Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This is another "old money" scent that recalls class and elegance. What sets GIT apart from the other 80's powerhouses is the use of Florentine Iris, a high quality Sandalwood from Mysore and real Ambergris extract; all masterfully blended in a rather simple formula. The Violet note adds just the right touch of sweetness and balances nicely with the touch of Lemon.

I can't say that this fragrance is particularly unisex as since I have never smelled this on a female. Green Irish Tweed has had many accolades over the years, but I've always purchased it because it's elegant and pretty much perfect for any occasion. Silage and longevity are outstanding as well they should be for the price of purchase.
16th February, 2017
Opens with a mothball smell to me but shortly after that it turns into a nice green scent. After trying it for a few months it impresses me as a "real" scent that I wouldn't hesitate to use regularly.
06th February, 2017
The quality, sillage and projection is really excellent with this fragrance and it's a great daytime work scent.

Cool water is very close to GIT with the former having less flower accords and adding a slight chlorinated water scent. I think if someone were to buy vintage cool water they would get very close to the same effect with less performance thus offering better value for money.

I don't regret buying it but in this day and age there are more interesting scents out there.
28th January, 2017 (last edited: 29th January, 2017)

I have gone from really really liking GIT to absolutely loving GIT.
For my nose, this scent has it all; lovely, evocative opening; green, sensual mids and almost a warm, sexy base.
I know that this is supposed to evoke green fields (doesn't need to be Ireland either), but what it conjurs for me is my boyhood summer days spent lying on the lush lawns of our local suburban swimming pool. Great fragrances reach into our subconscious and remind us of things that we thought were only imagined, but actually experienced.
I have received a compliment from someone 6 feet away, 6 hours into a wear, so sillage is there. I smell it on me after 10 hours.
Best thing is that it's versatile and i would wear this in any weather, for any occasion.
Icon.
19th January, 2017 (last edited: 13th March, 2017)
Over hyped and over priced.

Green, fresh, inoffensive. Something I wear to work.

It isn't this unique "masterpiece" that I have to pair with a suit or every special occasion.

It's a good fragrance, but no where near as good as the hype or the price.
16th January, 2017
A genre-defining scent from Creed. One can find imitators aplenty of this formula - some decent (e.g. Curve), others atrocious - but GIT has the unique Creed accord that few can imitate (namely, the ambergris).

GIT is worth the price for the evident quality construction by the house of Creed. It's tart, floral, bright and dignified. I don't know if I'd personally wear it for other than informal occasions (to each his or her own), due to its citrus components. Nonetheless, worth a try for any serious scent enthusiast looking for a legendary fragrance.
16th December, 2016
GIT is simply a masterpiece! It's been around for over 30 years, but it hasn't lost its touch. Even though it's viewed as "dated" among fragrance enthusiasts, the high price point seems to benefit those looking for something truly unique. This is true for Creed fragrances in general. Among the general public, it's likely that other men around you won't be wearing this, which allows you to stand out in a good way.

Green Irish Tweed, as it's name suggests, smells very green. Like a grassy hillside in early morning. It begins its life as a sweet floral scent with a hint of fresh citrus. It dries down to a soft woody scent, but doesn't lose the fresh green signature.

This was my first Creed scent, and it has pretty much ruined me when it comes to wearing anything of lower quality! Most other fragrances on the market smell very synthetic compared to this.
03rd December, 2016 (last edited: 04th December, 2016)
Tubby Show all reviews
A wonderful green, fresh masculine scent. Great longevity and sillage. The classic ambergris dry down. My signature
25th November, 2016
Awesome. Best in class.
11th October, 2016
Feels like a cold, foggy morning in a place where some green leaves & a hint of flowers (marigold, lavender & tiny bit of jasmine) have been chopped off & cold water has been sprinkled upon them.
As the times goes by it loses the greenness while the salty musk starts coming upfront.

Smells very natural.

It does remind me of cool water, but cool water is GIT + chlorinated swimming pool water.

Projection: 8/10
Longevity: 10 hours

14th July, 2016 (last edited: 16th July, 2016)
Amazing gentlemen's scent. To my nose similar to several scents including Cool Water, Hugo Boss and Paul Smith which do lean more sweet smelling and don't come close to GIT. But they are similar with Hugo Boss being the most similar to me (at least as it heads to the dry down). GIT smells of sophistication. I have worn this for more than 10 years and will always have a bottle in my collection. Enjoy!
15th May, 2016 (last edited: 28th September, 2016)
Fresh and pure...

What a great smelling fragrance! It really feels like walking through the countryside on a cold, dewy morning... with the aromas of the vegetation and greenery mixed with that cold, damp air!

To me there is a lot going on here. Lemon verbena, moss, some orris, sandalwood and ambergirs. It's an incredible smell. I think this is quite pleasing and inoffensive, everyone will like this. On the other hand, I do feel that looking back, even though it is a great example of it's kind, it's not as incredible a smell as people make it out to be. That's probably because it's a victim of it's own success I guess. The comparisons to the aquatic fragrances seem to knock this down a little. I for one like it very much, but the comparisons are there.

Again, as with all Creed fragrances, it's up to you to decide whether to spend the money for a full bottle or not. If it smells great to you, and you have the money, sure. I do appreciate what it does but I still think there are a host of fragrances which have copied this at a lower price point. A victim of it's own success perhaps, but still a great classic of male fragrances. Very very good!
20th April, 2016
If i spray my car tyre with cool water and do a burn out and then smell it, it will smell like GIT. I have no idea how come not even a single creed fragrance has ever impressed me.
11th April, 2016

Breathtaking verbena opening, leading to masculine florals sitting on top of that shimmering ambergris base. One of my most worn fragrances.
31st March, 2016
An awesome classic. Emanates a calm feeling of confidence and luxury. GIT is it.
18th March, 2016
Such hype for this one, classic status as well. I was prepared for something tweedy, sharp, pungent, sort of a citrus chypre, considering the ingredients. What I get is a dull, poor, generic oceanic-woody, imitated ad nauseum in department store designer bottles selling for under $20.

Created for Cary Grant? I don't think so. This came out in 1985 and dear Cary went to glory in 1986. This may have done him in if he did indeed ever wear it. It doesn't say much for the tastes of other celebrities that supposedly wore it: Robert Redford, Richard Gere, Quincy Jones.

So common, so unremarkable, so lacking in imagination and/or creativity as to be for my nose an emperor's new clothes sort of olfactory joke.

Vastly disappointing.
16th March, 2016
A big thumbs up for Creed's Green Irish Tweed. The strange thing is, I had the same experience as Young Amateur. The first time I wore GIT, I didn't like it. It was the sharp grass smell that initially turned my nose away, but today I tried it again, and I had one of the most enjoyable days I've ever had wearing a fragrance. GIT becomes one of the most refreshing and enjoyable scents in my recent memory as it drys down. Just a spring day of a fragrance that feels classy and fresh. I will be getting a bottle of Green Irish Tweed to go along with all of my other Creed's. I have come to love so many of their fragrances. They cost so much, but I enjoy them so much as well, They are my guilty pleasure. GIT is another winner from the House of Creed.
10th March, 2016
This year is a great year for Greed Irish Tweed. Lot number S3215R01 is the best batch I've smelled since 09. Very similar batches.

This batch has a strong verbena with undertones of lemon. I really like that the lemon is subtle in this batch. The iris is a strong player in the heart notes this time around. I love the mysore sandalwood. I think the ambergris could come out a little more, but I really like this years batch.
02nd February, 2016
CMac17 Show all reviews
Lives up to the hype. Before wearing this, I had never delved into the "cult of Creed," but I am very glad to be on the dark side now (I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!) After spraying this on, I was immediately hit with a grassy scent that I hadn't smelled before in a fragrance. It has that characteristic scent of wet grass with a citrus punch. After a little while, the violet begins to push through in the composition, leading way to a nice powdery dry down. A fantastic addition to any wardrobe if the funds are available. If they're not, you can always just buy a bunch of samples and hope they're from the same batch like me!
26th December, 2015
Masterpiece. Tom Cruise driving an Aston Martin through the woods of Pacific Northwest on a sunny day. Organic Cool Water perfectly blended.
04th December, 2015
I started off not liking this fragrance because when I first smelled it, the top notes were much too sharp and grassy for my taste. It wasn't until I actually sprayed some on my skin that I fell in love with it. When it dries down the sharpness goes away and it smells like nature in a bottle. I now own a bottle and use it regularly.
24th September, 2015 (last edited: 03rd October, 2015)
THE SMELL OF VICTORY!

Smells like a field of grass on a beautiful spring day after rain. The dry down on my skin smells of grassy, flowery, powdery goodness. I like to wear this one on Saturday and Sunday morning/afternoon. I always receive compliments and it lasts me throughout the entire day.
Green Irish Tweed is certainly something special that everyman should have in their collection. Timeless.

Because of GIT's uniqueness, beautiful scent, longevity, sillage, and timeless elegance, Im going to have it give it a 10.
03rd September, 2015
As a 40-something who only recently became an avid aficionado of fragrance a little over a year ago, reviewing GIT is a bit like reviewing Phil Collins, "No Jacket Required" album.

Like Phil Collins NJR, GIT is difficult to separate from the production trends of the era - the big reverbs and gated drums are like the overwrought presence of dihydromyrcenal, which was the pop culture trend of smelling like laundry detergent or dryer sheets started by Drakkar.

There must be an almost universally positive association with the smell of dryer sheets and 20th century industrial laundry fragrances. Why else would so much CW, Aspen and GIT continue to fly off the shelves?

Yes, it smells good, but at this point in history it's hopelessly pedestrian, ubiquitous and even possibly Orwellian in that when I wear this I feel like I'm lost in some sort of consumer goods afterworld. This is the fragrance of the household cleaner isle of today.

So gents, spray on your GIT, put some mousse in your highlighted hair, break out your Phil Collins cassette, slap it in your walkman, and go pick up someone underneath the flourescent glow of your local laundrymat.

28th August, 2015
Green Irish Tweed is one of the more appropriately evocatively named Creed fragrances, as it is, to me, the archetypical green fragrance without the citric acidity that is common to most scents in that phylum.

It's easy to understand how this is a classic, and how so many stand by it. Without the citrus, it's still somehow complete, anchored by a mix of violet, iris, sandalwood, and ambergris that together yield a mossy green walk in the park. GIT is soft in the way of Silver Mountain Water's green tea note, attacking only slightly at the opening before drying down very nicely into something that could be worn all day. Still, GIT is most appropriate as a warm weather day fragrance, as it's not terribly formal.

While not my favorite fresh Creed, as I still stand by Aventus, Himalaya, and Silver Mountain as the standouts that I've tried, GIT is s a must-try for those unfamiliar, and in my case, an eventual must-buy. Availability isn't an issue, as it's on all of the discount sites. I'll be happy to add this to my collection.

7 out of 10
19th August, 2015
Such a wonderful cologne. This was my first full bottle purchase when I was sampling all types of scents. There will always be a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed in my wardrobe. You just cant go wrong with it.
17th August, 2015
What a brilliant fragrance this is. I will always have a bottle in my wardrobe; everyone in my life seems to adore this scent on my skin and it makes me feel like a king.
19th June, 2015
Salutation.

This is Absolutely one Fragrance from CREED because It has a Exclusive and Natural scent and Like All CREED fragrances is only for Elite.GIT is Show a Gentleman who knows how to treat with a Lady. Casual yet Sophisticated. Green,Clean,Classy,Fresh,Exquisite, Generous,Versatile and Everlasting.

At first glance It is like some fragrances for example COOL WATER but in a High Class way and in my opinion the base notes are Determinant for Severance CREED fragrances of Most brands as The base notes are Wonderful and makes them Long Lasting just like This one.

GIT has a Green overtone with Woody undertones that make it Ambrosial.
A Magical and Subtle Masculine fragrance that turn heads wherever You
go. It is dependable for Any season Especially Spring/Summer and Any Occasion . I recommend this one to Everyone who wants only the BEST.However it is Too Expensive but really worth Every penny you pay for it.

Sillage?Interesting.

Longevity?Surprisingly Superb on my skin.

8.25/10
09th June, 2015
surge Show all reviews
Amazing fragrance; one of the best Creed's to ever be created. Amazing use of ambergris and violet. This was the inspiration for Cool Water by Davidoff (and probably Chez Bond from Bond No. 9), but in my opinion there are more differences than similarities.
Silage is amazing, longevity is 12+ hours. Fresh, marine, green and citrus all in one. I also use the GIT deodorant and shower gel / soap -- gives you a great fresh smell all day long :)
05th June, 2015
Yes GIT smells like CW. The funny thing is that we Basenoters will go to excruciating lengths to find, say, the pre-1998 formulation of L'Eau de Cat Piss and reject the later one because the maker lowered the percentage of oak moss from .01% to.009%. OMG! Not worth wearing!

Then, on the other hand, we go nuts finding similarities. In my case, between Mouchoir de Monsieur and Egoiste, or Bois de Portugal and Chanel pour Monsieur. Then, we go miles to distinguish a lavender-sage bergamot opening from a bergamot-lavender-sage opening.

So why would anyone get excited about superficial similarities between GIT and CW? Let me say it straight out: the similarities are not enough to ever, ever, wear CW instead of GIT.

On to the review: I'm having all kinds of fun wearing GIT. It's the first calone-rich fragrance I've ever liked. It is conceivable that beyond calone, linalool and ambroxan there are some expensive ingredients in GIT. Maybe there's some natural orris or violet or ambergris that explains the price. I don't think so either, but it's possible! But they own it and you don't, so they can charge what they want for it. In my opinion, it smells very good. I'm happy I bought my small bottle. Sorry if that's more of a vote than a review.
02nd June, 2015
The ONLY CREED that I have smelled that I don't like.

This smells so geriatric that great grandpa may in fact not like it. This stinks like Flexall 454.

Buy another CREED.