Negative Reviews of Joop! Homme by Joop!

Find out more about Joop! Homme by Joop! in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Some substances, most notably antifreeze, are at once sweet and toxic. Joop! Homme is one of these. There’s a list of appealing notes in the Joop! Homme pyramid, but I smell no analogs of anything natural in this scent. If someone proposed Joop! Homme’s formula for a toilet bowl cleaner, I might give it a second sniff, but I’d sooner live with a dirty toilet than smell like this in public.

Tell me, how does something like this get made? Why do morbidly obese men wear sheer Speedos?? Who thought the leisure suit was a good idea???

19 June, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

I bought this cologne because I knew it was popular and I had yet to try it.. But wow, maybe im missing something because this stuff is just way too sweet and way to strong and thats only with 1 spray ! My girlfriend even said it smelled like old lady perfume and asked that I never wear it... Ill keep it for my collection but im NEVER going to be wearing this again

Only good thing I can say from the 1 time Ive worn this is it projects like a beast and lasts a long time so if it does mesh well with your skin chemistry it will be worth the price

18 January, 2014

noideawhatimsaying's avatar

A blast of sweet cherry strawberries that is intoxicating, and in a bad way.

20th April, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

One of the biggest bombs in terms of projection and durability that we can find in the designer market. Yes sir! If you want a sweet fragrance genetically manipulated that excel in nightlife settings, little massified ... it's your choice. I used it until I had a bad experience.

18 January, 2013

Márcio's avatar

Brazil Brazil

The worst fragrance ever! I can´t understand why someone would like to smell like this...

20th November, 2012

ferdinand_the_imposter's avatar

Sickly sweet.

If children wore perfume, this is what they'd wear.

1 All taste is personal.
    2. Smell is probably the most subjective of all five senses.
    3. Try before you buy. (On paper first, then skin.)

10th October, 2012

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

The most amazing fact about this fragrance is that it actually got made, marketed, sold and that it continues to sell!

It's so flowery, fruity, spicy and candy-like that my head just about rotates 360 degrees. Undescribable. Strange thing, I kind of like the smell of Joop as a thing in itself, but I wouldn't dream of wearing it. I'd feel like an idiot.

29 August, 2012

AndiS's avatar

Somebody thought ladies might like it, but no. I'm a lady and I pronounce catastrophically repulsive.

22 May, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Wear this if you want to smell like a bottle of Rubitussin cough syrup.

10th May, 2012

drakecito's avatar

Spain Spain

Terrible, horrible.
    Do not understand how anyone can want to smell like this...
    This is not cool, its disgusting.

03 April, 2012

colormechris's avatar

I have only one good association with Joop! (make that Joop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Pour Homme. And that's because I really liked the guy who wore it, and he didn't bathe in it. That was way back in 1992. Is this now considered a classic? Please, just because it's strong and unmistakable and still around doesn't mean it's a classic. Pine-Sol is all those things too and I wouldn't wear it.
    J!PH smells to me as though someone accidentally dropped a gallon of Hawaiian Punch syrup on a freshly tarred road in late August. I find it one note. One GIGANTiC note that never ends. I sprayed one squirt on the back of my hand two hours ago and it's still going strong. My head is swimming. It's like I'm being gassed by a giant tropical fruit eating skunk. I've given Joop! several chances over the years and tonight was the last one. It's simply ghastly. Now pardon me, I have to go and take a shower.

16 February, 2012

Wedunit_Jewels's avatar

This one makes me physically sick and I don't say that about a lot of fragrances. I am very glad you smell it less and less these days.

22 January, 2012

drseid's avatar

One of the worst scents I have ever smelled. Sickeningly sweet and frequently over applied. This one should be thrown in the rubbish bin on sight... Disgusting! 1 out 5 stars.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I just hate this fragrance, it gives me headache every time I smell it. A VERY sweet scent that projects and lasts forever!! Can only be used at cold weather, otherwise you will choke you and people around you.

21st August, 2011

jcastano's avatar

No thank you! This stuff is not that bad but by no means is it good. It's an overly sweet cotton candy cinnamon concoction that even the likes of me can't tolerate. What's worse is that my dad loves and wears this religiously! The bottle, the pink juice, and the smell is far too overwhemling for my nose. I can't imagine how people felt back in 1989 when it was released. It must've been like The War Of The Worlds radio broadcast in 1938 that had many scattering about in panic and sheer dismay, except everyone back in '89 was male and running out of their local department stores! I will say that Joop is ballsy and has no respect for anything in its presence. Imagine an 80's powerhouse fragrance that is ridiculously sweet instead of the green or the woody! Yup! Joop is a beast! I'll even go as far as saying that it was the prototype to the gourmand genre. Without this unapologetic creation, there would be no basis for the creation or comparison of any other kind of fragrance in that same vein so I suppose even though I can't bare Joop, I'm entitled to give it that much credit. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise? Regardless, it's not for me and I don't think I'll be coming around any time soon. My final Rating C-

16 April, 2011

bellaviola's avatar

Oh, no. No no no no.
    Oh my.
    Just can't even almost like this one. No no no. Like really unpleasant women's perfume.
    Oh no.
    I respect the brave men who wear this, but oh no. No no no.

08 May, 2010

m.francisco's avatar

Because so many colognes fall in the gray area of "inoffensive but not wonderful", I give Joop! credit for being so obnoxious, despite the fact that it's obnoxiously bad. I've tried it multiple times, and each time had me questioning, "what was I thinking when I put this awful stuff on my skin?". The most recent (and hopefully last) time I put the stuff on, I tried scrubbing it off minutes later to no avail, which I suppose speaks wonders about it's longevity. Joop! is, of course, a very sweet and in no way masculine smell. It is also not feminine whatsoever, it simply falls outside of the spectrum of smells I would associate with a human being. Perhaps it's a great scent for a candy, but god knows it isn't for me. Musk, vetiver, cinnamon? I smell none of these things. It's dry down is significantly better than the blatantly offensive opening, but not enough to make this something I would ever want to wear.

14 April, 2010

Kerosene's avatar

This fragrance is one of the few that makes me wretch. Dont know if it's that candy opening, but ugh, don't get the attraction to this one.

15 March, 2010

sean-dt's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This is probably the worst stench I have ever come across. Cheap rubbery powder. I can't imagine how anyone actually came up with this vile filth.

10th February, 2010

poppacooter's avatar

absolutely awful for a man or a woman, too strong, headache inducing, glad i tested it before i made a blind purchase.

28 January, 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar

too synthetic and doesnt remind me of actual men's fragrance. It's way too strong, too much sillage and too sugary and sweet.

22 January, 2010

cheekyhamsta's avatar

I knew something funny was going on when I was shopping in Selfridges in London in the early 1990s and noticed that a group of 5 youths made a beeline for this perfume and each bought it, totally ignoring all other fragrances on sale. I still associate this sweet & medicinal scent with aesthetically-challenged (‘ugly’ to you and me) blokes “on the pull” in London, hoping that women in nightclubs would fall for their fragrance alone. This alone put me off Joop! Homme for many years. Moreover, I used to imagine that this would be Borat's signature scent. Invariably the smell was overwhelming – IMO one spritz is ok, two is optimal, three you are pushing your luck, four is plain irresponsible, five and you deserve a rabbit punch on the nose. Recently though, I’ve began to appreciate the qualities of this scent. Yes, despite its potentially room-clearing sillage, women do generally like it. It is also excellent value for money as the smell lasts unbelievably long even with minimal application. Ultimately though I would never buy it due to its overexposure, such that everyone – even your 90 year old granny - will know the name of what you are wearing without you needing to tell them.

11th December, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

glaciers's avatar

Overpoweringly feminine. Sickeningly sweet, and has no character at all. Smells like a cheap alcoholic drink mixed with some rubber.

11th November, 2009

The Ghost's avatar

France France

I wonder why guys wearing it never question WHY a lot of women love it. I'm horrified about how many dudes actually tell me it's one of their favourites scents, to me it's just feminine all the way.

13 October, 2009

Mapletop's avatar

Cinnamon and vanilla and some spice to make you sneeze and give you a headache. I was onced told by a female that she went crazy for this stuff. No thanks! Theres too much of a synthetic confusion. Smells like my sisters makeup/perfume bag 15 years ago.

21st August, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

An astonishingly potent and saccherine fragrance that is one of the easiest to discern in any crowd. It's about as subtle as a rugby club stag party, and lacks any intricacy, nuance or finesse. This Hiroshima grade candied cinnamon is quite something to behold, and it dominates to a degree that makes Joop Homme a hostile piece of apparatus to engage. Use this fragrance as Ground Zero, and quickly realise that anything else is an improvement.

27 July, 2009

Vladdypwnz's avatar

I have to admit I didn't believe it when I read the review that mentioned a urinal. Well, how interesting. It smells like flaming rubber, in the midst of candy syrup, all in a urinal. It smells interesting about 1/2 of a breath in but then overpowers the senses afterwards. Absolutely dreadful. Please don't over-apply!

24 July, 2009

dreese's avatar

This is just a flowery mess. The urinal cake reference was right on, except with an added note of cherry Vicks cough drops mixed in as well.

03 June, 2009

yNNhoJ's avatar

I have had a bottle of this filth for like 3 years and every time i feel like laughing i just take a wiff of it. Most repulsive cologne i have ever smelled and do not have the slightest idea of why anybody would enjoy putting this on their body. Armani Code is where its at!

22 May, 2009

rinosaur's avatar

Take the horrid opening of Versace The Dreamer and make it permanent: thats Joop! Homme. Dreamer atleast dries down to something more plesant, this does not. The fragrance is as kiddy and dumb as its name suggests, what a joke.

20th May, 2009