Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Find out more about Green Irish Tweed by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

Little can be added. The Verbena dominates the top notes, and after a minutes it is followed by an Iris-fougere notes that subsequently leads to a surprisingly convincing Sandalwood drydown. The latter is leading to the typical Creed Ambergris note that is here never as dominating as in other Creeds. It is a lively scent, like a spring morning, and it's versatility always surprises me. A great classic fougere cologne with adequate silage and projection. On me the longevity is about three hours, but easily two or three times as long on the clothes. The after shave balm is of phenomenal quality. Cool Water leaves a flatter, less nuanced and more synthetic impression on my skin.

21st September, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Smells great. It's the definitive spring fragrance. Very clean, very fresh, very classy. It's drawbacks are that Cool Water ripped it off and that this doesn't have that much longevity and projection. If you have the money though, this is the best spring fragrance.

09th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 12th May, 2013)

KJS88's avatar

Most of the fragrances I own are shall we say... "affordable" (but not cheap and nasty). I go for fragrances purely on smell alone, and sometimes the aesthetic value of a fragrance. I own niche types too, but they will never be the bulk of my collection, many I can't stand.

GIT like CW? Yep, but GIT is definitely worlds better. It actually smells very expensive. I've worn CW during the day to work, with no comment. Then come home, showered and applied GIT to go out, and the 'oohs' and 'ahhs' never really cease. It does smell worlds better.

And the bottle is a killer to boot.

This probably has one of the nicest renditions of violet leaf I've ever come across--that said, most renditions I've come across have a rather cheap smelling violet leaf to them (Narciso Rodriguez, et al.)

06th September, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

It's no secret that Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water smell similar. But, that's only on the initial spray. After about 30 minutes, the difference is clear. GIT will take you to a much higher level. Spray and enjoy!

22nd August, 2012

fit&frag'd's avatar

As recent reviewers have stated, it's difficult at this point to state anything new or original about GIT. Regardless of what's been said, and its near legendary status here on BN, the average person (at least here in the midwest of USA) has never heard of GIT, CREED as a whole, let alone smelled ANY of their fragrances. It's easy to get the feeling here on BN that it's incredibly common or almost cliche to own and enjoy GIT. Trust me, 99% of the population either can't, or won't spend over $100 on a cologne, regardless of how good it smells, so I can assure you that if you're concerned about smelling "common" wearing GIT, you won't. Period. You'll smell fresh, classy and all around GREAT, and people around you will take notice, whether they say anything or not!

Also, while it draws plenty of comparison to Cool Water and Aspen (which I also own and enjoy in their own right) - and fairly so - they really aren't even in the same class in the long run. GIT is richer, brighter, fresher, classier, more natural smelling and MUCH longer lasting, with a dry-down to put the other 2 to shame. It's simply in a whole different class. All I know is having owned and sampled hundreds of colognes over the years, I've never really found a cologne that rivals the way GIT smells on me and make me feel.

It's pure and simple one of my favorite colognes - Fresh, Clean, Masculine, Refined, Classy, INCREDIBLY versatile, maybe even a bit sexy - and I never grow tired of it (which I eventually do with most other fragrances eventually). I truly gain a new appreciation for it EVERY time I wear it and will always have it as a mainstay in my collection and rotation. I'm not one to "crown" any particular fragrance as my "signature scent", but if I did have to pick one for this purpose, I wouldn't hesitate at this point in time to say GIT would win the honor.

18th August, 2012

Oviatt's avatar

So much has been written about this fragance that there is little more that I can add. What I can say, however, is that this is great stuff, it smells wonderful;bite the bullet, buy the real thing and use it--don't hang on to it. This is something that I will never be without--have bought multiple bottles which is unheard of for me. In my review of Baie de Genievre (my favorite Creed) I said something that I stand by--the 1980s were the best years for Creed releases. GIT, BdG and BdP. You could really just stop there and be done. All the detractors of the Creed brand have plenty of other houses to buy from--trust me, Creed is not waiting by the phone for the likes of you.... This makes me feel good when I wear it and other people love it. As to who does or does not wear this, well, I never met Cary Grant, but I have met a certain HRH and yes, he does wear Green Irish Tweed. Buy it, love it, wear it.

08th August, 2012

BLAQ's avatar

4 oz. Blind buy, Serial #: A3211U01

Play this song - (Flowers by Nujabes) and read my review.

So my beloved package of Green Irish Tweed 4 arrived a day earlier than expected. (Today)

There are an overwhelming number of reviews on GIT that you can find, the majority of which claim that it is the be all end all scent. I was compelled to try it because after extensive review reading for my other Creed buy, I wanted to see if Creed had another excellent scent to offer.

I'm a noob, no fronting, I only own about eight fragrances now, and only recently have I really started smelling for any notes in particular, so I urge you to take my words with a grain of salt.

When I sprayed the first full spray of GIT, this song began playing in my head, because it's like you are thrown into not a pit, but a mountain of flowers. Describing it as the scent of the morning does not do it justice. It's fresher, more powerful, and aromatic than morning dew. Unfortunately, that is probably the closest you will get to a description of GIT without smelling it.

The first fifteen minutes, the citrusy lemon really takes you in. Seriously. I thought the Aventus Pineapple, Black XS Strawberry, and L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme citrus were good, but god damn, this lemon was delicious. It only lasted for a depressing fifteen minutes, MAX, though. Thumbs down here.

But the flowers. Are you listening to that song yet?! It's been about an hour and the flowers, I honestly cannot differentiate among flowers according to their scents, but I will visit a botanical garden and then add to this review. I think the flowers smell ridiculously fresh. As if you've just sprinkled water on them and then put a whole bouquet to your face.

I am also getting a sea salt aroma that is really fantastic and reminds me of a seaside villa. Probably the sandalwood mixing with the ambergris? I don't know, but I can only smell this if I'm an inch from my wrist.

Three hours now, flower power to the max, smells exactly as it did three hours ago, minus that delicious lemon, wtf! I guess that's how they get you to spray more..

And a final note. These flowers aren't by any means feminine. They dwell in the gray area but the fragrance as a whole smells exudes masculinity. It's not a sweet flower scent, but a pure, "You there, this is what fresh flowers smells like," scent.

I can definitely see myself wearing this anywhere: work, driving around, shopping, lecture, weddings, funerals, church, eating out, etc. Pretty much anywhere BUT the gym. I feel that it would not really "work," for you when you are trying to squat 400. But I guess if you're a female it would be okay. (Sexism much?) I say this because I associate flowers with sophistication/tranquility, not with me sweating like a pig with veins bulging out of my temples trying to pump my final rep with a behemoth yell. But whatever floats your boat, I don't think anyone would be upset with you wearing this at the gym. It's just too safe. Almost to the point where I would call this a daily/go-to scent. It's not too exciting other than that crazy lemon, but after 15 mins, you will smell like pure flowers and green.

Been about three and a half hours, still smell like #post-15 mins. Great scent. 8/10.

19th July, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

To me, GIT is a classic. 10 out of 10, and that is a rating I rarely give out. Many people are debating on the comparison between Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed. I sprayed Green Irish Tweed on my left hand and Cool Water on my right hand. Here are the results

First Spray
    If we are going by the first impression. The first spray. The first ten seconds. The fragrances are much different. Cool Water is dominated by a heavy lavendar opening. Green Irish Tweed starts out with a very strong lemon scent. In all fairness, it was probably the most high quality lemon note that I know of. Eventually Cool Water organizes itself and settles down, in about 15-30 minutes. The lemon scent in GIT is more subtle and it really helps the scent overall. At first impression, they don't smell much alike. In a half hour, they start smelling more similar. Green Irish Tweed has an amazing opening, which is why it is a shame we have to say goodbye to it, but the drydown is amazing as well.

Are they similar?
    As they dry down, they are both very similar (like 80% similar), even though at opening they are almost nothing alike. Green Irish Tweed, up-close, is certainly of much higher quality than Cool Water. The ingredients are clean, crisp and much more easily detectable. Cool Water definitely seems to be the cheaper and more synthetic one in comparison. Green Irish Tweed easily wins, but both are very good fragrances. To me, I would give Cool Water an 8 or 9 and Green Irish Tweed a ten. Keep in mind that a ten is a rating that I very rarely give.

Is Green Irish Tweed worth the price?
    It depends. How serious of a fragrance collector are you? How much disposable income do you have? If you have no problem with investing a lot of money into a cologne collection because it is something you are really passionate about, I would easily recommend it. If you aren't too serious about cologne collecting and just want to smell good, then go with Cool Water. GIT is ten times the price. It is much better, but not ten times better. Cool Water gets the job done. Green Irish Tweed doesn't just get the job done. It gets it done masterfully.

Bottom Line
    Cool Water, as it passes through the air smells very good though up-close it may seem synthetic and cheap. The ingredients are harder to identify, but it creates an overall aroma and mood that most designers can't. Cool Water is not something to be examined closely, but rather taken in as a whole. Green Irish Tweed is the opposite. From a distance, GIT could easily be mistaken as Cool Water by the untrained nose, however, when you examine closely, GIT is unmistakably high quality and a real pleasure to smell. Cool Water gets the job done, but GIT will have you smelling your wrists all day.

11th July, 2012

PerfumeEmporium's avatar

Love this fragrance! Very sexy and alluring on a man. One of my favorite male fragrances.

07th July, 2012

shlalaw's avatar

My primary alternative to my vetiver collection. Love the scent, but doesn't last overly long. A distinctive scent which I have not yet found adequately reproduced.

26th June, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

Classic Creed scent, been around forever. YES it does smell like Cool Water a bit more refined and crisp. For the difference in money, There just isn't enough difference between the two. The only reason I bought a bottle was that I got a really good deal. If you must pay retail price, stick with Cool Water. Most people say "Oh, I love cool water" when I wear it. Like many Creeds, I get about 4hr longevity casual sniffing, I can get 10+ if I touch my nose to my arm and sniff...Problem is there is NO projection after 4 hrs...So saying Longevity is 10hrs is misleading.

10th June, 2012 (Last Edited: 09th October, 2012)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

This is such in amazing fresh scent! I smell from the first spray a fresh opening of citrus,then after about 15 minutes i pick up the violet leaves with iris. Then after 2 hours to its drydown i get a very soothing green,clean scent.

I'm deffienelty buying a bottle of this just because its such a great clean safe scent and the longevity is 8 to 13 hours on my skin.

5 out of 5!

23rd May, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2012)

's avatar

The smell of crumpled leaves, grass, and tree bark on a gloomy day.

Very synthetic, but not in away that detracts from its impact.

Nicely done.

22nd May, 2012 (Last Edited: 05th September, 2012)

thespark's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Coolwater is to Green Irish Tweed what a bootleg copy of a film (complete with kids crying and people standing up) is to Blu-ray. Similar content, but worlds apart.

20th May, 2012

Unvisible's avatar

This smells very good to my nose. it is a very overrated fragrnce. Yes, to me if does resemble cool water a lot, and possibly aspen even more. but it does smell good. I just don't get any longevity out of it. 3 hours and it's gone. it does not come close to justifying the outrageous price. my little bottle of aspen stays on my clothes for over a day. for this I have to give it a neutral. great smell, but lasts 3 hours if that, and is way too expensive. won't be buying another bottle of this.

16th March, 2012

Preston H's avatar

My wife is in love with this stuff, and I have no problem putting it on for her. This starts out kinda tart but it opens up to be a awesome floral, masculine scent that drives women nuts. My only mistake, buying the 75ml bottle. Next up, 250ml flacon... Everybody makes cool water references, this was released in '85 cool water was released in '87, respect the architect ppl...

15th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd May, 2012)

mesaboogie's avatar

I'm strolling along a green, damp hillside on a rainy afternoon. The smell of wet earth and flowers combine to make a beautiful melody of scent. That's what GIT smells like to me. Forget the Cool Water comparisons b/c GIT is far too natural smelling. Projection is strong at first and longevity is a good 7-8 hours. This cologne has been over-hyped to death, but it's definitely a great smelling fragrance.

10th March, 2012

TimandT's avatar

Green Irish Tweed is a great fragrance. Creed did an excellent job with this one. I love most Creeds but this continually makes it in my weekly rotation. And whoever said that GIT is the same as cool water---no way! It may open up a little like cool water but when it starts to Drydown, that's when the magic happens. This never has gotten a bad response whenever I wear it like some of my other fragrances. People always tend to compliment me when I wear this. Worth the money!

20th February, 2012

El Fantástico's avatar

Kiribati Kiribati

Laundry detergent.

That is what I get from the opening of this tremendously, criminally overrated and overpriced fragrance. I'm always blown away at the glowing praise this gets from everyone. I feel like the only person who can see the emperor is in fact naked. Or maybe I'm just too much of a barbarian.

Now, I will say this is a very inoffensive, all ages scent that works for pretty much any daytime occasion, however formal or informal. I also like the dry down but meh, this isn't anything to write songs about.

14th January, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Enough of this comparisons with Cool Water. Here I'm gonna talk about this and ONLY this fragrance since I'm reviewing it not Cool Water.

Green Irish Tweed starts very green mixed with a bright citrusy aroma (nothing harsh!). After 10 minutes this citrusy aspect starts to fade leaving space to flowers, but nothing feminine at all, instead it is a very unisex aroma if I may say.

Now on my skin there's something very oceanic and also somehow a little sweet, anyway a very, very pleasant aroma! A complet turnout from the opening.

I would also like to pinpoint that the violet here is nothing like the one we can find in Eau de Cartier Concentreé with that herbal/powdery aroma. Anyway, the perfect guy for this scent on my mind? Well succeeded young business guy wearing an expensive sunglasses, a jeans and a polo shirt driving around town in a fancy car.

08th January, 2012

Chanzy's avatar

GIT smells fresh and new every time I wear it. I've received many, many compliments on it in all sorts of different situations. It is a vivid, well-balanced scent with decent longevity. Verbana, iris, and sandalwood are matched in a way that is distinctive and masculine.

With all that said, I do have some reservations. I worry just a little bit that GIT is sold as "The Luxury Men's Scent" in much the same way that Rolex is sold as "The Luxury Watch." I worry that there are just a few too many well-to-do guys smelling like GIT out there who have no real taste for fragrance. All they know is that GIT is pricey and that a bunch of Hollywood types wear it. And so they do too. At the core of my concern is that maybe GIT costs just a bit too much for what you get. Consider that someone who is looking to turn heads with wonderful fragrance could purchase three, four, or more different quality scents for less than what a single bottle of GIT fetches.

06th January, 2012

eflat's avatar

My absolute go to any time of the year whenever I can't decide which frag to wear. This is without a doubt the classic of our time IMHO. Lots of people compare this to Cool Water and I will admit that at very first the top smells very similar, Cool Water doesn't even compare after the first few minutes.

26th December, 2011

autumngleeman's avatar

For me, GIT is a victim of cool water's success. I read on a forum thread here that comparing the two is like comparing cubic zirconia to a diamond. I agree completely; that accurately summarizes the difference between the two.

However, let's not overlook the fact that there is an obvious albeit superficial resemblance too. passersby will easily confuse the one for the other, just as zirconia set in a nice looking ring will make it easy enough to confuse for a diamond during a brief and casual exchange, which is the majority of human interraction you will have each day. Of course, upon scrutiny, the differences will be obvious; zirconia is glassy and diamonds are radiant and brilliant, just as side by side with GIT cool water is a synthetic grape candy mishmash while GIT is natural and distinct and glows with class. but cool water is ubiquitous and everyone has owned it or known someone who has owned it, at least around here where I'm from. Remember also that in this case, most people only have experience with the cubic zirconia version; most aren't aware that the diamond (GIT) version exists. And I just know (every time i have ventured to wear GIT) that half these people around me are mistakenly thinking I'm wearing that fragrance every high school boy has worn at some point, cool water. "Who does he think he is impressing", I could just imagine some of them thinking. And that makes me feel self-conscious and stupid, and I am not ok with that. I don't spend a few hundred dollars on a bottle to be mistaken everywhere for cool water.

24th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2012)

jaguaroadster's avatar

France France

A kind of magic personified in three words : Green Irish Tweed.
    Not originally created by Merlin the Wizard himself right from his secret book of magic spells but rather by another legendary magician in perfume industry Monsieur Pierre Bourdon.
    Basenotes reviewers, fragrance lovers, connoisseurs, Epicureans…Everyone knows this masterpiece.
    Work of art, sober and easily recognizabled by its beautiful and mysterious black matte flask, it reminds me Led Zeppelin's album cover "Presence" where a family is watching a strange object, centre of attention on a table : Bottle could be the same 'thing' with the same attraction. Indeed, GIT means presence, elegance, charisma and that's why I'm not astonished to see how many famous people own it : Richard Gere, Pierce Brosnan or Robert Redford, Hollywood's finest cream.
    Because the "juice" itself is magnificient, brillant, clean, versatile, never aggressive, subtly measured. The essence of masculinity, an unforgettable scent for every place, every moment.

Opening starts gently with a fresh verbana and a hint of lemon. Follow then a middle note of violet infused with a sandalwood base. Green herbs, floral, slightly sweet…Just close your eyes, take a deep breath and imagine yourself walking on an emerald garden with a breeze from the ocean surrounding.
    Obviously, some reviewers have mentioned similar notes with Davidoff's Cool Water. I agree with them but difference with GIT is that drydown is the real signature, using the magic touch of ambregris. The chemical body reaction takes place and then Heaven and Mother Earth are reunited together for a ride through the stars. Feels so cool, confident as if I was protected by the scent. Good longevity too, it lasts roughly four hours on my skin. Expect many compliments, especially from ladies. So, Green Irish Tweed is my favorite and IMO probably one of the best masculine perfume ever. A real gentleman fragrance. A timeless classic. Often imitated but never equaled. Nothing more to say...

05th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 06th November, 2011)

Manteuse's avatar

This is the only scent I've ever owned that actually makes me happier just for smelling it.

I look like one of those 'refreshed' actors in an Irish Spring commerical when I spray this stuff to marvel at it's scent, only it's not acting. How dear house of Creed managed to distill the idea of an Irish meadow into a bottle is perfuming mastery. Granted, it doesn't stick around as long as modern synthetics, but the violet dry down is about as subtle and exquisite as fragrance can get.

Fragrance so good it becomes aromatherapy. This is as about as close as liquid get's to distilled joy.

Well that...and Scotch.

28th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th December, 2012)

Suave Scenter's avatar

GIT is a masterpiece. PERIOD. The violet note is astonishingly beautiful. Anyone that enjoys cologne should keep a bottle of this.

25th October, 2011

Elmonogrande's avatar

Tried it several times and found it very much smelling like cool water as mentioned by others many times. The dry down is a bit different though but it still not makes this scent worth its abnormal price. I find it very much one-dimensional. I don't mind paying a more for a scent that stands out but in this case i can't justify the huge difference in price to cool water.
    Cool water i give a neutral because it is just not my type of smell, too sharp and annoying after a while. But here i have to give a thumb down as the price in relation to what it offers is way off.
    Just like Bond No 9 if find Creed overhyped.

25th October, 2011

GTX777's avatar

With all of the Creed hype about which stars and royalty wear their fragrances, I had high expectations when I tried GIT.

Perhaps it is because I have tried many similar scents of its era, I did not find GIT to be particularly memorable.

I found GIT to lean towards smelling cold,metallic, perhaps artificial, rather than a well balanced fragrance.

23rd October, 2011

bFlay's avatar

I have only sampled this, but I will say I found it slightly fruity on top that mellowed to a citrus/moss base. Not really my taste and I can't speak for it's longevity. Not especially strong when applied to both inner wrists and mellowed within 10 minutes to the mild "green" or mossy scent. It's inoffensive. That's not saying much!

22nd October, 2011

Njtnjt's avatar

I bought several samples after reading all the positive reviews. Im glad I did as this is a scent which I find repulsive on my skin. I am greeted by a blast of salty nastiness with a whiff of citrus on top. It quickly dries down and never really changes in intensity or smell. Longevity is amazing. I tried it several times using several different samples that all smell very similar to me.

The point of this exercise, driven home by how this juice smells on my skin..... Is to always try a sample before buying! After my experience with scent I am a believer in the mysticism, the chemical reaction that takes place when scent meets skin. If you were to tell me that this one dimensional fragrance was mixed in an outdoor bathtub on a farm in the middle of nowhere I would believe it. It really smells that awful on me. YMMV

02nd October, 2011