Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Find out more about Green Irish Tweed by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

dubyahjay's avatar

This blows Curve and Cool Water away. The quality is just so much better and the green opening and superb drydown make this one of the most versatile frags out there. The sillage and longevity are very good and almost as good as BDP. If green is your thing then try this one.

12th October, 2006

sikkinixx's avatar

This is a strong empowering frag. A pleasure everytime I wear it due to the compliments from the ladies. It's a must have in every frag collection.

06th October, 2006

jbg95's avatar

I just can't get into GIT...I keep trying and it starts out nice enough and promising. But then it starts to overwhelm and I feel like I'm enveloped in some kind of industrial sanitizer or deodorant. It's definitely a quality scent and has staying power, but I just don't like the scent. Original Vetiver, SMW, MI and Tabarome Millesime are working much better for me. Bummer.

05th October, 2006

CuyahogaJoe's avatar

After reading all of the glorious praise in various threads, I anxiously awaited my precious parcel. Finally it had arrived. Like a little boy on Christmas morning, the package was disemboweled. Oh my God, just the site of it made me grin from ear to ear. I trembled...Be careful, remove the cap with the hands of a Saint as not to spill a drop of this rare Liqueur. FINALLY, I am going to smell the absolute nectar of the gods...the tears of Aphrodite herself. What do I do? How do I put it on?..Where? A little on my wrists, that will do it...and then the moment of moments, the one I'll remember like my wedding, my first born son, my Grandparents Golden anniversary...all wrapped up into one ceremonious moment..."The Moment of TRUTH"

What the hell? There MUST be some mistake...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I got robbed, that dirty S.O.B. refilled the bottle with....Coolwater???? I accidentally bought that stuff years ago and tossed it in the trash a few days later. Oh No, it can't be true, but alas, it is true. The sharp, piercing opening notes remind my of toilet bowl cleaner, after 10 minutes a musty background emerges with a now stale cut lawn finally overtaking the bathroom cleaner. later the clumps of overgrown cut grass are rained upon, left to bake in the sun and then raked over the white mold and bacterial digestive secretions which finish this dime store paperback romance novel...aren't they all alike?

Very disappointing to say the least. The one positive thing I can say though is, it is multi-dimensional.

30th September, 2006

ToadKings's avatar

What is to say that has not been said already. To me this is a very verastile fragnance. I could wear this anytime, anywhere, and in any type of weather. When I don't know what to wear for the day, I know GIT has got my back. The top notes give off a very green and earthy feeling which makes me feel clean, fresh, and one with nature. When the top notes leave I get an amazing sweet but earthy smell that takes my breath away. I would suggest Green Irish Tweed to just about anyone becuase it is so versatile. A must have in any collection.

27th September, 2006

Misanthro's avatar

I can definitely understand why people compare this fragrance to Cool Water, but GIT is so much more than that. It only vaguely resembles Cool Water for the first few minutes. The drydown is much subtler to the point that it almost smells like a different fragrance altogether. I bought this for my fiance, who does not normally wear cologne, and he fell in love with it immediately. It's a cool, classy, sophisticated fragrance.

I'm not sure why people are criticizing the sillage; it lasts for hours.

Overall, I'd say this is a fragrance for the man who doesn't need or want to impress anyone. It's perfect for daily wear or a dressy-casual evening adventure. It must be worn to be appreciated.

10th September, 2006

Topper's avatar

This is the gold standard of green scents. Simultaneously extroverted, refined and complex. Light-hearted, but beautiful. If it were a musical instrument, it would be a trumpet. Like most Creed scents I’ve experienced, I would describe it as smelling bright and clear. There’s nothing dark or muddy in it. It is a romantic scent. And a sexy scent. While all scents smell differently on, and to different people, women mostly seem to like it. And most seem to like it a lot!

When I first sampled GIT, I smelled mainly cut grass, and didn’t think I liked the scent. But as the top notes wore down and the accord focussed more on the floral heart notes and powdery musk basenotes, my perception changed. Repeated wearings showed layers of richness and complexity, which had first escaped me. The top notes aren’t grass, but citrus. I neither know, nor will attempt to name them all. But the first impression is of grass because the citrus is in accord with the iris and whatever other floral bits makeup the heartnotes. There are similarities to Creed’s OV. But the both the citrus and florals are brighter and bolder in GIT. And there is ultimately no vetiver to undercut their higher register.

Perhaps four hours after application, the citrus topnotes are largely gone. The basenotes are rising to combine with the remaining florals into a rich, creamy, powdery accord that I suspect many have described as the Creed house note. I love it! It works on me, and for me. Sillage is prodigious, and longevity is excellent for me too. Faint suggestions even linger the next day after a shower.

Despite it’s excellent sillage, this scent has seemed to offend no one, and delight many. I would have to describe it as an elegant casual scent. Or perhaps one that is casually elegant. And if it works for you, I believe it’s not out of place in almost any setting.

09th September, 2006

Rob's avatar

Yet another positive Green Irish Tweed review... what is the world coming to?

I tried Green Irish Tweed a few years ago, while picking up whatever run-of-the-mill cologne was popular in my high school at the time. I knew nothing of Creed, or colognes in general, and was curious about the name alone. I shelled out the $200-250+ CDN for it on the spot.

Overrated? Absolutely... "Greatest", "Extremely Classy", "Sublime", "Heavenly", "Unique", "Legendary", etc. This one's suffered all manner of exaltation. It should be pointed out however, that a lot of this praise does stem from inheirently good qualities of the fragrance. The initial notes are somewhat pleasant, but not all too spectacular. Citrusy, fresh, nothing overwhelmingly unique. It is a must to allow this one to follow it's course though, as the drydown is where this one shines. It's very safe and inoffensive. Such characteristics are undesirable to some, but as a (personal) general rule, the fragrance should not be far more complex than the wearer. (heh)

As for the debate on similar fragrances, I wont contribute much. I've owned Cool Water, tried Curve and what have you, but I will still make sure I have a bottle of Tweed. They are similar, but not so to the point that discerning people will be unable to differentiate them.

Personally, I've never had the pleasure of having the mysterious "arse" note creep up on me, nor have I had any issues with longevity or sillage. I never use more than one spray. It dries down relatively quick, but will remain strong right till next morning. This millésime is my mainstay.

06th September, 2006

seinfun's avatar

The world famous Green Irish Tweed. Admired from Carg Grant to Robbie Williams. Does it live up to the hype? Well like all fragrances, beauty is in the nose of the smeller, as it were. It certainly is well made and has great sillage and longevity. For me it is too heady and too green and there is one note that is too prominent. Don't ask me which ( ask Oliver Creed !). So definitely a must to try before you buy , especially bearing in mind the hefty price tag. I far prefer Creed Himalaya. I give it a neutral as i'd probably like to smell this on someone else . I just wouldn't want to smell it on myself all day ... again !

01st September, 2006

dgwood's avatar

When I first started wearing this, I thought it smelled like a sophisticated version of Davidoff's Cool Water. I like this much better than cool water, but it's still not something I'd buy. (The bottle I have was a gift). The more I wear it the more it reminds me of the smell of boiling celery.

Nonetheless it's a good scent for flying a kite at the park or a game of croquet, a picnic and other leisurely outdoor activities. I picked it to wear on one of my visits to a very traditional Chinese teashop in Berkeley. It seemed right. The celery quality seemed to compliment the aromas and flavors of the teas I tried that day.

GIT smells natural and it's not overpowering. The name fits. It definitely smells green and I think it goes well with my tweed hat and jacket.

24th August, 2006

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

GIT is simple scent. i wore this before (2000-2002). similarity to Cool Water. SMW, Millésime Impérial & Himalaya are better than GIT.
    keep your money.

16th August, 2006

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

The similarity to Cool Water, often stressed upon, is more a roumour than a certainty, a prejudice without much real basis. While the first impression is almost identical to Cool Water, the two bearing the same, antiseptic, minty, medicine note, Green Irish Tweed developes into something much more elaborate and less vile than the mundane, synthetic and unimpressive Cool Water. The middle notes and the finishing touch of Irish Tweed are developing into something herbal, mossy, woody, reaching depths and subtleties Cool Water is not capable to achieve.
    The lasting power on my skin is above average, better than many other high-class scent, yet without being offensive- tough it lingers for a long time, it's never due to offensive and heavy notes, a very discreet, very light, but persistent touch of slightly ozonic, slightly marine, slightly chypre notes.
    An overtly aristocratic scent, not only due to the price, rather the entire mood encapsulated in this scent is one of the few recreating the feeling of classic British opulence, of country club lifestyle- as the name partly suggests; therefore the scent that a true aristocrat or even a member of the Royal Family would wear.

16th August, 2006

jerd's avatar

Mmmm...GIT. Summer in a $100 black bottle. Fall too. Oh, and winter and spring.

31st July, 2006

FragranceFan255's avatar

Cool Water ripped this one off. No doubt about it. But when I can get 4.2 oz. of Cool Water for 25 bucks compared to the sky high prices of Creed products. Well, let's just say I appreciate Davidoff just the same.

I'd agree with other reviewers that the drydown does set GIT apart from Cool Water. But only marginally in the midlife of the scent and not being obvious until the fading basenotes.

And it didn't take very long to reach those fading basenotes of distinction either. Certainly not a plus for any scent no matter how wonderful it may be.

Despite preferring the drydown of GIT over Cool Water, all things being relative I'd have to lean to Cool Water. Price and longevity keep this one second. And I do hate to say that as there very well would never have been Cool Water without Creed.

29th July, 2006

mentallo's avatar

It's simply a nice everyday summer frag thats all. Easy to wear and very accessible.

25th July, 2006

JP1's avatar

The one, the only...my holy grail. I wore it once in work and I had 8 compliments in one day! my most ever. Including my managers.

It may not live quite up to the hype on this site but it is pretty close. if you only want to purchase on 'niche' this is a must have. In fact it is a must for all people even half serious about their frags. I will always have this in my wardrobe

10th June, 2006

lelando's avatar

This is a standard that should be on any refined gentleman's fragrance shelf. Just strong enough to announce your presence, but not overbearing or overwhelming. The ladies I know (including the most important one in my life) tell me this one makes thier knees buckle. The great thing about it is, that while women swoon - it is still classy enough to be worn to the office. The sandlewood and floral notes in this combine to project an image of refined power. One that doesn't have to be brash or braggy - just confident. I love this scent.

02nd May, 2006 (Last Edited: 09th November, 2006)

Pete_C's avatar

Straight out of the bottle it reminds me of the exact same scent of Cool Water by Davidoff. I was very elated to get my hands on this bottle at first but am quickly getting frustraited with the scent smelling so closely to Cool Water. On a brighter note a female friend of mine said that smelling this made her want to pounce on me :) Use at your own risk!

26th April, 2006

rikspector's avatar

I've always had mixed feelings about GIT. When I first tried it I wasn,t sure whether I really liked it, or not.
    On further experimentation, it has become a very comfortable versatile addition to my wardrobe.
    It's the drydown the clinched it for me.

Warm subtle...I just wish I had some suits to match the fragrance!.

22nd April, 2006

paddy's avatar

i fail to see what all the fuss is about. it is nice, wearable and inoffensive. but it is way overrated and there are much better fragrances than this.

21st April, 2006

Paul G's avatar

To me this is similar to Curve by Claiborne and not any more wearable. Nicely made scent, but not something I could ever wear.

14th April, 2006

CyberGene's avatar

I want to revise my opinion. One day after I tested GIT for the first time I sensed a *really cool* scent coming from my wardrobe which turned out to be the GIT test paper in my pant's pocket. I realized that the previous day I had smelled so many scents in the shops and then the GIT and also smelling it too much directly from my arm while it was too sharp that it made my opinion a little bit subjective.

I bought a GIT :) What is the moral of the story?

04th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2006)

zztopp's avatar

Some more observations by me after spending an year wearing GIT and comparing it with Cool Water. While the top notes are similar, the middle notes are very different (and so is the drydown). The middle notes of GIT are pure grass, or "grassy" (hence the name Green Irish Tweed)...while Cool Water has fresh middle notes ("Cool Water")...it wouldnt make any sense for "Cool Water" to smell grassy like GIT, and most of the comments here on the similarities between the two are based on the top notes only.

GIT is pure class, and the best grassy scent around. Cool Water is a good frag too, but quite common and synthetic smelling. But for sure, there are differences between the two.

02nd April, 2006 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2006)

Gaz's avatar

An elegant and beautiful fragrance that strikes me as more for the sophisticted lady as opposed to a male fragrance which could explain why so many women love it.

25th March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

This scent is very nice! Understated and manly in a modern way. Got a sample for my husband, it was a good fragrance on him however, there was no staying power...his body seemed to 'soak it up' he had to keep re-applying. Would put us in the poor house to try and keep him smelling like GIT!!! If you are one for a VERY subtle scent or new to the world of men's fragrance this could be just right for you!

03rd March, 2006

The_Giraffe's avatar

The initial blast smells like that wheatgrass crap they sell at Jamba Juice. I have a strong dislike for that stuff so I guess you could say me and GIT got off on the wrong foot. Anyways, things didn't get much better. This is probably THE GREENEST scent I have ever smelled. It was so green in fact that I couldn't think of anything except grass. I really wanted to like this, because it was the first Creed I tried, and I think the history of Creed is fascinating. Unfortunately, I just couldn't come around. I really don't get the appeal of this scent, not to mention it didn't last very long. If you really have a thing for grass though, I guess this could be worth $100+ to you.

25th February, 2006

Markymark's avatar

A luscious and genius fragrance from the Creed house. I have received numerous enthusiastic compliments in the short time I have worn GIT. Truly, GIT is my current favorite. It is a powerful, masterfully fresh and sensual scent -- but not obnoxious or that you have to worry about offending anyone if you put on too much, IMHO. Two huge thumbs up!!!

24th February, 2006

lagloriacubana's avatar

Norway Norway

Naomi Campbell preferes this scent? Hmmmmm... Prince Charles too? Uhhhh... I think these to celebrities even each other out, if you catch my drift?

GIT captures that fresh out of the shower-feeling. This must have been a unique scent when it first came out in 1985. Now, however, there are fresh scents in abundance on the market. Yet, GIT has the complexity, sillage and quality most other scents in this category lack. Buy it if you have got money to spare.

22nd February, 2006

J1285's avatar

Great scent! it has this green aspect that is quite different. Very classy. Can't stop smelling it, it is a delicious scent if you like the "green".

08th February, 2006

supermanley25's avatar

Green Irish Tweed is a beautiful fragrance for men. The scent is haunting, clean, and fresh, lasting longer than other Creeds I've tried. The halls of my college dorm are filled with the smells of Curve and Cool Water, and I can attest that GIT rests leagues apart from both. The drydown to ambergris is beautiful as well. Perhaps the best part of wearing GIT is the name of the scent itself. When people are amazed and ask me what I'm wearing (and this happens often), it's fun to say "Green Irish Tweed", and watch the confused/impressed expressions on their faces. Perhaps they were expecting me to say something like "Cool Water." Bottom line: Worth the money, and Creed is quality. It's easy to see why celebrities and royalty favor this scent.

30th January, 2006