Reviews of KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Find out more about KL Homme by Lagerfeld in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

drseid's avatar

KL Homme opens with a very nice amber and orange duo leading to a smooth rosewood note that blends right into the opening accord. During the heart phase the rosewood remains as does the amber, now with the orange fading but still detectable while a supporting floral carnation and rose duo joins the party as well as some mild nutmeg-like spice. As the scent enters the dry-down the amber remains as the rosewood and floral notes dissipate, while a sheen-like slightly powdery vanilla joins in as well as a moderate amount of castoreum to give the base a bit of supporting weight. Projection is average and longevity is very good, with the scent lasting 10-12 hours on skin.

KL Homme is really one of a kind. Its dark orange juice gives a great idea of what the scent smells like, as it dominated by a soft orange and warm amber tandem at its core. The scent of the whole is just slightly sweet and powdery overall, never getting even close to becoming overly so on either count. Also it should be noted that KL Homme is very potent, so a little goes a long way providing excellent value. There are some notes in the official pyramid that are a bit misleading as I really do not smell a few of them, instead swapping in similar notes like animalic castoreum for the listed civet, and nutmeg spice for the cinnamon. That said, while I may find the official notes listing somewhat wanting, there is absolutely *nothing* wrong with the end result, however it was achieved. The bottom line is the sadly discontinued KL Homme smells absolutely fantastic and is definitely worth seeking out for trial and prospective purchase on the aftermarket, earning an excellent rating of 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

10th February, 2013

rbaker's avatar

The opening is a tad too aldehydic for my taste, but has an orange and lemony zest to it. After about 15 minutes a flowery geranium and jasmine tone with rose leads to a great drydown, which includes patchouli, a strong wood note, a strong amber component, good civet, a touch if leather, and lots of musk with vanilla sweetness. This second phase adds up to a classic spicy-oriental fragrance with a delicious incense character that has good silage and projection and lasts for seven hours. A classic.

31st December, 2012

Sal Paradise's avatar

A distant relative to JHL by Aramis this is an awesome winter holiday cool weather scent. Smells alot more retro than it's 1986 vintage, a little goes a long way, a semi-powerhouse.
    Glad to have a vintage 2 oz bottle of KL Homme, the winter just wouldn't be the same without it...

25 November, 2012

Darvant's avatar

I'm so lucky to find out these gems still nowadays hidden in the background of some italian vintage perfumeries. Another great Classic for us. The aldehydic, lemony-orangy , yet obscure beginning  (delicately citrusy, a bit oily-hesperidic and barely herbal) conveys  at me the middle decadence exuded from the Vintage Habit Rouge (in a more restrained and in a less orangy-hesperidic, articulated, leathery and aristocratic way) also due the animal notes, the woods and the balsams yet rising from the base, before the juice slides towards a smooth ambery-animalic and vanillic dry down, softly spicy, barely boozy and mossy, at the boudaries of the semi-gourmand territory. At this point this smooth-resinous (deliciously mouldy, almost edible and velvety) fragrance is a pure heaven made of soft powdery woods, musk, balsams and tasty spices. Some floral notes (mostly Jasmine in my perception) swirl in the air enhancing several almost feminine, sophisticated nuances. The combination of lemon, patchouli, rosewood, spices and resinous-animalic notes produces an amalgam reminding me some Versace L'Homme's facets. The presence of aldehydes, musk, animalic notes as civet, patchouli, orangy spices, jasmine and other turns this juice out as a sort of masculine V&A First counterpart. I would say also that this is the shy (less smouldering and patchouli dominant) Mazzolari Lui's twin. A discontinued masterpiece.

12 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2013)

Grottola's avatar

KL Homme is smooth and classy-smelling; there's no doubt about that. At the same time, it's a bit too powdery and borderline-feminine for my taste. I hate to be the first neutral on this one, but it's not something I'd wear. If I want a powdery fragrance, I'd much sooner reach for Tiffany for Men.

Don't let my opinion worry any hopes you might have about this - it's still worth trying and you may strike gold when you smell this. I didn't.

09 February, 2011

HDS1963's avatar

By Man, Gucci Nobile and yes KL Homme.

This is a beautiful woody oriental that blends so smoothly to a dry down that is rich in vanilla and oriental spices. It's has elements of the best parts of the Lagerfeld Classic drydown, but is smoother than honey running down velvet.

It's beautiful and should never have been discontinued. I have a bottle. I want more, but sadly the world's stocks are running very very low.

And that, my friends, is a crime.

10th June, 2010

shamu1's avatar

I cannot overstate how great this is.

KL Homme is a beautiful, smouldering, and mysterious oriental fragrance which exudes an amazing sense of warmth that is hard to adequately describe in words. I smell a lot of similarities to Habit Rouge in this, but without the bitterness or powderiness of Habit Rouge - this scent is unbelievably smooth. Whereas Habit Rouge is a refined, well-mannered aristocrat, KL Homme is a sly, restrained sexual animal on the prowl. It has a beautiful orange-tinged woody opening and middle accord, which morphs into an exotic, spicy vanillic drydown.

Although I don't quite consider this a "powerhouse" - it's just too damn smooth and silky to qualify - it has very good longevity and radiance. If I were to describe the overall feel of this fragrance, I'd say it's heat. Sexual heat. Unlike many of the masculine scents from this era, KL Homme doesn't kill you with harsh spiciness - rather, it slowly entices you, drawing you in with its deep, rich, hazy warmth.

Many thanks to AromiErotici for sending me a sample of this beauty.

09 November, 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar

Another little gem from the '80s pushed to the side by modern tastes, KL Homme seems to draw some of its inspiration from an even earlier fragrance - Estee Lauder's feminine classic, Youth Dew. The top notes draw on a very similar bergamot meets spiced, floral amber, but toned down in terms of volume and amped up on brightness via a fizzy burst of aldehydes. In the drydown KL Homme changes character, becoming an amber driven by patchouli and opoponax, a slight rosy hint making a showing in the heart before it becomes smoothly animalic in the base. It has a hint of smokiness and soapiness that gives it a slight synthetic vibe, but I find it quite wearable none the less. The longevity and sillage are quite robust, as many of this style and era are.

27 September, 2009

Bigsly's avatar

A great oriental blend featuring lots of strong, contrasting notes that nevertheless work well together. However, some may need to wear it a few times and to get acquainted with it. I can detect spices, geranium, lavender, wood, castoreum, and a little syrupy sweetness with a hint of vanilla. There are also clearly softening floral elements. In some ways, fragrances like this represent the pinnacle of the "art" of perfumery. If you didn't like the original Lagerfeld men's fragrance, that doesn't matter, because they are quite distinct. That one (the original, not "Classic") is drier, doesn't have the strong lavender or geranium, and is subtler. Nor does it have an animalic note. It does have strong opoponax, however, which KL Homme lacks. I enjoy both, but if you want to avoid loud fragrances, KL Homme is probably not for you. After a couple hours or so, it mellows out quite a bit, but the longevity is quite good.

My old review, from August, 2009: This is just too strong for me (even one spray), so I tried diluting it and also mixing it with a similar fragrance that is much gentler. If I get it just right, it's a great combination of notes. The geranium, which I hate if too strong, really brings the other notes out. However, if I didn't dilute it, the geranium and amber would be too much (the aldehydes might also be part of this problem). A newbie might like this at first, but then find it unbearable a month later (which is what happened to me), but I'm glad I have a bottle of this one, even if I can't use it as is.

I think it's worth comparing this to another "power frag," in this case, I'll mention Horizon. With Horizon, if you don't like the marine notes or the lavender, you are done with it. There is no way (AFAIK) to diminish certain notes while keeping the others intact, and even if you could, what would you get with Horizon then? KL Homme, by contrast, is just too strong. If I tried to adjust to it, then other fragrances in my rotation would be perceived as too weak, so dilution is the only option that makes sense for me. Putting so many strong notes in a fragrance is quite a risk, but this one was successful, though too much more today's less pungent olfactory sensibilities.

One last point, which is that I can understand this being compared to several other fragrances. One that hasn't been mentioned is Jovan's Sex Appeal for him. I prefer KL Homme to these, some of which have a sickly sweet "synthetic" quality that nauseates me (even if diluted) or have a "nose twisting" quality, such as Habit Rouge. I think I'd like KL Homme more if there was less amber, which does seem to be oppressing most of the other notes (though the geranium more than holds its own), but I don't mind having to dilute it, because that just means it's costing me less, so the tradeoff is acceptable. Longevity and sillage are excellent.

22 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2011)

blondex199667's avatar

I think this is one of the best mens fragrances of all time, period. It does have similarities to all of the fragrances it has been compared to but beats them all. It is the only one of it's kind I've ever liked at all and I really love it. I still have an unopened bottle in the fridge. Just can't bring myself to open it! I'm hoping that if Giorgio for Men and New West can be resurrected, maybe KL Homme can be too.

22 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2009)

RJR's avatar

The comparisons of KL homme to Obsession for Men are on the money! If the pyramids from JaimeB and Basenotes are to be believed — and I believe them — these two fragrances share many notes. There are notes not shared, of course, but to the nose, these are twin brothers, born together in 1986, and I'd bet that most people (Basenoters excluded) wouldn't be able to tell them apart in a sniff test.

There are differences, but they owe to personality, not essence. Obsession certainly isn't meek, but it doesn't jump off the skin quite as boldly as KL homme does when both are freshly applied. On the other hand (or arm, in my personal testing) KL homme dries to a smoother middle and finish than its brother. While the spice in Obsession continues to stick up like a sharp tack piercing the other elements during the heart and dry down, the spice in KL homme blends with the surrounding notes to create a velvety, soothing quality.

I disagree with references to KL homme as a powerhouse. It certainly doesn't stomp into a room, demanding attention like Bijan for Men, or even the more composed Grey Flannel. Lumping KL with these, or Polo or Quorum, risks turning people away from a frag they just might like. In fact, KL homme might be a good "transition" frag for those looking to escape the watery depths of the current trends.

Truth is,KL homme and Obsession both odeserve thumbs up and a place in your wardrobe. But if cost is an issue, having just one of them will suffice.

As a practical matter, KL homme may have been discontinued years ago, but I recently found NIB, sealed product in a small fragrance store. I was able to test before buying, found it to be fresh, and bought multiple bottles. Apparently some of the good stuff is still going around. Buy it.

06 April, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

KL Homme is a sophisticated powdery and tangy oriental. It reminds me of Estee Lauder women's fragrances, especially Youth Dew. This fragrance, however, is complex, masculine and long-lasting. The rich bouquet is very prominent, so a few sprays will do, unless you want to announce your presence in a grand manner. It's a pity that this wasn't more popular, it's a classy scent. A discontinued treasure from Lagerfeld.

22 February, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

AN oriental I can deal with. It's powerful. It's lightly powdery. It's got that wormwood/opopanax accord. Dusty. Warm. Strong. I love the bottle, off-set facets of 45-degree planes of glass. This is what they mean by a blast from the past.

02 August, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

I find KL Homme & Lagerfeld Classic to have this copperish overtones to it which gives off a very metallic/aldehydic opening accords..theres definitely rose, rosewood, dirtied up leather and hints of vanillic sweetness & cinnamon. These scents smell better when they settle a little (maybe after half hour..? ) and yeh, do not overspray.

11th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2009)

cheadle's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Looking at the picture on this page is sufficient to bring back memories of this fragrance. I must admit I didn't go looking for it but when i saw it i knew immediately it was a classic...one of a kind fragrance. Will definitely buy it again if I come across it. I'm not sure but i recently went through a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme,some similarities with KL Homme perhaps???..As i said, am not sure. Anyway, to cap it all, two thumbs way up!!

28 December, 2007

JaimeB's avatar

A beautiful oriental. I saw this ibn a little perfume shop and picked it up right away. It was the last one on the shelf.

The carnation-rose-cinnamon accord is lovely; it is slightly reminiscent (to me) of Caron Bellodgia, but in a more masculine key. This would be very comforting on a gray, rainy day!

Aldehyde, Bergamot oil, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Rosewood, Carnation, Cedarwood oil, Cinnamon, Fern, Geranium, Jasmin, Patchouli, Rose, Sandal, Amber, Benzoin, Civet, Musk, Oilbanum, Vanilla

12 October, 2007

Carl999's avatar

...cruel justice... indeed 'tvlampboy'. Totally agree with you. Its criminal that they can let gems like this be discontinued in the name of watery, weak, substanceless, prissy crap like Acqua di Gio...It literally disgusts me!

KL was so warm, smooth under-stated. Indeed, some good approximations would be (although none can quite compare to KL) Obsession, Opium for Women, Habit Rouge, Jovan pour Monsieur (if i remember correctly), and, strangely, Canoe, by Dana.

Look, they're all equally fabulous scents. Neither is better than any of the others. This was just an approximation of what sort of notes I got from KL.

Wish they'd bring it back!!!!!!!

11th June, 2007

balticninja's avatar

I managed to buy a brand new, sealed bottle of this outstanding fragrance online last year. When i heard it had been discontinued i tried to buy more from the same site but they were completely out. Shame really. Total 80's power fragrance. I have to ration it now until i find another supplier.

09 January, 2007

tvlampboy's avatar

Luscious Oriental. Pity it's discontinued. Pity, too, that crap like Acqua di Gio (I like to translate that one as "Joe's Old Water" -- LOLOLOL) remains popular while gems such as KL get discontinued. (Ah, the cruel injustice of it all!)

29 September, 2006

The first time I wore this fragrance I loved it. Since then I have developed a strong reaction against many leather notes, and KL Homme was the first one whose leather note turned on me and became destructively repugnant. I still remember how rich and vibrant it was when I first tried it. I should have paid more attention to the interference with my breathing that I had experienced - it was sending me a message. (Edit of May 6, 2006 review. Changed from a thumb’s up.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: An unmitigated rosewood in the top notes accounts for most of the massiveness. It is rather easy to determine the heavier individual notes in this—rosewood, definitely; cedar wood, most assuredly; sandalwood, uh-huh; civet, loeather, oh yes—for sure; rose, probably. All these dense notes are so apparent. As to the lighter notes, there’s probably some citrus in the beginning (rosewood always overpowers citrus to my nose), some aldehydes show up after fifteen minutes or so. And after that a few florals begin to fade in—not to forget some patchouli and musk. This is the heaviest designer fragrance I’ve encountered. The first ten minutes are so oppressive I almost have trouble breathing, and I really love this juice. 06 May 2006

06 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Francois Blais's avatar

KL Homme is definitely the best men's Lagerfeld, IMHO. A complex oriental bouquet, with some of the powdery components of Lagerfeld classic and the orangey spiciness of women's Opium.
    An excellent alternative to Obsession for men.

18 November, 2005

c-men's avatar

Can only agree with the previous reviews on this one. An all-time favorite of mine well balanced rich sweetness and complexity - truly, luxurious, a pity that it was discontinued. I have been looking for a substitute fragrance to this one for some time nowÖ..

27 February, 2005

20scents's avatar

Very interesting scent! Reminds me somewhat of Habit Rouge, in its complexity, woodiness, and unrelenting aroma and presence! Not to be worn by the meek; this one is for the more mature male hearkening to the days of the wild, unrestrained 80's fragrances. If worn under the shirt, it seems to come across less aggressively. Definitely a love it/hate it scent.

29 January, 2005