Reviews of Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Find out more about Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

With all the "artistic perfumery" expensive niche scents that I test every week, it's been a while the only surprises that still amaze and wow me regularly come from inexpensive, solid cheapos. Jaipur Homme is another example of this. I wore it quite a lot of times recently to make sure it was really that good as I thought almost instantly after the very first application: it is, indeed. Jaipur Homme is a magnificent, insanely refined scent, which really moves the boundaries of class and sophisticacy. Unique, elegant, addictive. Basically, it's a soft and radiant cloud of Oriental soapiness with sweet vanilla-almond hints, shades of talc, a lively and light bergamot/citrus accord at the very opening, and a beautiful heliotrope breeze providing a breath of nature, pollen, of spring warmth. The soapiness is not the "usual", synthetic soapiness many scents provide; it's true, foamy, opulent and rich soap, cozy and warm as a bath tub in winter time. Clean, rich, dandy, powdery and luscious, with a slight tobacco aftertaste. There's cleanliness and innocence, but view it from another perspective, and it's pure decadent dandiness, deceptively "white" and clean. A refined and relaxed marvel, perhaps too sweet for someone: to me it's one of the most sophisticated male perfumes ever made, which finally moves outside the usual territories of "austere virile masculinity". Boucheron and Annick Menardo did a great job in thinking other new ways to portrait modern masculine elegance – luminous and feminine, but also shady and eccentric. It quickly became my favourite "home fragrance" (which is the highest reward a fragrance can get from me). A must try for niche fans which identify quality with elitism and high prices.

19 August, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

ohhhh my my.... what a fragrance it is ... Beautiful Oriental... why ... i mean why i got this gem after discontinuation............Awesome work of a woman who knows what a man wants...............Bravo.

13 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

This suave, soft-textured oriental has long been one of my favorite designer fragrances. I enjoy the way it flirts with the licorice gourmand vibe of Body Kouros and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin without ever stumbling onto the dessert tray. I also love Annick Menardo’s bold use of heliotrope in Jaïpur Homme. Commandeering this traditionally “feminine” note in a scent for men is clever and quietly subversive, though only in its eau de parfum version does Jaïpur Homme pack enough spicy punch to fully offset the heliotrope’s fluffy texture. Some will find it too sweet, but for me Jaïpur Homme EdP is a gratifying embodiment of olfactory elegance.

18 June, 2014

rogalal's avatar

I ended up with two bottles of Jaipur Home, one EDT and one EDP, gifts from a friend who had grown tired of them. I tried the EDT first. From the first sniff, I assumed it was a 60's fragrance, a complex old-fashioned butterscotchy amber dusted with cinnamon and nutmeg and some aldehydes for sparkle, all mixed in with a traditional old-world fougere - lavender over coumarin with a touch of vanilla and poop. It's an awful lot going on, and some of it clashes (the pie spices with the lavender and aldehydes come off rather metallic and unbalanced).

Then, I saw that this is actually from 1997 and the Le Male influence immediately fell into place. The weird metallic lavender, the mix of vanilla and spermy coumarin, the whole "strange dirty" vibe. Jaipur Homme essentially puts the ideas of Le Male in a historical context, replacing Gaultier's loud sweet grape with amber elements to class it up. That being said, I still think it smells kind of messy and a bit gross.

Hoping that a different concentration would change things for me, I tried the EDP. It balances the topnotes more, giving more of a bergamot/lavender feel, with hints of fennel. It also changed the feel of the scent - while the EDT followed a natural progression, the higher concentration of the EDP brought the basenotes up in the mix, so the whole thing feels richer and fuller. Unfortunately, it also amplified the poop. With my apologies, there's a certain mix of lavender, powder, plasticky musk, and civet that ALWAYS smells like a diaper to me, and that diaper mix overtook everything else in the EDP and rendered it largely unwearable for me.

So, my verdict? EDT: interesting but flawed. Jumbled and kind of gross, though clearly well thought out. EDP: The same, but stronger and taking place next to a stinky baby.

30th April, 2014

DuNezDeBuzier's avatar

Boucheron Jaïpur Homme edp.

Quite the vanilla++ powdery oriental. Heliotrope in spades. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and the other notes support the vanilla rendering it quite a comfort and not a bit annoying, as it so often goes off and does with other vanilla-centric mixes. Jaïpur sits alongside my bottles of Opium pH edp, Envy, Heritage, and Carven Homme to give an idea of what I consider similar scents relative to weight, feel, and/or simply its general vibe. Jaïpur has above average longevity/sillage and can be cloying, so watch it. A couple sprays to the chest does me well unless I'm off to one of dem black tie affairs; then a couple to the neck or other exposed skin works just fine. Like many orientals, this is such a good comfort scent. I enjoy it mostly in the dry, deep winter months and it does a wonderful job of reminding me of my once-a-year jug of Oberweis egg nog... so rich, creamy, smooth, and yet not to be overdone. All serious hobbyists should get a nose on Jaipur. Perfect on a lady as well.

I'm 51, for reference. A few years back, my 50ml bottle cost around $35/oz.

Fin 2/11/14

12 February, 2014

Incomparable

Less girly than 'Eau Premiere' and way less feminine than 'Teint de Neige'. I sold my bottle of 'Eau Premiere' because I caught myself smelling like a chicken. I don't know why, but 'Eau Premiere' reminds me of chickens for some reason. On the other hand 'Teint de Neige' is so simplified that all I really get is loads and loads of powder. I was also in love with Etro's Heliotrope, but got bored of it fairly quickly.

Hence, Jaipur was the answer to my prayers. It meanders between powdery notes, floral notes and spices. I loathe the smell of spices and gourmands all together, so it came to me as a surprise how much I immediately liked it. Cinnamon is very prominent throughout the composition, but it does not bother me at all. As long as it is not vanilla. I like pure vanilla, but paradoxically can't stand it as a base note. Using vanilla as a base is a cheap trick to make the composition last longer. I much prefer the sandalwood or heliotrope as a support column.

I used two bottles of EdP ten years ago, then definitely switched to EdT, then we spent some time apart from each other, but now Jaipur EdT and I are finally reunited. It is without a doubt my favourite masculine fragrance and it looks like it is going to topple my beloved Fracas (W, EdP) from the throne.

I went to work this morning wearing four sprays and I can still smell it all around me, twelve hours later. It's amazingly soft and delicate, yet so persistent and tenacious.

At last I am happy.

Pros: I love everything about it
    Cons: Kind of smells like semi raw potatoes"

23 October, 2013

's avatar

good

One of the best Cinnamon perfume

09 October, 2013

GianniGG's avatar

Jaipur homme

If I should give you an image for Jaïpur: it would be an Indian barbershop. It opens with lemons then come cinnamon,benzoin, vanilla. The overall smells like a sweet and spicy cream shave. The fragrance is warm, elegant, classy and manish. I don't see teenagers wearing this. I think it suits fine to an elegant and classy man.

29 August, 2013

Bani Paul's avatar

India India

If I know something which can be called a barbershop experience,this is the product ,you should try.Good,stays long but not a bang for the buck.Rather try way cheap Old Spice,almost same.Seems it may also create skin problems,as it aways gives a burning sansation to my skin,whenever I apply.Try before you actually buy .

14 May, 2013

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

Awesome fragrance. Great spicy vanilla, a little bit powdery but perfectly balanced. Great lasting power and beautiful sillage.

14 May, 2013

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I own the edp. This one is a great sweet oriental fragrance, and if you are a little bit interested in perfumers and their works, it is impossible to miss that this is from Menardo in a few sniffs.

Get easy on the trigger since this is quite strong.

25 February, 2013

Marais's avatar

A spicy vanilla. Imagine garam masala added to crème brûlée. Sounds awful? Well it isn't! It avoids smelling like an Indian dessert as it isn't overly sweet. Moreover, it lasts all day and has good sillage. It fair spanks the pimply botty of all those overpriced girly niche vanillas. {Review of EdP}

19 February, 2013

NenMaster's avatar

Smells amazing this, have to spray a lot on me to get a cloud around me. Smell your shirt the next day its even better.

26 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

One of the best oriental entire market! Its output can be very dusty and feminine, but if you give him time, enjoy a glorious drying. That's when I like and when I can not stop smelling it.

22 December, 2012

jimmysmellworld's avatar

Fantastic oriental vanilla based fragrance. Not very complex and quite linear; the initial notes are the whole journey, but thankfully vanilla is the best available at this price point while the longevity of both concentrations is very good. Gives an aura of warmth and opulence. Obvious similarities to the classic Givenchy Pi are there, but the Boucheron is the superior potion.

12 November, 2012

's avatar

Classic. Classic french oriental. Sweet and elegant, that's a must have for oriental lovers. Suitable for colder days or nights. It remembers YSL Opium but not as spicy.
    Great lasting power and projection.

30th October, 2012

PeteH's avatar

I own the EDT and the EDP of Jaipur Homme. Both are powdery, spicy orientals, but the EDP has a huge amount of extra oomph, and I prefer it.

Both strengths last all day. Both finish in a sweet, powdery/woody base, but with the EDP one can still discern all the spices quite clearly, even after 12 hours. Even the next day. Even when ironing the collar of the shirt I wore a week ago, despite a thorough laundering. Yum.

One word of caution - Jaipur is perhaps the most skin-irritating fragrance I have ever worn. Personally, it burns for about 2 minutes, and stings for a few longer. It's totally worth the temporary pain, but if you have very sensitive skin, I'd restrict myself to spraying it on fabric. Which it will stain yellow. Well, things of great beauty are often difficult to live with...

14 October, 2012

pianist75's avatar

AFTER BLACK AOUD -MONTALE AND OPIUM EDP FOR MAN this is my fav frag of all times, can you believe that i can smell it very strong even after 24 hours ? I'm not exaggerating at all. i swear!! and boy its strong and tenacious !!! not to mention the quality of ingredients here boucheron uses for creating this frag for GODS!! buy it while still exist...very hard to find:((

05 October, 2012

TheFashionBugs's avatar

I love this scent. Very clean, Summery and manly. Even Jack Kerouac would have worn it!

19 July, 2012

Francolino's avatar

after reformulation, not quite round and rich as before..powdery vanilla and some woods

26 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2014)

Transmeta's avatar

Very pleasant vanilla fragrance. Something I might want to wear on a date to a nice coffeeshop filled with aromas of cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate etc.

14 June, 2012

Elzéard's avatar

Collectedly sweet, but never overly so. In fact, it is utterly brilliant. It does share similarities wth Pi, but in my opinion, Jaïpur is far better.

12 June, 2012

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

An Olfactory Coronation befitting a Young King - Perfect both in blend and in ingridients.
    Luxuriously evocative masterpiece which exudes pure class, Annick Menardo's best work till date.

22 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

Notes from Boucheron site: Lemon, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Heliotrope, Wood, Vanilla

Jaipur is a great spicy oriental sharing more than one similiarity with both Shalimar and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin but while the former turns into a dominant vanilla drydown and the latter surely exceeds in the gourmandic aspect, Jaipur is perfectly balanced by the clever use of heliotrope. A rich citrus-bergamot opening with cinnamon, nutmeg and heliotrope playing a remarkable role. In the drydown it turns delightfully powdery and woody with a consistent dose of vanilla that's perfectly balanced and orchestrated to never become overwhelming or even too dominant. Very rich, tremendously long lasting and even a bit loud but masterfully executed. A favourite.

Sample first, not for everybody.

Rating: 8/10 (edt)
    8.5/10 (edp)

07 May, 2012

casanova's avatar

spicy, erotic aphrodisiac.
    Women love this perfume.
    pure seduction.

10th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2012)

MonkeyBars's avatar

Certainly not the manliest fragrance ever created, this throwback to the heavy 80s orientals like Opium and Obsession pour Homme avoids being overly sweet due to the clever addition of vetiver and dry woods to balance the otherwise powdery spice. The florals are suitably restrained. Not really my scene -- you won't smell it on me in public -- but ya can't deny its class.

09 March, 2012

Zut's avatar

My first introduction to Jaïpur was with the lighter version (eau de fraîcheur, if I am not mistaken). I bought it right away because it was so fabulous on the blotter. Unfortunaltely, it was much too light for me and the 100 ml bottle lasted only a few weeks because I had to reapply constantly. So, I bought Jaïpur in the EDP concentration and I simply adored it. However, the longevity was ridiculously short for an EDP. The saleslady who sold it to me could not believe it since most of her customers thought the EDT was almost too strong for daytime use. The next week, I put some on and went back to the store just before it closed so she could see for herself. She told me that it was very subtle but she could smell a hint of it if she put her nose in my neck. She said that since it was 6 pm, an 8-hour longevity was more than acceptable. She almost fainted when I told her I applied it about an hour and a half before I came! Anyway, this was about 7 years ago and I am ready to give Jaïpur another chance.

30th November, 2011

Paninaro's avatar

Serbia Serbia

So smooth... Labeling Jaipur as an "old lady" or "not enough manly" scent is at least superficial, not to say - wrong IMHO. This is the scent for THE man.

Jaipur is an extraordinary choice for all (both business and casual) occasions where you need luxurious, warm, hedonist, exotic, romantic... aura. More clean than Opium, more smooth than Pasha.

Truly oriental. Long lasting and optimum sillage. Not for younger crowd, definitely.

18 November, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Jaipur has a spicy opening where cardamom and cinnamon are the main players.

Through time these notes fade away a little bit giving space to a chord between benzoin and tonka bean. A very good fragrance that even launched in 97, remains better than a lot of things today.

17 October, 2011

OmerPervaiz's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

A great soft, calm, smooth and powdery perfume made for romantic mood and intimate momments. Truly a classic fragrance by home of Boucheron. I really like it.
    Sillage and Longevity is great.
    Highly complimented by everyone.
    I give it healthy 9 out of 10.

05 August, 2011