Reviews of L'Anarchiste by Caron

Find out more about L'Anarchiste by Caron in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Anarchiste opens with a bold accord of lime, aldehydes, herbs (mint, basil too?) and sour citrus notes on a classic earthy-mossy base of oak moss, tobacco, vetiver, a few spices among which cloves and cinnamon and a subtle floral note. Herbs and citrus are however the most prominent characters here, with a metallic, youngster soul, sour and zesty personality - not exactly merely "fresh", though; it's more a sort of almost industrial-medicinal spicy-herbal mood, the citrus-green notes are processed in a way that they provide more bitterness than freshness. An interesting fragrance, and probably pleasant for people who like this kind of notes; for everyone else (me included) it can soon smell a bit cloying and boring.

6,5-7/10

28 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

I honestly can't understand what all this outrage and revulsion is about. Blood? Nope. "Rusty bucket?" Nada. Copper? Only on the bottle. Certainly not the Antichrist, a zombie, or even vampire juice.

After all the hoopla, what I smell is a very pleasant, well-made woody scent with a good deal of sweet citrus on top and a politely musky base. The orange top note is lightly "mentholated" by cedar leaves, and I suppose if my imagination were much more vivid I might say it smelled like cough syrup, or metal, or something more exotic and disturbing than citrus and cedar sap.

At any rate, the sweet orange and cedar soon blend with some softer, sweeter woods and a generous dash of cinnamon to make a smooth, spicy accord that persists for a couple of hours before the musky-woody drydown sets in. This accord strikes me as quite suave and sophisticated - good for the fashionable, cultured urbanite who's always perfectly accessorized.

L'Anarchiste is really very nice, versatile, and easy to wear, and hardly all that weird. The only real fault I find in it is that doesn't last as long as it could, which strikes me as odd coming from a house that's bred such marathoners as The Third Man and Yatagan.

19 June, 2014

Longwei's avatar

Poland Poland

I'm always trying to get hold of some niche, extraordinary and unusual fragrances, but the Anarchist delivered more than I bargained for.

The name is pretty well justified. It's definitely anti-establishment and unorthodox. But I'd give it yet another name - freakin Steam-Punk Goth.

Imagine a warm but gloomy evening in a XIX century London. A man comes out of a barber shop. He's kind of well-dressed and obviously just got groomed, but upon closer examination you find out that the barber shop looks quite dodgy. And what's this shady, littered alley btw? Oh, f.... that wasn't your friendly neighbourhood gay barber - that's Sweeney Todd's shop.

And the man - he lives somewhere under the London street, in a place neither sun nor wind ever reach. He's a mad engineer dwelling in the shadows of some abandoned tube station. His suit isn't dirty, but it hasn't actually been washed in years.It's just that its sociopathic owner barely ever puts it on. Most of the time it's just hanging there, deep under ground, soaking in some coppery fumes and the smell of grease that covers all the gears and clockwork monstrosities around.

That's how it smells to me. Intriguing it is, but I would never wear it in public. No way I am doing any office test with it. Damn, I couldn't even bear it on my wrist for more than half an hour - had to scrub it away.

If you want and dare to smell it, I'll bring the sample vial to you. Otherwise, it's been locked and hidden away, in a dark damp place where it belongs.

08 June, 2014

Mr. Nosenaught's avatar

Ye Gawd! Received a sample of this liquification earlier today in the mail. The only time in close to one hundred first- time scent samplings that I literally had to stop drool from spilling out of my mouth within 2 seconds of application. Now, I won't go further to say it's anywhere near the best scent I've ever beheld, because that would be a fattened up lie, but the smell is extremely unique. In fact, I'm enjoying Sybaris scent on the other arm far more after a whole hour. BUT.... I sure haven't lurched back to order a larger bottle of a seemingly dwindling supply of Sybaris, but I damn sure already firm mindedly sought out a large bottle of what looks like a thinning supply of L' Anarchist. Like others have mentioned, blood & metal. This smells like wading in a shallow pool of cinnamon and human blood within a room made of brass. My best guess is the strong cinnamon was the culprit for my immediate drool response. But one may never know, might have been the blood. Plainly visceral.

29 April, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Based on the reviews here (which, like many I read before sampling a fragrance) you would have thought "blood! vampire/goth scent!". There is nothing of the kind here! The mint in the opening does give it a metallic tinge when combined perhaps with the earthy vétiver notes. But what I do get is the "apple + cinnamon" vibe, which is in fact more of a spicy type of orange scent, and this predominates.

I especially like the dry down, as musk comes from the base and settles on the skin, still a little fresh and spicy though. In a word, definitely unique. Am not sure how much of a crowd pleaser this might be as people won't be smelling anything similar like it. But, it is fresh and original... so well done to Caron for showing that not all 21st century fragrances have to conform to bland and banal so-called "trends" in the market. Try it for something different.

21st November, 2013

noideawhatimsaying's avatar

Smells like spicy Big Red gum upon the opening, with a nice dry musk afterwords. Very wearable for the Fall.

20th April, 2013

FragranceFan255's avatar

Metallic? Maybe somehow, someway.
    Apple pie? I do get apple out of it, but not pie.
    Blood? Where that came from I can't even imagine.

There's definitely an accord smelling of apple in the opening. But it’s not the bright 'jolly rancher' apple you get out of Kenneth Cole Reaction. It's truer to the source material for better or worse. Worse because I'm not especially fond of apples. The apple shares in an accord of two other notes. Vodka and mint. Sorta like you had some cocktail of apples spiked in 160 proof spirits and laced with green mint. Maybe it’s just a reaction with the alcohol (vodka note?), but it is what it is to my nose. But its by no means unpleasant, only vaguely synthetic, and if you like apples you'll probably like it. After few minutes L’Anarchiste begins to exude a smell akin to camphor with a touch of citrus peel. I’ll take a stab at guessing the camphor odor comes from the guaic wood.

Drying further down I start to get the smell of the cedar and cinnamon and a bit of sandalwood with a hefty dose of musk. No vetiver is obvious to me.
    The cologne continues like this for a few hours and begins to fade down to a musky skin scent.

All the oft mentioned comparisons aside, this is a rather unique cologne and can appreciate that it isn’t a run of the mill rehash of something else as many designers are prone to produce. It’s not weird, just different than most. I like the stuff, but I’m not sure I’ll ever love it. It isn't cold. It has character, but it feels disassociated from me. A few more tries before I can settle that. Try before you buy I’d say.

03 December, 2012

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I love L'Anarchiste. I would indeed say i am a fond of Caron. When i wear L'Anarchiste? Anytime, and i mosty wear it in the heat. It´s comfortable one and i have no complaint about it. When i look to the pyramid above i do only igree about the orange leaves. For me this scent is all about orange leaves and florals. As the time goes by it mellows to something more soapy or powdery but don't take this to the generic side of nowadays scents. Its more soapy. I don´t understand what would be metallic, bloody or apple smell. I can´t get it. Also i can add that L'Anarchiste resemble a mix of hot tea of cloves and honey with little cinnamon. None of these are listed in the pyramid, but believe me, it smells like.

19 August, 2012

Data1001's avatar

Love this stuff. The keyword for me in describing L'Anarchiste would be "evolution", because one's true appreciation for the fragrance comes as it ages while wearing it. Upon first application, it's surely different, and not unpleasant, but even after just 5 minutes, it transforms into something bold and completely unique. I'm not sure anyone around me appreciates it as much as I appreciate smelling it on myself, but I would hope that's the case.

A big fan of the copper-painted bottle, too -- only problem is that it's very difficult to tell how empty it is. I don't hear too much splashing when I shake the bottle, so it's probably time to buy another one. ;-)

31st May, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron - Upon application, one is treated to an impressive, citric accord. Mandarin, with its sweet, orange-like facet commingles with orange blossom, with its lovely floral and creamy sweetness, as well as a camphoraceous, indolic, orangey neroli. This citrus melange interplays with a metallic, mineral concoction of musty iron and acrid, fireworks-like, burnt gunpowder. This somewhat odd opening drifts to the heart. Here, wonderfully warm spices, to wit, cinnamon, with its spicy semi-sweetness, nutmeg, with its subtle, cinnamon-like spiciness, cardamon with its aromatic spicy, nutty and anise character, as well as clove, with its earthy spiciness, intermingle with menthol from cedar leaves. This enticing minty coolness interplays nicely with the warm spices, and encases the intriguing opening. A woody undercurrent of dry, cedar shavings and creamy sandalwood carry the exotic melange to the mollifying base. Here, a somewhat powdery, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, teams up with the green, yet clean, earthiness of vetiver to foster a sedate drydown. This well-blended and interestingly distinctive composition has average projection and longevity.

30th May, 2012

ericrico's avatar

Great reviews here - awesome "story" by PsychoTommy, alfarom (precise as always), and Gilgamesh2003 sums up whatever was missing. And, an honorable mention to Foetidus - who I think gives a totally summation of both notes and how I feel about the Caron house as well...true admiration of their audacity!

Here is the scent pyramid offered -

Top notes are african orange flower and mint
    Middle notes are vetyver, sandalwood, guaiac wood and virginia cedar
    Base note is musk

I really like the bright metal-tinged orange flower/neroli note on top that is sparkling with the mint accent. This stays for a while for me...at least the first 20 minutes or more on the back of my hand and is even more alive on fabric! Very key here to spray L'Anarchiste on both skin (liberally) and a few sprays on your shirt. My sleeve is really nice now...showing the top notes after applying about 30 minutes ago (PsychoTommy is right - the slightly medicinal mint stays on fabric!). This, to me, is not a beast for projection - but an "aura scent". Apply, let it warm up and you have a nice radiant scent fragrant that surrounds you - a couple feet or so away (this will not tell people across a room what you are wearing). If you walk by, someone of taste - and isn't too shy - should definitely ask what it is you're wearing, though!!

The heart definitely warms up to copper-tinged wood accord - not traditional "woody". Mind you, the mint is still alive on your arm, but a "green" wood accord that I get from a fresh vetiver (clean, not earthy)-infused cedar and sandalwood. This is where the scent evolves overall into something awesome - the heart & drydown. The "spice" I get is from what I perceive to be a cinnamon stick accord (not grated - as that would be louder and dustier). No, the imagery I'm getting here is likeable to a heated copper pot of soaked wood chips (cedar, guaiac, and sandalwood) being stirred by a cinnamon stick. The fresh vetiver root is very rinsed & washed off and a few strands of root are tossed in...offering a greenness to the whole composition. Not dominant, but a key note the keeps the green mint on top through the heart and base.

That is the picture I get. No blood. No vampires. But, a simply stunning flacon!

The freshness remains on my clothes at over an hour! The musk is a just off-white musk here...not totally clean, but almost. The musk note is lifted, but also offers a touch more warmth on the base, which true "white musk" will not offer. I love white musk in my "fresh scents" and notice the difference here. Definitely not a heavy musk, though.

To the House of Caron - you have some audacious taste! And, well, if it isn't for everyone, you never cared about that any way. Richard Fraysse, the perfumier, has given us a chance to try something so unique here. This is true art, to me. Like Eau de Reglisse (another brilliant creation from Caron and truly unisex) - there is a passion that is poured into this bottle, not just mass-marketed juice. This is not for the mainstream, which makes me like it that much more. A "niche", masculine fragrance from a larger house...and one that strikes me as simply great! Overall score - 8.5+/10. I offer my admiration and gratitude. Cheers!

16 March, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

One of the most intriguing fragrances that I have ever come across.

A dominant cinnamon smell mixed with some sort of metallic note, resembling the copper bottle (which I have seem some people associating with blood, since we have iron in our erythrocytes)that projects and lasts a very long time. A must try for any man who wants to smell a fabulous creation that sadly went to underground side of fragrances.

Oh, and despite I cannot see the resemblance with blood, I can see the associations with toothpaste at the end of this fragrance, since I can smell a minty aroma in the air.

21st August, 2011

PsychoTommy's avatar

Hungary Hungary

I am usually attracted to - and fascinated by - controversial scents so naturally I became quite curious about Caron's L'Anarchiste after having read all the buzz about it online. I also intended to buy it blind - not that I had a choice, as Caron products are practically non-existent in Hungary, not even in better-equipped perfumeries have they heard about the brand. Today, my girlfriend completely surprised me with a 100 ml bottle straight from Amazon, and I decided to review it as critically as possible, and try to go mythbuster on the buzzwords "smells like blood", "vampire juice", "gunmetal" and "unwearable".

First of all: the packaging and presentation are striking. I pulled the box out from a Burger King paper bag in our kitchen (it was shoved in next to a couple of burgers as part of the surprise), and I literally stopped mid-movement when I looked at how elegant and well-executed the stuff looks like. The paper, the type-setting, the embossed Artaud quotation in the inner sleeve, not to mention the bottle itself - even more expensive perfumes have never given me that impression. I literally felt like I was coming out of an expensive luxury boutique with the box in my hand. Two thumbs up!

About the scent - I agree that a lot of the reviewers overdo the myth a bit. The first whiff initially struck me as aggressive, in-your-face and crispy, but nothing unbearable. It reminded me a bit of old-school Italian after shaves I used to smell as a kid, a little bit like Malizia or Pino Silvestre. Citrusy, fresh, a little off-beat, but at the heart really unique. The green, crispy notes started to subside almost immediately, and after five minutes or so, the stuff started to work, leaving the orange (which indeed does smell like apple a bit) - and the menthol. Something about the menthol note: maybe I am unaccustomed to it in perfumes (I only use Le Male that has any in it), but for me this thing RADIATES it. Especially on clothes - it's been hours, and the menthol note simply does not leave, even though I'm at the base notes now!

After the top notes have gone, it's interesting to see how the scent gets warmer and warmer, and also more spicy - though the cinnamon note is really subtle and well-blended, so it's not as in-your-face as I thought it would be. I think that's the contrast between the hot and icy notes that most reviewers describe as "disturbing", and although there certainly is a metallic tinge, it reminds me of cold aluminium or iron instead of "blood", "gunmetal" or "rust". It's also almost imperceptible, along with the distinct but well-blended "wood smoke" characteristic - if you look for it, it's pretty much there, but it doesn't stand out at all. It's also too weird and still not sweet enough to be called gourmand. I definitely don't percept it as "apple pie filling", let alone anything edible. This is also the darkest, most "predatory" phase of the juice.

Base notes are slightly musky and have a good measure of cinnamon - and still the menthol - it has a cool, fresh, slightly metallic quality, verging on floral a bit, I can't help thinking about black tea leaves. It's also a bit powdery and definitely dry, but maybe the powder's just my imagination.

I have yet to test it tomorrow for longevity as my nose is getting overwhelmed with the scent, but my girlfriend keeps on telling me how all our three rooms plus the kitchen smells of me wearing this (with all windows open), so the sillage must be insane. I keep losing tracks of scents after a couple of hours when testing, but here I can still distinctly feel it everywhere, I think it's somewhere on the level of Le Male's strength.

What's true about L'Anarchiste is that it's truly a one-of-a-kind scent, there's nothing around that resembles it. I still think that it's not the most rebellious one - though certainly bold - and anyone with a little out-of-line attitude can pull it off with little difficulty (okay, maybe it's just me, so test it first if you can). It's certainly classy, playful and a little-bit two-faced - an excellent brew!

(I'm going to update in the next few days after I'm through with street testing :))

26 July, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Most of the latest reformulations that Caron made on many great perfumes of their past have been a total disappointment. L'Anarchiste was included in the list but it (somehow) survived to the massacre. In fact, despite beeing reformulated, it still mantain some charm. A fresh opening with a spicy (cinnamon) and slightly metallic apple note joined by mint and a little vetiver (clean interpretation) and laying on a solid woody base. A fantastic, multi-faceted everydays scent that fears no seasons. Buy it before they change the amazing bottle design and the juice and then rename it as "Le Conformist Sport".

21st April, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2012)

Agoniste's avatar

I've owned a bottle of l'Anarchiste for about 3 years now. I pull it out every once in a while and wear it for a day, especially when the weather is cold. It is an interesting scent. I'd even recommend buying it, if it sounds like your thing. But - astute readers saw a but coming, and there is one - it is not a really well constructed scent.

Don't get me wrong, there's some sophisticated fragrance chemistry. On me the basic accord is a very juicy candied orange/mint rum punch. In and out of that waft the famous blood or gunmetal or whatever notes every so often, and the whole contraption conceals a really bosso enormous musk basenote quite cunningly.

Yes, it's quite a construction. But it falls short - at least on me and anyone whose body chemistry I can imagine - of blending into the skin in any way at all. It always smells like you're wearing something. That's what a really well constructed cologne does. That's what Caron's storied men's fragrances, PuH, Yatagan and 3eme Homme, do.

So, by all means, buy it. It's great for a particular kind of Christmas party. But if you're going to buy all the Caron men's fragrances (you should) I would buy this fourth.

29 January, 2011

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Incredible – a fizzy, rich cinnamon resting on a base of spices and musk. Simultaneously warm and cool – it has an icy, almost metallic edge that leavens the heat of the cinnamon. Somewhere in there is a trace of mint. Gorgeous and well-blended, and the bottle is a monolithic masterpiece.

I think of this as a more refined, grown-up alternative to the popular synthetic gourmands like A*Men (not that A*Men is bad). Distinctive and elegant. It shares some unidentifiable note with the relatively obscure Captain by Molyneux, though Anarchiste is a MUCH better and more sophisticated fragrance.

27 January, 2011

Backtable's avatar

Dullah, thanks for alluding to Creed's Baie De Genievre, as this is also one of my favorite colognes, and having just received a bottle of L'Anarchiste, I'm ecstatic. Yes, it has a spiced accord throughout but not overly sweet. In fact it reminds me also somewhat of Bogart's Witness, only much better formulated. A cool, spicy and to my nose reserved dry down that no doubt isn't for everyone, but still I love this stuff. Blood? No. Metallic? Maybe. Certainly unique.

07 October, 2010

moss1310's avatar

L'Anarchiste gets a lot of buzz, so I was very eager to try it. I'm glad that I traded for a sample and didn't do a blind buy. I agree with all comments about spiced apples and cheap potpourri. I also imagine one of those inexpensive scented candles that you can buy at any dollar store in the U.S. Maybe this one would be called "Christmas Celebration" or "Holiday Spice". Surprisingly generic and fairly linear on my skin.

23 June, 2010

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Smells like ...nothing? Cake where the baker forgot the salt? The bottle is unique, copper, very original.

20th March, 2010

Zeppelindays's avatar

I bought this blind after all of the reviews that I read, and all I can say is wow! Like the previous few posters, I don't get all the "dark" comments about this scent. To me, its a very bright, invigorating orange scent that reminds of an orange spice teabag (that is exactly what is smells like in fact, given the fact that its very powdery and dry). What I like about L'Anarchiste is that you can apply very generously, and it will never become cloying. Projection and longevity are also very good. If you want to get away from the boring mainstream fragrances and want something more unique, L'Anarchiste does it for me. If you want something that's safe but at the same time will get you noticed, this is the way to go. Maybe 1 out of 100 people will find this very pleasing scent to be offensive.

14 February, 2010

Ascensia's avatar

My husband tried L'Anarchiste. Before going to an extreme two hour yoga/Pilates workout. He had me smell it after reading BN reviews and I said, "Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom! But something... metallic and sharp But it smells good."

His reaction was, "It's kind of weird, but not over the top." Then he went to shower to get the scent off before class. In this case, it was nearly as powerful after the shower as before. Caron's colognes (he also owns Yatagan as well as Caron pour Homme) appear to have remarkable longevity and distinctive personalities.

As time went on, the spices became more pronounced, more like cloves. He had me smell it again after the class. It had an edginess, a pleasant olfactory kick. But suddenly, my stomach lurched. I liked the scent, but my body had a pronounced visceral reaction. It was sickened by L'Anarchiste. The sensation was too strange to describe.

He intends to give it one more try, this time on freshly washed skin. Perhaps the sweat from the class brought out notes that made it smell...strangely animalic? All I can say is that I like the smell but it makes my body intensely nauseous. And it also smells very similar to Floris' Cefiro. But Cefiro does not sicken my gut.

01st February, 2010

manicboy's avatar

Smells like potpourri. Cheap potpourri, that is. On paper, I thought this would be fantastic – mandarin, cloves, musk, cedar. On skin, I get a blast of sour apple baked in cloves with a faint musk. Where is the blood, I say? Dull as dishwater, and Caron’s weakest masculine. Also, reminds me a bit of Boss Bottled (Grey box) which I got bored quickly with too. If you want some edge, stick with Yatagan. Exquisite box and gas-can/tombstone save this from being a total bust, but you can only enjoy the packaging so much.

28 January, 2010

jrntnlead's avatar

The second I first smelled this one I let out a whoop of joy. Very few scents have elicited that instant sense of “bingo!”.

L'Anarchiste is a complex scent, and changes with ambient temperature, humidity, and elevation. Most often, I smell a wonderfully rich, slightly (not cloyingly) sweet baked apple, orange, and mixture of cinnamon and other spices overlaying a lightly mentholated ceder and vetiver. Other times, it is a more animalic in undertone, with an overlay of dry spice that progresses straight to a sharper vetiver.

It can be worn year around, but I think it is at its best as a winter scent. It evokes the winter holidays, that period of time between Thanksgiving and New Year's, when one might wear a nice comfortable sweater, and be enjoying a lot of freshly baked pies with family.

I dont smell blood. I dont smell copper. I also dont smell Cool Water (which I despise), which is what it was compared to in the Turin/Sanchez book.

For me, there are some common elements with eau de Caron Fraiche, but that is a much lighter, zesty lemon take on somewhat similar ceder-vetiver theme.

17 January, 2010

Redbeard's avatar

A decidedly anarchistic brew, because it seems not to care for the rules and expectations of masculine perfumery. It starts out as sharp honeyed wood with a little orange peel, plus a lot of wintergreen, which always takes me by surprise and which I generally don't like. To this note do I attribute the metallic "bloodiness" that others describe. It makes the copper bottle rather apt. I also feel my usual association of wintergreen with an extremely harsh, crude shampoo smell. There's probably a little anise or fennel in there as well, again to my chagrin. After a while, the metal begins to get more sour and less sweet as it weakens. The cheapo Stetson Sierra that I recently reviewed has a lot of this sweet metal, and I missed the resemblance at the time, but now it's surprisingly clear to me. The effect reminds me of artificial sweeteners, with their characteristically metallic edges that ruin the taste for me. The whole production weakens quite a bit as it dries down.

Honestly, I just don't think L'Anarchiste smells "good enough" to me, for me to wear it, though I'm admittedly biased against some of the notes. I feel like it's so odd in its composition that it has to put forth a continuous effort to stubbornly remain as unique as it is. It just becomes forceful overkill...it's a big, rough-hewn, unyielding block of smell, whereas other scents are curved and polished, moving pieces with interesting shapes, regardless of how heavy or light they are. Still, quite an intriguing blend.

19 December, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I agree with SirSlarty that Spiced apple sauce is what this evokes more than anything. It's hardly what I would consider an Anarchist's scent. This is more of a gourmand sans vanilla. A very pleasant mixture of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and juicy, tart fruits, with a dry cedar tempering any sweetness to keep it from being cloying in any way at all. i would recommend any fan of Creed's Baie De Genievre test this and see if it's not too modern for them, as i assume it won't be. Overall a very unique and naturally appealing spicy scent that does not overly rely on wood and sweetness to anchor it's spice.

It is also another wonder that pleases equally in almost all weather conditions. And has excellent longevity, projection, and sillage on top of that. i am not sure what element[s] in L'Anarchiste give it such excellent diffusiveness across all it's notes, but I really commend Caron for this achievement. While I have respect for nearly their entire line, this one is the most contemprary and accessible, which is strange given it's title.

If this were unknown to the perfume world, and were released in 2010 with a different name and more accessible packaging, it could easily fetch upwards of $1/ml at retail. Another one of the few scents which I will always keep a bottle of in my wardrobe.

30th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

JaimeB's avatar

This is far from the usual, pretty much on the edge at the very outset. Later it tames down a little, and winds up smelling creamy and elegant. An anarchist in youth that has come to the finer things of life later on? The early phase does have much of the firebrand about it; the drydown speaks of maturity, but definitely not of disenchantment or resignation, with a bit of powdery musk still showing the nonconformist edge. The bottle I have was a gift from a friend of excellent taste, but it was not brand new when I received it. On my skin it doesn't fulfill its reputation for longevity, but perhaps the bottle is old enough for the juice to have gone off a bit. I can always spray a little more to keep it going... and I do think it's worth keeping it going!

04 September, 2009

Excelsior's avatar

This is a very sweet foody fragrance, reminiscent of an apple crumble at high-class bakery. Not the most anarchistic thing I've ever smelled, clearly. On my skin its not particularly dynamic, but what's there I like a lot. It manages to be sweet without being cloying, tart without being astringent and is just overall a good scent. Not much longevity but good while it lasts.

12 June, 2009

sacha's avatar

Germany Germany

at first it smells like medicine on my skin .. a medicine of happiness i've recovered by now!
    it really smells like the first days of december .. i can tell: i was born 11th december - and it recalls childhood memories! at least in my case!
    it seems to be "my" fragrance!
    warm, very spicy, different, enchanting, ..
    even the flacon is a piece of art: it changes its looks during its use, due to its covering of copper!
    let us call this fragrance: a piece of art!
    definitely unique!

20th May, 2009

Kaern's avatar

I have always liked this, but don't really want a bucket of it -- have only ever seen that huge almost organic copper bottle. It's a good name for the scent beacuse even though the notes seem innocuous enough, they all get in a ring and have a battle, especially the fruit, woods and vetiver. The orange blossom is a lovely rendition (not all are) --- oh enough -- the overall feeling is hard to explain, you just have to try it like all good empiricists.

24 April, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Caron L'Anarchiste

It was early in my exploration of scents that I tried the Caron "masculine holy trinity" of pour Un Homme, Le 3me Homme, and Yatagan. They were all excellent scents on me. It took a little while longer for me to try L'Anarchiste. Richard Fraysse created L'Anarchiste in 2000 and it is encased in a striking copper bottle designed by Serge Mansau. This is one of those cases where everyone involved artistically on this should be pleased. The top notes are orange in the form of mandarin which quickly are joined by the clean lines of cedar. As this prgresses into the heart the orange becomes lighter and sandalwood joins the cedar to add a creaminess to the wood and to soften some of the edges that cedar brings to this scent. The woods stick around as a plush musk takes over and then the edge returns in the form of vetiver to round out the base. L'Anarchiste fits easily into the trio of Caron men's scents that came before. L'anarchiste falls closer to Yatagan than to either Le 3me Homme or pour Un Homme but really has its own unique place on the Caron spectrum. Looks like the "holy trinity" just gained a fourth.

11th April, 2009