Negative Reviews of Horizon by Guy Laroche

From the design of the bottle, to the advertising campaign, I was thinking this was going to be very fresh, and maybe even similar to Davidoff's Cool Water.
It isn't.
Yes, there IS a watery note/vibe here. When smelling this, it first feels refreshing because it's like inhaling a watery mist. The problem for me though, is the prominent herbal medley of thyme, fennel and black pepper. It's a slight bit of freshness, and a whole lot of brittle dried goods. The latter is mostly what this fragrance is made of, and it's not something I would like to wear, or smell on others.
And I'm not against herbal-smelling fragrances. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany are both excellent. But this one, not so much.
This is very similar to Calvin Klein's Escape, except that one has no freshness or water aspect.
This is a unique composition but ultimately it's a dislike.
31st October, 2017
Maybe I'll grow to appreciate this one day but for now it reminds me of McDonald's bathroom soap, which is not a good thing. Disappointing blind buy after reading so many good reviews.
15th February, 2016 (last edited: 21st February, 2016)
Its easy to pick out the head notes of mandarin and salt, but after that things get a bit more tricky. Grapefruit - yes, but rose & jasmin, thyme & black pepper? All three pyramids I've copied out into my notes suggest different things in the heart phase, and while all of them contain some truths none of them can be relied on.

When wearing this it comes across to me as a salt fruity-aquatic, with pepper grapefruit and herbal overtones. It's spiny on the outside and soft in the centre where acrid and fluid textures meet.

The note pyramids come together again in the base to agree on moss patchouli and sandal. It takes only a short hour or two to go from mandarin to moss and leaves behind itself a coarse smelling mossy salt. (This is real oakmoss here in all its starkness.)
I'm not sure that chypre's a good base for an aquatic perfume, they aren't suited together despite the salty link.

What is certain is that it was released five years later than Cool Water. Horizon's form of aquatic genre, species - salt follows in a style that had run its course and, smelling a bit old and dated would within a year be blown away by CK One.

17th September, 2015

Gary F Show all reviews
Tries to be Too Many Things

Kind of fresh, kind of soapy, kind of spicy, kind of minty. Those are all things I enjoy, just not all in the same bottle. I don't hate it, but I don't really enjoy it either. Well worth the low price to try and learn from it though.

Pros: Unique
Cons: Stylistically all over the map

20th June, 2013
Important to note: This is not an acceptable scent for a blind purchase...
Based upon prior recommendations seen below I purchased a large lot of this scent. The headache from the synthetic notes was so intense I actually had to wash it off before full development.
Poor LaRoche, never have I had to do that before...and I was a great fan of Drakkar through the 80's/early 90's.
Try Before You Buy !!!!!