Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Find out more about Green Irish Tweed by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

noirdrakkar's avatar

To me, GIT is a classic. 10 out of 10, and that is a rating I rarely give out. Many people are debating on the comparison between Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed. I sprayed Green Irish Tweed on my left hand and Cool Water on my right hand. Here are the results

First Spray
    If we are going by the first impression. The first spray. The first ten seconds. The fragrances are much different. Cool Water is dominated by a heavy lavendar opening. Green Irish Tweed starts out with a very strong lemon scent. In all fairness, it was probably the most high quality lemon note that I know of. Eventually Cool Water organizes itself and settles down, in about 15-30 minutes. The lemon scent in GIT is more subtle and it really helps the scent overall. At first impression, they don't smell much alike. In a half hour, they start smelling more similar. Green Irish Tweed has an amazing opening, which is why it is a shame we have to say goodbye to it, but the drydown is amazing as well.

Are they similar?
    As they dry down, they are both very similar (like 80% similar), even though at opening they are almost nothing alike. Green Irish Tweed, up-close, is certainly of much higher quality than Cool Water. The ingredients are clean, crisp and much more easily detectable. Cool Water definitely seems to be the cheaper and more synthetic one in comparison. Green Irish Tweed easily wins, but both are very good fragrances. To me, I would give Cool Water an 8 or 9 and Green Irish Tweed a ten. Keep in mind that a ten is a rating that I very rarely give.

Is Green Irish Tweed worth the price?
    It depends. How serious of a fragrance collector are you? How much disposable income do you have? If you have no problem with investing a lot of money into a cologne collection because it is something you are really passionate about, I would easily recommend it. If you aren't too serious about cologne collecting and just want to smell good, then go with Cool Water. GIT is ten times the price. It is much better, but not ten times better. Cool Water gets the job done. Green Irish Tweed doesn't just get the job done. It gets it done masterfully.

Bottom Line
    Cool Water, as it passes through the air smells very good though up-close it may seem synthetic and cheap. The ingredients are harder to identify, but it creates an overall aroma and mood that most designers can't. Cool Water is not something to be examined closely, but rather taken in as a whole. Green Irish Tweed is the opposite. From a distance, GIT could easily be mistaken as Cool Water by the untrained nose, however, when you examine closely, GIT is unmistakably high quality and a real pleasure to smell. Cool Water gets the job done, but GIT will have you smelling your wrists all day.

11th July, 2012

PerfumeEmporium's avatar

Love this fragrance! Very sexy and alluring on a man. One of my favorite male fragrances.

07 July, 2012

shlalaw's avatar

My primary alternative to my vetiver collection. Love the scent, but doesn't last overly long. A distinctive scent which I have not yet found adequately reproduced.

26 June, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

Classic Creed scent, been around forever. YES it does smell like Cool Water a bit more refined and crisp. For the difference in money, There just isn't enough difference between the two. The only reason I bought a bottle was that I got a really good deal. If you must pay retail price, stick with Cool Water. Most people say "Oh, I love cool water" when I wear it. Like many Creeds, I get about 4hr longevity casual sniffing, I can get 10+ if I touch my nose to my arm and sniff...Problem is there is NO projection after 4 hrs...So saying Longevity is 10hrs is misleading.

10th June, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 October, 2012)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

This is such in amazing fresh scent! I smell from the first spray a fresh opening of citrus,then after about 15 minutes i pick up the violet leaves with iris. Then after 2 hours to its drydown i get a very soothing green,clean scent.

I'm deffienelty buying a bottle of this just because its such a great clean safe scent and the longevity is 8 to 13 hours on my skin.

5 out of 5!

23 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2012)

's avatar

The smell of crumpled leaves, grass, and tree bark on a gloomy day.

Very synthetic, but not in away that detracts from its impact.

Nicely done.

22 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2012)

thespark's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Coolwater is to Green Irish Tweed what a bootleg copy of a film (complete with kids crying and people standing up) is to Blu-ray. Similar content, but worlds apart.

20th May, 2012

Unvisible's avatar

This smells very good to my nose. it is a very overrated fragrnce. Yes, to me if does resemble cool water a lot, and possibly aspen even more. but it does smell good. I just don't get any longevity out of it. 3 hours and it's gone. it does not come close to justifying the outrageous price. my little bottle of aspen stays on my clothes for over a day. for this I have to give it a neutral. great smell, but lasts 3 hours if that, and is way too expensive. won't be buying another bottle of this.

16 March, 2012

Preston H's avatar

My wife is in love with this stuff, and I have no problem putting it on for her. This starts out kinda tart but it opens up to be a awesome floral, masculine scent that drives women nuts. My only mistake, buying the 75ml bottle. Next up, 250ml flacon... Everybody makes cool water references, this was released in '85 cool water was released in '87, respect the architect ppl...

15 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2012)

mesaboogie's avatar

I'm strolling along a green, damp hillside on a rainy afternoon. The smell of wet earth and flowers combine to make a beautiful melody of scent. That's what GIT smells like to me. Forget the Cool Water comparisons b/c GIT is far too natural smelling. Projection is strong at first and longevity is a good 7-8 hours. This cologne has been over-hyped to death, but it's definitely a great smelling fragrance.

10th March, 2012

TimandT's avatar

Green Irish Tweed is a great fragrance. Creed did an excellent job with this one. I love most Creeds but this continually makes it in my weekly rotation. And whoever said that GIT is the same as cool water---no way! It may open up a little like cool water but when it starts to Drydown, that's when the magic happens. This never has gotten a bad response whenever I wear it like some of my other fragrances. People always tend to compliment me when I wear this. Worth the money!

20th February, 2012

El Fantástico's avatar

Kiribati Kiribati

Laundry detergent.

That is what I get from the opening of this tremendously, criminally overrated and overpriced fragrance. I'm always blown away at the glowing praise this gets from everyone. I feel like the only person who can see the emperor is in fact naked. Or maybe I'm just too much of a barbarian.

Now, I will say this is a very inoffensive, all ages scent that works for pretty much any daytime occasion, however formal or informal. I also like the dry down but meh, this isn't anything to write songs about.

14 January, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Enough of this comparisons with Cool Water. Here I'm gonna talk about this and ONLY this fragrance since I'm reviewing it not Cool Water.

Green Irish Tweed starts very green mixed with a bright citrusy aroma (nothing harsh!). After 10 minutes this citrusy aspect starts to fade leaving space to flowers, but nothing feminine at all, instead it is a very unisex aroma if I may say.

Now on my skin there's something very oceanic and also somehow a little sweet, anyway a very, very pleasant aroma! A complet turnout from the opening.

I would also like to pinpoint that the violet here is nothing like the one we can find in Eau de Cartier Concentreé with that herbal/powdery aroma. Anyway, the perfect guy for this scent on my mind? Well succeeded young business guy wearing an expensive sunglasses, a jeans and a polo shirt driving around town in a fancy car.

08 January, 2012

Chanzy's avatar

GIT smells fresh and new every time I wear it. I've received many, many compliments on it in all sorts of different situations. It is a vivid, well-balanced scent with decent longevity. Verbana, iris, and sandalwood are matched in a way that is distinctive and masculine.

With all that said, I do have some reservations. I worry just a little bit that GIT is sold as "The Luxury Men's Scent" in much the same way that Rolex is sold as "The Luxury Watch." I worry that there are just a few too many well-to-do guys smelling like GIT out there who have no real taste for fragrance. All they know is that GIT is pricey and that a bunch of Hollywood types wear it. And so they do too. At the core of my concern is that maybe GIT costs just a bit too much for what you get. Consider that someone who is looking to turn heads with wonderful fragrance could purchase three, four, or more different quality scents for less than what a single bottle of GIT fetches.

06 January, 2012

eflat's avatar

My absolute go to any time of the year whenever I can't decide which frag to wear. This is without a doubt the classic of our time IMHO. Lots of people compare this to Cool Water and I will admit that at very first the top smells very similar, Cool Water doesn't even compare after the first few minutes.

26 December, 2011

autumngleeman's avatar

For me, GIT is a victim of cool water's success. I read on a forum thread here that comparing the two is like comparing cubic zirconia to a diamond. I agree completely; that accurately summarizes the difference between the two.

However, let's not overlook the fact that there is an obvious albeit superficial resemblance too. passersby will easily confuse the one for the other, just as zirconia set in a nice looking ring will make it easy enough to confuse for a diamond during a brief and casual exchange, which is the majority of human interraction you will have each day. Of course, upon scrutiny, the differences will be obvious; zirconia is glassy and diamonds are radiant and brilliant, just as side by side with GIT cool water is a synthetic grape candy mishmash while GIT is natural and distinct and glows with class. but cool water is ubiquitous and everyone has owned it or known someone who has owned it, at least around here where I'm from. Remember also that in this case, most people only have experience with the cubic zirconia version; most aren't aware that the diamond (GIT) version exists. And I just know (every time i have ventured to wear GIT) that half these people around me are mistakenly thinking I'm wearing that fragrance every high school boy has worn at some point, cool water. "Who does he think he is impressing", I could just imagine some of them thinking. And that makes me feel self-conscious and stupid, and I am not ok with that. I don't spend a few hundred dollars on a bottle to be mistaken everywhere for cool water.

24 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2012)

jaguaroadster's avatar

France France

A kind of magic personified in three words : Green Irish Tweed.
    Not originally created by Merlin the Wizard himself right from his secret book of magic spells but rather by another legendary magician in perfume industry Monsieur Pierre Bourdon.
    Basenotes reviewers, fragrance lovers, connoisseurs, Epicureans…Everyone knows this masterpiece.
    Work of art, sober and easily recognizabled by its beautiful and mysterious black matte flask, it reminds me Led Zeppelin's album cover "Presence" where a family is watching a strange object, centre of attention on a table : Bottle could be the same 'thing' with the same attraction. Indeed, GIT means presence, elegance, charisma and that's why I'm not astonished to see how many famous people own it : Richard Gere, Pierce Brosnan or Robert Redford, Hollywood's finest cream.
    Because the "juice" itself is magnificient, brillant, clean, versatile, never aggressive, subtly measured. The essence of masculinity, an unforgettable scent for every place, every moment.

Opening starts gently with a fresh verbana and a hint of lemon. Follow then a middle note of violet infused with a sandalwood base. Green herbs, floral, slightly sweet…Just close your eyes, take a deep breath and imagine yourself walking on an emerald garden with a breeze from the ocean surrounding.
    Obviously, some reviewers have mentioned similar notes with Davidoff's Cool Water. I agree with them but difference with GIT is that drydown is the real signature, using the magic touch of ambregris. The chemical body reaction takes place and then Heaven and Mother Earth are reunited together for a ride through the stars. Feels so cool, confident as if I was protected by the scent. Good longevity too, it lasts roughly four hours on my skin. Expect many compliments, especially from ladies. So, Green Irish Tweed is my favorite and IMO probably one of the best masculine perfume ever. A real gentleman fragrance. A timeless classic. Often imitated but never equaled. Nothing more to say...

05 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2011)

Manteuse's avatar

This is the only scent I've ever owned that actually makes me happier just for smelling it.

I look like one of those 'refreshed' actors in an Irish Spring commerical when I spray this stuff to marvel at it's scent, only it's not acting. How dear house of Creed managed to distill the idea of an Irish meadow into a bottle is perfuming mastery. Granted, it doesn't stick around as long as modern synthetics, but the violet dry down is about as subtle and exquisite as fragrance can get.

Fragrance so good it becomes aromatherapy. This is as about as close as liquid get's to distilled joy.

Well that...and Scotch.

28 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2012)

Suave Scenter's avatar

GIT is a masterpiece. PERIOD. The violet note is astonishingly beautiful. Anyone that enjoys cologne should keep a bottle of this.

25 October, 2011

Elmonogrande's avatar

Tried it several times and found it very much smelling like cool water as mentioned by others many times. The dry down is a bit different though but it still not makes this scent worth its abnormal price. I find it very much one-dimensional. I don't mind paying a more for a scent that stands out but in this case i can't justify the huge difference in price to cool water.
    Cool water i give a neutral because it is just not my type of smell, too sharp and annoying after a while. But here i have to give a thumb down as the price in relation to what it offers is way off.
    Just like Bond No 9 if find Creed overhyped.

25 October, 2011

GTX777's avatar

With all of the Creed hype about which stars and royalty wear their fragrances, I had high expectations when I tried GIT.

Perhaps it is because I have tried many similar scents of its era, I did not find GIT to be particularly memorable.

I found GIT to lean towards smelling cold,metallic, perhaps artificial, rather than a well balanced fragrance.

23 October, 2011

bFlay's avatar

I have only sampled this, but I will say I found it slightly fruity on top that mellowed to a citrus/moss base. Not really my taste and I can't speak for it's longevity. Not especially strong when applied to both inner wrists and mellowed within 10 minutes to the mild "green" or mossy scent. It's inoffensive. That's not saying much!

22 October, 2011

Njtnjt's avatar

I bought several samples after reading all the positive reviews. Im glad I did as this is a scent which I find repulsive on my skin. I am greeted by a blast of salty nastiness with a whiff of citrus on top. It quickly dries down and never really changes in intensity or smell. Longevity is amazing. I tried it several times using several different samples that all smell very similar to me.

The point of this exercise, driven home by how this juice smells on my skin..... Is to always try a sample before buying! After my experience with scent I am a believer in the mysticism, the chemical reaction that takes place when scent meets skin. If you were to tell me that this one dimensional fragrance was mixed in an outdoor bathtub on a farm in the middle of nowhere I would believe it. It really smells that awful on me. YMMV

Redbeard's avatar

Finally, I've come to review the king of recommendations himself! Generally, to address the usual debate, I'll say that Cool Water starts sharper, becomes fruitier, and finishes stronger, so it's up to you whether those differences are good or bad. Right off the bat, it's crisp and violetty, kind of a purplish green. The freshness is very invigorating, yet manages to avoid the sharp burning sensation that the topnotes of Cool Water have. I'm detecting just a little bit of spearmint this time, which I don't recall from before; hopefully I haven't already fried my nose from all my reviewing today. It also has a sickly, sappy component which I don't recall, and even though it's convincingly natural, it's very distasteful to me. I'm really confused at these variations, unless my decant and my initial sample vial were from very different batches. After a while, the crisp coolness starts to get irritating, and I don't find it as believable as in the GIT clones Caswell-Massey Greenbriar and Floris JF. There's always this slight, artificially creamy, metallic, candy-like edge to GIT which never really sits right with me, even though I'm sure it's a perfectly natural plant note. There's violet in the base too, but I'll cut them some slack this time because it's more stemmy and less florid. The real drag with this stuff is that it's nearly gone on my shirt by the end of the day, which I think is almost unacceptable at these prices. Later, when I get around to reviewing their Green Valley, I'll discuss why I think that one outdoes GIT at its own game, if only subtly, but in ways that I personally appreciate.

wardamoose's avatar

Great smell. Love it from a distance. It does smell good up close, but it really shines when you wear it "out". When i first tried it, I found myself getting little whiffs of it from my wrist, and it was heavenly. Not sure if I'd ever purchase it because of its popularity, I enjoy a bit more unique scents, but nevertheless, this scent is bomb.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Despite all the amazing reviews GIT is to me one of the most overrated fragrances I ever met.This scent, an aromatic herbal fragrance becomes ( on my skin!) quite sour. harsh and bitter.It reminds on Egoiste Platinum,Tsar and Cool water- all fragrances launched at the same time.

13 September, 2011

PA4455's avatar

Love GIT. The intial first spray is Fresh and very Green. The dry down unveils violet and various characteristics that make this the masterpiece that deserves to be in every Gentlemans collection. Longevity ranges. I'm getting 6-8 hours with this fragance. Definate thumbs up.

04 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

jasonsicilia's avatar

May share a similar top note with cw but not even close in mistaking one for the other. Need not to worry nobody will mistake git for cw and if they do they must think steak smells similar to seafood. ITS DRYDOWN IS WHERE IT REALLY SHINES . AMAZING FRAGRANCE!!! END OF STORY!!!

01st September, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2011)

pince_nez's avatar

What else could I possibly write about this fragrance that has not been written elsewhere. A one of a kind scent much imitated and copied and the grandfather of all those fresh/ozonic/watery and Calone-inspired scents!

That said, if this was good enough for Cary Grant, this should be good enough for me (IMHO).
    Kudos to the master perfumer Pierre Bourdon!

01st September, 2011

jamwires's avatar

The Holy Grail.

If I had to pick one fragrance, and wear it for the rest of my life, it would be GIT. It's masculine, very wearable, and the most versatile scent I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. Summer, winter, day, night, blue jeans, formal - all your bases are covered here.

I was hesitant to buy GIT at first, because, I thought it would smell generic (with the Cool Water comparisons and all), but that's really not the case. I don't live it a world where I constantly smell men wearing either GIT or Cool Water. I'm used to smelling 1 Million on guys my age.

GIT is a jack of all trades, and a good one.

29 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2012)