Reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

THE modern fougère par excellence!

09 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2014)

VanAllan's avatar
    VanAllan
    Romania Romania

An iconic fragrance and a reference in the scent world, which I used to hate when I was a student (when a lot of foreign students wore it way too loud making it unbearable for most of us).
    I tried it again couple of weeks ago and it caught me because on one hand my nose has 'matured' meanwhile along with my increasing collection and on the other hand this reformulated version is (fortunately) more bearable for me, so when I got the chance I bought it happily.
    Coriander, sage, bergamot with a touch of honey sweetness is what I get from the start, followed quickly by a mellowing flowery combo of geranium, patchouli and carnation, with the top aromatic-sweetness still in background. In the next 2 hrs the scent matures in its leathery-animalic-musky base, very mature and compelling.
    A great 'barbershop' style frag for me which I really like it a lot and even if it's kinda 'weak' now (for other collectors who used to treasure its vintage version's power) it suits me well and so others noses around me. My rank 8/10 - a keeper in my everyday wardrobe.

04 April, 2014

crecy1346's avatar
    crecy1346

I always,always get complemented when wearing this.Yes it is a bit retro but it has stood the test of time.It also has plenty of staying power easily lasting all night

25 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2014)

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

KOUROS by YSL is nice enough...in a bland, boring, very dated sort of way. Opens with a harsh woodsy furniture polish vibe that transitions to a potent clove and cut-grass heart that comes across synthetic and oily rather than natural or fresh. Sort of reminicent of lemon oil furniture polish. Very reminicent of the 80s scents for men. Not bad, just unremarkable. Lasts approximately 4-6hrs on skin.

13 February, 2014

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Coriander and clary sage, tempered by bergamot, blast out at you. The middle is made up of seven ingredients (four florals - jasmine, geranium, iris, carnation - and three woody spice notes -patchouli, vetiver, cinnamon). The base is made up of oak moss, honey, leather, tonka, musk and civet [Notes compliments of Barbara Herman.]

It's wonderfully sexy and animalic - I mean it smells like sex, a combination of natural body odors and aftershave. It's like smelling the sheets after your lover has gone to shower following a warm afternoon of passionate love making. Indelibly masculine and a deserved classic.

It took me years to try this original and what a surprise -it was copied by Enrico Sebastiano for the scent that bears his name and which has been one of my all time favorites for years. Imitation is the greatest compliment.

One of the very few Turin 5 stars worth the classification. Stunning, but strictly for the erotic and sensual personality.

11th February, 2014

k e i t h's avatar
    k e i t h

Ive been sampling some classic mens fragrances over the last month. I bought a 100ml Kouros after sampling it for a couple days. I put a dab on my wrists and behind my ears and was amazed at how potent this stuff was. What's there to say about Kouros that hasn't been said already? Another reviewer said "You don't wear Kouros. It wears you" That sounds about right. I will also add that this is one of the few fragrances in my life that has really stopped me in my tracks to have "a moment" I was born in 1985, so Kouros was a little before my time. It is a recent discovery for me, but I don't think I will forget it. There is a pivotal moment in every young mans life that signifies moving on to the next level of man-dom. Kouros gives me the feeling that I am 10 feet tall, and suddenly the world feels a little bit smaller around me. As I beat my hands against my chest, I realize that I have now reached that higher level of man-dom!

Things I have noticed about the Kouros's I own-
    The 1ml sample seems to have more depth, and a smokeyness that I really enjoy. It is there from the first dab on the wrist all the way to the drydown. The 100ml bottle (a tester, if it matters) seems to be lacking a lot of that smokeyness, it is there but very faint. I still enjoy my new production Kouros and find myself wanting to wear it more than any other fragrance in my collection.

A spray to the bare chest is all I really need... it will project very well. I think it really comes alive when sprayed on the skin, rather than on clothing. If you have a beef with Kouros smelling too much like urinal cakes, try that before dismissing it. It may surprise you.

I hope to track down a vintage Kouros at some point to enjoy as well.

17 January, 2014

Conrad01's avatar
    Conrad01

First off, let me start by saying, I believe the new version (reformulation) should be completely separated from the vintage. That being said, I have never owned a vintage bottle so I wanted to go into smelling this with no preconceived notions about the "butcher job" L'Oreal did to Kouros. Upon opening the box I was hit with the aroma immediately and am pleased to say that the sillage has not been "neutered", because if it were much stronger than this to begin with you'd need fallout gear. I had my doubts, but upon first spray I though, "This is actually really, really good." Maybe not a work of art, nor a masterpiece, but Kouros, from a previously unbiased opinion still smells delicious. It started off extremely Clove-ish, and within 10 minutes the synthetic oakmoss started to creep in, within an hour the incense smell was starting to work it's way through this Aromatic Fougere, and after a few hours I was not begrudged a delicious dry down. Please, forgive me, as I am a novice Frag-Head, and this is my first review (hopefully of many), I just believe that this fragrance needs an unbiased review of whether or not it is a good fragrance on its own merits.

10th January, 2014

Sniffers's avatar
    Sniffers

Bought Kouros when it first came out and have always loved it...I am wearing it
    today...IMHO, this is a masterpiece and a vintage bottle belongs in any serious
    collectors wardrobe...a must for anyone the loves animalic fragrances...I have
    honestly gotten compliments from many ladies over the years wearing this...Used
    up my vintage (need to get more ),and currently have the decent one with silver on
    the bottom and top of bottle and top of sprayer...not bad, but the vintage is for sure
    deeper and richer...Opening - a civet laced blast of civety/spicy aldehydes with just a
    touch of a refreshing citrusy feel...very aromatic and pungently pleasing...reminds
    me of the animalic opening blasts of Orange Spice and Ungaro II...as the fragrance
    progresses the civet mellows out more and more and slowly fades to the background
    but never completely disappears...Middle- as it progresses to the middle I really pick
    up on a nice soft leather with a dark honey accent that has the feel and smell of
    honey with none of the sweetness...get an earthiness from the vetiver and patchouli,
    but again, a dark earthy patchouli with no sweetness...just a touch of spice and flower...Base - I find the base to be truly beautiful...Now it sweetens up to me and
    just a nice smooth blend of sweetness from musk/vanilla/amber and a touch of
    oakmoss...and the nice tang of civet lurking in the background...
    This is the male equivalent to Tabu in the feelings and effects I get from this fragrance...I do find it lusty, sexy, seductive and slightly exotic...
    A very close relative is Arrogance...I find they smell very similar in a lot of ways...
    Definitely different scents, but somehow I do see Lapidus as being a distant cousin
    to Kouros...When I originally bought Kouros when it came out I remember running
    across Lapidus later and for some reason immediately associating it with Kouros...
    I think it's because both were rich, deep, exotic and unusual scents that smelled
    like no other...And when I do get a soapy whiff once in a while it is like the nice
    clean/dirty soap smell I get in Paco Rabanne Homme...

30th October, 2013

's avatar

what have i done

my body kouros spilled out into my spice drawer so i figured i'd spritz on this newly arrived regular kouros instead.

i have a business meeting tonight and now i smell like urine.

send help.

Pros: has the name 'kouros'
    Cons: smells like pee"

22 October, 2013

Unvisible's avatar
    Unvisible

covers the entire spectrum from clean to dirty

This, like Guerlain's Vetiver, took some getting used to. At first sampling, I thought this was the smell of a generic bar of soap scented with patchouli and incense (which the bottle resembles). I couldn't smell any of these urine cake/feces notes everyone was talking about. On the contrary; it smelled almost clean. On subsequent wearings, I could definitely detect what could be interpreted as a urine/fecal smell. But really I think it's just the honey/civet smell. I really hope they are not using authentic civet to make this stuff. After more than a year experimenting with it, I wore it outside on a hot summer day and it smelled great! It doesn't smell dated and has great strength and smells fresh, but also dirty. It seems a lot of the younger people these days are getting into old school classics, and this shouldn't be overlooked. There's a reason it's still for sale.

Pros: not outdated
    Cons:

02 October, 2013

dapperdonblu's avatar
    dapperdonblu

Review of the updated Kouros L'Oreal

I purchased Kouros based on the review of many and has coined a remarkable fragrance that some can either hate or love.

Whenever I spay Kouros, I immediately get this blast of Oriental , Bathroom Urinal Cake scent a la Creed's Orange Spice, in fact, it is very similar to Creed's Orange Spice, but its not entirely of "Orange".

This fragrance has amazing staying power on my skin and the sillage is great.

I wouldnt say this fragrance is "dirty" or "musky" because I own SL Muscs Kublai Khan and Kouros is light years from being compared to MKK. I would compare it much to Muscs Raveguer because of its Oriental-like status and lack of being an actually musk

I would say this fragrance is fairly light, a little bit on the cloying side. But to get a clear view of this fragrance either go test it, or smell Creed's Orange Spice. I wouldnt say I hate this fragrance, nor do I love it. Its tolerable, but all and all, a classic for anyone who is refined and over the age of 30.

20th September, 2013

Suppressor's avatar
    Suppressor

King Kouros.

I do get incense out of Kouros. But it's certainly not the main player. It's very complex.
    It's spicy, slightly floral, smokey, sweet, slightly animalic, it has a ton of musk and a touch of civet.
    It's amazing that such a clash of notes can blend together smoothly in the drydown.
    The biggest issue most people have with Kouros is the opening.
    I own a 50ml of Kouros and I don't want to be without it.
    I don't wear it monthly but there are times that I crave to wear it.
    I love my "compliment getters", but I need my "Kouros" moment from time to time.
    I need that moment when something is on my mind or when I'm unhappy about something or need to reflect on certain things.
    It's brutal. Super masculine. Uncompromising. Kouros doesn't care. It gives me a rush.
    I mostly wear it when I'm at home. I have worn it a couple of times while shopping.
    I remember 1 old guy literally staring at me in the bus. Not in disgust though.
    It was like he was hypnotized. I have never seen that look on anyone's face.
    They might not expect such a fragrance on a guy who is in his twenties, lol.

If you don't give Kouros a test on your skin, you should be banned from this forum.

Oh BTW, my mother says it smells soapy.
    I never asked her if it smells soapy, as in urinal cakes.
    Because I don't care.

14 September, 2013

the-cologne-guy's avatar
    the-cologne-guy

Made with bits of real Panther...

Every time I smell Kouros, the scene from Anchorman comes to mind where Brian applies "Sex Panther". Although this fragrance is pleasant, if Sex Panther were a real, designer cologne, it would be Kouros. It is dirty, yet clean. You can smell the heat, yet and the same time, it's cooled down by ice. It's so animalistic, yet it's incredibly pleasant. If I was a masculine mustached anchor from the 80s, I would wear Kouros. And it definitely works more than 60% of the time, every time.

This is something I enjoy wearing when I don't want to be part of the crowd. When I want to feel masculine, and individual, and I want to smell good regardless of what anyone else says, I throw on Kouros.

Pros: Very unique, smells powerful so to speak
    Cons: Overbearing and sometimes harsh"

01st September, 2013

MrMookie's avatar
    MrMookie

The smell of ancient gods

I can be short and brief about Kouros so many people here told great stuff about this godly potion.
    I think Kouros is Unique,fresh,deep and mysterious oh did i say unique?

I think its an Ubermasculine Alpha Male fragrance.

and Most bold and daring juice ever created in this century.

Alfaroms review is spot on!

True story :

Once i heard about a woman working in a office being stalked by her manager/boss for months and she was not in the position to react against him because she was dependent in crisis for work on his judgement and decisions.

He was in control of her so to speak.

She had kids and was not married anymore so she worked her ass of for this company keeping her head up, she loved her work but hated his guts.

One day she was fed up with his harresments and she picked up an old woolen sweater from her closet and she sprayed this over with tons of sprays of an old bottle of Kouros which was left behind by her ex.

The next day she dropped this sweater over her chair in her office.

Everytime her manager came in her office he reacted instinctly on the fragrance which was lingering in space. He instantly stopped any harresment and reacted reserved the next days that came.

This reaction was definiatly drawn by the Kouros cloud.

And you thought that animals only reacted on territory border huh? We all are products of instinctive nature...

Thats 1 of the many powers of Kouros.

Statement frag, MASTERPIECE

Pros: UNIQUE , One of a kind, Bold and intelligent
    Cons: Ehhhhwwww reactions from girls wearing Nicky Minaje frags"

26 August, 2013

DanHD's avatar
    DanHD

Beautiful

Kouros is a wonderful fragrance. I read the positive and negative reviews here, and to me it’s fantastic, starting pretty low key and building with floral and spices and continuing to amber and woods. It’s deep, without any big blasts of citrus, with a hint of vetiver in the mid to base notes. Complex and always intriguing. The beginning reminds me of Obsession in a way.

After trying a pretty long list of classics and newer favorites, Kouros nailed it immediately for me, and I know it’s going to be a lasting love. Antaeus was too much, but with Kouros I ride the wave, never feeling notes too harsh or overbearing. Pierre Bourdon you are the man. I own Green Irish Tweed and soon Kouros – I wish you had more recognition in the mainstream culture.

Pros: Deep, fulfilling, complex, and inviting
    Cons: Might be tough in very hot weather"

13 August, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Los Angeles, 1983

Not sure if this review is going to be much use to anyone; it is hard to say what this smells like to me save for "Los Angeles, 1983." This is a sample of the the early 80s version, and it is just how I remember it. Wild, raw. It is a scent that announces one's presence. It is a scent that does not show an over preoccupation with others; it is not a codependent scent. You are not wearing this because you want to be liked, but because you can. Crazy that I wore this as a teenager, as it is about as non conformist as you can get.

-------

The above rating was from a vintage sample. Yesterday, I tried the latest formulation at duty free, and really did not like it at all. It was far more unitary, more eucalyptus, and less animalistic. I would read the original a 4 and this on a 3, so will rate 3.5

23 July, 2013

AdamOhio's avatar
    AdamOhio

Worth 1,000 words

What I get from this legend (frag/topic), is not what others report getting: the urinal cake and skank. Rather, I get a sweet-ish industrial cleanser smell, that to my nose, does not evolve much. I have never gotten a stand alone drydown of racy skank. As far as I know my juice is vintage, but... from a sample, not a bottle.

Pros: Proud; (in)famous
    Cons: For me, linear

07 July, 2013

Alexey's avatar
    Alexey
    Germany Germany

Probably the best review of 'Kouros' of all the 300 that are here, was presented by 'Izzie' on 20th of March 2013.

I do believe I am in the former category - either I sprayed twice (which I did) or this awful scent is from the 80's? Because it sure smells like that... or maybe both!

12 May, 2013

Izzie's avatar
    Izzie

This fragrance is pure genius, IF you use it right. If you stick your nose right in the sprayer and take a sniff - it will smell like a urinal. If you spray it on yourself 2+ times - it will smell like a urinal.

However, if you stick with one spray, and keep the bottle rather far from you when you spray it, this thing will work for you.

It has a personal, unwashed but not unclean kind of smell to it, and on some people, it blends perfectly with the skin and even though it is super strong and a powerhouse, doesn't come off as cologne so much as just the way someone might smell on their own. (Again, if applied very modestly)

I know people claim this is the epitome of masculinity, but I've worn this with success and compliments galore, so I think that's pretty much bogus. It is masculine, yes, but also sweet and actually kind of gentle and soft if you apply it right.

You do have to have some courage to be able to pull it off however, while not as offensive as some claim, it IS very different to the current popular fragrances. It's not sterile and clean clean clean, and that in and of itself might offend people.

20th March, 2013

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

OK...finally reviewing Kouros...god help me. I ended up trying to clean it off me the last time I tried it. Right away I find soapy cloves and honey, as others have commented. There's a sliminess (civet, or faux-civet?), kind of like a very greasy musk. I don't find much piss or sweat yet, but I'm starting to get some anise/licorice, which for me usually means trouble ahead. It's surprisingly sweet in spite of all the pine, leather, turpentine, cowboy sweat, and whatever other horrors lurk within. What I'm noticing, though, is that when I test it on a bit of toilet paper as I'm doing now, it's way sweeter and less rank, but when I wear a splash of it on a T-shirt it's stale and pissy, and not very sweet, and this is when I had to get it off immediately. (I'm afraid to put it directly on my skin because I think it would beat me up.) Later, the sweetness and licorice start to subside, and it gets more sharp and herby like Yatagan, which I like, but it also adds a rubberiness which really bothers me. But the funny thing, the connection which I never made before, is that the mid-note stage immediately made me think of Aramis. It's so obvious now: Aramis has more soapy musk, and this stage of Kouros is surprisingly similar but with a bit of Yatagan and lumberjack extract to sharpen things up. Some time ago, I decided Aramis was too much for me, but that I could deal with Yatagan (or Eucris, along those lines). Kouros, however, combines the aspects that I _don't_ like of these scents, adds the rubber, and is too dated; it lives proudly in 1981, but I don't.

20th March, 2013

patsavouta's avatar
    patsavouta

when i was a young boy i have seen this perfume and smelled it about 3-4 times: all of them smelled like shit! i mean in real!!! i never purchased this perfume as an adult.

04 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2013)

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

A classic. Dirty clove, civet and musk - locker room impressions - a seminal scent in it's time. Never surpassed. Longevity over seven hours on me with great silage and powerful projection. Not my personal favourite but I recognise an icon if I smell one.

11th February, 2013

individual's avatar
    individual

It all started with something that could qualify for the march of the Absolute. I was looking for something that could capture the feeling of not just unrestricted empirical power but transcendence of the world at the same time. This is not to say that i was looking for a fragrance which made me feel powerful, but a fragrance which i could wear when i feel powerful. These moments come when one is high on stimulants( preworkout products) and coming out of the gym with sweat and pump. I narrowed it down to : fahrenheit, kouros and antaeus. These three turned out to be the only available options where i live. Fahrenheit being reformulated was too weak, for the purpose i wanted it to serve. Further, fahreneheit is more of a boyish scent, beautiful but empirical, powerful but only what a leather jacket can convey. Sadly antaeus went out of stock. I was left with kouros. The smell is indeed what i was looking for. Not an instance of a category, but an individual, powerful, other wordly and standing alone - not in search of validation, not out there to please somebody, not afraid to be abrasive to protect it's freedom.
    The smell was not at all dirty or urine like to my nose, but rather clean, the same image which the white bottle evokes. My only problem with the fragrance is that it is the latest reformulated version with no silver on shoulders and bottom. the only silver is in the cap.This version is very muted as compared to the descriptions i head here and elsewhere. I have not smelled the ones with silver shoulders and bottoms. It stays on the skin for more than 6 hours may be even 8, but the projection is not legendary. It has got the smoky feel to it. i really like it and might look out for the silver shouldered bottle if i use this bottle more than 20% of the time before march. I need a bottle with better projection.

20th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2013)

Primevortex's avatar
    Primevortex

I have to rate this highly in a very biased review because this along with YSL's Opium is the smell of my childhood. My dad was obsessed with Kouros since it came out. My first smell memory is of my Dad's Kouros, I bought it only for that reason. This is a smell for a lifetime of memories for me.

16 January, 2013

reinhard5490's avatar
    reinhard5490
    Netherlands Netherlands

Do you want your perfume to stays long and can be smelled by anyone that you met that day? a perfume that would make you feel invincible? this is what you want. if you're strong enough to hold its persona

Yes, Kouros have its own lively persona. animalic, strong and full of character. You don't wear Kouros, since Kouros will wear you. It will drive your emotion, giving certain sense of masculinity into the limit previously unknown. not a scent that you would love, nothing sweet or spicy here. pure animalic civet and slight leathery honey to make you feel like Tarzan in the modern world

there's a sense of animalic masculinity in every men. we need certain things to trigger its up. some men goes to the gym to build up their muscles, some work in military and some wear Kouros. the scent is too masculine, its so strong that drive yourself wild. you can feel the heat that caused by this beast, a heat that almost as strong as instinct of animal. a sense of power and confidence together with courage to show yours into other men

this fragrance isnt build for those who want to impress girls or other people (the drydown smelt like armpit, really) this magnificent perfume drives your instinct and emotion wild to break the limits

16 January, 2013

Zizanie's avatar
    Zizanie

I have two bottles -- one purchased about 5 years ago and the other a vintage bottle purchased off eBay this month. The purpose of the review is the to comment on both formulations. Until I received my vintage bottle, I would have sworn that the more recent version smelled like the vintage version I first owned back during Kouros' heyday. It had good lasting power and possessed that unique dirty-clean dichotomy that I really love in fragrances. Along came the small vintage bottle from my eBay purchase and as soon as I sampled my new purchase I could tell right away there's been a reformulation. The vintage version is both sweeter and dirtier at the same time -- and sharper. The civet in the vintage version is somehow rougher than the civet in the newer version. Could it be that the vintage version used real civet versus civetone or one of the other synthetic civet-like aromachemicals? I will say that as reformulations go, this is one of the more adeptly managed ones. Kouros has been given a shave and a haircut, but the swaggering rogue underneath is still there.

31st December, 2012

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Old school frag I remembering wearing back in the days when I use to go out clubbin. Smelled OK then. Now, this is not too good. Guess I didn't know better then. Didn't even know they still sold this stuff.

16 October, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar
    comfortablynumbbg
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Very outdated fragrance. It just doesn't smell pleasant. Not exactly pee in a bottle as some have mentioned, but it has a dirty/unclean feel to it, and that's just not right.

09 September, 2012

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

Some feel that Pierre Bourdon's Kouros should've been quarantined to the 80s. While it arrives like a hairy-knuckled punch to the face, indignant cries that it's rude and repellant are overlooking the elegance of its drama – a duel between the comely florals and spices (rose, carnation, cinnamon, clove) and its stinky animalics (civet, musks). Bourdon exploits here the implicit confession in a bar of soap: I'm dirty in the first place. A prominent honey note undulates between the floral-sweet and urinous-sour, while a hushed incense offers the fragrance a churchy inflection and vaguely Manichean air, as if there's more at stake than personal hygiene.

The fragrance is tremendous (go easy on the trigger) and the name is perfect: 'kouros', from the Greek, a free standing sculpted representation of nude male youth, one foot forward.

03 August, 2012

tourmaline's avatar
    tourmaline

I am female, and I completely agree with the reviewer down below who said Kouros smells like a locker room. It really smells just like that. I have been inside men's locker rooms a few times before (don't ask...) and Kouros smells like the steam from the showers, the sweat from the bodies, the urinal cakes, and the deodorants sticks. Kouros perfectly balances shower-fresh clean with raunchy sweaty body. Now, as a woman, do I find the smell of Kouros attractive? It is pleasant and definitely interesting. But here's the thing: if a woman thinks you are good looking and attractive to begin with, she will most likely be down with whatever scent you are wearing assuming you don't completely reek of it. But if a woman does not find you good looking or attractive in general, no fragrance is going to turn her around and draw her in. Guys really need to accept this. There is no cologne that is going to make a woman want to sleep with a man if she's not attracted to him already in other ways. Sorry guys. Anyway, back to Kouros. It's a pleasant scent, smells like a PE locker room at a high school (which I think is what they were going for i.e. Kouros = a male youth), fascinating balance of soapy clean and sweaty dirty, I give it a thumbs up, and I even think that daring women can wear this!

16 July, 2012