Reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Truffles's avatar

I remember this mainly from my teenage years and every time I smelled it my conclusion was the same. Just one word - HORRIBLE.

23 October, 2008

scentofascent's avatar

This is a fragrance that you should buy only after testing on your skin for at least 15 minutes. On the first spray you can say very heavy, but wait here it comes. It dries down becomes an amazing scent. As i stated before that is a very skin-dependant fragrance. My friend sprayed it and becomes a total different fragrance. TEST before buy

22 October, 2008

smellme's avatar

this is a pleasent smell but when its been on my skin for a few mins i can think of only one thing. BABY POWDER, and i hate that.

15 October, 2008

TaoLady's avatar

Let me begin with my biases. I love "men's" frags and have many in my wardrobe. I like assertive scents that proclaim themselves upfront and continue strong. And this one certainly does. After the first cedary blast it becomes warm and enveloping with a slightly melancholy undertone - the "incense" leans toward the spicy clove rather than the churchy somberness of - say - Avignon. Good longevity.

I'm giving it a thumbs up cuz I think it's great 'fume and great for a guy, but I would not wear it myself.

04 October, 2008

AnimaSola's avatar

Exalted bathroom spray! An ostentatious guest that will not shut up. Super cloying. I once read that a famous Spanish classical music director wore too much of this stuff to the annoyance of the orchestra members. This fragrance has not aged well. It is too adamant in its impression, and too overbearing in its presence. Kouros does not morph into complexity, but rather remains a strident monolithic stench.

22 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2010)

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Of course this is wonderful, who could claim otherwise?

A shocking start reminds me of train toilet, but it isn`t at all that offputting but more interesting smell to start with.
    Civet loaded musky drydown with a drop of honey is pure heaven, it`s addictive as he*ll. This scent if anything behaves like a drug. Sametime fresh, clean and animalic; it`s amazing achievement.
    Kouros was reformulated few years ago, but luckyly the change was very minimal : Coriander at the top was replaced by wild mint. Otherwise the fragrance has stayed the same from the beginng.

Almost unreal fragrance which should be used very moderatly.

16 September, 2008

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

This is the cologne that best work with my skin. Two spritz and it stays with me the whole day. I've received a lot of compliments wearing this stuff. Kouros transmits power, virility and sensuality. Never have smelled something more sensual than this cologne.

10th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2014)

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

It is one of the most complex (to me) fragrances that I have ever wore. I feel a love/hate dilemma, sort of speaking. I was first introduced to it by a former girlfriend from Haiti, she was very exotic and I think Kouros is just that exotic. There is something primal about it, perhaps is the urine that everyone talks about which does not botter me. Perhaps my nose is not trained enough to distinguish that part of the fragrance. To me is sporty,spicy and "difficult".
    It get a lot of attention and not necessarily always good. I think Kouros must be used with caution and not for long period of time.
    We like it or not, I think this is also a true classic.

09 September, 2008

crunkjuice's avatar

Germany Germany

this is understandable for me! After reading so many guys receiving compliments on this i had to try it! i already have body kouros which i quite like!
    i tried it immediately on my wrist and was prepared to smell something like body kouros just brighter maybe. LOOL u can imagine how i reacted. I almost fell backwards! So strong, cheap and ugly at the same time!! How can u possibly like this and girls even more!?!?! But i was in town so i gave it many minutes alwys sniffing on my wrist excepting t to change. But nothing happened. Even my girlfriend said it was totally nauseating! She was with me that day. on the other wrist i sprayed M7 which i also didnt like. after 30 minutes of shopping i thought: wow sth smells really nice! It wasn Kouros :/
    Then we both came to the conclusion it MUST be the after shave bottle of kouros.It smelled like the cheapest after shave i used from my dad in those days. I went back but was assured it really was the frag bottle....so its not working for me!
    i dont get it how can someone

26 August, 2008

Tony T's avatar

over 40's scent. very strong and too masculine. i could only imagine bodybuilders and wrestlers wearing this kinda scent. definately different and strange. probably the weirdest scent most guys under 30 have ever encountered.

26 August, 2008

MFJ's avatar

I must admit that I used to dislike Kouros and I only started to appreciate it after Basenotes. I still don't find the infamous note unpleasant at all. It is undoubtedly a very strong scent that can easily put people off. Apart from its good longevity and sillage, it has a bitterness to it that I've grown fond of. I find it more smoky than pungent and has mild spiciness that is worth mentioning. Very distinctive and though it can be a little difficult to carry off, it deserves the time needed for appreciation. IMO one of the best powerhouse scents from YSL and there is a reason why this is a hot seller - that one can only understand when there is positive interest.

24 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

mrclmind's avatar

Kouros is anything but boring. It is definitely a classic and one which I have always found quite challenging. This is a scent for me to appreciate but not one which I find immediately appealing. It is obviously a work of great merit. Upon first application I feel a definite gag reflex. It reminds me instantly of public restrooms being cleaned at an airport. One might wonder why anyone would want to smell like this. The magic of this fragrance for me is that when my nose is at my wrist Kouros is disgusting. Yet the sillage itself is actually quite balanced. There is an alchemy which happens in that the aura of the scent is actually quite magnificent and none of the gut wrenching gag notes which I smell up close are present.

Much like a Vagnerian opera can be difficult for a first time listener to enjoy, so does Kouros offer a challenge to many at first smell. It just doesn't smell pretty; yet there is a difference between pretty and beautiful. Kouros is a mighty scent. It is, along with the man who wears it, a definite force to be reckoned with.

18 August, 2008

samplermike's avatar

Clean and sporty. The only cologne you will ever need if you had to choose. Women go crazy for this stuff.

15 August, 2008

dacerace's avatar

Yuck....heavy and synthetic smelling.An ex boss used to wear it at work...you used to think he was always around,....even if he was nowhere near...(maybe it was deliberate!!!) I tried the "fraiche" version...and it smells just as bad....but Body Kouros isn't too bad.

10th August, 2008

LuciusVorenus's avatar

I really loved the first notes, because the urine smell was masked by the citrus. But as the perfume progressed and the middle and basenotes arrived, it was basically urine that I was smelling. It is very difficult to judge this perfume because it is very pleasant in the beginning. But I feel I don't have the guts to wear it in public, because people will think I wet my pants.

09 August, 2008

jalexhrovat's avatar

This was a blind buy for me. I honestly thought that if a fragrance was sooo highly rated, that it must be great. So I bought a small bottle of it and I was quite surprised. This fragrance was created for the European consumer in mind. US consumers hate fragrances that create controversy and aren't quite pleasant or clean. Kouros does indeed smell like urinal cakes by US standards and nothing more. I gave this fragrance an honest try....tried to take the higher route in the sake of art and fragrance, but I can't get past the dirty scents that this fragrance creates. I might not be sophisticated enough to appreciate this fragrance, but perception is everything....and the perception I've received from this fragrance is that I smell like an airline bathroom or like urinal cakes. My wife even makes fun of me if I try to wear this fragrance by calling it the urinal cake fragrance.

The US market is just note "sophisticated" enough for this one. Maybe if I was a little more seasoned in the field of fragrances I could appreciate it, but it certainly isn't for me.

Sorry....Thumbs down.

08 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2009)

ToughCool's avatar

I have to add my 2 cents just to be part of the crowd. I wore this in the 80s as a teen and that was just because people wore it then. I really don't get woodsy. I don't get anything but the same scent....and I tried it for kicks the other day, 20 years later...powdery, old, urine type smell. I'm not here to be mean. I'm not copying and pasting some reviews but it is there. It is a linear, powdery mess that reminds me of a school dance. I can't believe out of all 80s scents out there to love, many people chose this stuff. When I change my daughters diaper and then apply talc, this is what I get.

06 August, 2008

MacTukaTa's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

This is my absolute favourite! What more can I say - this is the most masculine scent I've ever smelled.
    I can only compare it with Aramis Classic, which is the other fragrance that I adore.
    But KOUROS is my No. 1 and I hope it will be always in production.
    This is the signature scent of a real, genuine man!

"Fashion Fades, Style is Eternal."

25 July, 2008

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

It's not all bad... but there is something about it that makes me vomit. If you stick your nose in an urinal, you'll smell Kouros. Dreadful! I can't imagine how this is YSL's best selling fragrance...

24 July, 2008

Shade's avatar

Since knowing of Kouros' existence, I've owned several bottles, all of which came in the same dark shade blue box, until recently ( a different shade blue) and from my latest experience with the scent, I have come to love Kouros. Here's the theory:

The first few bottles I bought were from an old outlet store, so the bottles probably were sitting there for a long time. The scent at first was nice, but as so many people point out, the civet is almost-most unbearable. You want to love it but that animal smell just ruins everything. I've been through the love-hate relationship, loving at first, then selling the bottle on ebay because I couldn't handle smelling like a racoon.

Recently I was at Holt Renfrew and came across Kouros and the box which had a different bluish shade. I was curious. Sure enough, the civet is gone. According to the individual working the counter, that god-awful stink is no more; she has found the scent to be updated - probably to attract more people to it...after all the other versions have been taken off the market. So depending on when it was made, you'll be sure to know the difference and actually come to love and respect YSL for its creation of Kouros. This is the way Kouros should have been made from the start.

If you come across even a gift set, it will be an updated scent. Since my newly found love for the updated scent, I bought one for my brother and sure enough - NO CIVET. Everything else about Kouros is the same - thank goodness!!! Kouros haters - give it a shot...you wont be dissapointed. No more smelling like a racoon.

The lasting power is the same - I spray one shot on and its there for at least 12 hours. Go to the YSL website to get the details of the scent. Even by viewing the promotion for Kouros, YSL has made something with potential into something great....a powerhouse.

By the way - thank you YSL for updating this great scent.

15 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2008)

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Kouros....nice name, nice bottle, awesome brand. This fragance have excellent longevity and projection.....Its clean, but unclean. Smells very synthetic.....awful product.....Apologies Yves Saint Laurent, but Im honest. Nothing more to say....Rive Gauche is the option if you want a very nice fragance.

05 July, 2008

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

http://www.ysl-parfums.com/gb/index.html: a chypre, spicy harmony with coriander, clove, oakmoss and ambergris. There's a note in Kouros that's always captivated me, but I can't pinpoint it. Probably just the combination of the lot. Perhaps the ambergris. But there's also that nasty note that often makes me feel hot and bothered. The ambergris is more pronounced in Kouros Fraicheur, but the insistent pineapple note spoils it a bit for me. Ever since it took me captive in the 80s, I've been in an out on bail, but now I'm again toying with the idea of getting a bottle of Kouros. No suspended sentence possible with this one.

02 July, 2008

Big_Scooter's avatar

I can appreciate this scent as imaginative, intriguing, and complex but as far as personal fragrances are concerned, I think one would be better suited by hanging 4-5 of those pine tree shaped air fresheners around your neck.

This is a beautiful refinement of the smell of a urinal cake, and if that is what YSL was trying for it was a remarkable success. Kouros gets a neutral rating for being of excellent quality, but having no real use as a personal fragrance. IMHO.

01st July, 2008

jonnyt's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

You can't sit on the wall with this one, you either love it or hate it.
    Whilst I would never wear it as I find the musky civet note suffocating, I can appreciate that it is amongst the best of the big 80's fragrances and I'm secretly jealous of men that can pull it off.

25 June, 2008

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

I don't know what note is it in the opening but I hated it from the start, washed it off immediately, I really am surprised at its popularity, I love Body Kouros BTW, as it is a completely different type of perfume.

24 June, 2008

runstile's avatar

Tested this the other day at Perfumania, where the SA (who likes BLV Bulgari and other light scents) was repulsed. I don't care, she was also repulsed by Shalimar and many other great feminine scents. I happened to love this one. I won't bother listing the notes, but it is oddly fresh and spicy at the same time. I think it is the florals that keep me coming back, I love geranium. For some reason it conjures up vivid feelings of nostalgia; to me, this is the most important part of fragrance. I think I remember smelling it on my dentist? Not sure, but I will buy a bottle soon enough!

29 May, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Another love it or hate it frag.... I love it. I love it because, after reading reviews in many places, I absolutely cannot smell the urinal cake accord people talk about. This smells great and works very well with my skin. One of the lucky ones I suppose.

26 May, 2008

Bigsly's avatar

I envision a futuristic world, like the bubble-domed one in Logan's Run, where Kouros is sold in a novelty store, situated between the rubber chicken and the fake vomit. Or perhaps it will be in a museum, and visitors will be able to actually get a whiff of it, if they dare! By that time, public restrooms will smell much better than they do now (in most nations).

Kouros is a powerful, long-lasting, sickly chemical scent that features no subtlety and no development (on my skin, at least). Keep in mind that I'm not some twenty-something aquatic guy. I like Vermeil, actually, which I'd recommend to anyone who likes this kind of frag over Kouros (it's got powerful animalic notes and also that "fake clean" quality). Or Ungaro II, if you can find it at a reasonable price. I also like Carlo Corinto once in a while, which features strong leather and dark amber notes.

I recently tried Brut (before trying Kouros) and that is similar, in that you get a strong, long-lasting sickly chemical scent that has no subtlety and doesn't develop. It's amazing that these two fragrances are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, in terms of price and prestige. I can only image that if you sweat profusely, somehow Kouros will develop into something that is remotely tolerable. I'd also warn you that this kind of fragrance can cause your sense of smell to change, as Sung Homme did to me. Now I have such sensitivity that I usually can only stand one spray of an EDT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it saves me a lot of money, though I don't appreciate the stronger fragrances the way I used to (when I really liked Vermeil and had to wear it once a week).

15 May, 2008

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Well, nobody has said to me yet that I smell “dirty” although I wear Kouros quite often (maybe, I meet exclusively polite people;-). On the contrary, mainly I hear “it smells somehow… chemical, like some purification’s liquid”; but that’s OK, I don’t even expect from the people around me to “understand” Kouros. I reconciled to that long time ago and I wear it just because of my own pleasure.
    At first, the animalistic part of the scent is ably covert; But, after some time it becomes very significant. Kouros is just like a successful first date. At the beginning you are quite polite. Gradually, you become loose… And, at the end, it is right time for the animalistic part of you to show up… in bed… or somewhere else, immaterial.
    You can find in this one clove, cedarwood, mace, oakmoss and (my favorite) civet, but one note is extremely important here and I want to say something about it. Here is the story…
    There is an interesting religious custom in one part of the orthodox world. Namely, people set fire some incense and with it they go through the whole house/apartment. They do that on days of the greatest saints. People believe that, with this ritual, they drive the devil out from their living space.
    It was Sunday and a saint Nicola’s day. I was in my room with a bit of Kouros on my arm. Suddenly, I felt that some smell came into my room and I thought mechanically “Hey, why the whole apartment smells just like my arm!?”. Naturally, it was a smell of burned incense.
    Several days after that, I splash some Kouros on my arm and I asked my parents: “Does this smell remind you of something?”.
    They didn’t have any dilemma: ”Of incense, assuredly”.
    If the devil utters a wish to come into my life I would wear Kouros… just in case.

15 May, 2008

krmarich's avatar

YSL at its best! This is a "manly" mans scent. Not for the fient hearted. I purchased my first bottle in 1986. Ever since that day, it is my signature. On that note, lets deal with the negative reviews. "Fecal notes" and "urinal cake" seem to show up often. These reviewers need to have their noses checked. Either they are smelling it from the bottle, have the wrong body chemistry, or have simply not tried it. It is different, which is what makes it so popular worldwide.
    Kouros-pronounced "Coo-ros", not "caress", is one of the most misunderstrood of men's scents. It is strong and unforgettable, with and opening notes that scares most users, including myself, if I am not in the mood. Bay laurel, artemesia, and bergamot mix effectively, and open like an opera, with clashing cymbals and loud choruses. After 20 minutes, the real production begins with cinnamon, carnation, geranium, and jasmine that gives off sillage that lasts all day! Usually carnation is bitter, but not here. The jasmine gives it the mystery. The wearer becomes like a "censer" bearing exotic incense. All of this, while maintaining, a clean, youthful appeal.
    Then the best effect of this masterpiece comes the drydown, which lasts over 24 hours! Vetiver/amber, patcholi/musk, leather/honey and the final note of ambargris leaves one remembering the night before, lost loves, and other beautiful memories of a lifetime of use.
    Overall, this scent conveys passion and strengths that are hard to duplicate. Virility and male sexuality, not in "gay" sense. My situation with that is how can something so masculine attract "gays"? Wearing it, I always get ladies come up to me smiling and asking for the time. It is a classic love potion in this sense. For bei ng so popular, I can honestly say, I have never smelled it on another man, That is good! Its not for everyone, just me, I will add selfishly!

23 April, 2008