Positive Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Find out more about Green Irish Tweed by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

turningthegreenlight's avatar
    turningthegreenlight

I heard about Creed years ago, but didn't start wearing any of their fragrances until about a year ago, mostly due to the price. I say without shame, and being fully aware of how unoriginal this opinion is, that GIT is amazing. I don't really have a nose for analyzing the scent profile of fragrances, and so I will spare us all of that redundancy, and will just say that smelling this makes me happy and confident. Isn't that what we are all really going for?! As for quality, Creed makes their products from natural ingredients. No one should get a headache from it. Don't worry about the Cool Water comps. I'm familiar with both, and the verbena (I'm told) in GIT is what sets the two apart, and in my opinion elevates GIT.

03 April, 2014

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

It took me quite a while to appreciate GIT and the associations with another fragrance had really put me off even trying it.

After a rather wet and cool season in 2012-3, I opted to get myself on a split. I honestly felt that the opening was like washing powder, the sort that my mother would use in the washing machine every Saturday on laundry day.

I got over that association soon, the more I began to appreciate the lemon/verbena combo at first spritz. But that wasn't the best bit. I really fell for the violet leaf note which appears not long after the top has burnt off, that and it's luscious transition to sandalwood and ambergris. I'm not sure I detect the Iris in this, but if it's there, maybe it's what gives GIT that delicate saltiness that just blends in magnificently as the scent dries down.

That said, I am not one to fall for the hype around any scent. I appreciate GIT for what it is (and I don't have a clue what the 'Irish' theme is all about). I totally understand how this is a 'go to' fragrance for many. On most weeks, this is my Monday fragrance. Not quite a stand-out that I'd want for a special occasion, but too good to start the week off with anything else. I can't believe it took me this long to appreciate. Quite inoffensive and a superb alternative to a vetiver scent, which I somehow seem to have gone off.

The bottle is great and has become quite an icon. I love having the 120ml size in my wardrobe, although it makes it impossible to see how much juice is left inside!

Finally, a quick note about longevity. I find that GIT, worn in sensible amounts (not more than say 5 sprays) lasts on me for the best part of a whole day. I can easily smell it on me in the evenings, having applied early in the morning. It's not overpowering, but I certainly wouldn't spray more than five sprays.

28 March, 2014

patsavouta's avatar
    patsavouta

It's a masterpiece. Followed and reinformed quite succesfully by Cool Water, i have to respect the elder thing. Too expensive though and poor longevity.

30th October, 2013

's avatar

Very Green. Very Fresh

I recently bought a used bottle of this off of a fellow BNer. I do enjoy the fragrance as a whole, yet I feel like the opening notes are a bit too green for my taste. Once the fragrance settles down, it gets pretty enjoyable. If it lasted longer, easily a 5/5, but like most Creeds, longevity tends to be spotty. Maybe the batch I got wasn't the best, but still, very good fragrance.

Pros: Great dry down, solid projection
    Cons: Not a fan of the opening notes, not the best longevity"

18 October, 2013

MrTea's avatar
    MrTea

Great workhorse and a cracking scent.

This is the only fragrance I have come across that is still pleasant 4-8 hours after spraying. By that time everything else makes my nose feel 'hollow.' For a good demonstration of this ask for a test spray of Terre d'Hermes and smell it all day, or inhale smoke from a campfire. (For the record I own TdH and love it immediately after the spray).

So far this fragrance and Amouage's Ciel are the only ones that have passed the all-day test.

Scents I've tried and leave me blown out are Tabarome, Himalaya, Envy, Terre d'Hermes, Be Delicious and basically everything I've tried below the Creed price-point.

GIT smells to me like fresh cut grass, flowers, and a decent hit of ambergris. I wear it daily like I would my favourite jeans.

Pros: Long lasting, easy on the nose, versatile
    Cons: Simple and uncomplicated"

21st September, 2013

DanHD's avatar
    DanHD

The best

GIT is what started it all for me. It showed me how much a perfume can affect your life. It merges with experience of food, the outdoors, everyday things - not overwhelming just altering.

It can be a little too much bright green for me at the start, and I use another atomizer to control the spray, but those are just trivialities compared to the majesty of this perfume. It's definitely worth the expense.

Pros: Bright, complex, has depth too
    Cons: Opening can overwelm sometimes"

08 September, 2013

mercutio's avatar
    mercutio

My best friend forever

Let me start out by saying i really enjoy most of the Creed house fragrances and this was my very first Creed and niche fragrance I had ever purchased. I love this juice. It had me hooked from the first spray. Makes me feel like James Bond when I wear it. I tend to agree to disagree with those that say it is over-hyped/over-rated. If you feel like that; cool, good for you. But it fails to rain on my parade when I wear this weapons grade masterpiece. Projection is strong and longevity on me can go on for +14 hours. Opening is fresh and invigorating. Dry down could be a top seller on its own. Yeah, it's expensive and almost nobody in my neck of the woods has ever heard of it. But it never fails to give me an opportunity to educate an AdG user(no offense).

Pros: This baby is a WMD
    Cons: Price...I guess..."

07 September, 2013

BlacknIrish's avatar
    BlacknIrish

This is a "Go Get-Her" Masterpiece Creation

I know this site is called "Basenotes" but let's not get into all that. I'm going to keep it real. This fragrance here, you can't go wrong. Let me take that back, you can go wrong depending on where you purchase. Do you research and make sure it's the real deal Holyfield. Two things to know about Creed. DO NOT purchase this from a unknown non-reputable merchant. If you are unsure where to buy, purchase from the original location itself at the official UK Creed store. Shipping is available. It may be just a tad more expensive because of Euro to Dollar. Also, understand that this is sold as an eau de toilette as well as an eau de parfum. Both smell exactly the same, one just last a great deal longer. Prices may vary. I promise you this, a few full sprays of this and you'll notice your level of confidence rise to the occasion. Women love a man that smells good. And this fragrance is subpar to none.

Pros: Crisp, Clean, Fresh, Heavenly
    Cons: Price maybe... But if you want "Quality", you gotta spend."

20th August, 2013

Countdown12's avatar
    Countdown12

Great Everyday Frag

This is probably one of my favorite fragrances. In the morning while I'm deciding what fragrance to wear, it usually comes down between this and aventus.

Its very fresh, and the violet stands out to me, but the opening is what I dont like.

Usually people dislike the dry down, but enjoy the opening. I rather enjoy the scent an hour or two in.

When I go to work, I usually put on two or three sprays and I'm good for the day. Heck, even the next morning when I take a shower it rejuves the frag from the previous day and I can still smell it.

Not many lot/batch issues either.

Love it!!

Pros: Fresh, Great dry down
    Cons: Smells different at first.."

18 August, 2013

VincentVega's avatar
    VincentVega

Absolute classic. Masterpiece of a scent!

What more can one say about this work of art. Olivier Creed successfully bottled a bright, cool summers day while lush field grasses dance about in the wind. Think citrus, fresh vibrant grasses ... cotton linens blowing on the line. To me, Green Irish Tweed embodies it all.

As far as the scent breakdown, there's a lot going on here...so much so it's hard to really nail down the nuances. It's quite unique. Opens up with a blast of airy goodness...full of citrus and fresh vibrant grasses. As it dries down, that green freshness is joined by slight floral notes. Finally, an underlying wisp of cedar and woodiness add support along the journey.

Probably my most complimented scent. Good projection and longevity.

Pros: Aromatic. Bright and airy. Quality ingredients. Top notch bottle and sprayer.
    Cons: None."

18 August, 2013

commodity12's avatar
    commodity12

Love it

I love the this scent. I am fan of Bond No. 9 and I own a few bottles of the Chez Bond. GIT has a mature scent to you and it also dries down with a nice bold clean scent. Year round favorite scent.

Pros: Nice opening and longevity
    Cons: PRICE..... UGH "

02 August, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar
    TheNotoriousMAZ

Best Overall Performer I've Found

I really don't think that it's possible to dislike this fragrance. For something that was created in 1985, it still fits in perfectly well with modern fragrances and gets great comments from anyone who notices it. It has a natural greeness and uplifting freshness that hasn't been matched by anything that I have come across. The only thing that I can knock half a star off for is its unpredictable longevity. In my experience it may have something to do with the weather and level of humidity. Some days it lasts the whole day, and on others it's gone by noon.

Pros: Great crisp smell, Versatility
    Cons: Spotty longevity

21st June, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Fascinating Scent

The Creeds I have tried so far all have something unique about them that I can't quite put my finger on. It is not a creamy green, but a bright green - without being too sharp. I love all the stages of evolution on this one throughout the day, but I wish it lasted a bit longer. A well done fragrance.

Pros: Something Unique in its Greeness
    Cons: Longevity

21st June, 2013

Creed4life's avatar
    Creed4life

All Time Great

number 3 on my list

Pros: all year around scent
    Cons: to many fakes out there

12 June, 2013

Jridgen's avatar
    Jridgen

Fresh, Green, Classic

It's a fantastic fresh green scent, with the signature Creed ambergis which always adds a welcome creaminess to the fragrance.  GIT is great for all weather and occasions.  One of my frequently used work scents.

20th May, 2013

drumcondra1's avatar
    drumcondra1

Uplifting

Face it , it is quite rare, when fragrance upgrades your mood to higher definition. To the cool water defenders- flex your senses, make money.

16 May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar
    Mrpleasent

A classic

If you own one niche scent then own this as its so versatile.. Forget the cool water comparisons, this stuff is in a different league.

16 May, 2013

del's avatar
    del

Everything has been said about Green Irish Tweed already, so I’m going to make this concise, and avoid any Cool Water comparison:

GIT starts with strong but well-rounded green or leafy notes matched with lemony scent; sometimes it almost smells like garden plants. GIT transitions smoothly to the middle as the floral notes emerge with some non-sugary sweetness. Few hours later, GIT dries down to a sweet, musky scent. Longevity is average on my skin, but longer on fabric though; the scent projects strongly in the beginning, but gradually fades in the next couple of hours.

Overall, GIT is a natural-smelling, fresh, clean fragrance with a sporty vibe and great versatility. A solid starting niche fragrance for all ages, as Green Irish Tweed is a timeless classic. Two thumbs-up for this Creed.

06 May, 2013

Danielstripedtiger's avatar
    Danielstripedtiger

A great fragrance, very unique and green. It is similar to Cool Water, but more refined. I have had many many untrained noses compliment me on GIT saying"Oh, I love Cool Water!" so if you are short of cash, get the CW. I bought GIT only b/c I got a great deal on it, otherwise I would have stuck with Cool Water.

30th March, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar
    mlsweeney

Fantastic scent that is worth a blind buy. Even at this price range it is safe in my opinion because it smells fantastic and wouldn't be likely to offend. The best way to describe this fragrance is a safe scent with amped up ingredients for fantastic value. There is not one person I've talked with that didn't like this scent. For me it was very difficult to pinpoint specific notes which I think is a plus. My only drawback is the sprayer seems to produce a larger volume of juice so be careful when applying.

9.7/10

22 March, 2013

Mick_Trick's avatar
    Mick_Trick
    Ireland Ireland

Since it's launch in 1985 Green Irish Tweed (GIT) has been making waves, created by Pierre Bourdon, it was truly groundbreaking for its time. Two years later Mr Bourdon brought his idea to the masses with Cool Water, yes, these two frags share similarities, and Cool Water is also a great fragrance, but if feels built to a price, where the quality of GIT is apparent to those who appreciate these things. Now that's out of the way on to GIT:

GIT opens with a herbal ultra green accord, that reminds me of walking through a dewy wet valley at dawn brushing against moist tall grasses and ferns (I live in Ireland, so I really feel the Irish greenness of this) The heart softens away from the herbal accord and a soft apple note comes into play, sweetening and softening the journey in a really nice way, this sometimes reminds me of being in an orchard. The drydown is consists of the green apple giving way to the classic Creed ambergris accord, and leaves a tantalisingly fresh and inviting skin scent.

Great silage for 4-6 hours, and up to the 10 hour mark as a skin scent. Works great anytime, but incredible on a damp spring day, this is one on my favorites and will always have a place in my heart (and collection)..... Bravo!

07 March, 2013

arindam43's avatar
    arindam43

I'll never forget the first time I sampled this at Neiman's - the colognes I'd been using/sampling before were in the "Chrome/Curve/ADG" class and generally topped out at "well, that smells nice, I guess", and I was immensely skeptical that any fragrance could be worth the frankly ridiculous prices that Creeds and other high end frags go for. However, a spritz on the wrist, a sniff, and....I don't there are really words for what I felt. It hooked me so strongly right from the first spray that I didn't even bother sampling anything else for fear of ruining it, and spent the whole evening sniffing my wrist every 15 minutes, looking like a complete idiot (but I'd still do it again!).

A few months later, after biting the bullet and purchasing a bottle, I can confidently say that GIT has been worth every penny and then some. There's not much that hasn't been said in terms of how GIT smells - fresh, green, clean, crisp, and any other number of similar adjectives which are all accurate but don't remotely add up to describing the final product. It really is too layered and complex for words like "green" and "fresh" to capture the essence of how it smells. All I can say is find your nearest Neiman's/Saks and try it out yourself!

Projection is great - my coworkers have noticed this fragrance on multiple occasions, and I work in an environment which sometimes reaches hundreds of people in reasonably close proximity and god knows how many competing smells. I don't what is considered good longevity, but I still get traces of this 6-7 hours later, which is good enough for me.

I've sampled many of the other well known Creeds - Aventus is a close second and probably better if you want compliments - and started branching out into other famous/well-known niche fragrance designers, but to date nothing has managed to knock my socks off and bedazzle me in quite the way that GIT did my first time around (and still continues to do!). If I had one complaint, it would be that the atomizer sprays way too much fragrance with a full depression - as much as I'd like to go with the "more is better" approach, I think half-sprays per body region (wrist/neck/chest/etc.) are better, both for saving the juice and to avoid overdoing things.

10/10, 5 stars, A+, an absolute keeper in my book!

22 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2013)

jbthorpe's avatar
    jbthorpe

From a distance this does smell very close to Cool Water, but smelling it up close they are miles apart. As has been stated in other reviews, GIT is much more natural smelling and beautiful whereas Cool Water smells very synthetic. I used to love Cool Water until I had a chance to test it side by side with GIT - and I have to say that GIT ruined Cool Water for me. I can't even wear CW anymore without constantly thinking about how synthetic smelling it is. I will say though, that my wife says that she prefers Cool Water over GIT when I wear them - but I think that is just an attempt on her part to keep me from spending ten times as much for a bottle of GIT when I've already got a Costco size bottle of Cool Water!

The bottom line is that this is a beautiful, fresh, green (reminds me of Irish Spring soap - but in a good way, not a soapy, nasty way) fragrance that is much nicer and more refined than its distant cousin Cool Water. Is it worth the extra money? I've never paid full retail for GIT, but I do feel that it is worth it to pay much more for this fragrance than you would for a cheap bottle of Cool Water.

30th January, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar
    Robzrx7

Wow... after smelling different fragrances by Creed I can understand why they have the reputation that they do. I can also understand why people would say GIT and Cool Water smell SIMILAR but definitely not the same. I mean you wouldn't mistake one for the other. GIT is definitely more refined and smooth while Cool Water is a bit harsh and in your face. I have only sampled this on test paper but can't wait to give it a true test drive and update this review. As of now I would say this is definitely a great blind buy... *UPDATE* Sprayed this on this morning... the fragrance is every bit as specatular as it was smelled straight from the bottle however... it's 3 hours later and I can barely smell it on my arm even with my nose directly to the skin, I get a slight whiff of it from the sprays on my neck. So disappointing that a scent so spectacular has such poor longevity.

06 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2013)

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

It's a shame that I forgot to write a review about this legendary fragrance.
    I thought cool water and this one are the same, but after sampling GIT few times and testing both side by side, I realize that how different they are.
    Cool water is junk against this fragrance. same DNA but huge differences in quality and smell.
    The opening of this fragrance is very fresh, green and herbal with really great quality and so natural smelling scent and some sweetness in the background.
    Very beautiful opening. I love it.
    In the mid and base you have that beautiful natural smell plus more sweetness.
    I don't know about you guys but the sweetness in this fragrance is something really special. it's not like sweet vanilla, tonka bean, benzoin or something like those.
    It does have some sort of milky smell with hint of sweetness in it.
    Actually I get a white and fresh milk smell plus some sweetness and those beautiful fresh and green scents at same time.
    This is what I'm getting from this fragrance.
    Throw out your cool water and buy a bottle of this and then you will realize how great this is.
    Very good projection and longevity.

20th November, 2012

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Experienced and inexperienced both agree that this is just an expensive Cool Water. Alas, I myself agree with them, however, Creed GIT is more refined and more natural and here I must give it credit. The only credit I can give to it. No matter, I like it. I won't rate it neutral or negatively on account it is expensive and completely reminds of Cool Water. This scent was made before Cool Water, and it is Cool Water that is a rip off, albeit a good one, not the other way around.

17 November, 2012

taint it sweet's avatar
    taint it sweet

My wife's favorite. I think this may be one of my favorite scents as well. I agree that it smells a little like Cool Water, but I definitely think this one is much better and worth the extra money. It's a very refreshing scent. I don't do well with breaking down notes, but I will say that the dry down is amazing.

29 October, 2012

giuspa's avatar
    giuspa

Remarkable. A piece of history. Great EdT, with a wild, herbal approach. There's a hint of balsamic and marine notes, like often in Creed's products. But this one opened the road. A great classical fragrance.

14 October, 2012

Green Irish Stud's avatar
    Green Irish Stud

This is obviously very popular and it's for a reason. I initially tried this fragrance at a Neiman Marcus while sampling all the Creeds and I passed on it after sniffing it on the card. The thing is... it opens up with almost all LEMON and after about 10 minutes the lemon dies down and you get to the heart of this amazing fragrance. It is the most fresh and clean smell I have ever tried. Perfect for spring and summer, could definitely be worn year round or as a signature scent. I love this cologne!

24 September, 2012

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Little can be added. The Verbena dominates the top notes, and after a minutes it is followed by an Iris-fougere notes that subsequently leads to a surprisingly convincing Sandalwood drydown. The latter is leading to the typical Creed Ambergris note that is here never as dominating as in other Creeds. It is a lively scent, like a spring morning, and it's versatility always surprises me. A great classic fougere cologne with adequate silage and projection. On me the longevity is about three hours, but easily two or three times as long on the clothes. The after shave balm is of phenomenal quality. Cool Water leaves a flatter, less nuanced and more synthetic impression on my skin.

21st September, 2012