Reviews of Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Find out more about Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Carlie,JD's avatar
    Carlie,JD

A rich leafy, orangey green opening of neroli and petitgrain, galbanum, anise and lemon oil that recedes too quickly; it’s amazing. After an hour, the full fragrance is revealed: an intense violet and iris, mimosa, narcissus, rose and sage heart and a delicious almond, oakmoss and coumarin base. It’s lovely, although over time the alpha-isomethyl ionone can be somewhat tiresome. About four hours in, the citrusy notes reassert themselves on the skin along with vetiver--beautiful. Then that base sings its happy tune for hours and hours.

It's a brilliant violet and almond fougere undoubtedly worth exploring particularly for those who like green, violet, Fahrenheit or value.

20th February, 2014

MimramMan's avatar
    MimramMan

Grey Flannel (current EA formulation) is a conundrum. I understand both those who love it and those who hate it. I rather like it but it's not an easy fragrance to wear for me. The opening is unpleasant - sort of Eau de Harpic Pot Pourri edition. It takes about half an hour to calm down and about an hour for the signature violet to shine - there's no splash and dash with this as you need to get it in a fit state to leave the house! Once the violet note is out there it is full, bright and clear and rather beautiful for five or six hours. After that it starts to decline into Eau de Lipstick Pot Pourri edition. In general for the office I wear fragrance under or on clothes but that doesn't work for GF at all - depending on fabric it will tend to go straight from Harpic to lipstick. One spray to the back of the neck - that's it. Is it worth the effort? I think so - the violet is stunning when it shows - but I can see why many would pass.

18 February, 2014

Bakadesh1's avatar
    Bakadesh1

I love this scent. Classic without being dated, rich and strong without being overbearing (2 spray max), always a solidly pleasant smell. I don't get tired of it throughout its long stay. From jeans to suit, versatile, though I usually wear it with more casual attire. A bit thick for summer..

Great casual cold weather scent.

14 November, 2013

MrMookie's avatar
    MrMookie

Not grey at all

Most natural (non-synthetic) fragrance i ever smelled.
    Its a sharp blast in the beginning with crushed flowers n freshly mowed grass mainly violets but well composed, very green!
    Drydown is soft,tender,kind and laidback.
    In my opinion the best laid back lazy sunday fragrance ever created.
    It will not offend anybody i think this perfume is one of the most kind ones amongsts the sexy,macho, and bold perfumes around for men.
    its not a perfume you should wear in sweaty night club or on a dance party for sure.
    I think if you wear this right (smile with it) many people (women,men,and elderly people) are easily attracted to you because you create a aura of kindness around you.
    Maybe a good advice to wear this if your a salesman...
    My girlfriend told me that it was sex in a bottle after she smelled it on first sniff.
    Maybe she likes kindness...

Second great thing about this is the price!
    Many people here said its almost niche like and i totally agree with that. one of the cheapest niche perfumes around.

sillage+Longevity+scent+price+originality

Pros: Most green fragrance ever
    Cons: Can be crude to some"

28 August, 2013

mskhalidch's avatar
    mskhalidch

Awesome

simply awesome

Pros: Unique packing
    Cons: low budget price"

13 August, 2013

mr. singh007's avatar
    mr. singh007

awesome fragrance !!

i just love this fragrance , it's unique and soothing aroma lingers for 8+ hrs(good longevity). initially the silage is strong but then it bcms close to skin. it's a love or hate frag. i wd love if it has more sillage

Pros: a very soft and soothing drydown , good sillage
    Cons: sharp opening ( but it's okay)"

08 July, 2013

Alexey's avatar
    Alexey
    Germany Germany

I have to admit, I bought it because it was pretty cheap. Still, this scent is awful!!! It's smells of a powdery soap that my grandmother used to own. I can imagine that some people might love this kind of a smell, but it's not mine.

12 May, 2013

Sporenburg's avatar
    Sporenburg
    Spain Spain

Grey Flannel is something of a cult fragrance in Europe. There’s hardly any folk memory surrounding this surprisingly American old school classic so anyone looking for a cheap, stylish scent that isn’t too obvious can always investigate. Much has already been said about this controversial fragrance and I suspect the negatives mainly concern the opening. I personally don’t like the opening, which reminds me of a damp woolen blanket left overnight in the grass. But then again, I don’t like the majority of openings of most of my favorite fragrances and they are relatively unimportant in real classics. After five minutes Grey Flannel starts to mutate and lighten up into something literally bittersweet and unique. The base has a brilliant soapy feel which thanks to the remaining bitterness never gets too sweet.

Longevity and projection are above average but not as forceful as some have suggested (perhaps the original formulation was more powerful). This is indeed a scent for elegant men, not your t-shirt and jeans combo. With its constant associations of musty green and dampness I also like to think of it as the ultimate rainy Sunday morning scent. Calm, clean and slightly austere. A beautiful scent.

28 April, 2013

Echo777's avatar
    Echo777

Very astringent and soapy. Clean and deep, I find this to be very "barbershop". A cheap medicinal concoction that's worth a smell. Good enough for a gentleman on a budget.

28 March, 2013

Bobster's avatar
    Bobster

I have tried every which way to like this old school powerhouse but I can not bring myself too. I do not by any means call it a bad fragrance or dated or old manish. I do call it a fragrance that has stood the test of time with great projection and good longevity. Sadly, just not for me.

10th March, 2013

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

This old classic has recently received quite a bit of attention--both good and bad--online. I wonder why, now this is getting so much attention. If it is a love/hate scent, I fall into the love camp. One of the most original scents on the market when it came out, it smells a classic and distinctive now as it ever did. The mossy, green, medicinal violet scent is clean, discreet (in proper doses) and timeless. Fantastic bottle and packaging (that flannel bag--brilliant!). It is not loud or old manish--to me--but instead is something that would be at home on a diplomat or captain of industry. Despite being a discount fragrance now, it entered the market at the high end of designer prestige, riding high on Geoffrey Beene's well-deserved acclaim as America's top designer. This was unique when it came out but has spawned several children, such as the wonderful Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley and others. I have worn it over the years (am doing so now as I write, in fact) and love it. However, it is one of the few scents that has never become a part of me. Whenever I wear it, I keep smelling it throughout the day thinking, is there a man wearing Grey Flannel nearby? He smells good. As opposed to wow, I smell good. Oh well, at least someone smells good when wearing it!

08 January, 2013

overstatedpathos's avatar
    overstatedpathos

Admittedly, it doesn't take a lot to get a thumbs up out of me.
    Aptly named. Powdery and soft- odd to me that some on here are saying it's a loud scent, I'm not getting that at all. Actually strikes me as a great scent for bed when you're expecting more spooning than sex. Very comfortable, lends itself to close quarters.

25 December, 2012

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Violent violets? That's only Grey Flannel you smell. Back in '76, you could get away with basing a mainstream men's frag around violets. These days, forget it. But let's go back to '76. GF goes for violets and they're potent, warm and green. Never in the slightest does it ever get feminine and that's to the perfumer's credit. I detect also lavender & galbanum to make the men's garden complete. Yes, this is a garden built for man and it was revolutionary for '76. The everpresent violets never go away but a delectable oak moss, tonka and sandalwood accord creep in to form the base. So simple and so good. The quality is shockingly good as only the cheapest and barest of ingredients are in the juice. For the price, it's a steal. I've heard it's been reformulated like so many classic frags (they stripped out the oak moss) but I've not smelled the new version yet so the jury's out on that one. Look for the vintage version and prepare to enter the garden of manly delights.

25 December, 2012

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Grey Flannel opens with a citrus combination of lemon and bergamot, quickly joined by a floral green orange blossom, galbanum and petit grain undertone that permeates the early citrus development. The floral green accord remains into the early heart where it is then joined by a strong floral violet note that is the real star of the scent and hangs around to a degree through the remaining development. As the petit grain and galbanum begin to recede later in the heart phase, a supporting rose note now joins the violet. During the dry-down, the violet and now heavily diminished rose are sweetened just a hair by the use of tonka bean in the base though never does it sweeten Grey Flannel enough that one could mistake this for a sweet scent by any measure. Projection is good and longevity is very good.

Grey Flannel is pretty unique. It is a masculine floral that uses violet and galbanum very different than I have sniffed in other fragrances. I get an almost aromatic vibe early, with the green resinous citrus combination supporting the florals, then the scent takes a bit of a detour late, steering away from the florals to a degree while never quite entirely losing them. Grey Flannel is not particularly my kind of scent, but the quality of the composition is certainly there and I can easily appreciate what its legions of fans see in it. I would recommend sampling this before purchase, but due to its relatively low price nowadays even a blind buy (as I did) is not particularly risky. The bottom line is the classic scent Grey Flannel is a trendsetter that is a bit polarizing but worthy, earning a very good rating of 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5.

22 December, 2012

Nosebud's avatar
    Nosebud

The powdery opening screamed "old man" at me and I was scared. However, the old guy showed me patience is a virtue and hours later I am enjoying a nice oakmoss and sandalwood base. Dirt cheap, trying this frag out will probably deposit change into your pocket, that's how cheap it is.
    I don't know what else to say about it. I am pretty neutral on this one.

12 November, 2012

Jeszra's avatar
    Jeszra

It started out lemon rounded by floral with a hint of powdery on me. I dislike powder so I was a bit concerned but it was balanced. It's now dried down to a lovely oakmoss with a background of sandalwood and still a hint of violet at the end.

It is very clean, soapy and fresh but a little deeper and green due to the oakmoss. Inoffensive and conservative, but not necessarily something I would wear every day.

02 October, 2012

Old Werewolf's avatar
    Old Werewolf

Grey Flannel starts out with a very crisp, greens, lemon grass aroma. The middle notes are smooth. The basenote is a really musky sandalwood on me. It lasts through the day. Very nice.

20th August, 2012

crono38's avatar
    crono38

Horrible scent. It has a very sharp bitter note that is close to bringing me to tears, in a bad way. I'm pretty sure this will repel people.

Scent 1
    Sillage 8
    Longevity 7

20th August, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

One of the most renowned perfume ever, one the stage of the great classics with its aromatic, floral, herbal and mossy temperament. The juice is  restrained and conservative, it possesses a sort of (bathroom kind a la Paco Rabanne Pour Homme) laundry-medicinal soapy vibe and a kind of wet concrete undertone (typical with the violets) perfectly married with the general grassy, citrusy and mossy aura around. The first part of the trip is herbal (almost minty with accents of bergamot and lavender) and lemony with woody influences introducing the lymphatic valzer from the violets. The dry down is made by a solid sandalwood with mossy accents and with the moody (soapy-herbal) and elegant violet's trail. One of the "cleanest" fragrance ever, sharp discretion in a bottle.

19 August, 2012

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

a charming classic, enthralling all the way!

11th July, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

A powerful blast of bitter greens carried on a fat and sweet, greasy-turd violet note, this is the epitome of the anti-gourmand and has lost none of its power to surprise. I suspect this is one jolie-laide who instantly seduces or repels; count me among the weak-kneed.
    Impeccably crafted, no wonder shops sell it at ridiculous mark ups. Buy off the net and marvel at how something this iconic (and long-lasting) can be had so cheap.
    Not one I wear regularly but often the one I reach for on those dull days when other fragrances lose their ability to inspire. This classic is ill-served by its name – there's nothing grey or flannel-like about it. Instead it's bracing, iridescent and a bit of a dandy.

18 June, 2012

dreese's avatar
    dreese

An absolute, one-of-a-kind classic. The way the notes come together makes this olfactory absinthe.

13 June, 2012

RobbieX's avatar
    RobbieX

Absolute classic. Floral, soapy, medicinal, fresh, long-lasting and fabulous.

07 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2012)

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

I used to like it a lot but with every wearing I became more and more weary of the violet note and now I practically cannot stand it.
    I just bought an 8 oz bottle and ended up giving it away after 2 wearings because I realized that the dreadred violet note was giving me a headache.
    Although I do not like it anymore, I can not give it a thumbs down because it is a well composed fragrance and there was a time I really liked it, so a neutral seems fair.

07 April, 2012

Stratos's avatar
    Stratos

I have smelt many uninteresting, boring, overused and not very pelasant fragrances, but congratulations to Grey Flanel for being the first to make me physically recoil.

It could have the nicest drydown of any fragrance ever, but there is no way I will put up with such an offensively obnoxious opening. One spray on paper and I thought I'd give it a second chance. Some time later, just as bad.

Lot of positive reviews for this one so try it for yourself, but by my nose, bad bad bad

31st March, 2012

lovingthealien's avatar
    lovingthealien

One of the very, very best deals available. This one is to be strictly used on skin, lest you wish to smell like the "Mountain Rain" laundry detergents that are likely based on this classic!

The opening is a roll through a flower garden. "Green" starts and ends with this beautiful, bitter, juicy violet leaf opening. Galbanum and Citrus enhance and focus this bitter greenness, making it smell quite literally of crushed fleshy leaves, chlorophyll and peppery qualities abundant. Just beneath this realistic greenness is a beautiful floral bouquet. The entire effect is both realistic and nostalgic; this is truly the goal of perfumery. These florals play around with each other, some dominating over others, as the quiet, woody cyphre base adds a distinct edge to the scent, keeping it from just being a bubbly floral. It is shy, never really revealing its character through anything but subtle hints.

18 January, 2012

lupin's avatar
    lupin

I love the smell of this. I find it to smell comfortable, warm and fresh. The thing is... I think wearing it as a cologne is ridiculous. I can't think of anyone that I would enjoy smelling like this.

I treat it as a top shelf Febreeze.

That I can get behind.

Blankets and sheets smelling like this? Awesome.

A little spritz on the couch before guests come over? Wonderful.

Spraying it on myself? Why??

28 November, 2011

SpiceMustFlow's avatar
    SpiceMustFlow

I lament here the unskillful reformulation-loss of one of my favorite and first perfumes of my youth. The present product is different enough from the exquisite original to create a sad experience of living in the fake world. The perfume has lost its tricky green note (of wormwood and tarragon), and the loss of the entire intriguing and lasting "forest" impression makes this current version a castrated perfume. Its flower tone became one-dimensional, insipid and overpowering of obtrusive Gardenia substitute (the "violet" note has also became utterly synthetic). Eventually the fragrance became flat, effeminate and boring. I've bought the present bottle of "Grey Flannel" being surprised to find it on the shelf (as for years it was not sold in my country), totally out of the memory about it being a thrill. And what I've got? A miserable, chemical industry copy of the real. Terrible dissapointment

11th November, 2011

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Fresh, fruity, herbal. Moderate fragrance intensity and does not last long. It translates as cologne for perhaps 2 to 3 hours then breaks down to a vague soapy deodorant scent.

20th October, 2011

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Briefly, this fragrance smells like public bathroom, specifically gas station bathroom. Horrible! In the initial spray it almost kills me for being so strong. Over time it gets softer, giving more room for floral notes, but remains terrible. Anyway, I washed it after 30 minutes on my skin!

21st August, 2011