Positive Reviews of Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Find out more about Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Izzie's avatar

Like Platinum Egoiste if you spilled it in a curry

When I first discovered this fragrance, I liked it. It smelled pleasant and masculine and a little unusual compared to most men's fragrances today.

However, once my nose picked up on the overwhelming smell of CURRY that exists in this fragrance, it became absolutely disgusting to my nose.

Go with Platinum Egoiste instead, they are very similar, only Platinum Egoiste doesn't smell like someone's home while they're cooking.

16 August, 2013

Mysticman's avatar

Highly derivative of Calvin Klein's Eternity for Men, Herrera is a bit more subtle and progresses from top to base notes more quickly. The opening is fresh and zingy, then it settles down through its green mid-notes into a warm woody-musky base. I like!

14 February, 2013

's avatar

I used this fragrance almost every day between 1996 and 1999. At that time i loved this. I dont have it anymore, but i remember exactly how it smells: great, mature and classy. Lots of sweet tobacco. Classic.

08 November, 2012

csharp's avatar

Wohu, first review! I had a interesting expierence in a parfum shop today. First: Dsqared potion. Hm, nice, beeswax and same smokey notes, but it doesn't last that long and stays very close to the skin. Intimate scent, I will give it a second try. Second: Kokoriko by JPG. Very interesting sweet notes and lovely patchouli, but after the drydown it's too generic for me. Very powerful, it still lasts on my hand. Nice somehow, but not for me.

Most impressive: My Herrera for men I still had on my wrists. I discovered it last year rather cheap in an duty free and it quickly became my signature scent. Natural and intriguing, the balance of leather, wood and aaaah.. geranium! Don't be fouled by the first impression, the drydown makes this one special. If you find most scents too sweet, esp. on your skin, this could be yours. Still my every day favourite.

Give it a try against some new overpowering designer scents, which get so monodimensional after a few hours. Excuse me, I have to wash my hands.

31st October, 2012

digiomni's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A great perfume with a unique fragrance, worth the low longevity, it also requires body heat to awaken all the notes being highly recommended for anyone who has a busy day out and run, or to a meeting where you want to surprise, for at first its fragrance is nice and smooth, but as things are heating up the scent becomes completely making the meeting something unforgettable

19 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2012)

Grottola's avatar

Yup, this is a precursor to XS by Paco Rabanne, and Chic for Men. Herrera for Men is a bit fresher, with noticeable fougère elements and some aldehydes in the top. I actually like this one more than XS and the others of that ilk.

Good longevity, and can be found for cheap - check it out!

16 May, 2011

Mr. Cologne's avatar

My first review. Of my First ever real Frag! :D I was 20 when I got my sis to buy me this. I passed over a bunch of stuff to find this gem. Its all I used for REALLY long, mostly as a formal scent. It's still totally fabulous, I have a tiny bit left in the bottle and I don't have the heart to finish it!

To my nose, it stays fairly linear but develops as it drys down. I much prefer this style of perfume than the ones which smell completely different as they dry down, tho there are some very beautiful notable exceptions to this rule :D

It smells mostly spicy sweet, but really well blended sweet. You can smell faint hints of the tabac and clove a couple hours after you put it on. It's one of the best smelling things carolina has made for men (not a fan of 212men or other greeny fumes, tho 212men has the most insane sandalmuskincensy base but I cannot suffer thru the green heart for it!) I do like 212 sexy for men tho - way more up my alley.. way better blended, reminiscent of fumes like armani code.

I'm a fan of 212 and 212 sexy tho :D

I recently bought chic for men based on reviews and smelling it on card and returned it because I couldnt suffer thru the incensy heart that came up after the pretty nice watermelony top. I LOVE incensyness, but it better be blended well with a complementary note like citrus.. like Issey homme Intense.. Chic for men seems nice and balanced except for that rude abrupt cheap incense.

Herrera for men - Still awesome. Smells a little for the maturer guy but I've been wearing it since I was 20, great frags have no age :o) Sillage is just right, longevity is huge. Preferable to use this in the evenings or cooler weather, could be too much in the sweltering heat.

I've heard about the herrera vetiver and ginger and am curious to try em out.. both those notes are faves of mine! :D SOON!

PS: This smells classy and sophisticated and for the discerning connoisseur. There's more complex tones available, but this smells just right for a relaxing evening.

30th March, 2011

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

probably the best scent from this house. it is light yet quite versatile. also has that spanish flair and boldness typical of the culture. would make a great signature scent for the classier fellow.

19 August, 2010

jcastano's avatar

A Gentlemens Fragrance! I received this for Chistmas by my bro-in law when I was 19 and ever since then, I've had it in my collection. The spices in this fragrance, such as the colve and tabacco, are ridiculously done! Absolute perfection! I've yet to meet a man or woman who have not been taken by this fragrance! Though, some wouldn't recommend it for a younger crowd, I say kill all that noise and wear it if you enjoy it. It's definitely intense with projection so easy on the trigger, and longevity is amazing so I suggest any true fragrance fanatic at least try it out. I'm sure you won't be disappointed! I wouldn't wear it in the summer/spring but it's great for fall and even better for winter! Good to wear on a night on the town or a special occasion. Your partner will certainly appreciate it! A must have!!!

01st February, 2010

periquito89's avatar

Brazil Brazil

One of the most elegant perfumes which I know. In the same vein of Burberry Men (this one is more sharp and burocratic), and Paco Rabanne XS (this one is more simple and perhaps more safe), but better, more refined than these 2.

07 December, 2009

pasha's avatar

This is supposedly Angelina Jolie's favorite scent to wear.

Curious.

26 October, 2009

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Fragrance can evoke tons of memories, and Carolina Herrera for Men does it for me...I think it's the one that turned me into the wonderful world of scents (not even my first "frag", Lacoste Classic, can have that uhm...honor hehe).

As a fan of fougeres this is right up my alley, and the tobacco note just adds to its warm-fuzzy quality (I also own D&G PH and Versace The Dreamer, I seem to be a fan). Great for bed-weather nights (its drydown is comforting and just asks for a snuggle-fest), romantic dates and dinners with friends wherein one has to turn up the charm and the sophisticate factor :) Have had several compliments on this one...A scent that'll never be absent from my collection.

30th June, 2009

's avatar

Lovely scent. Ideal as an every day casual scent to wear to the office but would also be great for evening wear in warmer climates. I particularly like the amber note in this fragrance and I agree with Vawallpa that it's similar to Safari (both contain Geranium and Sandalwood), although Herrera is lighter and fresher on my skin. I'm pleasantly surprised by this one and will be seeking out more bottles.

19 May, 2009

le male's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

the beautiful aroma, bring back into lucky adolescence. Splendid, spicy, eastern. Long and steadfast train will do the evening with loved woman else more piquant.
    In its niche has not equal.

30th April, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

Quite unique and very masculine. I wouldn't wear it because it would be like wearing a billboard with neon lights and I don't want my cologne to draw too much attention to me. However, I wouldn't mind it on someone else. Marginal thumbs up.

09 March, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

This is a wonderful crisp, sweet fragrance. It’s quite luscious and it has this wonderful tone which reminds me of something in between tobacco and crunchy walnuts. Its almost edible accord.

Very smooth musky drydown with woods puts out one great smelling sillage.

I can easily see this scent pleasing most of the females: It is a perfect combination of sweet, fresh, crisp and masculine shades.

I believe this was a some sort of prototype for Dolce&Gabbana`s mega-successful Pour Homme.

15 February, 2009

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

It should be in the top10 fragrances in the world ..... im not exagerating ... we are talking about a perfume made in 1991... but whenever you smell it you feel it is modern and you cant tell it is an old scent unless you know that fact ..... it is one of the best pefumes ever made .....

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2009)

Dolphins's avatar

Most complimented fragrance I have ever worn (and ther have been many) by both sexes not trendy not current just a complete classic .I have a fear that this may be discontinued I hope not.
    Attending Xmas party in a room full or fragrance three people said "you smell gorgeous>"

20th December, 2008

zlenci's avatar

Agreed! I thought my taste had changed since 1997 when I had one and used to adore it! Now it's simply not the same.
    You can't imagine what you've missed! Anyhow, it still deserves a positive review.

30th November, 2008

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Nice... Very slightly resembling Boucheron's Jaipur (although it's far from the refinement of the latter), this is a comfortable fragrance that proves to be very easy to wear. It's a sweet and light scent that seems to be a safe choice almost anytime. Not necessarily an impressive perfume, but a pretty enjoyable scent. Worth a try.

31st July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

A light sweet fougere fragrance. The clove and tobacco go really well.

07 July, 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

This is good stuff, it put a smile on my face. I recently bought Paul Smith Extreme (clear bottle with the milticolor side), and this Herrera reminds me of it, except the Paul Smith would be like the au Fraiche version.

You can't go wrong with this, very spicy,(think east India) but sweet spicy and longevity is great. plus it envelopes well.
    Recommended

11th June, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Not much more to add. A very good, classy fouragee. I have Chanel's Platinum Egoiste and this frag is basically the same. Well, I have Realities as well, and I am pretty sure that if I combine 2 parts PE and 1 part Realities, I get this fragrance. Overall, very good frag for the money, opens up intensely, base is smooth and pleasant. A+

09 March, 2007

jellybean1973's avatar

South Africa South Africa

This was my first about ten years ago. Afterwards gone around and had others, but when Herrera for men was not in my wardrobe, I lacked something. I'm not able to comment on the complexity of the notes, but suffice to say, it's been one of the best I've ever come across. Citrus DOES NOT do it for me, but in this one, if DEFINITELY does. One of the only 2 imports I got for myself.

21st October, 2006

nicolastutor's avatar

I love this one so much! Don't get me wrong, I like sweet frags (big fan of Pi) but after the top fades, this one is not that sweet at all. It's not too dry by any means, but the dryness and sweetness are perfectly combined. The clove is actually pretty mellow, and it smoothly blends right into the amber in the drydown. The clove (or is it ginger I smell?) sticks around for a long time, but gets more muted in the base. It's very strange to say, but it goes good with coffee on a cold morning.
    I also think it's very similar to xs, but I give the nod to Herrera, just cause it's so much more vibrent.

19 October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

Herrera for Men is just a tad too sweet for me -- is it a clove note that makes it so? No, I don't think so -- it seems to be an anise note, or something along those lines (but not listed).

It's a classic, though -- just a classic I'd rather give out for gifts than keep for myself. I can definitely see this one still being around twenty years from now and -- in a world of ephemeral market "blips" -- that's saying a lot.

11th October, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2008)

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Have you ever seen Carolina Herrera-okay, beautiful, classical, feminine and tasteful lady-and so is this perfume!Tasteful, classical, elegant and special.One of the great perfumes of the 90ties.You knew that Carolina Herrera´s perfume is fracas of robert Piguet-that matches!Carolina Herrera for men is classy, sexy but in small doses! Be careful if not it becomes too intense and sharp!In the right dosage it is fresh and cool-it si warm and cold-the right mixture of all ingredients!

07 October, 2006

sshak13's avatar

Very classy and elegant. You'll smell like a hundred bucks.

02 August, 2006

sherrie11's avatar

Thumb way up on this. This is one of my favorite men's fragrances. As a female, I find this fragrance sooo seductive and sexy. I bought some for my husband several years ago and wish I could persuade him to wear it more often, but I think the initial citrus just doesn't attract him. When he does occasionally wear it, I say, "What is that incredible scent you have on?" It turns so wonderful with his chemistry that I don't recognize it. He's actually more of an oriental guy, wore Obsession when I met him, and now reaches for Jaipur most often. Still...this one is perfect for him. Sexy but classy, and in the right dosage (meaning just a bit) -- devastating!

21st March, 2006

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Herrera for Men has to be one of the classiest and elegant colognes for distinguished gentlemen. It has the right proportionate mix of the hard-edged and soft-edged scents. It hangs with you all day long and is not too overpowering. Great daily-wear cologne. Spray a little more on for an evening out. Herrera for Men IMO is the #1 ice breaker for meeting females for the very first time. Also, I agree with other colleagues, Herrera smell like Egoiste Platinum, but Herrera is better and it’s less expensive.

07 February, 2006