Reviews of L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I tend not to wear this very much but that doesn't diminish the quality of this scent. With Dior's Cologne and Allure Homme Sport Cologne being recent additions to my wardrobe, L'Eau D'Issey has moved down in the rotation. Though every time I put it on I am reminded at how unique it is and the performance is way above average for a freshie.
24th March, 2017
If you love citrus, this may be the cologne for you. It's like getting hit with a citrus truck. It smells the way eating a citrus fruit rind tastes. The experience of spraying this is actually very comparable to biting into an unpeeled grapefruit like you'd bite into an apple or pear. Harsh and sharp, but either the harshness fades or I just get used to it. Despite its harshness, I don't hate it. It's not pleasant or unpleasant, the way dish soap is usually not pleasant or unpleasant. On someone else's skin it could work. But it strikes me as an opening a lot of people would have a negative reaction to, and it's at least a little overbearing on bare skin (it's pleasant enough under your shirt or if you do the mist-walk through method).

This cologne is, in a word, opinionated. It's loud and unapologetic, a lot like that one friend everyone has who is only tolerable in small doses. Then again, that friend doesn't overwhelm *everyone*, so I guess this scent is like that. It's definitely interesting, and I get the feeling that it's one that can grow on you.

If you're neutral on citrus like I am, DEFINITELY give this one a miss.
17th February, 2017 (last edited: 18th February, 2017)
Vile artificial headache in a bottle. One of only three fragrances that have ever induced immediate nauseous reactions on me. More power to you if you can pull this one off, but alas I'll admire the bottle from afar.
08th February, 2017

Was okay in the nineties when I was a student, but would only consider it as bathroom freshener (a poor performing synthetic smell). Don't wear if you are looking for compliments there are so many better alternatives for the money.
14th January, 2017
This smells like rotten tacos. Do you enjoy industrial fumes? Burning plastic? Riding behind a trash truck on a hot summer day in a convertible, a sebring convertible? If so or your a mad scientiest this is your cologne. It reeks like overbearing chemical smell just plain terrible.
02nd January, 2017
L'Eau d'Issey has grown on me over the past decade. At first, it used to give me headaches! I discounted it outright.

But I have come to appreciate this living legend's well-crafted composition. Even with so MANY notes in the fragrance triangle, L'Eau d'Issey comes across as simple, clean, fresh, energetic, and comforting. But there are individual notes that I love that play a strong supporting role in the overall effect: Yuzu, verbena, cinnamon, amber, coriander, saffron....such a well-choreographed dance of wonderful elements!

BIG thumbs up! ;^>
28th December, 2016
I had high hopes for this. Hopes. This is listed as a high-ranking aquatic in said genre, but all I smell is hot garbage.
Wear this if you plan on attending a funeral- with all the flowers, senior relatives, and the deceased of course, you will fit right in. Not good and not for sharing.
15th December, 2016
When I first sprayed the cologne on my wrists it smelled like burning plastic. It stayed that way for an hour. The fragrance after an hour was okay. But in a way it was too heavy. Have not had a pleasant experience with this cologne. My co-workers like it though. Everyone has a different opinion.

24th August, 2016
Holiday scents #4 - l'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme

I tried this at the same point (i.e. on holiday) last year to no good effect, due to zero performance and lack of discernible notes. The scentsamples web site, after a certain spend, will send you a free sample of something they think you will like given your purchase history. Good for them, but I wonder how they could possibly abstract LDPH from Black Aoud, Interlude, and l'Air du Desert Marocain? Anyway, this is what they sent, so I took the summer holiday as an opportunity to re-test.

This time it does better - but not by much. Bare skin evidences fly-repellant, hidden body areas something more akin to stale sweat. The attractiveness of the scent improves over time to an acceptable form of citrus, but by the four-hour mark, just as there is the hint of redemption, it's more or less gone. To emphasise, this is not a generic problem; it's just that there are legions of scents out there that fulfil LDPH's aims better, and at any price point you care to name. Apart from the solid Nuit d'Issey, I find the line's popularity unaccountable.
08th August, 2016
This is an interesting fragrance- the difference between smelling it on the scent strip vs. on my skin.

On a scent strip:
Initially it is a very tart citrus. This scent remains the same throughout the 3 hour mark and well into 6-10 hours.

On my skin:
When I spray it on me it becomes more of a sweet citrus (orange scent). The scent is between an orange peel and the scent inside an orange.

The frag changes slightly after 30-45 minutes. It smells the same as before but adds a slight orange tart scent. That overall scent is pretty linear throughout the entire lifespan of the fragrance.

This scent is best for summer days and projects within arms length and lasts roughly 6 hours. That is with 2 sprays. For me it is at arms length for about 1-2 hours and then it retreats back to my skin. After that I can only smell it. I can see if you over spray- it can get a little intense for others.
07th August, 2016
There was AdG and then there was Issey Miyake Pour Homme. These were the two heavy hitters at the time and still to this day people love them. IMPH is known for the combination of Yuzu and florals combined with an aquatic element. Still one of the best summer fragrances ever made and should be at least worn a few times by anyone that calls themselves a fragrance lover.
01st June, 2016
I still find this scent to be spectacular. Well constructed and balanced. This juice has good longevity and projection. Spring and summer wear. This was my first Yuzu scent and it does not disappoint. Now that prices have come down considerably I would strongly suggest buying a bottle. I have noticed that there has been a slight reformulation in my current bottle but it is still amazing. Enjoy!
23rd May, 2016
it is what it is. Like One Million and Joop! before it, you know a scent is iconic when its equally hated and adored. I didnt know until I started reading negative posts about it, on blogs many yrs ago, that ANYONE with two brain cells, disliked this stuff, lol.

But I understand folks have opinions. I totally get it. And the negative opinions about this scent, actually motivated me to do some research on which notes were responsible for the MANY dislikes. Some people, like me, LOVE citrus focused scents. And some do not. It really is that simple.

even tho' Miyake's people have thrown a million notes in it, its fundamentally a well structured, albeit, EXTREMELY synthetic creation. But Im a firm believer, that was completely by design. I think Miyake tried very hard to make us understand, not every single thing needs to smell organic, to smell very nice.

And he proved it. This is one of the more versatile scents out there...a number of well known celebs and athletes, happen to love it. And there are just as many professonial everyday people, who swear by it, too. This is that scent that you will smell more than anything else in your work environment.

No, its not groundbreaking. And the Earth didnt move when I first wore it. But while many are running around looking for a very affordable citrus juice that lasts all day (as I have, in the past), my search came to a very abrupt end, when I settled on this, Eau De New York, Boucheron Pour Homme and a more recent purchase, Yuzu Fou/Parfum d`Empire.

Safe to say, I dont need another citrus frag' for the remainder of my life, on this planet.
26th April, 2016

CMac17 Show all reviews
Right away, I got a smack of citrus with a hint of green, which, as cheesy as it sounds, caught me off guard. It was my first time properly smelling this, and I exclaimed "wow!" I let it sit for a little bit, and then reassessed. I can sort of understand where some of the strong negative commentary comes from. If I let my mind wander while smelling this fragrance, I can eventually end up thinking about the blue water in those nasty port-a-potties. Gross. However, after ruminating on this fragrance for a little bit longer, I decided that I like it. It seems different enough from other fragrances today to make it noticeable in a good way. I got compliments from my friends on it, and it had a nice amount of sillage; not too much, not too little. It's been a few hours since I've sprayed, and it has settled into a nice blue aquatic scent, keeping it's fresh character all the way through the dry down. Worth the buy? I think so.

7.5/10
26th December, 2015
My god, this is one putrid sweet/sharp smell of cat urine in a disturbing bottle.

Absolutely the worst fragrance I have ever tested.
30th October, 2015
Reminds me of ADG but with more depth.
24th September, 2015
Not as horrible as the woman version but in the same veine.

An old fashioned stink bomb.

Stay away from me!

15th August, 2015
This is a true masterpiece.this is a cologne that is purely springtime summertime.this cold is a benchmark is clean fresh and crisp this particular fragrance would go excellent with a cotten linen crepe suit.
17th June, 2015
Here we are in front of a concept of perfumery. Perhaps many people do not understand what I mean to say, but surely if the reader had the ability to use his nose as his ears he would understand this mystery.

There is a perfume, Eau Dynamisante (1987), whose Nose has created without any market scheme, and this one is a great work of Jacques Courtin.

Currently I can consider this scent more creative than 90% of Niche fragrances.

This fragrance introduces a new concept of unisex elegance! Magnificent, considering when it was launched, a link between past and future.
If this perfume were music it would play as the Elegy of Rachmaninov!

Using the same elegance accord after 7 years we have another masterpiece, L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme (1994) whose Nose, Jacques Cavallier, created with Japanese citron and mandarin playing with geranium and vetiver.

There are three ingredients really interesting, the ones which give originality to this perfume: cinnamon, verbena and sandalwood!

The character of this fragrance is certainly less pompous than the Clarins one, abandoning all connections with the past giving up the power of flowers.

If this fragrance were music would be a topic of Turandot by Giacomo Puccini shooting from Elegy of Rachmaninov.

Now we have a perfume by Hermes, ten years later! In this one we have only elegance without originality,Terre d'Hermès (2006). Here Jean-Claude Ellena used grapefruit and orange playing with geranium and vetiver.

There are three ingredients really interesting which trivialize this perfume: pepper, patchouli and benzoin.

If this perfume were music? It would be a child who is learning to play!

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

07th June, 2015
Salutation.

Again,a MESTERPIECE to MR CAVALLIER AND ISSEY MIYAKE.one of the best aquatic fragrance.it is a great composed citrus and woody smell.nothing heavy or feminine.

The top notes is usual with really strong citrus but...but wait because the middle/base notes are great.that makes you feel positive.This lovely aquatic with ACQUA DI GIO are the best aquatic in my collecction.

perfect for almost any occassion but i recommend for a young man in office and then intimate.indisputable suitable for hot weather.longevity?on my skin it is really EXCELLENT.

7.5/10
11th May, 2015
It's been done before.....

Tried a sample for a day. Citrus on the top, woods below. Got that a already. Nothing terrible, but certainly nothing ground breaking that I need to add to my fragrance collection. HoHum packaging. Next......?
13th March, 2015 (last edited: 16th March, 2015)
A very lacklustre aquatic with a metallic sweetness about it. Again, it's hard to believe that Jacques Cavallier is the nose- goes to show that the marriage of the house and the perfumer is not always harmonious. I vastly prefer Acqua di Gio over this one, though apparently this one has a better longevity. But I like good longevity and performance from fragrances that smell good, not the rotten ones. Perhaps I don't get along well with the note of Yuzu, but I have a fair degree of tolerance and acceptance when it comes to others in similar territory, such as Yuzu Man. This one is an absolutely redundant non-entity.
15th February, 2015
Sour, cloying, synthetic bug-spray/insect-repellent (mixed with CK-One).
This scent can be found in the camping section of any store for around $8.00 USD.
Maybe both will protect you against mosquitos.
11th February, 2015
This scent starts off on a citrus note and gradually
evolves into a woody note. On a good day L'Eau
d'Issey pour Homme will make you happy. Many say
it's a crowd pleaser, but I sometimes don't find this
cologne fascinating. I got it as a gift, otherwise i would
have chosen Acqua di Gio or Terre d'Hermes.
But yet it's a well constructed scent.
28th January, 2015
This is an appealing fragrance to most people who encounter it. I took a sample home with me to try it out and found that I must be an anomaly in this regard. It projected well, but lasted only about 2 hours on my skin. It came across to me as being a bit too generic and I tossed my sample in the reject drawer for the time being. I will re-examine it later once I have exhausted the rest of my list of fragrances I would like to try.
10th January, 2015
Fresh Yuzu citrus top notes with some woods on backround that last forever....
I think thats the most longlasting fresh scent around.
Top seller for a reason!
04th October, 2014
Living in the Caribbean, the hot, humid climates tend for a person to look for a cologne that is refreshing and aquatic in nature but that has a nice smell to it. L'eau D'issey (issey Miyake) Cologne is just that. You feel the refreshing top notes burst, a blend of citrus and spice. Than after awhile you feel the lower notes of amber, musk and woods kick in. I was surprised that living in such a hot tropical climate that the scent would last, but it does. I guess that depends on each person's skin care whether you have dry or moist skin. Another key is to always use your pulse points for maximum sillage. The perfume obviously diffuses well around me since I get plenty of complements about the cologne scent. Overall, I gave it a thumbs up because depending on the many factors mentioned, it is a great scent. Nevertheless, there are other great aquatic scents out there that are less expensive than Issey Miyake.
30th September, 2014
I really tried to like this one. It had a middle note that was nausiating to me. The longevity was excellent and the silliage was decent. Not for me. I don't mind a short wiff here and there, but don't want this scent stuck on me all day.
12th September, 2014
Slightly synthetic citrus on the opening curtain dries down to orgasmic white musk ecstasy. 5 out of 5
09th August, 2014
I really enjoy wearing Issey Miyake Pour Homme. It is my go to summer scent. I layer it with Molecule 01 and it is a great combination. Has a very lemony smell and you can detect the yuzu note. I t projects like a beast in the hot summer days. lasts for ages on the skin, I would say about 7-8 hours and this is incredable for a aquatic scent. This is definatly a crowd pleaser and will definetly turn heads.
05th August, 2014