Positive Reviews of Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Find out more about Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

encarnacion2's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

similar to Diesel zero plus at top note
    No overpower but with good sillage
    good long-lasting
    a little bit soapy (typical in 70s fragrances talcy or soapy)
    Good fragrance masculine and sexy

09 February, 2014

cologne65's avatar

jovan musk cologne for men is a very subtle fragrance. there is a nice fragrance to it but not very strong and does not last long when wearing it. still a classic of the drugstore brands but not as strong or good as english leather or british sterling.

06 January, 2014

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Great old scent that is rather linear.

Sure it does not mature, have a varied nuance or "evolve" but it reminds you of what "old school" scent is all about.

I pair it with Agua Lavanda body wash and I smell like I just stepped out of a great old barbershop.

Smells the same as it did back in the 70's when I was a child.

01st April, 2013

Quartz's avatar

Sure, it's a bit dated but it still smells OK. It has no staying power on my skin unless I really load it on. A classic kind of scent in the Brut category. A good choice for very casual wear.

27 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

C'mon folks. Out of all the basenoters on this website, everyone is acting like they never wore or liked Jovan Musk. This is one of those that started it all for a lot of us (Unless you are 65 years or older). Old school scent that was strong and kind of cloying at first.

You have to realize that a lot of the scents that are out today were inspired by brilliant perfumers who probably wore this stuff. I'm giving this a thumbs up for being a pioneer.

05 November, 2012

studer's avatar

Mans splash. Strong at first and then dries down to a nice smell. Not the cheapest drugstore scents. For me out of the cheaper scents this one is the best. I love to splash this on right before bed. It just gives me a peacefull easy sleep feeling. I can assure you this wont be a hit for the younger ladies at least not for most, but its a good refreshing feeling to the face after a shave or before bed.

12 August, 2012

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Not at all complicated. The top is a bit sharp, as it should be with a cologne. After the first seconds is mellows down to a fresh, slightly adstringent fruity smell without any sweetness. The heart lingers for hours between that fruit and a very dry musk, eventually dries down to wood and musk. Ever it is soft and humble, no offenses. Even in the heat of strong bodyly engagement it remains a shy dry compagnion.

If it wasn't that cheap and some parts of it were a tad more complex - it would be totally different. I'm indifferent whether or not this simplicity is some kind of art. I like it more the more often I use it! One of the best casuals I know, ideal for tennis, Chandler Burr!

25 March, 2011

Abs's avatar

I remember liking this, but can't remember what it smells like. One of the first "grown up" scents that anyone ever bought for me as a kid. I may have to go find some and spray it on just to see if it still works for me :)

28 January, 2011

ViViD's avatar

Japan Japan

I use this cologne very often. It has a pretty nice smell. When first applied, it is strong and spicy, but after a while it becomes a nice sweet musk. It has good lasting power too. The sillage and projection don't seem to be great, but the longevity makes up for it. I wear it a few times a week and it never stops amazing me. Also, the price is wonderful. I will keep buying this.

16 November, 2010

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Classic musk fragrance for men; initially a bit synthetic and chemical but after an hour or so turns into a pleasant long lasting companion for the rest of your day...thumbs up

24 September, 2010

shamu1's avatar

It takes about a half hour for Jovan Musk for Men to be tolerable. The top notes are pretty bad, smelling like nail varnish, very ascerbic and synthetic. After those fade away, this fragrance mellows into a nice warm musk, with some floral notes to jazz it up.

Musks can have different smells - some clean, some dirty, some sweet, some bitter, etc. - but Jovan's musk is what comes to mind when I first think about what musk smells like. Jovan's Musk For Men leans towards the clean, soapy side, but there is also that slightly bitter, sweaty edge that reminds you that musk is an animalic ingredient, even though I'm sure this is a synthetic musk, considering the low price. I don't agree with the reviewers who say this isn't very musky. This smells to me like an almost pure musk scent with floral and citrus notes playing a supporting role

Jovan's Musk For Men has been around for years, and you can find it in all the el-cheapo stores, but it still is a very good clean scent with a slightly dirty edge, which will make you stand out (in a good way) from everyone else in the office wearing Acqua di Gio.

10th February, 2010

lex's avatar

my first musk frag and i wasnt sure about it. after awhile i really was into jovan musk. not harsh to me but just straight musk and woods and very affordable.

26 January, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

A "nothing but" musk that I refer people to when they ask "what does musk smell like?" since it's so readily available at drugstores everywhere. It's also got a nice amber sweetness in conjunction with the musk. For something so simple, cheap and synthetic, it's good and classic.

14 November, 2009

MOONB's avatar

This is a drugstore cheapie that I find to be respectably pleasant, not offensive at all, and ultimately a bit forgettable, but that's more than I can say for other fragrances in Jovan's price range. This and Coty Musk are good deals, and Jovan Musk is the better of the two.

05 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2011)

muskydusky's avatar

Warm, spicy musk dry down thats soothing, a bit surreal. Close your eyes and smile. A wrist sniffer. This is a must try. Don't be fooled by the price, its only inexpensive because it has poor longevity. But when its around, Jovan Musk is amazing. Musk influences mood. Positively.

20th October, 2009

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

A less expensive version of Kiehl's Musk, sahring the presence of floral notes, thus making it (well, as a matter of fact, both) femenine.

It is an excellent value for money provided carefulness upon application; otherwise, its true self might be revealed. Take in mind it will not not smell cheap if wisely applied.

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

tanto's avatar

I bought this in Nov '73, when it first came out. It made for many hot times. Women loved this on a guy. It's real simple but clean smelling. To this day, I still like it!

28 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

ortho123's avatar

Opening notes and the actual color of this product aside, this is great stuff, not monumental by any means, but when worn wisely a clean more upbeat old school scent that denotes a sense of grooming.

Synthetic at the start but really synthetic at its best, I DO get a lot of passing notes from the pyramid (on different days it seems) even from the opening. Yes, fairly early on it becomes a blend after very brief references to lime, pepper, and then it's more spice, faint floral (which resolves from a more dissonant intial floral) and soap and powder. There is even a kind of surpise at least for me, a later on mint edge, especially when you approach this scent as a shirt sniffer in the literal sense.

But complex? No, of course not. And not an overly animalic musk a kind of non-musk for me really.

But I had to come back Jovan Musk For Men...wearable and too many compliments.

14 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

I have a cold as I'm typing this, and can't smell. Yet I can smell the Jovan Musk I just put on....and I like it. A lot. Cheap as it might be, it's really nice and potent. It's got a nice musky-spicy quality to it; warms me up inside. Powerful too. Not bad for a scent that's older than me.

14 November, 2008

RubenC's avatar

This was a coming of age experience back in the mid 70's for me. And has stood the test of time, a classic in it's own regard, made for many a weekend night.

02 October, 2008

carlos-uk's avatar

I bought this in lieu of Avon Musk for Men which has now been discontinued. The two fragrances are somewhat similar though on initial application of Jovan, Government officials should create a no go zone round the wearer. After a good half hour it does calm down and that Musk note so similar to the Avon version is definately there though a little heavier and stronger. We only seem to get the Aftershave & Deodorant version here in the UK, cant find EDT Spray anywhere so I generally only use this in its literal sense i.e after shaving. It's not drastically modern and does have the potential to offend but such is the way of many great fragrances. Yes its cheaply priced but I like it. It is a Musk and as such calms down to a nice clean, sweet smell. Give it a go!

12 July, 2008

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Very nice, smells like a quality, but extremely light, cologne. I wish it stuck around longer on my boyfriend's skin, but what IS left after the initial ten-minute-fizz, is a very soft, almost powdery skin scent that is all good. But no sillage whatsoever, pity! An 'extreme' flanker would go down real well over here. I really don't find the scent cheap, tawdry or common at all. Very polite, and if teenagers were wearing this in the 70s, it must have been a better time! If only they'd all swap their Axe for this today.

09 June, 2008

Islandwriter's avatar

I still love this stuff. I almost always get compliments. Too bad it doesn't stay around long, at least on my skin.

28 December, 2007

tvlampboy's avatar

Laugh all you want, but this sexy and affordable juice has gotten millions of teenage boys laid -- and that's saying a lot.

18 December, 2007

Gil's avatar

Alright..Probably not for everyone, and that's ok. I've been wearing this fragrance since the late 70s and while it's not my "favorite", it still has a classic appeal. The initial application is a bit harsh, but the powdery drydown can have a nice lingering scent.

01st May, 2007

colormechris's avatar

I like to wear this when I'm in a 70's kind of mood. Even though I was a child in the 70's, I still envied the generation before me and all the debauched disco glamour they seemed to be revelling in. Now I can put on Jovan Musk for men and fantasize I'm a Manhattan dilletante stumbling home from another one night stand. As dirty as this might sound, this fragrance is actually very clean smelling, like a childs hair after their bath-time.
    Experienced but not too far from innocence. Gee, that sounds like a perfume ad from the 70's...

22 September, 2006

Not really very much to this scent, and it’s quite old school. In spite of its name, it is not very musky, but that may be because it doesn’t last long on my skin. The fragrance of the scent is actually quite nice, but the individual notes are difficult to separate out and I sporadically encounter a little dissonance in the middle accord. The dry down is a pleasant woods note, quite masculine, but again, not really very musky. The whole fragrance smells rather generic, but in this case, that is not a terrible thing because it’s original for its time and really more pleasant than the generics that swelled the ranks of modern day offerings. It’s a nice scent and it provides more than adequate value for its cost.

27 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

Smells good last fairly it's cheap nuff said but it.

25 December, 2005