Positive Reviews of Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Find out more about Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

DuNezDeBuzier's avatar
    DuNezDeBuzier

Boucheron Jaïpur Homme edp.

Quite the vanilla++ powdery oriental. Heliotrope in spades. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and the other notes support the vanilla rendering it quite a comfort and not a bit annoying, as it so often goes off and does with other vanilla-centric mixes. Jaïpur sits alongside my bottles of Opium pH edp, Envy, Heritage, and Carven Homme to give an idea of what I consider similar scents relative to weight, feel, and/or simply its general vibe. Jaïpur has above average longevity/sillage and can be cloying, so watch it. A couple sprays to the chest does me well unless I'm off to one of dem black tie affairs; then a couple to the neck or other exposed skin works just fine. Like many orientals, this is such a good comfort scent. I enjoy it mostly in the dry, deep winter months and it does a wonderful job of reminding me of my once-a-year jug of Oberweis egg nog... so rich, creamy, smooth, and yet not to be overdone. All serious hobbyists should get a nose on Jaipur. Perfect on a lady as well.

I'm 51, for reference. A few years back, my 50ml bottle cost around $35/oz.

Fin 2/11/14

12 February, 2014

Incomparable

Less girly than 'Eau Premiere' and way less feminine than 'Teint de Neige'. I sold my bottle of 'Eau Premiere' because I caught myself smelling like a chicken. I don't know why, but 'Eau Premiere' reminds me of chickens for some reason. On the other hand 'Teint de Neige' is so simplified that all I really get is loads and loads of powder. I was also in love with Etro's Heliotrope, but got bored of it fairly quickly.

Hence, Jaipur was the answer to my prayers. It meanders between powdery notes, floral notes and spices. I loathe the smell of spices and gourmands all together, so it came to me as a surprise how much I immediately liked it. Cinnamon is very prominent throughout the composition, but it does not bother me at all. As long as it is not vanilla. I like pure vanilla, but paradoxically can't stand it as a base note. Using vanilla as a base is a cheap trick to make the composition last longer. I much prefer the sandalwood or heliotrope as a support column.

I used two bottles of EdP ten years ago, then definitely switched to EdT, then we spent some time apart from each other, but now Jaipur EdT and I are finally reunited. It is without a doubt my favourite masculine fragrance and it looks like it is going to topple my beloved Fracas (W, EdP) from the throne.

I went to work this morning wearing four sprays and I can still smell it all around me, twelve hours later. It's amazingly soft and delicate, yet so persistent and tenacious.

At last I am happy.

Pros: I love everything about it
    Cons: Kind of smells like semi raw potatoes"

23 October, 2013

's avatar

good

One of the best Cinnamon perfume

09 October, 2013

GianniGG's avatar
    GianniGG

Jaipur homme

If I should give you an image for Jaïpur: it would be an Indian barbershop. It opens with lemons then come cinnamon,benzoin, vanilla. The overall smells like a sweet and spicy cream shave. The fragrance is warm, elegant, classy and manish. I don't see teenagers wearing this. I think it suits fine to an elegant and classy man.

29 August, 2013

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

Superb

Every time I see the word Oriental in a fragrance, don't get any oriental thing until I smelled this wonderful and exquisite fragrance. Wow. Really oriental, spicy, full of mistery. In my case, I can only wear one spray because if I wear more than that, I become what we call in spanish "empalagado", that is, to be too full of something delicious, so the only way, as I said, in my case, is to wear only one spray. When I do so, I can smell it the whole day and enjoy every single part of it. Wonderful.

22 June, 2013 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2014)

Postumo's avatar
    Postumo
    Spain Spain

Awesome fragrance. Great spicy vanilla, a little bit powdery but perfectly balanced. Great lasting power and beautiful sillage.

14 May, 2013

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

I own the edp. This one is a great sweet oriental fragrance, and if you are a little bit interested in perfumers and their works, it is impossible to miss that this is from Menardo in a few sniffs.

Get easy on the trigger since this is quite strong.

25 February, 2013

Marais's avatar
    Marais

A spicy vanilla. Imagine garam masala added to crème brûlée. Sounds awful? Well it isn't! It avoids smelling like an Indian dessert as it isn't overly sweet. Moreover, it lasts all day and has good sillage. It fair spanks the pimply botty of all those overpriced girly niche vanillas. {Review of EdP}

19 February, 2013

NenMaster's avatar
    NenMaster

Smells amazing this, have to spray a lot on me to get a cloud around me. Smell your shirt the next day its even better.

26 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar
    Mandrake
    Venezuela Venezuela

One of the best oriental entire market! Its output can be very dusty and feminine, but if you give him time, enjoy a glorious drying. That's when I like and when I can not stop smelling it.

22 December, 2012

jimmysmellworld's avatar
    jimmysmellworld

Fantastic oriental vanilla based fragrance. Not very complex and quite linear; the initial notes are the whole journey, but thankfully vanilla is the best available at this price point while the longevity of both concentrations is very good. Gives an aura of warmth and opulence. Obvious similarities to the classic Givenchy Pi are there, but the Boucheron is the superior potion.

12 November, 2012

's avatar

Classic. Classic french oriental. Sweet and elegant, that's a must have for oriental lovers. Suitable for colder days or nights. It remembers YSL Opium but not as spicy.
    Great lasting power and projection.

30th October, 2012

PeteH's avatar
    PeteH

I own the EDT and the EDP of Jaipur Homme. Both are powdery, spicy orientals, but the EDP has a huge amount of extra oomph, and I prefer it.

Both strengths last all day. Both finish in a sweet, powdery/woody base, but with the EDP one can still discern all the spices quite clearly, even after 12 hours. Even the next day. Even when ironing the collar of the shirt I wore a week ago, despite a thorough laundering. Yum.

One word of caution - Jaipur is perhaps the most skin-irritating fragrance I have ever worn. Personally, it burns for about 2 minutes, and stings for a few longer. It's totally worth the temporary pain, but if you have very sensitive skin, I'd restrict myself to spraying it on fabric. Which it will stain yellow. Well, things of great beauty are often difficult to live with...

14 October, 2012

pianist75's avatar
    pianist75

AFTER BLACK AOUD -MONTALE AND OPIUM EDP FOR MAN this is my fav frag of all times, can you believe that i can smell it very strong even after 24 hours ? I'm not exaggerating at all. i swear!! and boy its strong and tenacious !!! not to mention the quality of ingredients here boucheron uses for creating this frag for GODS!! buy it while still exist...very hard to find:((

05 October, 2012

TheFashionBugs's avatar
    TheFashionBugs

I love this scent. Very clean, Summery and manly. Even Jack Kerouac would have worn it!

19 July, 2012

Transmeta's avatar
    Transmeta

Very pleasant vanilla fragrance. Something I might want to wear on a date to a nice coffeeshop filled with aromas of cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate etc.

14 June, 2012

Elzéard's avatar
    Elzéard

Collectedly sweet, but never overly so. In fact, it is utterly brilliant. It does share similarities wth Pi, but in my opinion, Jaïpur is far better.

12 June, 2012

benzganesh's avatar
    benzganesh
    Malaysia Malaysia

An Olfactory Coronation befitting a Young King - Perfect both in blend and in ingridients.
    Luxuriously evocative masterpiece which exudes pure class, Annick Menardo's best work till date.

22 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2012)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Notes from Boucheron site: Lemon, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Heliotrope, Wood, Vanilla

Jaipur is a great spicy oriental sharing more than one similiarity with both Shalimar and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin but while the former turns into a dominant vanilla drydown and the latter surely exceeds in the gourmandic aspect, Jaipur is perfectly balanced by the clever use of heliotrope. A rich citrus-bergamot opening with cinnamon, nutmeg and heliotrope playing a remarkable role. In the drydown it turns delightfully powdery and woody with a consistent dose of vanilla that's perfectly balanced and orchestrated to never become overwhelming or even too dominant. Very rich, tremendously long lasting and even a bit loud but masterfully executed. A favourite.

Sample first, not for everybody.

Rating: 8/10 (edt)
    8.5/10 (edp)

07 May, 2012

casanova's avatar
    casanova

spicy, erotic aphrodisiac.
    Women love this perfume.
    pure seduction.

10th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2012)

MonkeyBars's avatar
    MonkeyBars

Certainly not the manliest fragrance ever created, this throwback to the heavy 80s orientals like Opium and Obsession pour Homme avoids being overly sweet due to the clever addition of vetiver and dry woods to balance the otherwise powdery spice. The florals are suitably restrained. Not really my scene -- you won't smell it on me in public -- but ya can't deny its class.

09 March, 2012

Zut's avatar
    Zut

My first introduction to Jaïpur was with the lighter version (eau de fraîcheur, if I am not mistaken). I bought it right away because it was so fabulous on the blotter. Unfortunaltely, it was much too light for me and the 100 ml bottle lasted only a few weeks because I had to reapply constantly. So, I bought Jaïpur in the EDP concentration and I simply adored it. However, the longevity was ridiculously short for an EDP. The saleslady who sold it to me could not believe it since most of her customers thought the EDT was almost too strong for daytime use. The next week, I put some on and went back to the store just before it closed so she could see for herself. She told me that it was very subtle but she could smell a hint of it if she put her nose in my neck. She said that since it was 6 pm, an 8-hour longevity was more than acceptable. She almost fainted when I told her I applied it about an hour and a half before I came! Anyway, this was about 7 years ago and I am ready to give Jaïpur another chance.

30th November, 2011

Paninaro's avatar
    Paninaro
    Serbia Serbia

So smooth... Labeling Jaipur as an "old lady" or "not enough manly" scent is at least superficial, not to say - wrong IMHO. This is the scent for THE man.

Jaipur is an extraordinary choice for all (both business and casual) occasions where you need luxurious, warm, hedonist, exotic, romantic... aura. More clean than Opium, more smooth than Pasha.

Truly oriental. Long lasting and optimum sillage. Not for younger crowd, definitely.

18 November, 2011

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Jaipur has a spicy opening where cardamom and cinnamon are the main players.

Through time these notes fade away a little bit giving space to a chord between benzoin and tonka bean. A very good fragrance that even launched in 97, remains better than a lot of things today.

17 October, 2011

OmerPervaiz's avatar
    OmerPervaiz
    Pakistan Pakistan

A great soft, calm, smooth and powdery perfume made for romantic mood and intimate momments. Truly a classic fragrance by home of Boucheron. I really like it.
    Sillage and Longevity is great.
    Highly complimented by everyone.
    I give it healthy 9 out of 10.

05 August, 2011

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

-One of the best male orientals on the market! A classy attention-grabber.

29 July, 2011

GoldenKiwi's avatar
    GoldenKiwi

The greatest men's perfume I have come across so far, but that is a subjective thing to say. A surprising, lusciously oriental, gentlemanly, classy fragrance with exceptional longevity and superb sillage. When on the lookout for new scents, and my nose is numbed by too many testers, I grab this one and still it outshines the rest. Must be used very sparingly (one spray on the chest, one on pulse points at the most) as it is very intense.

I have found that Prada's Amber Pour Homme is an ideal work environment counterpart, as it sticks more to the skin and lacks the lavishness of the spice in Jaipur Homme. Also lacks the longevity (4 to 7 hours tops versus Jaipur's 24 hour-power).

22 March, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Talky-sharp, minty, softly spicy and with a minimal touch of cream and controlled sugar. One of the most refined oriental concoctions out there, a fragrance that, far from screaming brash richness, whispers subtle refinement and business elegance. This is not an heavyweight of creamy mellifluence, it's instead a well balanced piece of olfactory creativity which i prefer for a business event than for a free night out. I like the edt better than the edp being the latter less balanced in the execution in order to rise up the mellow/soapy/oriental elements. Jaipur, passed away the first citrusy refined blast, performs an initial talky mild stage because of a great usage of the dusty and powdery heliotrope (the key note). Since the beginning the sweetness is moderate and the balance is severe. The main rule is a severe balance from the top to the bottom so that the balsams/resins usage (vanilla and amber) of the heart is smooth and light and its weight is tempered by the suavity of a dreamy rose-jasmine and by the moderate addition of nutmeg and cinnamon plus a touch of mint while the base doesn't mention milky-balmy notes in dominant amount (just a touch of benzoin) being structured by tonka and cloves which provide a bitter-sweet touch with the undertone of tobacco. The outcome is a masterpiece of superb olfactory art.

08 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2014)

SirScent's avatar
    SirScent

The Perfume Version:
    My previous post was for the EDT version.
    However, I just purchased the Perfume version and it is completely different.
    I get vanilla and a very fine balance of ingredients.
    it is rich and wonderful. The lurking, clioying powder in the EDT I had is not evident in the perfume version.
    I highly recommend if you purchase Jaipur, pay a bit more for the men's perfume and skip the EDT. Who would have thought the perfume would be more masculine smelling than the EDT?

The EDT Version. (maybe I got a bad bottle???)
    Obviously, this is a well made and beautiful fragrance.
    Strong longevity and a sweet powder of perfumey vanilla.
    However, I had to keep checking the bottle to be sure I had purchased the men's version.

While Boucheron Pour Homme can pull off being a masculine frag
    Jaipur does not, at least for me.
    Bless those of the male gender who can pull this off.
    I sure couldn't.

PS- I imagine that this is what Robert Prestons character (Toddy) was wearing in the Film "Victor, Victoria" when he was demonstrating to Julie Andrews character (Victoria) on how to move. "Now, when you're dancing, remember,make it broader, with tons of shoulder. Remember, you're a drag queen!"

01st February, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Jaïpur Pour Homme EDP manages to overcome my natural tendency to avoid vanilla-based scents, by the simple trick of not being heavy. This is presumably due to the usage of heliotrope rather than mimicking a bakery-quality vanilla extract (see Royal Secret For Men as a reference example of the latter). There is a powder aspect as some have mentioned but I believe it is quite tempered by the mild spices. Unlike many oriental fragrances that list to either the spice side or the sweet side,Jaïpur navigates the line beautifully like the tandem of piano and vibes in jazz when perfectly synchronized. "Restraint" is a word that comes to mind.

Fittingly for a French joaillerie, Boucheron's Jaïpur is a jewel, from it's lovely blue-capped bottle to the fragrant concoction within. It's a unique member of the masculine fragrance community: flirting with feminine conventions without ever crossing over; it's no Eddie Izzard of the fragrance world. While I can envision an adventuresome woman pulling this off with aplomb, I hesitate to call it unisex. Refined and classy, yes.

True to its oriental genus, Jaïpur has fine longevity and well-judged sillage. Where it truly excels, however, is in its evolution; where many scents peter out as the day wears on, Boucheron's creation manages to get better with age. Some perfumes peak at the hour mark. Jaïpur smells better after eleven hours than it did at five. Applied with a deft touch, this fragrance instantly improves any man's arsenal.

19 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)