Reviews of H.M. by Hanae Mori

Damn I really love this scent so much that it's one of my favorites
05th September, 2016
RHM Show all reviews
Why this is designated "masculine", as opposed to "unisex" is beyond me.

This is a fabulous scent.

End of story.
15th July, 2016
Probable one of my most favorite life fragrances to date. I can work with the EdT, but the EdP is smoother and creamier, IMO. As far as gourmand scents go, it is not cloying and in your face; it lasts forever, and on clothing as well. I get compliments for this one and consider it at the top of all the fragrances I've tried / owned / wore. Not for everyone, but give it a whirl at your local store!
02nd November, 2015

Just put some on to refresh my memory via my nose!...
Stunning,breathtaking and could easily have qualified as a niche,"easily"....its dense yet light,stunning zesty lemon/berries,jasmine100% smell & lavender....Its almost a once in a lifetime scent....How they came up with this is anyones guess(process of ellimination though there are many many parts to this frag)...you'd be forgiven thinking theres just to much going on,but amazingly this just doesnt appear so....Its so well crafted....simply a joy!..smell very expensive,unique.!

Out of all the so called(hate the words)cheap scents its easily at the top and infact to my nose right up there with the niche scent...i kid you not!..
If nautica voyage etc gets a big shout out...then this should be bellowed from the roof tops!...
You just cannot go wrong with this...
Oh did i mention its lasts over 15 hrs on my skin and i can still smell it at this stage from 1 feet away from wrist!..
I even forgot about one day in the evening(7am sprayed) 10pm....i got this lovely woft and thought...wow!...then realised "yep there she blows"...She's genuinely amazing!...its a crime its at £30 100ml....
It acts way above its edt(stereo typed edt imagine,you know weaker than edp)sillage is crazy on me.....7-15hrs definately not a skin scent at all!
27th July, 2015
HM by Hanae Mori, not to be confused with the way inferior HiM, is for me hands down one of the most quality and most interesting cheapos ever. It screams fun, versatility, creativity and quality from every side. It is a really playful and quite unique blend of notes which smells at the same time complex and this close to messy, but completely compelling and solid like a really well engineered motor. The key notes which support the composition are citrus, lavender, vanilla and cocoa beans: the zesty freshness of citrus notes, the “masculine” touch of classic lavender, and a gourmand creamy warmth of chocolate and vanilla. There’s many other notes providing depth and “colour” (e.g. spices, something powdery, other herbs, musk), most of which I can’t detect further, but to me it seems these four notes stand out and provide the bone structure of HM. Which is totally brilliant and plain irresistible, as it is at the same time fresh, warm, sweet, creamy but “manly”, there’s dark mellow nuances perfectly balanced with playful fresh top notes and a touch of sweet creaminess.

“Fun” is the word that keeps coming to my head: HM smells happy, lively, fresh and sweet but in no way sweetish or childish, or tacky. It’s like a nice classy comedy movie (say, the funniest Woody Allen’s), which can be hilarious and witty but also totally solid and smart from the point of view of writing and direction (contrary to, say, “teen comedy movies” which may be fun, but technically pure cinematographic crap). HM is quite that, merry and carefree but really solid and “serious” composition/quality-wise. Plus anyway it smells just great, and I am sure I never smelled something so perfectly balancing freshness and warmth, sweet/creamy notes and darker/drier stuff (the kind of composition so many niche scents try to emulate on a regular basis, with half the success and three times the price). It changes a lot, continuously floating between sweet creaminess and freshness, slowly evolving from a more citrus-lavender centered blend, to a more prominent role of vanilla, then switching back to lavender as main character. Lasting crisp and clear for hours. More than just versatile it is purely eclectic. I can imagine anyone pulling this off in any situation, which is nearly the greatest achievement for a fragrance for me. A total steal for the price.

8,5/10

P.S.: review based on the EDT version.
14th June, 2015
Hanae Mori HM: Very sweet out of the gate. I think I'm getting the message from women. They love SUGAR! It's berries with vanilla cocoa. This makes it smell sexy but I would rather a woman wear this.
15th December, 2014
EDP VERSION: Synthetic lemon open cools down to a dirty vanilla cloves that lasts. Someone told me it smells like Christmas. WTF? Great for fall and the great price makes it a 4 out of 5.
09th August, 2014 (last edited: 01st September, 2014)
Will make you smell like a gigantic, sweet, androgenous Lemonhead candy. After a couple of hours you'll get some chocolate. If that's your thing, here's your juice.

Personally had to pass on this and prefer to use Oyedo when indulging in a lemon candy experience.
24th July, 2014
These are my initial impressions after applying this fragrance (EDT) for the first time. In the first 5-10 minutes after 2 sprays to my torso, my nose picks up a blend of mentholated lemon and lavender. I'm guessing that the blackcurrant note also helps morph the fragrance so I smell what almost approaches a fruity/flowery tobacco accord! Over 20-30 minutes this effect transforms into a more floral heart. Throughout this transition I smell a light mossy vibe that makes me think of Animale Animal more than A-Men. Other reviewers were correct in that the lemon note is still present but balanced by the floral heart. At about 1 hour the base begins to raise it's head on my skin. As the florals fade and the Base Notes kick in I continue to get fleeting hints of the AA vibe most likely due to the moss. In it's favor, it doesn't become cloying whereas AA crosses that line towards the end (on me.) I don't get the sugar bomb some people have mentioned either. I'm keeping in mind that it is winter and dry here right now. Additionally my upper torso is mostly bare so my skin drinks up fragrances. That said, longevity is decent on me (I still smell it at 4.5 hours) as is sillage (about 2-3 feet). It's not exactly what I expected at least in my first impressions but I like it. 4.0 stars out of 5. As the seasons change and I've had more time with this fragrance I plan to update this review.

Edit #1: After three days the fragrance has changed. I get a better separation of the top notes as well as more movement from top to heart to base. I get less of the sweet tobacco accord upon spraying. Now it smells more like sweet camphorous lemon. Shortly after I get the great florals coming in with the vanilla. I still like it.

Final Take: This has become part of my "Office Fragrance" rotation. It's a great scent with good longevity and sillage My only complaint is that occasionally it builds a "Beeswax" vibe on my skin late in the drydown. Apparently only I perceive it as none of my co-workers detect it. This one garners lots of positive feedback from my "Work Wives". They readily give me feedback both positive and negative and they like HM.

Pros: Light, fresh unique take on lemon. Nice drydown. Good Longevity (3-5 hours on me) and heavenly sillage.
Cons: Occasional cloying Beeswax vibe on my skin that only I seem to smell.
30th January, 2014 (last edited: 21st February, 2014)
Tried this today. I liked the opening and the warm vanilla really came through in the middle. Quite disappointed in the finish. Regardless, smells a bit too feminine for me. Reminds me of something my wife has. Maybe that's why women make great comments about it.
23rd January, 2014
H.M. loses me at the shaky opening and never fully recovers. I enjoy gourmand/oriental type fragrances such as Rochas Man and Midnight in Paris. H.M. has elements of each of these fragrances, i.e. iris, lavender, chocolate, etc., but I prefer the others over H.M. I don't dislike H.M., I just have other options that better fit my nose and mind. H.M. is a pleasant, inoffensive fragrance. Worthy of a test drive.
11th January, 2014
metchu Show all reviews
Amazing! The cologne that got me into the fragrance "game". Huge citrus/lemony blast of an opening that settles into this delicious vanilla/chocolaty bomb. I love it, there's nothing else to say. Lots of compliments, this simply doesn't smell like anything I've ever smelt before. This is not your "everyday" smell, it's your "I'm making a statement" smell. Wouldn't wear this at work, female colleagues might be too distracted. Awesome longevity...only gripe would be the sillage, it stays pretty close to the skin. This is such a sexy scent that you want to be wearing it in close quarters anyway [dates, dancing, whatever] and whoever you're with will love it. Seriously, awesome for the price. I own the EDP and prefer it to the toilette. 9.5/10
05th January, 2014
Too metallic on me, smelled too strong without smelling like anything in particular
26th December, 2013

Decent attempt at doing gourmand sweetness and citrusy notes. Doesn't smell extraordinary, but it's alright.
12th May, 2013
Complex and classy, sophisticated and sharp. Extraordinary.
08th April, 2013 (last edited: 11th April, 2013)
This is the only fragrance ive purchased based on a recommendation from another that was so bad that I had to leave a review. This smells like synthetic lemon heads mixed with vapor rub. Makes me literally nauseous, first scent ive ever had to wash off of myself. Also had a similar reaction to A*men, so maybe its just totally not my style.
18th February, 2013
A non-typical, linear and chronological review for Hanae Mori HM, EdT. I wrote this as I took this out of the box and first applied.

First - a nice, tall proud flacon. Classy and chic.

I put two sprays on my inner wrists and 2 shots to the back of my hand, lightly rubbed in - I want to really get this. The tester bottle lists all the notes in French and English down the back of the bottle (here it is as written):

Lemon
Vanilla
Tonka Bean
Sandal Wood

NOT FOR SALE - on the bottom

Okay, definitely a wonderful fresh and vibrant lemony opening that integrates with the spearmint and lavender within 5-7 minutes. I love this opening, being totally honest! I can smell a freshness that is clean, yet breathing through is a slight touch of the florals to come and a bit of the oriental base (I smell vanilla, tonka bean and a touch of amber) - at 15 minutes or so. This is the pastry smell some mention - "a lemon creme puff pastry", or something to that effect. I can grasp that, but to me...this stays a bit lighter and not edible. It could be because I am not in a full wearing, so the effect could be more like that if this was on my neck, chest/shirt, etc.

While it is somewhat sweet and the brilliantly fresh and citrus, mint, lavender opening has mellowed - it doesn't get cloying. I have to say that the Blackcurrants come in somewhere around the notes of Jasmine and Iris at the top of the heart (right at the end of the opening). This isn't too sweet, but there is a noticeable near-gourmand quality at this stage, but the florals come in and really show the heart of this fragrance (fresh, yet powdery - very natural; organic & beautiful). It offers (as the French word is 'Cassis') a deep, rich earthy fruit note. Cassis is a note I know to the nose, ironically, from wine. It is not overly done here - this stays light in texture, "color" and aroma. I am not finding myself in the camp of pastry here - although the Jasmine and Iris both have powdery qualities, the Bulgarian Rose is not too loud (but smooth and harmonious), but a key note here along with the Lily of the Valley (earthy). Very nice bouquet! The moss is not really a key note in this. To me, it is more like a green accord/undertone that comes with the florals (a splash of green in the bouquet to 'fill it out') - a little damp and something that helps bring the heart together. More of a "feel" than an actual note.

Vanilla showed first, but at this point (30-35 minutes), I actually get a bit more amber and tonka bean. The vanilla is there - but what I like is that it was used in moderation. As I've discussed before - vanilla, amber and even tonka bean can radiate through a scent (breathing up from the basenotes to the top even...a feeling of warmth throughout) - what I find interesting is that the floral heart really lasts well with these notes in a nice synergy (also all fixatives, in the oriental realm).

Last, and certainly not least - the key to why this composition does not get cloying in the base (45-50 minutes in) - the Sandalwood note! It is very well-defined and offers that creamy, smooth woodiness that only sandalwood can offer. I am getting a very nice warm, well-integrated base with the florals still wafting their scent through the base. I have to say that the moderate use of the amber, vanilla and tonka bean (and not too much of any one of those) allows the sandalwood to be more dominant. This is seriously good stuff.

No rating - just admiration. There was a point where I thought it may overly-sweeten and go into gourmand territory, but on my skin...I get a nice oriental base (no chocolate for me) with nice woods and singing light florals. The rose actually peeks through and blooms even more at the 1 hour mark.

Definitely a very, very good buy. Nothing like it in my collection. I asked my wife what she thought of it - she really liked it! "A bit sweet, but that's really nice!" And, because human body chemistry is different - I sprayed two shots on my younger son's neck (who loves fragrance). It smells deeper and yet, more floral and spicier on him. I applied it just 15-20 minutes after I sprayed my wrists and hand. I do notice that the inside of my wrists are deeper too - the back of my hand is taking longer to develop and evolve (which is why I always wear scent there). Plus, the projection from the backs of your hands really radiates and shows the scent...

Very good, indeed! Invigorating. A beam of radiant sunshine in a bottle. Recommended for those who want to add a splash of decadent light into their wardrobe.

**Please note - that this was written in real-time as a "virtual review" - typing, sniffing, pausing, and typing more as I went.

Cheers.
17th January, 2013 (last edited: 22nd March, 2013)
This is just a weird scent. I have the EDP, so that's the version I'm reviewing.

It's essentially a bunch of ideas all stacked on top of each other. It's a masculine lemony herbal chypre, and it's also got a lavender/tonka fougere in there, too. There's a bunch of mint on top, and then all of this happens on top of a vanilla/chocolate gourmand.

It's very complex, but somehow the sweetness makes it feel kind of simplistic. I can see why the people who hate HM hate it, but I can also see how people fall in love with it. I'm stuck in the middle, appreciating it but finding it a bit hard to wear.
07th January, 2013
This stuff is horrible. The notes clash and you can't tell where the frag is going. Too sweet as well. Smells cheap and very synthetic. It's lemony and sugary with a lot of things going on.

A science project gone bad! Seriously!
16th December, 2012
Definetely a must have! Great smell, reasonable price and very distinctive. Smells like vanilla and lemons mostly. Sillage, lasting power and projection are high. Very sweet. Can be cloying sometimes. Thumbs up!
15th December, 2012
nice gourmand...citrus sugar open, chocolate vanilla dry-down. smells good on paper, I must try it on skin.
22nd October, 2012
Fish Show all reviews
Picked this up as a blind buy/used bottle and it is probably the sweetest beginning to a male edt I have come across so far. I do pick up the lemon in the beginning but also mixed with Double Bubble gum from years gone by, the vanilla. After dry down (of 1 to 2 hours), I begin to enjoy this. While still marginally sweet it does become a bit darker, mellow and quite not so loud, in fact quite nice and more manly for sure. While I will probably keep this scent, sice I like the post dry down, I have to figure where to hide out for 2 hours after application.
19th October, 2012
A light, non traditional men's [eau de toilette] that borders on the gourmand, whose slightly sweet, spicy-fresh blend of vibrant citrus, florals and green notes are supported by sensual, incense-like sandalwood and vanilla base notes... which become more noticeable as the fragrance dries down.

NOTE: Cosmetics & Perfumes International (manufacturers of HANAE MORI H.M.) have confirmed that there is no "chocolate note" in this fragrance - contrary to speculation by imaginative reviewers who have suggested so.
17th October, 2012
Cotton candy in a bottle, baby!
25th September, 2012
Bought this based on the reviews.
Luckily only bought the 1.7 oz size.
I get no lemon at all. It starts as a synthetic, generically sweetish smell.
Eventually dries down to a synthetic vanilla scent.
Nothing to like at all. The great country of France with its rich perfume history, should insist that this be made elsewhere.
On a happier note, in spite of the decidedly mixed reviews on Nicole Miller for Men, I bought a bottle recently. It's wonderful with decent longevity and a scent profile different from any other in my collection.
24th September, 2012
Shon T Show all reviews
If you like sweet fragrances you will love this. It is sweet and turns dark as time goes by. It reminds me of other sweet fragrances like Body Kouros and Angel Men, but all are different. If u own the others then u may not want this one as they are similar in ways. But if sweet is your choice of fragrance then it's a must buy. It's very affordable too.
23rd September, 2012
HINDSIGHT 20/20:
Gave near a full bottle away. I wanted to like it, but it just has too much going on and wound up being cloying in a really off putting way. I know there is a lot of hype on this fragrance, but I would encourage a prolonged try period with samples before you buy as it may wind up turning your stomach.
18th August, 2012 (last edited: 21st November, 2015)
Great fragrance! Opens up with a sweet lemon note that is to be respected. Almost as if you sprinkled a pinch of sugar on a fresh lemon wedge. Drys down with a deeper, clean smell. Doesn't get much better than this for the price :).
14th August, 2012
Of the 4 fragrences I tested today this is the sweetest. People keep saying it smells like lemon. Maybe it does, but to me it smells sweet like sugar. Maybe it's lemon, think pink lemonade without the bitterness, just sweet lemonade.

You ever try Aqualina's Sugar? Neither have I, but this might be what it smells like, a sweet sugar bordering on girly. But still I think it's a decent scent. Test before you buy.

Slilage 5
Scent 7
08th August, 2012
Very fresh citrus scent, with sweet undercurrents of gourmand notes. Overall, among the 100 fresh fragrances I've tried, this one impressed me. At a very low price point of $30 for a 100ml, there are not much better deals out there.

07th July, 2012