Reviews of Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Find out more about Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Darvant's avatar

Jovan Musk is a dignified fresh aromatic musk with a bunch of diverse floral vegetal nuances and a general widespread musky-balmy soapiness. Lemon, lavender and carnation provide by soon a really classic fougere aromaric vibe, spices and probably ylang-ylang imprint a really pleasant exotic twist while woods flank the main note (musk) in order to provide more structure and a typically woody undertone. Unfortunately the aroma smells a bit too much synthetic on my skin along the dry down. Jovan Musk smells anyway fresh, musky and spicy and could be a classic alternative for all the musk addicted which prefer lighter airy white musks over the dark animalic ones and are on a little budget.

23 September, 2014

encarnacion2's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

similar to Diesel zero plus at top note
    No overpower but with good sillage
    good long-lasting
    a little bit soapy (typical in 70s fragrances talcy or soapy)
    Good fragrance masculine and sexy

09 February, 2014

cologne65's avatar

jovan musk cologne for men is a very subtle fragrance. there is a nice fragrance to it but not very strong and does not last long when wearing it. still a classic of the drugstore brands but not as strong or good as english leather or british sterling.

06 January, 2014

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Great old scent that is rather linear.

Sure it does not mature, have a varied nuance or "evolve" but it reminds you of what "old school" scent is all about.

I pair it with Agua Lavanda body wash and I smell like I just stepped out of a great old barbershop.

Smells the same as it did back in the 70's when I was a child.

01st April, 2013

Bobster's avatar

There is no doubt that this was king back in it's day but for now I just could not pull this off. When I tested this It felt like I was rolling around in a pit of mothballs and flowers. I dare not speak anything againstit though because 1. It's still on the shelves 2. Longevity is Amazing 3. It projects like a beast 4. It's a classic. What's more to say?

10th March, 2013

Quartz's avatar

Sure, it's a bit dated but it still smells OK. It has no staying power on my skin unless I really load it on. A classic kind of scent in the Brut category. A good choice for very casual wear.

27 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

C'mon folks. Out of all the basenoters on this website, everyone is acting like they never wore or liked Jovan Musk. This is one of those that started it all for a lot of us (Unless you are 65 years or older). Old school scent that was strong and kind of cloying at first.

You have to realize that a lot of the scents that are out today were inspired by brilliant perfumers who probably wore this stuff. I'm giving this a thumbs up for being a pioneer.

05 November, 2012

Excellent959's avatar

Went to Walmart and came by this thing, most horrific fragrance I ever came across. Smells cheap and at best outdated. There's no way a guy can wear this and liking it. Not worth going into detail, when you see this, run and don't even think of punishing the world of wearing this. Wear it on a date, if you don't want to see the person ever again.

26 September, 2012

Zut's avatar

Some inexpensive fragrances can be very pleasant. Not Jovan Musk for Men. This drugstore fragrance is cheap and it smells cheap. Back in the mid 70's, synthetic white musk was all the rage. It was everywhere (in deodorants, soaps, shampoos, room fresheners, etc.). I hated it and I still do. As a matter of fact, it think white musk and anything smelling like Johnson's baby powder should be outlawed. JMFM may have other notes but white musk overpowers everything else. Truly repulsive skunk juice. I haven't smelled it lately. Thank God!

30th August, 2012

cocaineexpress's avatar

I would describe the smell as dirty soap. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't project very well and it's doesn't smell good enough to be worth wearing.

26 August, 2012

studer's avatar

Mans splash. Strong at first and then dries down to a nice smell. Not the cheapest drugstore scents. For me out of the cheaper scents this one is the best. I love to splash this on right before bed. It just gives me a peacefull easy sleep feeling. I can assure you this wont be a hit for the younger ladies at least not for most, but its a good refreshing feeling to the face after a shave or before bed.

12 August, 2012

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Not at all complicated. The top is a bit sharp, as it should be with a cologne. After the first seconds is mellows down to a fresh, slightly adstringent fruity smell without any sweetness. The heart lingers for hours between that fruit and a very dry musk, eventually dries down to wood and musk. Ever it is soft and humble, no offenses. Even in the heat of strong bodyly engagement it remains a shy dry compagnion.

If it wasn't that cheap and some parts of it were a tad more complex - it would be totally different. I'm indifferent whether or not this simplicity is some kind of art. I like it more the more often I use it! One of the best casuals I know, ideal for tennis, Chandler Burr!

25 March, 2011

Abs's avatar

I remember liking this, but can't remember what it smells like. One of the first "grown up" scents that anyone ever bought for me as a kid. I may have to go find some and spray it on just to see if it still works for me :)

28 January, 2011

man114's avatar

It smells like soap.

I put it on this afternoon for the heck of it havning never tried to wear it but having picked up a gift set for a few bucks.

It smells exactly like bar soap. I noticed very little progression throughout wearing it. Only it was much more astringent when you first put it on. The progression would be akin to putting the bar of soap up to your nose than slowly moving it away.

At the end of the road (I must note I've had other cheapy cologne last much longer), it smells somewhat softer.

I wouldn't call it good but its not bad. Having worn their more modern (and discontinued) Hot Bod Musk a few times lately, I think the softer Hot Bod Musk is more enjoyable, complex and smoother.

27 January, 2011

ViViD's avatar

Japan Japan

I use this cologne very often. It has a pretty nice smell. When first applied, it is strong and spicy, but after a while it becomes a nice sweet musk. It has good lasting power too. The sillage and projection don't seem to be great, but the longevity makes up for it. I wear it a few times a week and it never stops amazing me. Also, the price is wonderful. I will keep buying this.

16 November, 2010

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Classic musk fragrance for men; initially a bit synthetic and chemical but after an hour or so turns into a pleasant long lasting companion for the rest of your day...thumbs up

24 September, 2010

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

none of the drugstore musks work for me including this one. i expect musk to kinda stink and this one doesn't. well at least not in the way i want it too. none stinky musk + toothpastey note = room spray for me.

19 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

It takes about a half hour for Jovan Musk for Men to be tolerable. The top notes are pretty bad, smelling like nail varnish, very ascerbic and synthetic. After those fade away, this fragrance mellows into a nice warm musk, with some floral notes to jazz it up.

Musks can have different smells - some clean, some dirty, some sweet, some bitter, etc. - but Jovan's musk is what comes to mind when I first think about what musk smells like. Jovan's Musk For Men leans towards the clean, soapy side, but there is also that slightly bitter, sweaty edge that reminds you that musk is an animalic ingredient, even though I'm sure this is a synthetic musk, considering the low price. I don't agree with the reviewers who say this isn't very musky. This smells to me like an almost pure musk scent with floral and citrus notes playing a supporting role

Jovan's Musk For Men has been around for years, and you can find it in all the el-cheapo stores, but it still is a very good clean scent with a slightly dirty edge, which will make you stand out (in a good way) from everyone else in the office wearing Acqua di Gio.

10th February, 2010

lex's avatar

my first musk frag and i wasnt sure about it. after awhile i really was into jovan musk. not harsh to me but just straight musk and woods and very affordable.

26 January, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

A "nothing but" musk that I refer people to when they ask "what does musk smell like?" since it's so readily available at drugstores everywhere. It's also got a nice amber sweetness in conjunction with the musk. For something so simple, cheap and synthetic, it's good and classic.

14 November, 2009

MOONB's avatar

This is a drugstore cheapie that I find to be respectably pleasant, not offensive at all, and ultimately a bit forgettable, but that's more than I can say for other fragrances in Jovan's price range. This and Coty Musk are good deals, and Jovan Musk is the better of the two.

05 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2011)

muskydusky's avatar

Warm, spicy musk dry down thats soothing, a bit surreal. Close your eyes and smile. A wrist sniffer. This is a must try. Don't be fooled by the price, its only inexpensive because it has poor longevity. But when its around, Jovan Musk is amazing. Musk influences mood. Positively.

20th October, 2009

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

A less expensive version of Kiehl's Musk, sahring the presence of floral notes, thus making it (well, as a matter of fact, both) femenine.

It is an excellent value for money provided carefulness upon application; otherwise, its true self might be revealed. Take in mind it will not not smell cheap if wisely applied.

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

Bartlebooth's avatar

An easy to access time capsule that has the added bonus of actually being quite wearable. The musk and amber presence are pretty restrained, and beyond the lightly citric opening it, this barely evolves,and remains pretty close to the skin. I don't see this being more than a seventies curio, and I remain doubtful that this would be one to reach for on a regular basis.

05 August, 2009

dreese's avatar

A strange mixture of gruff, antiseptic tones along with the softer lavender and carnation. Wore this alone for about a year and have not gone back since. Likable one minute and slightly nauseating the next.

03 June, 2009

tanto's avatar

I bought this in Nov '73, when it first came out. It made for many hot times. Women loved this on a guy. It's real simple but clean smelling. To this day, I still like it!

28 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

ortho123's avatar

Opening notes and the actual color of this product aside, this is great stuff, not monumental by any means, but when worn wisely a clean more upbeat old school scent that denotes a sense of grooming.

Synthetic at the start but really synthetic at its best, I DO get a lot of passing notes from the pyramid (on different days it seems) even from the opening. Yes, fairly early on it becomes a blend after very brief references to lime, pepper, and then it's more spice, faint floral (which resolves from a more dissonant intial floral) and soap and powder. There is even a kind of surpise at least for me, a later on mint edge, especially when you approach this scent as a shirt sniffer in the literal sense.

But complex? No, of course not. And not an overly animalic musk a kind of non-musk for me really.

But I had to come back Jovan Musk For Men...wearable and too many compliments.

14 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2011)

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

I sprayed it on and my initial impression was “Ouch!”. The top verged on being harsh and it was very loud as citrus and spice seared their way into my consciousness. I was beginning to think my 14-year old self had a much stronger constitution than my current incarnation. Then just like that too loud person you meet at your high school reunion who first bowls you over with too much information but then eventually lapses back into the personality you remember you liked; so too does Jovan Musk for Men. Once the top burns off, fairly quickly, there is a straight-forward lavender and woods before the musk makes its appearance in the base. As this dries down the musk takes a solo turn on my skin and really smells very nice. The longevity is not so great but for something that is less than $10 a bottle I think it is certainly adequate.

28 February, 2009

Grottola's avatar

I have a cold as I'm typing this, and can't smell. Yet I can smell the Jovan Musk I just put on....and I like it. A lot. Cheap as it might be, it's really nice and potent. It's got a nice musky-spicy quality to it; warms me up inside. Powerful too. Not bad for a scent that's older than me.

14 November, 2008

RubenC's avatar

This was a coming of age experience back in the mid 70's for me. And has stood the test of time, a classic in it's own regard, made for many a weekend night.

02 October, 2008