Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Find out more about Green Irish Tweed by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

clamnole's avatar

I share rogalal's view on GIT. I don't hate it, but I don't understand why it begets such accolades. I do agree that it is similar in composition to Cool Water, but GIT has much more depth and charachter and if all other things were equal, I'd probably choose GIT. However, IMO GIT is just not that great of a fragrance at $150 a bottle to where I have to own it.

17th April, 2015

rogalal's avatar

After all these years, I still just don't "get" Green Irish Tweed. What is it supposed to smell like? A bucket of melted plastic at the beach? Lemon juice mixed with shea butter? Weird-smelling leaves dipped in metal?

Whatever it is, it's much richer and substantial than pretty much any other aquatic, though I've never thought it smelled particularly good or understood how people smell this and think it smells "classy". I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either.

I keep waiting to have an "a-ha" moment where something falls into place and I realize how brilliant Green Irish Tweed is, but it's just not happening. Oh well.

09th April, 2015

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's avatar

Green Irish Tweed has been my favorite ‘modern’ Creed ever since I first got into this line many years ago. It’s also the one that I wear the most out of all the Creeds that I own. Upon application I got a fresh crisp opening that comes from the ‘French’ lemon verbena note with a hint of ‘Florentine’ Iris. To me, the opening comes off as both citrusy and green. It reminds me of getting out of the shower after finishing a good workout at the gym. It has a very refreshing opening. The opening eventually subsides allowing for the iris and violet to step up in the heart. The scent transforms into a very luscious green scent. At the drydown, the ‘Mysore’ sandalwood and ambergris notes come into play giving off the classic Creed drydown as noticed in many of its fragrances. To me, the drydown became slightly creamy and woodsy-like in addition to the green heart that is still present from earlier. Describing it overall, GIT is a masculine and wonderful refreshing scent.

Personally, I can’t really find an occasion that GIT wouldn’t be appropriate to be worn it. It’s well balanced and well suited that it can be worn all year round. It will work well in both formal and casual occasions whether it’s at an office meeting or going out for a drive on the weekends. I want to point out that GIT is more of a safe scent in that it won’t jump out people but at the same time it won’t always get noticed. Ill also note that it gets compared to other fragrances like Davidoff’s Cool Water and Bond No. 9 Chez Bond as noted from other reviewers. I do find those similarities but the quality of GIT is far superior IMO. Both the longevity and silage are great. In terms longevity I get anywhere between 4-8 hours depending on application and climate. Silage is moderate for the first 2-3 hours before staying closer to the skin for the remainder of the scent. Warmer months (ie: spring and summer) will help the scent project more and improve the longevity. Overall, Green Irish Tweed is one of the best scents that Creed has to offer. People trying out Creed for the first time, GIT would be a good place to start. GIT is my favorite ‘modern’ Creed scent and overall one of my all-time favorites from the entire Creed line.

04th April, 2015

sarlac1's avatar

You know Henry Ford's character, Norman, from "On Golden Pond"?...yeah, he'd wear this.

11th March, 2015

AMAR_420's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Lemon Cool Water indeed. Not bad.

18th January, 2015

mgrz's avatar

Female's love this! A quality unsurpassed! My wife's favorite.

24th December, 2014 (Last Edited: 23rd December, 2014)

ClassicFan's avatar

It starts off like a lemon COOL WATER except more subtle with a slight flowery note. Then it changes from the COOL WATER note to a violet smell. The violet keeps it fresh and an improvement over cool water. The violet then mixes with the Sandalwood/Ambergris and we are off to the races. This is my favorite. I got rid of my Cool Water stash.

22nd November, 2014

ConvertedByWetShaving's avatar

Ok... within what little I know, I would still venture to say that this is a quality fragrance. My first impression was (not to offend anybody), "Hmmm, maybe I could wear this in place of Acqua Di Gio and feel like less of a sissy...." (ADG is sort of the odd man out in my collection - I like it, it offers an occasional refreshing departure from my usual, but it still strikes me as kinda girly). Thing is, this then definitely develops into something perfumey. The clincher? My wife, "You smell like a girl." And there you have it, gentlemen. That was the clincher., confirming my impression I think it's a quality fragrance, but to me (and apparently to my wife as well), it's just too perfumey, it's feminine. For those who like or are comfortable with that, or for those who feel this is not "perfumey/feminine" (keep in mind, too, that based on the chemistry of one's skin, fragrances can take quite a different turn on different people), they can enjoy this - like I said, I think it's a quality fragrance (for whatever my thoughts are worth on that). But for those who prefer clearly masculine fragrances, definitely try before you buy, especially at the price. I don't regret buying a sample. I even kinda liked it at first sniff. But after about 3 or 4 wears I came to realize, yeah, I do kinda smell like a girl. Sticking with ADG as my odd man out (though Bleu De Chanel...)

31st October, 2014

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

I recently tried Green Irish Tweed and Aventus.

I think Green Irish Tweed is a little bit old for me, I am 38 but I just felt like it should be for an "older" guy (maybe in his 50's).

Perhaps when this was formulated (30 years ago next year) it was considered a younger man's type of fragrance? I don't know.

Then I tried Aventus, and this was exactly what I was looking for. I think Aventus is basically the modern Green Irish Tweed (if that makes sense?)

GIT is a nice fragrance, and I still give it thumbs up, but it just seemed a little bit "stuffed shirt" for me at the moment... maybe I should try it again in 10 years or so?

14th October, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Sorry, but what is the point of paying 200 bucks for GIT when you can get Cool Water for 20 or Aspen for less than 10?
    And honestly, I like Aspen more than either CW or GIT.
    Don't get me wrong, it is still a great fragrance, but if you can buy a similar and even better fragrance for less than a 20th of its price, it makes no sense to purchase it.
    I have to give GIT my thumbs down, not because I don't like it, but because it doesn't stand to the competition in the price comparison.

28th September, 2014

gav's avatar

My first creed ever and boy it speaks royalty. I have never ever experienced a fragrance developing so well on me. Every time I wear this it is like music, each and every note laid out perfectly creating a harmony of notes and their transition is so well defined and smooth on my skin. It is definitely a masterpiece !

20th September, 2014

NOiDONThaveBO's avatar

This was my first high-end (ultra high-end to me really) fragrance experience. I always find some new aspect of this to enjoy when I wear it, which is not every day admittedly. It manages to place a lot of different qualities on display at once. It has a timeless good smell. It is sweet, cheery and not something I would describe as dark, spicy or musky like a tobacco or leather scent.
    The Good: expertly crafted, smells of quality, pleasant.
    The Bad: Sometimes I want to smell spicier.
    Overall: I think it's very memorable and complex. After using up sample after sample, I finally bought a bottle.

22nd August, 2014

jumpfrog's avatar

Very odd to read a review stating there is no comparison to CW at all. As soon as I sprayed it I was transported back to my teens when I used to drench myself in CW. Longevity is really great with this one...but seriously why pay $200 for this and not $20 for CW. The average person will not be able to tell the difference. I really like it but because of that I would never shell out to buy this frag. Is it 20 x better than CW. No way! Save your cash and buy something else.

21st August, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

So much better than Cool Water but who really wants a tricked out version of pedestrian mediocrity? Clean, green iris and violet has been perfected in Cereus #7. Pass based on thesurely-you-are-joking price tag. 2.5 out of 5.

09th August, 2014

Casiquire's avatar

I've tried Aventus and now a Green Irish Tweed and had similar experiences with both: very good smell, gone in minutes. Creed just doesn't last on me. I liberally applied GIT on my wrists and couldn't smell it three hours later. I'm confused by the hype, though they do smell very good for that brief period of time. It's not fatigue, others have told me they can't smell anything on me either.

04th August, 2014

bisby's avatar

Funny how some popular fragrances can polarize some folks. GIT hit me hard with a type of nauseating sweetness that annoys me the way a heavy powder note does. I get the lemon briefly with all too much sweet floral violet. I literally have felt a bit sick with a very light application and feel better as it is drying down.

I have tended to gravitate toward lower sillage and somewhat more natural blends recently. This whacks me the way some scents I wore in the 80s like Van Cleef and Arpels did with its fairly aggressive powder. But the Violet leaf in GIT if that is what is causing the sweetness overshadows any green notes that might be running within.

I am not sure of the ambergris base since I have no aversion to amber notes which ambergris can apparently project. The synthetic floral which just carries on reminds me so much of the synthetic nature of most department store frags I try to avoid. At least I can say I tried it.

02nd August, 2014

Emoe's avatar

Not anything i would jump up and say, thats a great frag.

There are many better creed fragrances. Not sure what the hype is about on GIT, maybe it just doesnt suit my nose.

I really thought it was a mishmash kind of smell. On me it certainly didnt smell like a top end frag, more of a cheap chemist aftershave

01st August, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

I have been using Green Irish Tweed EDT for a while now. I decided to purchase the EDP and I am glad I did. It is more concentrated and it lasts longer on me. In my opinion, there is no comparison to Cool Water at all. Green Irish Tweed is sophisticated, green, natural and very masculine. I always get compliments every time I wear it. It is one of the best in the Creed line.

30th July, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

After sampling it multiple times my immediate question was 'WHATS NEW' which i havn't tried or smelt earlier except the amplified linear violet note which remains at base alongwith ambergris and cant let ambergris to make a powdery effect.

in my opinion there is a lot of fragrances which are created on same structure i.e. Cool Water, Aspen or Grey Finanel to some extent, so whats the big deal..........

Here comes the HYPE which has been created by spending millions on advertisement. the only thing i appreciate abt GIT is separation of note otherwise its not worthy of the praise and price.

A Generic Fresh Scent which can be worn in office ( if applied moderately ).

13th July, 2014

sdotlow's avatar

My signature cologne from age 14 to my mid twenties was Cool Water by Davidoff. I still have it in my collection, and use it from time to time during the summer. I had recently decided to blind buy GiT, since there were so many comparisons to CW I figured it would be a sure thing.

I have to say, had I smelled GiT without knowing the supposed connection to CW, the thought would have never come to my mind that they were connected. My Gf could not believe CW and GiT were supposed to smell alike.

With all of that being said, I am completely in love with GiT. It's a really fresh, clean scent. I blind bought GiT and Aventus and both have knocked my socks off. GiT will get far heavier usage, as I personally prefer it.

Wow. Just wow. Amazing juice.

05th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

2007:
    A basic business, meet-with-a-client, board-of-trustees fragrance. Near universal in its appeal, well-made to a fault, and utterly "safe" in almost any setting. Not particularly exciting, but just as comfy and dependable as that old tweed sport coat in my closet. Green Irish Tweed has, of course, been overexposed and much-imitated, but it’s still enormously useful. Amazing sillage, though little lasting power. The latter trait doesn't bother me, since I consider this scent strictly daytime and will almost always put on something more exotic at night.

2014:
    Green Irish Tweed smells markedly more harsh and "chemical" in its drydown than it once did, perhaps due to a shortage of natural Mysore sandalwood.

15th June, 2014

Female 2: 3/5, Impression: fresh and fruity
    Female 3: 5/5, Impression: summer sunshine in a bottle
    Male 1: 2/5, Impression: laundry detergent
    Male 2: 3/5, Impression: sharp

Projection: average + (with a generous splash, though)
    Longevity: as above (on the other hand, it might have been my fresh shirt what I've been smelling this afternoon - not all that distinguishable)

My opinion:
    If you want your perfume to be just a complementary element to your personal hygiene, if you want it to be fresh and pleasant – GO FOR IT. It will definitely make you smell fresh, clean and generally agreeable.
    If you wanted to spend some more cash to smell unique – FAIL!
    If you believe that a perfume should express something, besides being a nice scent – FAIL!
    Very “nice”, conformist, yuppie, teenage – BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.
    A luxuriated version of Davidoff’s Cool Water. Period.

(It would be a great idea to wear it to an interview for a lower level corporate position, where clean-cut, positive, attitude-free and easily-manipulated people are wanted; or to a date with a chastity-vow girl and her parents.)

OH, YEAH. I change my underpants 3 times a day.

06th June, 2014

Adama's avatar

I didn't put a review for GIT in?

Maybe it was due to the disappointment- I tried it years ago, waiting for the samples to arrive to try out The Most Popular Frag on Basenotes...

And I got a lot of violet, herbs, and musk. It smelled very dated and not at all like what I'd expected. I gave my other sample away as a freebie in a swap.

As with most Creeds I could smell the quality, but that doesn't mean much if the scent isn't knock-down fantastic considering the price point.

17th April, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

This is a complete mistery to me, as the entire Creed line. A blasting, plastic, unidimensional, flashy aftershave opening which should be supposed to recall a generic "eau de cologne" or "fougère" (keep in mind we are in 1985, so not really anything new, plenty of great products already in that type of market), and in fact, is more similar to any deodorant or bottled shave cream you may find at the mall. Which is where this should be supposed to sell for pennies. Cheap synthetics, cheap composition, cheap attitude (that "XVIII century heritage" is just pathetic). The drydown goes slightly better, a clean sheet of linalool comes and tones down the nauseating, monotone synthetic tackiness of the beginning. So at least you smell of some sort of "lavender". But if you are into elegant lavender drydowns, have you ever tried Czech & Speake or Truefitt & Hill? Or even Caron? That's how colognes are supposed to smell. For wealthy people with plenty of money to waste and no taste for fragrances.

03rd April, 2014 (Last Edited: 26th April, 2014)

turningthegreenlight's avatar

I heard about Creed years ago, but didn't start wearing any of their fragrances until about a year ago, mostly due to the price. I say without shame, and being fully aware of how unoriginal this opinion is, that GIT is amazing. I don't really have a nose for analyzing the scent profile of fragrances, and so I will spare us all of that redundancy, and will just say that smelling this makes me happy and confident. Isn't that what we are all really going for?! As for quality, Creed makes their products from natural ingredients. No one should get a headache from it. Don't worry about the Cool Water comps. I'm familiar with both, and the verbena (I'm told) in GIT is what sets the two apart, and in my opinion elevates GIT.

03rd April, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

It took me quite a while to appreciate GIT and the associations with another fragrance had really put me off even trying it.

After a rather wet and cool season in 2012-3, I opted to get myself on a split. I honestly felt that the opening was like washing powder, the sort that my mother would use in the washing machine every Saturday on laundry day.

I got over that association soon, the more I began to appreciate the lemon/verbena combo at first spritz. But that wasn't the best bit. I really fell for the violet leaf note which appears not long after the top has burnt off, that and it's luscious transition to sandalwood and ambergris. I'm not sure I detect the Iris in this, but if it's there, maybe it's what gives GIT that delicate saltiness that just blends in magnificently as the scent dries down.

That said, I am not one to fall for the hype around any scent. I appreciate GIT for what it is (and I don't have a clue what the 'Irish' theme is all about). I totally understand how this is a 'go to' fragrance for many. On most weeks, this is my Monday fragrance. Not quite a stand-out that I'd want for a special occasion, but too good to start the week off with anything else. I can't believe it took me this long to appreciate. Quite inoffensive and a superb alternative to a vetiver scent, which I somehow seem to have gone off.

The bottle is great and has become quite an icon. I love having the 120ml size in my wardrobe, although it makes it impossible to see how much juice is left inside!

Finally, a quick note about longevity. I find that GIT, worn in sensible amounts (not more than say 5 sprays) lasts on me for the best part of a whole day. I can easily smell it on me in the evenings, having applied early in the morning. It's not overpowering, but I certainly wouldn't spray more than five sprays.

28th March, 2014

Japs's avatar

Honestly, let's get serious. Why would anyone pay that kinda money for cool water ? This scent smells exactly like that only a bit more richer. Save your money and buy davidoff. This is so over rated. Good thing i got a sample. Good gosh

10th January, 2014

patsavouta's avatar

It's a masterpiece. Followed and reinformed quite succesfully by Cool Water, i have to respect the elder thing. Too expensive though and poor longevity.

30th October, 2013

's avatar

Very Green. Very Fresh

I recently bought a used bottle of this off of a fellow BNer. I do enjoy the fragrance as a whole, yet I feel like the opening notes are a bit too green for my taste. Once the fragrance settles down, it gets pretty enjoyable. If it lasted longer, easily a 5/5, but like most Creeds, longevity tends to be spotty. Maybe the batch I got wasn't the best, but still, very good fragrance.

Pros: Great dry down, solid projection
    Cons: Not a fan of the opening notes, not the best longevity"

18th October, 2013

MrTea's avatar

Great workhorse and a cracking scent.

This is the only fragrance I have come across that is still pleasant 4-8 hours after spraying. By that time everything else makes my nose feel 'hollow.' For a good demonstration of this ask for a test spray of Terre d'Hermes and smell it all day, or inhale smoke from a campfire. (For the record I own TdH and love it immediately after the spray).

So far this fragrance and Amouage's Ciel are the only ones that have passed the all-day test.

Scents I've tried and leave me blown out are Tabarome, Himalaya, Envy, Terre d'Hermes, Be Delicious and basically everything I've tried below the Creed price-point.

GIT smells to me like fresh cut grass, flowers, and a decent hit of ambergris. I wear it daily like I would my favourite jeans.

Pros: Long lasting, easy on the nose, versatile
    Cons: Simple and uncomplicated"

21st September, 2013