Reviews of Horizon by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Horizon by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Shifty Bat's avatar

A salty fennel and grapefruit scent laid over fresh patchouli. More a 'damp herbal' than an aquatic, it is very similar to the original formula of Kenzo Pour Homme but more naturally friendly-smelling and without the sort of low tide musk that came with. Tucked away in the layers of this composition is some kind of berry (far in the background of the big picture) as well as an accord that reminds me strongly of The Visionary by the Gap, which was a sparse green scent comprised mostly of caraway and geranium. The whole effect is strange but incredibly alluring, especially considering the current asking price. The top doesn't stay too long but the woody drydown is a close quarters, all day affair.
    Horizon exhibits one of the greatest utilizations of fennel in a fragrance that I have ever encountered; it is a beautiful, bittersweet watercolor and (despite the vague comparisons) an utterly singular creation.

04 August, 2014

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Gorgeous spicy aquatic scent with great longevity and projection from the French House of Guy Laroche.

The scent starts citrusy, then turns marine salty with beautiful herbal aromatic nuances followed by a long lasting drydown of wood, patchouli and pronounced moss. Very Nice!

Beautiful sporty bottle too!

02 April, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Marine with a twist

The beginning has grapefruit vibes with fresh mint, which then adds a sea-salty marine note without ever becoming a typical aquatic. There is a pleasant greenness in the drydown and I get lots of fennel. The base notes have a bit of wood and a fairly soft patchouli developing into a smooth mossy ending. There is quite a bit of good development in this scent, with initially good silage and projection that later becomes close to my skin. Total longevity over three hours.

18 August, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Seriously under-rated

It took me 2 years to understand this fragrance. It is dirt cheap on eBay, which should help its cause, instead it gets people thinking it is a crap frag. But it's not, it is a complex fragrance with many layers of goodness. This is what makes it hard to like in the first place. Too many things going on at once in the first blast. It is dusty with some spice. And a hint of blue, which all come together to make a 80s shower fresh scent.

You shouldn't over-spray this or your nostrils will be assaulted. You'll miss everything nice about it.

Pros: Complex in a good way
    Cons: Takes time to understand

24 June, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Tries to be Too Many Things

Kind of fresh, kind of soapy, kind of spicy, kind of minty. Those are all things I enjoy, just not all in the same bottle. I don't hate it, but I don't really enjoy it either. Well worth the low price to try and learn from it though.

Pros: Unique
    Cons: Stylistically all over the map

20th June, 2013

rybot's avatar

Smells a little bit like soap - I think Zest or something like it. Big grapefruit vibe up front with some nice spicy-greenness in the background. A great scent for warmer weather that doesn't smell like the usual aquatic fare. This stuff smells GREAT!

Projection and longevity are phenomenal as well - I sprayed 3 times on my chest/neck and it was too much all day long. Less is more with this beauty. Thumbs up all around!

04 May, 2013

Francois Blais's avatar

I was immediately reminded of Horizon when I tried Aramis' New West this morning.
    However, i prefer Horizon to New West.
    The calone (or whatever aquatic note used) fades more quickly, and the drydown is more complex and interesting than NW.
    Stocked two bottles by the way... :)

11th April, 2013

mmmm's avatar

This smells like only one thing to me. The inside cabin of an old boat thats been sitting in the atlantic. That musky woody salty smell. This cologne is that air captured in a bottle with a pleasant potpourri added to it . I was looking for an aquatic, and wasn't really what I expected. Its certainly not a bad fragrance, just I don't see why people would want to smell like this. I wouldn't even test this bottle if your under 30, this smells like someones dad or someones dads old boat. Im 22, Ill probably hold onto this for 10 years than fall in love with it, but for now, its a dust collector

23 March, 2013

dreese's avatar

Very unique and well-mixed stuff. Usually I associate woodsy, smoky fragrances with Fall and Winter, but this blending of woods and floral elements seems to function better as a Spring/Summer scent. Projection and longevity are great and I am amazed at the manner that the floral notes seem to reach a bit further than the body of the scent. Peculiar and wonderful.

12 February, 2013

cwg's avatar

Reading through other reviews, I agree most with that of PerfumeCollector. Dark but fresh, assertive, and very masculine. Its projection is good, its longevity is superb, and I find it very linear. The scent itself is unique and complex, but I think the fennel, patchouli and oakmoss are most prominent to my nose. It is not an aquatic, but it may be oceanic. It has the ocean's richness and sweet pungency. To those who describe it as light, well, not on me. It may be the heaviest scent I wear, something of a capstone to the powerhouse era.

I'm probably not the only one here to have cleaned out a couple of Dollar Trees. Ended up with 22 bottles at $1 each. Several lifetimes supply, but I expect to trade some off. Everyone should own a bottle. It's distinctive, unique, and very wearable.

20th April, 2012

Stratos's avatar

Just a good quality scent here, I thoroughly enjoy wearing this one for all occasions. For work it's light and fresh and lasts all day, for evenings and more formal occasions it is something original interesting and more complex than most of the other "sporty" fragrances I have tried. Very nice, especially or the price. Discontinued but still seems readily available, I may just have to buy a few extras, shame to lose such a nice scent while Drakkar Noir is still around

30th March, 2012

sniff sniff's avatar

Hit your local Dollar Tree NOW for the deal of the year! I cleaned out the shelf at one store, checked the other 2 in town - either they hadn't put any out yet, or someone beat me to their booty. As it is I scored 16 bottles. How sad that this has been discontinued. A pity - I guess that only myself, those I gifted, and a few others, will be wearing this scent in this town any time soon. If you can find some where you live, get some now. An earthy, clean, masculine scent.

24 December, 2011

noirdrakkar's avatar

It's low price is certainly appealing.

This is a very distinct scent (not like the hundreds of generic scents out there), so if you are blind buying this, you are taking a huge risk.

I took the risk, and I liked it. It is a very balanced scent, refreshing and masculine at the same time, with the citrus of grapefruit, but at the same time spicy (peppery) and a little woodsy.

Projection and longetivity are great. It begins as a loud fragrance, but calms down in the dry down. Still, it is strong and lasts long.

I would not recommend this as a daily fragrance as you will probably get sick and tired of it if you wear it too often. It's a good once-in-a-while-fragrance

Still, not for everyone. I would not recommend a blind buy.

20th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

MrLenny1979's avatar

I remember smelling this when I was in 6th grade, and LOVING it ! Then, 10 years LATER owning a bottle, just loved it then and still do, it's unique yes, soft, yes, yes, and clean, which I don't care for usually however when I'm looking for a soft, powdery clean scent with a PUNCH of spark and spice I reach for this.

03 October, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This is a very fresh fragrance, but by no means "Aquatic", it is a kind of dark, bitter freshness, bitter probably due to the grapefruit, geranium, carnation combination plus artemisia in abundance, and dark due to some coniferous elements with patchouli that conveys the idea of the deepest confines of a dense forest.
    The species bring life to this perfume creating a lighter, airy sensation but still with a heavy and melancholic feeling that would have been too gloomy without them .
    The drydown is a mossy patchouli sweetened up by a touch of amber and lots of woods. If there is one word to define this perfume is "Different", there is nothing in the market that comes even close to it.
    And as Johnson would have said: You can call me fresh, you can call me refreshing, you can call me vivid, you can even call me sharp, but you don't have to call me aquatic.
    Tumbs up to the uniqueness if this scent.

02 September, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Best described as an Herbal/aquatic with a soapy drydown. Smell a bit of pepper in the opening and hard which transitions into a sandlewood and oakmoss drydown. Very clean and great for hot weather. If this were $50 or more a bottle I'd still buy it without hesitation. Considering it's less than $10.00 and ounce just makes it a no brainer.

30th June, 2011

fragranceseeker's avatar

Discontinued apparently, I bought this as a trial cheapy, costing £5 (around $8?) for 50ml(1.7 oz). I have worn it for the last 3 days, and received compliments from women on each of those days - enough said? maybe not. I do like woody fragrances, and this one scores in spades for me, as does the longevity.I have Givenchy Xeryus in my collection, and this is similar, and maybe was designed to be so, as Xeryus was possibly designed to capture some of the YSL Kouros wearers? Anyway, for me this is ASTONISHING value at the price paid, and I bought lots of it while it was available at this price. I will wear it with confidence.

23 May, 2011

B.I.G.'s avatar

Moldova Moldova

Where do i begin?
    The initial blast has a distant sweetness and i hoped it would last sometime. But not my luck. The scent goes into full herbal territory and honestly there's no trace of aquatic or dewy notes or whatsoever. Minty herbs paradise! It doesn't cheer me up or evoke some sort of feelings! Time will tell.

19 April, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Wonderful hybrid, on one side aquatic and on the other side green-aromatic. Meditative and introspective its temperament is so different from the brash one expressed by the cousin Drakkar Noir. I figure inside a moody, solitary man observing till the horizon line the immense blu ocean. This fellow is calm and owns a solid spiritual and oriental wisdom. This fragrance is sharp, herbaceous, mentholated and salty-marine with a pronounced peppery note. For the first hour you can inhale a blast made of citruses, herbs, fruits, needles of conifers, dry fruits and astringent flowers (geranium, carnation and cyclamen). In this phase the mint is very prominent and a mentholated lavender amalgamates all the ingredients in a traditional, masculine  way, aromatic and bracing. In this phase are detectable the fruity touch of mandarine and the airy, watery effect of the caraway. The latter, as flanked by flowers, infuses sophistication to the juice. The dry down is manly and more structured than a common aquatic base and is mossy, woody with addition of amber and leather and the insertion of a bold patchouli in order to enhance the charismatic moody trait. At this point the fragrance appears more woody and green than usual for the ozone-marine "ordinary" concoctions but still manages to preserve that mysterious enigma of the oceanic depths. This is a deep and humid concoction that becomes finally soapy as a dynamic but melancholic, virile, a bit sporty creation. The bottle is one of the best ever issued, longevity and sillage are in the average.

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2014)

Swanky's avatar

The Cologneist does a pretty good job of describing the upside to this one. I prefer it to Drakkar Noir, especially in DN's current version. Horizon reminds me of Lacoste Original and Captain Molyneux with their soapy and herbal astringency. I like all three, although Horizon adds a slightly smoky vibe (perhaps the black pepper) that I quite enjoy and might put it ahead of Captain.

It doesn't share the powerhouse character of it's older sibling Drakkar Noir - Horizon is almost a skin scent after about 6 hours. Bottles are available for a reasonable price.

12 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

SirScent's avatar

Clean, fresh fragrance that was initially offensive with it's heavy Grapefruit opening-enough to evoke a harsh "P.U." but the dry down is nice and even. Don't let the top notes scare you away. This is worth the wait and can be had for cheap. I find it more wearable than Drakkar. Discontinued but still available on the web.

05 October, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Two words: herbal aquatic. This best sums up Horizon. Though I didn't find it to be as different as others did. This barely makes the aquatic category imo, but just calling it herbal would be too vain. In ways it's a powerhouse, because it does have that 80's smell and feel, it does project well, and last long. It's also kind of soapy as well as a chypre.

To those who get that sort of dark feel from Cool Water as I do, you'll get that from Horizon as well. It reminds me of an herbal Cool Water, not smell wise though as far as the comparison to CW goes, rather feel, and structure. As CW smells and feels a bit dated sometimes, so does Horizon.

If I had to pick another powerhouse to compare it to it would definitley be Drakkar Noir in its current formulation. They are nearly identical in how they project, sillage as well as longevity. DN may last a little bit longer.

As for the notes, I pretty much get everything listed in the pyramid, but very little black pepper, maybe even none. My mind wants to tell my nose that the black pepper is there sometimes, but being a pepper fanatic, I just don't get it. The mint is there but it's a very atypical and medicinal mint. Everything blends together pretty smoothly and what we get is a soapy/herbal/aquatic start with a little bit of chypre as it dries down. Hard to categorize and explain, yet not entirely unique, as I stated earlier. Your best bet is to just try this one, or buy it blind if it's cheap enough. If you dislike it after, sell it in the marketplace forum, I guarantee somebody will gladly take it off your hands.

15 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2011)

Redbeard's avatar

Moderately grapefruity, soapy herbal thing. Nice I suppose, but it's just slightly too close to standard-issue shampoo for me to really respect it. Consider Balle de Match instead...slightly less shampooey grapefruit. Still, I respect it as a sort of proto-aquatic.

16 May, 2010

fresh2death's avatar

My nose is not trained like most of you good folks. I originally bought this years ago, when my cologne collection consisted of Polo, Cool Water, and Joop! I had the splash bottle. I liked it then, but, as my fascination of colognes grew, I sought to try newer, "greater" things, and Horizon fell by the wayside. Near 16 years later, with my collection (and nose, i think) substantially improved, I bought this again.
    All I can say is WOW!! The acquatics out cannot even COME CLOSE to the richness, complexity, and uniqueness of this scent. 90 percent of the acquatics out now are water in comparison (though I love aqva). I smell this and I think of the countless times I went swimming in the ocean at night. This is not a bright, cheery acquatic. It has an aura, and a mood to it that doesnt conjure images of bright, sunlight seashores with a gentle breeze. Try a hot summers night, with a wind whipping, and an oncoming storm, with the scent of ozone in the air. There is something smoky in Horizon, which gives it such great character.
    This stuff lasts, and the drydown is superb. (when can you say THAT about aqua di gio?) The intial spray is a bit medicinal, or synthetic as many on here have noted, but this underscores the point of how a cologne changes as it dries, and it mixes with your body chemisty. I cannot wait to wear this tomorrow, and have people ask "what IS THAT you are wearing?", and I answer "I will not tell"...mostly because Horizon is discontinued and I want to ensure myself a healthy supply!!!!! Dont take my word for it, run out, and spray some on, I am most certainly sure you will buy it.

07 January, 2010

colormechris's avatar

Found this one on a deep discount. Liked it well enough. But now it's really grown on me. A lot of fragrances talk about "aquatic accords" but this one really delivers. A couple of hours into the drydown I can really smell the ocean. Almost taste the salt...like I've been swimming in the Atlantic all day. It's very pleasant. Upon first application, this one can be off putting because there's so much going on; but once it simmers down, it's quite captivating. It always conjures up images of old Japan for some reason. Can't wear it all the time though. Kind of an "i'm in the mood for" scent...semi-special occasions.

07 December, 2009

cheekyhamsta's avatar

A totally unique smell with a mesmerising aura. Once you’ve smelt this memorable scent it’s impossible to forget it or confuse it with anything else. I’ve been using it on and off since it was first released. I used to love to keep it in the ice box of my fridge and spray it on ice cold; the bottle’s appearance itself encourages this method of storage. Despite the blue colour of the bottle and box, it doesn’t smell very “blue” to me; perhaps “turquoise” would best match. It is a very individual take on herbal masculine scents IMO, being at once refreshingly cool, crisp & oceanic, and wonderfully warm, fruity and herbal. There is a lot going on here and it all works harmoniously: it really is intriguing and full of interesting juxtapositions. The warm herbal –fruity basenotes are strangely assertive and calming at the same time much like ocean waves breaking on a beach. They are evident right from the beginning and remain strong to the end, ensuring that this scent is penetrating and has astronomical sillage. Horizon has a timeless smell as it was and remains so unique and ahead of its time. It is also unmistakably masculine and sensual and would make an excellent signature fragrance whilst still available. However, this scent also falls into the love-it-or-revile-it category and is not recommended as a blind buy. I love it. All in all a true work of art and I’m dismayed that it is being discontinued.

01st December, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2010)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

With its medicinal, almost herbal minty opening I can see why this isn't exactly ringing the cash registers. And probably the reason for its discontinuation too for it simply lacks the pretty opening hook that floors most consumers and loosens their purse strings. A shame really as HORIZON gradually expands into a dark green, mildly aquatic hybrid that is bittersweet yet oddly refreshing, almost like a cool rainfall over a pine forest. Ruggedly masculine without any of Drakkar Noir's macho posturing, Horizon firmly underscores its potential as a cult favorite. Get it cheap while you still can, dudes.

22 October, 2009

Bigsly's avatar

I liked this at first, but since then I've come to dislike "marine" notes and lavender, and you will get a heavy dose of these two if you spray Horizon on you. Also, as Myohoman said, there is a "synthetic" quality that is unpleasant here, and I imagine if you spray more than once per wearing (I wouldn't ever think of doing so) you may find yourself fighting off a migraine. Longevity and sillage are excellent. Beyond these points, I probably shouldn't say more about Horizon, because I don't like aquatic fragrances and this could be a "bridge" fragrance for some, as they transition from their watery scents to more traditional "masculine" ones. I will mention that if I'm in the mood for a fragrance with more traditional masculine notes, I would much rather wear ones like Equipage or Vetiver de Puig, which are more natural and dynamic, as well as better balanced.

28 August, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

A great deal of affordable shape-shifting fun, that provides a perfect antidote to the modern anodyne mall offering one encounters on a daily basis. It pulls off the great trick in the opening of being both cool and warm simultaneously.The sensation is akin to having an allergic reaction but without the desire to abrade the surface of the skin. There is a beautiful sweet accord in the opening that is a fructose and pepper fusion. While this continues to evolve, it slowly and assuredly sheds its sweetness to become edgier, spicier and throughly entertaining. In its latter stages, it has great fun with the leather, adding a very masculine dimension to an already enjoyable melange. With decent sillage and longevity, this discontinued little diamond should be experienced before it disappears off the radar completely. .

04 July, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

Refreshing and different. It smells better in the dry down because its first impact is a little harsh and chemical smelling. Very long lasting. A rich, herbal and sweet bouquet. Don't buy it blind, but buy it cheap.

16 January, 2009