Positive Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Find out more about Green Irish Tweed by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

mgrz's avatar

Female's love this! A quality unsurpassed! My wife's favorite.

24th December, 2014 (Last Edited: 23rd December, 2014)

ClassicFan's avatar

It starts off like a lemon COOL WATER except more subtle with a slight flowery note. Then it changes from the COOL WATER note to a violet smell. The violet keeps it fresh and an improvement over cool water. The violet then mixes with the Sandalwood/Ambergris and we are off to the races. This is my favorite. I got rid of my Cool Water stash.

22nd November, 2014

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

I recently tried Green Irish Tweed and Aventus.

I think Green Irish Tweed is a little bit old for me, I am 38 but I just felt like it should be for an "older" guy (maybe in his 50's).

Perhaps when this was formulated (30 years ago next year) it was considered a younger man's type of fragrance? I don't know.

Then I tried Aventus, and this was exactly what I was looking for. I think Aventus is basically the modern Green Irish Tweed (if that makes sense?)

GIT is a nice fragrance, and I still give it thumbs up, but it just seemed a little bit "stuffed shirt" for me at the moment... maybe I should try it again in 10 years or so?

14th October, 2014

gav's avatar

My first creed ever and boy it speaks royalty. I have never ever experienced a fragrance developing so well on me. Every time I wear this it is like music, each and every note laid out perfectly creating a harmony of notes and their transition is so well defined and smooth on my skin. It is definitely a masterpiece !

20th September, 2014

NOiDONThaveBO's avatar

This was my first high-end (ultra high-end to me really) fragrance experience. I always find some new aspect of this to enjoy when I wear it, which is not every day admittedly. It manages to place a lot of different qualities on display at once. It has a timeless good smell. It is sweet, cheery and not something I would describe as dark, spicy or musky like a tobacco or leather scent.
    The Good: expertly crafted, smells of quality, pleasant.
    The Bad: Sometimes I want to smell spicier.
    Overall: I think it's very memorable and complex. After using up sample after sample, I finally bought a bottle.

22nd August, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

I have been using Green Irish Tweed EDT for a while now. I decided to purchase the EDP and I am glad I did. It is more concentrated and it lasts longer on me. In my opinion, there is no comparison to Cool Water at all. Green Irish Tweed is sophisticated, green, natural and very masculine. I always get compliments every time I wear it. It is one of the best in the Creed line.

30th July, 2014

sdotlow's avatar

My signature cologne from age 14 to my mid twenties was Cool Water by Davidoff. I still have it in my collection, and use it from time to time during the summer. I had recently decided to blind buy GiT, since there were so many comparisons to CW I figured it would be a sure thing.

I have to say, had I smelled GiT without knowing the supposed connection to CW, the thought would have never come to my mind that they were connected. My Gf could not believe CW and GiT were supposed to smell alike.

With all of that being said, I am completely in love with GiT. It's a really fresh, clean scent. I blind bought GiT and Aventus and both have knocked my socks off. GiT will get far heavier usage, as I personally prefer it.

Wow. Just wow. Amazing juice.

05th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

2007:
    A basic business, meet-with-a-client, board-of-trustees fragrance. Near universal in its appeal, well-made to a fault, and utterly "safe" in almost any setting. Not particularly exciting, but just as comfy and dependable as that old tweed sport coat in my closet. Green Irish Tweed has, of course, been overexposed and much-imitated, but it’s still enormously useful. Amazing sillage, though little lasting power. The latter trait doesn't bother me, since I consider this scent strictly daytime and will almost always put on something more exotic at night.

2014:
    Green Irish Tweed smells markedly more harsh and "chemical" in its drydown than it once did, perhaps due to a shortage of natural Mysore sandalwood.

15th June, 2014

turningthegreenlight's avatar

I heard about Creed years ago, but didn't start wearing any of their fragrances until about a year ago, mostly due to the price. I say without shame, and being fully aware of how unoriginal this opinion is, that GIT is amazing. I don't really have a nose for analyzing the scent profile of fragrances, and so I will spare us all of that redundancy, and will just say that smelling this makes me happy and confident. Isn't that what we are all really going for?! As for quality, Creed makes their products from natural ingredients. No one should get a headache from it. Don't worry about the Cool Water comps. I'm familiar with both, and the verbena (I'm told) in GIT is what sets the two apart, and in my opinion elevates GIT.

03rd April, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

It took me quite a while to appreciate GIT and the associations with another fragrance had really put me off even trying it.

After a rather wet and cool season in 2012-3, I opted to get myself on a split. I honestly felt that the opening was like washing powder, the sort that my mother would use in the washing machine every Saturday on laundry day.

I got over that association soon, the more I began to appreciate the lemon/verbena combo at first spritz. But that wasn't the best bit. I really fell for the violet leaf note which appears not long after the top has burnt off, that and it's luscious transition to sandalwood and ambergris. I'm not sure I detect the Iris in this, but if it's there, maybe it's what gives GIT that delicate saltiness that just blends in magnificently as the scent dries down.

That said, I am not one to fall for the hype around any scent. I appreciate GIT for what it is (and I don't have a clue what the 'Irish' theme is all about). I totally understand how this is a 'go to' fragrance for many. On most weeks, this is my Monday fragrance. Not quite a stand-out that I'd want for a special occasion, but too good to start the week off with anything else. I can't believe it took me this long to appreciate. Quite inoffensive and a superb alternative to a vetiver scent, which I somehow seem to have gone off.

The bottle is great and has become quite an icon. I love having the 120ml size in my wardrobe, although it makes it impossible to see how much juice is left inside!

Finally, a quick note about longevity. I find that GIT, worn in sensible amounts (not more than say 5 sprays) lasts on me for the best part of a whole day. I can easily smell it on me in the evenings, having applied early in the morning. It's not overpowering, but I certainly wouldn't spray more than five sprays.

28th March, 2014

patsavouta's avatar

It's a masterpiece. Followed and reinformed quite succesfully by Cool Water, i have to respect the elder thing. Too expensive though and poor longevity.

30th October, 2013

's avatar

Very Green. Very Fresh

I recently bought a used bottle of this off of a fellow BNer. I do enjoy the fragrance as a whole, yet I feel like the opening notes are a bit too green for my taste. Once the fragrance settles down, it gets pretty enjoyable. If it lasted longer, easily a 5/5, but like most Creeds, longevity tends to be spotty. Maybe the batch I got wasn't the best, but still, very good fragrance.

Pros: Great dry down, solid projection
    Cons: Not a fan of the opening notes, not the best longevity"

18th October, 2013

MrTea's avatar

Great workhorse and a cracking scent.

This is the only fragrance I have come across that is still pleasant 4-8 hours after spraying. By that time everything else makes my nose feel 'hollow.' For a good demonstration of this ask for a test spray of Terre d'Hermes and smell it all day, or inhale smoke from a campfire. (For the record I own TdH and love it immediately after the spray).

So far this fragrance and Amouage's Ciel are the only ones that have passed the all-day test.

Scents I've tried and leave me blown out are Tabarome, Himalaya, Envy, Terre d'Hermes, Be Delicious and basically everything I've tried below the Creed price-point.

GIT smells to me like fresh cut grass, flowers, and a decent hit of ambergris. I wear it daily like I would my favourite jeans.

Pros: Long lasting, easy on the nose, versatile
    Cons: Simple and uncomplicated"

21st September, 2013

DanHD's avatar

The best

GIT is what started it all for me. It showed me how much a perfume can affect your life. It merges with experience of food, the outdoors, everyday things - not overwhelming just altering.

It can be a little too much bright green for me at the start, and I use another atomizer to control the spray, but those are just trivialities compared to the majesty of this perfume. It's definitely worth the expense.

Pros: Bright, complex, has depth too
    Cons: Opening can overwelm sometimes"

08th September, 2013

mercutio's avatar

My best friend forever

Let me start out by saying i really enjoy most of the Creed house fragrances and this was my very first Creed and niche fragrance I had ever purchased. I love this juice. It had me hooked from the first spray. Makes me feel like James Bond when I wear it. I tend to agree to disagree with those that say it is over-hyped/over-rated. If you feel like that; cool, good for you. But it fails to rain on my parade when I wear this weapons grade masterpiece. Projection is strong and longevity on me can go on for +14 hours. Opening is fresh and invigorating. Dry down could be a top seller on its own. Yeah, it's expensive and almost nobody in my neck of the woods has ever heard of it. But it never fails to give me an opportunity to educate an AdG user(no offense).

Pros: This baby is a WMD
    Cons: Price...I guess..."

07th September, 2013

BlacknIrish's avatar

This is a "Go Get-Her" Masterpiece Creation

I know this site is called "Basenotes" but let's not get into all that. I'm going to keep it real. This fragrance here, you can't go wrong. Let me take that back, you can go wrong depending on where you purchase. Do you research and make sure it's the real deal Holyfield. Two things to know about Creed. DO NOT purchase this from a unknown non-reputable merchant. If you are unsure where to buy, purchase from the original location itself at the official UK Creed store. Shipping is available. It may be just a tad more expensive because of Euro to Dollar. Also, understand that this is sold as an eau de toilette as well as an eau de parfum. Both smell exactly the same, one just last a great deal longer. Prices may vary. I promise you this, a few full sprays of this and you'll notice your level of confidence rise to the occasion. Women love a man that smells good. And this fragrance is subpar to none.

Pros: Crisp, Clean, Fresh, Heavenly
    Cons: Price maybe... But if you want "Quality", you gotta spend."

20th August, 2013

Countdown12's avatar

Great Everyday Frag

This is probably one of my favorite fragrances. In the morning while I'm deciding what fragrance to wear, it usually comes down between this and aventus.

Its very fresh, and the violet stands out to me, but the opening is what I dont like.

Usually people dislike the dry down, but enjoy the opening. I rather enjoy the scent an hour or two in.

When I go to work, I usually put on two or three sprays and I'm good for the day. Heck, even the next morning when I take a shower it rejuves the frag from the previous day and I can still smell it.

Not many lot/batch issues either.

Love it!!

Pros: Fresh, Great dry down
    Cons: Smells different at first.."

18th August, 2013

VincentVega's avatar

Absolute classic. Masterpiece of a scent!

What more can one say about this work of art. Olivier Creed successfully bottled a bright, cool summers day while lush field grasses dance about in the wind. Think citrus, fresh vibrant grasses ... cotton linens blowing on the line. To me, Green Irish Tweed embodies it all.

As far as the scent breakdown, there's a lot going on here...so much so it's hard to really nail down the nuances. It's quite unique. Opens up with a blast of airy goodness...full of citrus and fresh vibrant grasses. As it dries down, that green freshness is joined by slight floral notes. Finally, an underlying wisp of cedar and woodiness add support along the journey.

Probably my most complimented scent. Good projection and longevity.

Pros: Aromatic. Bright and airy. Quality ingredients. Top notch bottle and sprayer.
    Cons: None."

18th August, 2013

commodity12's avatar

Love it

I love the this scent. I am fan of Bond No. 9 and I own a few bottles of the Chez Bond. GIT has a mature scent to you and it also dries down with a nice bold clean scent. Year round favorite scent.

Pros: Nice opening and longevity
    Cons: PRICE..... UGH "

02nd August, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar

Best Overall Performer I've Found

I really don't think that it's possible to dislike this fragrance. For something that was created in 1985, it still fits in perfectly well with modern fragrances and gets great comments from anyone who notices it. It has a natural greeness and uplifting freshness that hasn't been matched by anything that I have come across. The only thing that I can knock half a star off for is its unpredictable longevity. In my experience it may have something to do with the weather and level of humidity. Some days it lasts the whole day, and on others it's gone by noon.

Pros: Great crisp smell, Versatility
    Cons: Spotty longevity

21st June, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Fascinating Scent

The Creeds I have tried so far all have something unique about them that I can't quite put my finger on. It is not a creamy green, but a bright green - without being too sharp. I love all the stages of evolution on this one throughout the day, but I wish it lasted a bit longer. A well done fragrance.

Pros: Something Unique in its Greeness
    Cons: Longevity

21st June, 2013

Creed4life's avatar

All Time Great

number 3 on my list

Pros: all year around scent
    Cons: to many fakes out there

12th June, 2013

Jridgen's avatar

Fresh, Green, Classic

It's a fantastic fresh green scent, with the signature Creed ambergis which always adds a welcome creaminess to the fragrance.  GIT is great for all weather and occasions.  One of my frequently used work scents.

20th May, 2013

drumcondra1's avatar

Uplifting

Face it , it is quite rare, when fragrance upgrades your mood to higher definition. To the cool water defenders- flex your senses, make money.

16th May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

A classic

If you own one niche scent then own this as its so versatile.. Forget the cool water comparisons, this stuff is in a different league.

16th May, 2013

del's avatar

Everything has been said about Green Irish Tweed already, so I’m going to make this concise, and avoid any Cool Water comparison:

GIT starts with strong but well-rounded green or leafy notes matched with lemony scent; sometimes it almost smells like garden plants. GIT transitions smoothly to the middle as the floral notes emerge with some non-sugary sweetness. Few hours later, GIT dries down to a sweet, musky scent. Longevity is average on my skin, but longer on fabric though; the scent projects strongly in the beginning, but gradually fades in the next couple of hours.

Overall, GIT is a natural-smelling, fresh, clean fragrance with a sporty vibe and great versatility. A solid starting niche fragrance for all ages, as Green Irish Tweed is a timeless classic. Two thumbs-up for this Creed.

06th May, 2013

Danielstripedtiger's avatar

A great fragrance, very unique and green. It is similar to Cool Water, but more refined. I have had many many untrained noses compliment me on GIT saying"Oh, I love Cool Water!" so if you are short of cash, get the CW. I bought GIT only b/c I got a great deal on it, otherwise I would have stuck with Cool Water.

30th March, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

Fantastic scent that is worth a blind buy. Even at this price range it is safe in my opinion because it smells fantastic and wouldn't be likely to offend. The best way to describe this fragrance is a safe scent with amped up ingredients for fantastic value. There is not one person I've talked with that didn't like this scent. For me it was very difficult to pinpoint specific notes which I think is a plus. My only drawback is the sprayer seems to produce a larger volume of juice so be careful when applying.

9.7/10

22nd March, 2013

Mick_Trick's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Since it's launch in 1985 Green Irish Tweed (GIT) has been making waves, created by Pierre Bourdon, it was truly groundbreaking for its time. Two years later Mr Bourdon brought his idea to the masses with Cool Water, yes, these two frags share similarities, and Cool Water is also a great fragrance, but if feels built to a price, where the quality of GIT is apparent to those who appreciate these things. Now that's out of the way on to GIT:

GIT opens with a herbal ultra green accord, that reminds me of walking through a dewy wet valley at dawn brushing against moist tall grasses and ferns (I live in Ireland, so I really feel the Irish greenness of this) The heart softens away from the herbal accord and a soft apple note comes into play, sweetening and softening the journey in a really nice way, this sometimes reminds me of being in an orchard. The drydown is consists of the green apple giving way to the classic Creed ambergris accord, and leaves a tantalisingly fresh and inviting skin scent.

Great silage for 4-6 hours, and up to the 10 hour mark as a skin scent. Works great anytime, but incredible on a damp spring day, this is one on my favorites and will always have a place in my heart (and collection)..... Bravo!

07th March, 2013

arindam43's avatar

I'll never forget the first time I sampled this at Neiman's - the colognes I'd been using/sampling before were in the "Chrome/Curve/ADG" class and generally topped out at "well, that smells nice, I guess", and I was immensely skeptical that any fragrance could be worth the frankly ridiculous prices that Creeds and other high end frags go for. However, a spritz on the wrist, a sniff, and....I don't there are really words for what I felt. It hooked me so strongly right from the first spray that I didn't even bother sampling anything else for fear of ruining it, and spent the whole evening sniffing my wrist every 15 minutes, looking like a complete idiot (but I'd still do it again!).

A few months later, after biting the bullet and purchasing a bottle, I can confidently say that GIT has been worth every penny and then some. There's not much that hasn't been said in terms of how GIT smells - fresh, green, clean, crisp, and any other number of similar adjectives which are all accurate but don't remotely add up to describing the final product. It really is too layered and complex for words like "green" and "fresh" to capture the essence of how it smells. All I can say is find your nearest Neiman's/Saks and try it out yourself!

Projection is great - my coworkers have noticed this fragrance on multiple occasions, and I work in an environment which sometimes reaches hundreds of people in reasonably close proximity and god knows how many competing smells. I don't what is considered good longevity, but I still get traces of this 6-7 hours later, which is good enough for me.

I've sampled many of the other well known Creeds - Aventus is a close second and probably better if you want compliments - and started branching out into other famous/well-known niche fragrance designers, but to date nothing has managed to knock my socks off and bedazzle me in quite the way that GIT did my first time around (and still continues to do!). If I had one complaint, it would be that the atomizer sprays way too much fragrance with a full depression - as much as I'd like to go with the "more is better" approach, I think half-sprays per body region (wrist/neck/chest/etc.) are better, both for saving the juice and to avoid overdoing things.

10/10, 5 stars, A+, an absolute keeper in my book!

22nd February, 2013 (Last Edited: 25th February, 2013)