daily driver from the days I was young, dumb and broke would have been an expensive step backwards for me.

I had a colleague convince me to take the plunge with Green Irish Tweed and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I am a relative fragrance novice just starting to build my collection, but the Cool Water comparison... I do get it, but it's a rather superficial similarity. For me, Green Irish Tweed legitimately lives up to its reputation.

My only advice for a fellow novice - this won't be a compliment monster for most people, so if that's your motivation for increasing your budget for a niche fragrance (or a high quality mass market fragrance, depending on how you see Creed), then there are better choices available for significantly lower price points.

Having said that, to me the subtlety isn't a weakness, it's one of the great strengths of the composition. It's low key, understated, complex and nuanced whilst having a lot of strength and depth. It puts a smile on my face and reflects who I'd like to be, so for me this fragrance is absolutely worth the dubloons. Emphatic thumbs up.
26th October, 2019 (last edited: 05th November, 2019)
I was really looking to enjoy this one, but the hype simply isn't worth dropping the coin on a bottle of well constructed Coolwater by Davidoff.

I'm very sorry that this came first and Coolwater was very "inspired" by GIT, but I can't justify a ~$300 purchase of something that smells so similar to a very prominent, widely distributed, hugely popular $30 scent.

The Neutral rating is due to the name; there is nothing about this fragrance that invokes Irish scenery, Green scenery, or Tweed style perfumery. I get Fresh, Aquatic, and Clean. Maybe this should be called Fresh River Dance?
08th September, 2019

hcr Show all reviews
Irish Spring for a few minutes, Cool Water for a few hours, and then the beautiful, lovely Creed base for many hours more-into the next day, however very subtle. Good smell, any occasion, not worth the cost and a little dated now.
04th July, 2019
Leshutch Show all reviews
I don't get the Creed hype - it's not deserved. I have both this and Aventus and I just don't like the over chemically note that runs through them. This doesn't smell tweed, Old or Irish-like.
10th June, 2019
I love this fragrance, but I feel like I'm a couple decades too young to actually wear it. Creed is great at naming things and they nailed it with this one, as it invokes middle-aged college professor or an old gentleman walking down the Irish coast.

And it's fitting, because it opens up pleasantly aquatic, not the rolling glens of Ireland but its rocky coastlines. Fresh and slightly salty (though not as much as the Millesime Imperial), but its freshness feels "old" and natural like a slow-growing moss. As it dries it never loses that character, which makes it a bit more linear than a lot of fragrances, but the smell is so nice you don't want it to transform too much. Even the ambergris at the base recalls our dark mother, the ocean.

Unfortunately the things that make it so nice also seem to cage it off for men in certain age groups or settings. Its sophisticated fresh mustiness simply doesn't work so well with younger people hanging out with people their own age. Luckily, Creed also has them covered with scents like Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial. I still find reasons to wear it though, when I want something different or just want to smell the lovely stuff for a while.

I'm not sure why the bottles are all-black, but at least that works way better than the tasteless all-gold bottle of Millesime Imperial that is probably right next to it.
03rd May, 2019
This was my second Creed. A friend of mine was coming back from the Philippines and i asked him to get me a bottle from Duty Free. It was 20% off.

That day i had a family gathering and couldn't wait to put it on. Oh boy i really disliked it! It took a few weeks and multi wearings to start appreciating this.

However fast forward 4 months and i have almost run out of that 100ml bottle and have brought a second 75ml.

It took a while for me to get there but now it is simply a great fragrance to me. It will forever be in my collection and is tied with Bois Du Portugal for 2nd place in my Creed collection.

My favorite go to Clean, fresh and green fragrance.

It is almost winter here and i can't wait for spring so i can wear this again!

4.5/5
22nd April, 2019 (last edited: 26th April, 2019)
Green Irish Tweed is an old fashioned masculine aquatic fougere.

After a few wearings, I have fallen in love with You...

26th March, 2019 (last edited: 27th March, 2019)
This fragrance reminds me of country side of Ireland. Very clean, fresh, cool and green. This is ideal for work and I only use 2 sprays as I find it strong and anything more cloys me and doesn’t let me appreciate the intent of the fragrance and it’s changes. It is more like Cool water with a bit of Irish Spring soap in the mix and that is what I get of it. As bad as it may sound, it is beatifully composed to make it enjoyable. Longevity is not that great compared to Aventus and I get that from all citrusy and fresh fragrances.
22nd March, 2019
This is a throwback: my very first cologne purchase, from a Roundy's grocery store in Wisconsin, was Cool Water. I remember it distinctly because I enjoyed its crisp aquatic smell. I would have to do test side-by-side to differentiate the nuances the two (which will never happen) as it has been many years since I've put it on. But if memory serves (which it only rarely does), this is very similar.

Pure greenery at the first spray: lots of iris, lemon from the start. A bit of background spice and amber as it starts to dry down. This is more flash than substance for me: very linear and unexciting. For the price, there isn't much unique or interesting here: perhaps this is the price for a fragrance so popular that its generic ripoff becomes a mass-market staple. Perhaps this is my personal experience but it smells very...1990's. It's a temporally fixed and, as such, it smells dated. Didn't I read somewhere that this is Clint Eastwood's favorite cologne? Sounds about right. During the dry down, and for me it dries down rather quickly, I get more citrusy-wood and rainwater. It's fresh, but the iris and violet give it a bit of density that I don't particularly care for-but others may.

3-4 ounces of this are $170-190. I would never pay that, there's nothing here that invokes anything of interest to me. Furthermore, it doesn't last all that long (3-4 hours) and never evolves into anything other than what it is from the get-go. It's a smooth enough blend that doesn't take me to the places I hope to go.

5.5-6/10
18th March, 2019
Great thumbs up for me.
Honestly i can't find the similitude with Cool Water. I could imagine Cool Water as a californian muscled oiled surfer, while GIT evokes me the image of a distinguished german man well dressed for the Sunday Mass in a fresh sunny day...maybe they share the same blonde hair.
Good performance.
11th March, 2019
A green, sporty scent. Interesting, since none of the notes are especially "green" in characteristics (well, perhaps the verbena a bit). Smells like a lot of the golf-inspired scents of the 1980's (e.g., Royal Green,
Trophée Lancôme, Greenbriar). Pleasant, for me it is not compelling. Reasonably classy, I suppose.
Dry-down is salty and mossy -- but no moss is listed. Guess that is the ambergris.
11th December, 2018
This is very fresh and green as the name suggests. Lasts long, projects well enough. All the green notes come through really well.

Sadly, problem is that the next guy maybe wearing Cool Water and smelling almost(not quite) like you for one tenth the price.

Having said that, this is a classic. Is a classy perfume and feels that way too.

p.s. unlike most, I don't get into the notes, etc. It's all there for everyone to see on this site as well as other places on the net. I'm not a pro, just a novice collector.
20th October, 2018

Creed Green Irish Tweed (1985) served unwittingly as the original notorious "I'm better than you" socio-economic superiority scent for men long before Aventus (2010) came along. While that latter scent targeted an army of justified "new money" sociopaths chugging protein shakes in one hand and cutting their employees' benefit packages with the other while juggling gym routines and their Tinder accounts simultaneously, Green Irish Tweed sat quietly through much of the 80's and 90's, gathering it's reputation (and Creed's) by going against the olfactory grain of the decade in the mainstream, appealing to the "old money" guys who didn't need to scream in order to prove their worth, and could still have an empathetic exchange with a stranger or tip the valet without a snarky comment. In the days of "GIT", Creed was almost an enigma to most people, as was the scent itself, and the house didn't advertise nor sell outside of it's own boutiques because it didn't have to, and like most ultra-luxe brands in an age before the popularization of the niche segment, Creed maintained it's clout through exclusivity via word of mouth by way of it's wealthy clients rather than condescending advertisements to the masses whom most of which resent being repeatedly reminded of what they "can't have". Creed had a different approach for most of it's life, and it's funny because Olivier Creed (Six Generation) was in charge then as he was when Aventus launched, but soulless marketing cronies hadn't wormed their way yet into his brain and talked him into "curating" the brand as an aspirational one, although he DID secretly pull assistance for this big move to publicly-distributed perfume from friend and fellow perfumer Pierre Bourdon, (who was coming off of YSL's 1981 hit Kouros), since Creed hadn't applied himself to the complexities of modern perfume like his father, as evidenced by the simple and traditional Olivier-crafted Fleurs de Bulgarie (1980). Pierre would famously cannibalize most of the formula he assisted in making with Olivier for a downmarket proxy by the name of Cool Water (1988), creating the aquatic genre which has been "soaking" the male market for decades since it's unleashing, but the aromachemical dihydromyrcenol made mainstream in Cool Water was first notably used more subtly by Bourdon here. Green Irish Tweed was supposedly worn by Cary Grant in his latter years, plus a handful of other Hollywood actors in years to come, which was an early celebrity link which helped moved units into the hands of guys who kept up with Hollywood tabloids.

If Aventus is a garish BMW M5 with a racing wing owned by a mouthy head software engineer fresh off his hiring bonus, Green Irish Tweed is the scent of the CEO who hired him, a man who quietly leaves the office in an all-black Mercedes S Class, making idle chat with the concierge who he knows by name and often gives his company skybox tickets to when he can't make the game. The scent opens with a bitter sharp green head which fades very fast, featuring a stiff hit of what is likely the best lemon verbena this side of Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (1986), which holds the note much longer. It's perhaps best that the lemon verbena fades so fast, as the rest of the composition would be at odds with it since we basically have a prototype aquatic, the Ur-Cool Water if you will, underneath. Comparisons are inevitable but Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed are not the same animal outside of some chemical magic, even if I can see the DNA, since GIT uses iris and violet coupled with the famous Creed ambergris and sandalwood in it's drydown, while Cool Water goes through a more complex jumble of barbershop fougère notes and mint. Green Irish Tweed is actually quite simple and elegant, with a beautifully-unfolding green floral middle, because of that iris and violet, and no need for chemical white musk because the ambergris is such a complex, round, and rich base note that it requires no extra fattening with laundry musk like literally every aquatic with a composite amber note born in it's wake. A man wearing Green Irish Tweed in the 21st century will leave an unmistakably familiar trail thanks to the promulgation of it's base aromachems, but everything else about the scent will leave a sweet, crisp, and herbaceous ambergris glow most won't place, and only die-hard perfumistas or mutual wearers will likely identify. GIT is the superior scent between it and Cool Water in my opinion, but Cool Water is by no means a cheap imitation either, as it's simply a different direction meant for a different audience more into conspicuous consumption. I know Creed haters don't want to hear that, and I give Creed their fair share of guff too, but when this house gets it "right", they really really do. Sillage is way better than any aquatic, and so is longevity, but Green Irish Tweed is obviously no 80's powerhouse despite it's 1985 year of release, which is probably why it has continued to endure as a top-end option for successful men over 3 decades later, while newer selections have already been "vaulted", even after the release of it's spiritual successor, the much-lauded Aventus. I think green masculines overall might seem dated to some younger guys, regardless of price point, but anyone that appreciates understated class will like smell of Green Irish Tweed.

As for me, I'd take Green Irish Tweed over Aventus any day, as green florals with a sandalwood touch will appeal to me 10 to 1 over fruity white florals with a dab of smoke, and something like Green Irish Tweed has better summer legs and a more-natural smell, as even though it contains the infamous "aqua-chem" that would later hold hands with calone and run amok through the 90's. Best use for Green Irish Tweed is in office or casual day wear, and like many Creeds of this ilk, could be a daily driver if the price isn't prohibitive. I also have more appreciation for GIT because it's audience has matured and simmered down, so I don't have to worry about overzealous type-A personalities going "beastmode" in my message box or on replies to my forum posts for taking pot shots at their bottled ego juice. Longtime fans of GIT have since learned that pride can be carried with diginity just like any other aspect they possess, and just like GIT itself, they don't need to be the loudest thing in the room to be noticed for their qualities. I don't know if this stuff smells like a walk through the Irish countryside as Creed claims, but of all the more-accessible Creeds I've smelled, this is so far the only one I'd take any effort to acquire, which speaks a lot. Pierre Bourdon would also stick around to help Olivier Creed with Bois du Portugal (1987), which was the "loud 80's powerhouse" in the Creed canon, and a stiffly mature fragrance that nobody under 30 should touch (smell it and see), but Green Irish Tweed still wins me over as the best masculine 80's Creed, and maybe best masculine Creed period not only for thrusting the label into the public eye and erecting a segment of ultra-luxe top-end department store smells which they still lead, but by being truly ahead of it's time with a gentle grace during a decade when ham-fisted animalics ruled the day, and thus an extremely timeless fragrance carries on. I'm still at odds with Creed pricing, but GIT approaches "normal" niche levels more often than newer entries in their catalog thanks to over 30+ years of market saturation. Thumbs up here!
26th September, 2018
An absolute classic that is very difficult to replicate! I get about 9 hours with two sprays. Projects for about 3 hours and bordering on a strong sillage. The opening may not be to everyones taste. It's like a bitter citrus punch in the face, but in a good way! I can understand people saying they get a cut grass vibe but for me it's like a different type of leafage/foliage, some sort of freshly cut greenary!
26th June, 2018
Very fresh and green, not aquatic. The verbena, violet and sandalwood really stand out.

Long-lasting with good sillage. You will be noticed.

A niche-classic that's easy to wear, pricey to buy.

Worth it.
15th May, 2018
Great combo of green, bright citrus in the opening and then drying down to a clean, classy and masculine violet.

GIT is versatile and classic and should work well for most occasions, climates, and ages.

Longevity is good, lasts all workday but the projection stops after the first 1-2 hours on me. After that time, it's still there but sits closer to the skin.

24th April, 2018
I don't usually go in for discussions around reformulation and similar, but there are a lot of reviews here and so a real corpus to work from. The consensus around 2012 in the negative reviews seems to be "too green". Well, when trying GIT on paper strips I did have the experience of smelling something green, and rich, mossy, and salty, to boot.

On the skin, though - it's not so much green as "violet". I really do not pick up much in the way of greenery here, and I wish I did. Rather, I feel as though I've just been through a tumble dryer with one of those fabric conditioning sheets they used to sell. I am essence of laundry.

To make it clear, there is nothing wrong with the quality here. The accords are bold and long-lasting. I would venture to say that this is different in kind from Cool Water. The problem is that iris and violet are two of my least favourite notes. The base notes do their job as fixative almost too well here, so while I get a good helping of salty ambergris, the main function is to amplify the clean violet leaf. You can see that your money goes on good ingredients but these are simply ingredients that I don't hanker after.

In short, for me, not green enough. And that bottle - I'm unaware of whether the clear glass has replaced the black flacon, but what odd packaging that black thing is. A classic masculine packaged as a steampunk prop.
09th April, 2018
Iris and verbena. It's the essential Creed if you don't want to pop for Aventus.

yes it resembles cool water, but it's obviously more well constructed. If you can get over the cool water thing, you'll love this.

Performance for me is great.

17th February, 2018
Green indeed and throughout. Wish the lemongrass opening lasted longer though. Ends with the everlasting violet drydown after 8 hours which is pleasant, but somewhat floral unisex. Think starting your day on a very green, clean, and expensive golf course. With dew still on the grass and the bright sun above you. Classic scent!
03rd December, 2017
Herb Citrus took a
Fancy ride with Amber Gris
And Violet Leaf.
14th October, 2017
Highest quality summer signature scent out there.
I wish i can afford to be more liberal with this stuff, and use it more often .
High quality and very pleasing scent all around.
Onlything i dont like about this is the price ..

I am now waiting for my Tres Nuit coming in this week , if it's half as good as GIT i will be extremely happy .......

10th October, 2017
Bottle:
Minimalist but very nice. List on side of bottle is woody, fresh spicy, citrus, leather.

Longevity:

Celebrity I imagine wearing this:
Clint Eastwood
Pierce Brosnan

Scent:
The single best masculine fragrance ever made.
The beginning is fresh sparkling green lemon verbena. The violet leaf and ambergris gives it a masculine edge that is marine but not aquatic. I think the base smells like the ocean. Oily and marine. A true gentleman's timeless fragrance.
30th September, 2017
GIT was my signature scent for 18 years, that was until they reformulated it.
The latest 2017 offering is nothing like vintage GIT (1995-2012) which is a real shame, as it was a MASTERPIECE, they 'new' version is simply not even close to the original.
In fact, i'd say the latest 2017 batch smells more like a less chemical smelling Aspen spliced with CW or even one of those smell alike jobbies you get on Ebay or Amazon.

If you think i'm wide of the mark by saying GIT has changed massively, consider this;
How can this still smell the same when the notes and where they are placed in the frag have changed? Its no longer the same ingredients or composition that was launched in '85, so surely it must smell different?

If you don't believe me not only have they added Lemon and Peppermint to the Top notes they have also removed Iris and put it in the Base and in doing so Creed have killed GIT's legendary opening

The notes listed above are wrong with the new notes being:
Top notes: Lemon, Indian Verbena, Peppermint
Heart notes: Violet leaves
Base notes: Florentine Iris, Sandalwood, Ambergris

Rant over, I'm off to find a new signature scent.............
25th September, 2017
Nice fresh frag very grassy with a touch of lemon in the opening. I am surprised I like it as it reminds me of opening a lawnmower. Expensive considering the cheaper alternatives that smell very similar. I do have to say though compared to Coolwater it is in a league of its own. moderate to good projection and good longevity on me. 7/10
26th July, 2017
Starts off lemony. I like it. There's something there that reminds me of Polo. It dried out and I still definitely smell it. Longevity lasted about 4hrs. My second Creed. Longevity average. Projection average. Nobody commented
Second try, didn't notice it at all once I left for work.
15th July, 2017
An extremely classy, elegant and versatile scent that even Creed's detractors give grudging respect to. This fragrance has a fresh cut grass and lemon verbena opening that is somehow familiar and yet unique. The rest of the fragrance's development is similar in producing a slightly nostalgic and yet timeless and classy aura. A great all round fragrance which can be worn in any situation and season (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). Perfectly unisex in fact and perfectly composed.

Fresh cut grass, citrus, iris, violet leaf and ambergris (presumably synthetic) done to perfection.

05th July, 2017
One of my favorite fragrances. The green opening is outstanding and puts me in a good mood whenever I wear it. Dry down is extremely pleasant. Longevity is at least 8 hours. Silage is excellent. More of a casual scent for warm weather months but can hold its own in the winter. I don't get the Cool Water comparisons which is too bad because I'd love to spend much less to get this scent. They're in the same ballpark but still quite different. GIT is truly one of a kind.
15th June, 2017 (last edited: 20th June, 2017)
Bloody Marvelous!!

To me GIT is the most versatile fragrance in the world. This smells great for daytime/casual. This smells great for formal/nights out. This smells great for date nights. It just smells great anytime of day or night. Has a classic smell to it. Very green but in a fresh way. Lasts and projects well.

02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 03rd December, 2018)
A beautiful green mossy fragrance with good projection and okay longevity. I kind of understand the comparisons with Davidoff Cool Water, but in a completely different league in terms of quality. I find GIT more understated and classy compared to CW in the same way a well fitted tweed sports jacket compares to a Harrington jacket.

This is what I'd like to say about this scent, but like almost all Creed fragrances it's overrated, synthetic and pretentious! :-(
19th March, 2017 (last edited: 06th May, 2017)