Neutral Reviews of Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Find out more about Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Bobster's avatar

There is no doubt that this was king back in it's day but for now I just could not pull this off. When I tested this It felt like I was rolling around in a pit of mothballs and flowers. I dare not speak anything againstit though because 1. It's still on the shelves 2. Longevity is Amazing 3. It projects like a beast 4. It's a classic. What's more to say?

10th March, 2013

cocaineexpress's avatar

I would describe the smell as dirty soap. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't project very well and it's doesn't smell good enough to be worth wearing.

26 August, 2012

man114's avatar

It smells like soap.

I put it on this afternoon for the heck of it havning never tried to wear it but having picked up a gift set for a few bucks.

It smells exactly like bar soap. I noticed very little progression throughout wearing it. Only it was much more astringent when you first put it on. The progression would be akin to putting the bar of soap up to your nose than slowly moving it away.

At the end of the road (I must note I've had other cheapy cologne last much longer), it smells somewhat softer.

I wouldn't call it good but its not bad. Having worn their more modern (and discontinued) Hot Bod Musk a few times lately, I think the softer Hot Bod Musk is more enjoyable, complex and smoother.

27 January, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar

An easy to access time capsule that has the added bonus of actually being quite wearable. The musk and amber presence are pretty restrained, and beyond the lightly citric opening it, this barely evolves,and remains pretty close to the skin. I don't see this being more than a seventies curio, and I remain doubtful that this would be one to reach for on a regular basis.

05 August, 2009

dreese's avatar

A strange mixture of gruff, antiseptic tones along with the softer lavender and carnation. Wore this alone for about a year and have not gone back since. Likable one minute and slightly nauseating the next.

03 June, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

I sprayed it on and my initial impression was “Ouch!”. The top verged on being harsh and it was very loud as citrus and spice seared their way into my consciousness. I was beginning to think my 14-year old self had a much stronger constitution than my current incarnation. Then just like that too loud person you meet at your high school reunion who first bowls you over with too much information but then eventually lapses back into the personality you remember you liked; so too does Jovan Musk for Men. Once the top burns off, fairly quickly, there is a straight-forward lavender and woods before the musk makes its appearance in the base. As this dries down the musk takes a solo turn on my skin and really smells very nice. The longevity is not so great but for something that is less than $10 a bottle I think it is certainly adequate.

28 February, 2009

Carl999's avatar

Jovan Musk is okay, I guess...

I have always enjoyed wearing fragrances - even when I was about eight years old, and even before that, I remember asking my Dad before he went to work "can I PLEASE use some Lagerfeld?", " can I use some Fahrenheit?", "can I use some Eau Sauvage?" or, believe it or not "can I use some Aramis?"...Yes, I know, for an eight year old, that was a bit excesive.

A short while after, I went through a 'dry' period where I didn't bother with cologne for about three or four years. But then, when I was turning twelve, My mum asked "Is there anything special you have in mind for a present, honey?" And I said "Can I have some cologne?" At which mum said "okay, we'll see."

About two days later, I went to do the groceries withmy mum at the Shopping Crntre, where we visited the perfumery. My mum said "just wait out here, I'm just going to duck in for a sec..." I knew what she was up to, and I over-heard her ask the sales assistant if they had anything that would suit a 12 year old boy.

Lo and behold, on my birthday a week later, I recieved a Jovan Musk gift set, with cologne spray, deoderant stick and body spray, along with three Nintendo 64 games (keep in mind, this is eight years ago). I wore it every day until I ran out five months later. I haven't worn it since, but I remember very well it's soapy-flowery-citrusiness, nestled on a light-but-loud muskiness...The smell itself was 'faltering-' or 'uneasy-' smelling, but pleasant enough, and easily adaptable to a very diverse age range...the one thing, other than the fact that I remember the fragrance itself was 'stable', if that's how it can be put, neither on clothing, nor skin, that I didn't like, was a weak, but persistent "sweaty", but never body-odour-like presence.

This aside, and despite it's 'generic' smell and sillage, it was a nice enough fragrance, and nowadays, esily affordable. But I'm not sure I'd ever go back to it, though...My nose has become a lot more sophisticated...Even if there is that semintimental/nostalgic connection, with Jovan Musk being my first fragrance that I OWNED...

23 March, 2007

RobX's avatar

Lovely top note - S O A P Y

The spearmint makes it

A very musky base note for me though

It's quite nice

30th August, 2006

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Well, I think the top notes are terrible and really reminded me of vintage hairsprays... They're strange and result in a weird floral accord. If you can pass these notes, you will find a fragrance similar to Monsieur Musk: a spicy powdery musky scent without a hint of sweetness. At this point It's nice, although I can't deny the smell is a bit old fashioned.

19 August, 2006

zenpiper's avatar

The first time I smelled Jovan Musk I thought it was great. That was back in the Disco '70s when I was young and didn't know beans. (I now know some beans). I think young guys (and some women) would just love this; but it is nothing I would wear these days unless I want to make my friends wonder what the hell happened to me.

10th March, 2006