Reviews of Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Find out more about Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClarkScent's avatar

One of the most unique scents in my collection. Smells oddly futuristic even though it's getting close to 30 years old. Fruity but still has a brain. The bottle looks like space shuttle debris.

05 May, 2014

SCENTMASTER "OG"'s avatar

EXCELLENT BLUE COLLAR WORK SCENT,EXTREME LONGEVITY EVEN IF YOUR SWEATING IN THE SUMMER MONTHS,LAST ALL DAY AND THEN SOME...

23 April, 2014

MrMookie's avatar

Machisimo

Wow after 21 years got it again! and it was again as i remembered ...SOOoooo good!
    What a GEM!

This is the 1million of the 80's (sort of)

Im enchanted by its masculine and warm sweet scent.
    Its a pleasant smell for others too im confident to say that because i encountered in these past 3 days almost 10 people giving me compliments on my sillage this has never happened to me these days!

As i have to admit im not a sweet scent lover at all im more a green, darkwoody,spicy

powerhouse kind a guy.

It stays on your body like a hug! if you wear it under your clothes sprayed in your chest and armpits, one spritz one you palm for direct sniffing :-)

Think of
    A handsome, confident italian man in his 30's driving along the boulevard on his vespa with a red dressed italian bella donna on his backseat she's holding him tight as they ride towards a nice evening full of joy and making nice memories... now imagine what they will leaving as a sillage/trail when you walk past them... i imagine this scent!
    Its also feminine in a masculine way (sounds odd but hey this smell is odd)

I got many compliments these days so im truly confident that this Eau de Toilette does a great thing on others too. (maybe my skin chemistry)
    If you are fed up with most common frags these days and if you like scents like Kouros,Opium,Jaipur, Givenchy Pi and Ungaro III try this for sure!
    Its good price and even better value.

Great projection and sillage especially in first hour.

After that a warmer drydown with cosy scents ending in a beeswax smell.
    Not a green scent!
    Its oriental meets italian gangsters and bella donna's

Pros: Very opulent sweet and handsome
    Cons: Dont overspray"

28 August, 2013

rybot's avatar

Blind buy after reading plenty of positive feedback on Basenotes. Great fragrance. Reminiscent of Michael Kors for Men and Sung Homme. Spicy pineapple, tons of rose and honey. Projection and longevity are great. A winner in my books, I'm very glad I purchased! I'm turning 30 this year and do not find this scent to be too mature for someone my age or even younger, however, confidence is required to wear this. If you stop wearing a fragrance because someone makes a negative comment then Lapidus pour Homme is not for you.

18 April, 2013

Tony T's avatar

80's powerhouse. very vegetal tones. no pineapple or honey. very animalistic that lasts forever. not to my liking but i do appreciate what the chemists objective was.

17 March, 2013

Bobster's avatar

This fragrance needs no introduction but if I had to give it one it would be MASTERPIECE. All fragrances wish they had the cahoona's of Lapidus Pour Homme.
    10+ Projection 10+ Longevity 10+ Overall scent. I'm not kidding it's that good. Now I have to say this is a type of fragrance that grows on you. When I first tested it I was not a huge fan but the more you wear it the more you fall in love with it. It's like going on a first date. At first your checking things out seeing if you really like that person and not quite sure yet but the initial date got you interested in one more then that one more turns into 11 more and then before you know it your walking down the isle. You get the picture. If you tried this once and didn't like it give it acouple more tries cause I believe you will fall in love with it.

10th March, 2013

hadrian's avatar

Romania Romania

I just cannot imagine the very existence of a perfume lover (not to mention a collector) who does not appreciate that gem! A truly classic!
    Pineapple on top, honey and patchouli for the rest of your day. The 80s gave us good rock music, a happy end in the Cold War and... another very precious juice, nowadays at a ridicolous price! Enjoy with no efforts on the trigger: three shots - neck/left side, chest and wrist - will certainly signal your presence everywhere. (And SHE will smile at you!)
    A must have & must try. Overall, a genuine 8,5/10

18 January, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

This is another one of those back in the day frags I wore when I didn't know better. But This stuff is strong and cloying. The longevity is a beast. Too bad the scent isn't!

28 September, 2012

Freschi's avatar

I own the 1987 vintage as well as the new reformulated one. IMO the '87 version is more complex and smells more traditional 80's. If you're a big fan then get the vintage because you will notice the difference straight away. The smell of Lapidus is potent it's full of vibe, character and excitement - that's the kind of positive feedback i normally get from the opposite sex.

01st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

PsychoTommy's avatar

Hungary Hungary

I've just bought it blind after a couple of weeks of online research. I'm a regular user of Kouros and Salvador Dali PH, and I was expecting something similar after reading the reviews, but it doesn't even come close. (On a theoretical level, it does, both being very '80s - but technically, it's totally different.)

BUT! Ever since I've put it on, I've had a nagging feeling that it reminds me of something, which seemed funny, as I could swear I've never smelled anything like it before. And then it struck me - this juice is SO VERY EFFING SIMILAR to Caron's L'Anarchiste (of which I'm also a big fan and regular user), that I've been laughing loud ever since I realised it! When I first tried L'Anarchiste, it was instant love for the first sniff, as I considered it truly unique with its minty-spicy-metallic fruit note, resembling nothing else on the market. Now it turns out it has a daddy, and it's called Lapidus Pour Homme! The similarity is so striking, I just can't believe it! The only difference is that there's pineapple in this instead of oranges, and pipe tobacco instead of mint, but the rest - the woods, spices and most prominently, the patchouli, even the smokiness - are spot-on the same! Amazing! Can anybody else confirm this? Did nobody else ever notice? O_O

I can't give a more detailed breakdown about the scent, the sillage and the longevity now, as I've just started rocking this thing, but I'll get back to you after I've had some more experience with this - and after getting over the shock that one of my adorably unique perfumes from the 2000s was indeed made up in the '80s! :)

01st August, 2012

RobbieX's avatar

Luxorious and lovely fragrance. Honey, patchouli and spices. There's a bit of a "Kouros" note in there too. Lasts ages and sillage is awesome. A classic!

27 February, 2012

Safetyjon's avatar

Every so often, I try a fragrance that is completely incompatible with...me. That would aptly describe LpH. I blind-bought it based on BN reviews, and I regret it. From the first spray I knew. There was no gray area. I find it to be repulsive and synthetic. It may be the worst fragrance I have ever bought. I now know that I despise pineapple-based fragrances.

01st January, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Hi there guys. Grandpa is here!
    I'm going to die soon and I'm going to give my fragrance formula to you! lol
    Just kidding!
    This is a very good classic fragrance.
    The box and the bottle are completely normal and there is nothing special about them.
    The price is very good and cheap. But does it smell cheap too?
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    Start with strong notes of citrus and patchouli and a bit of pineapple that make it a little sweet.
    Dry down appears about an hour later. The citrus is gone, patchouli is much weaker and pineapple and great jasmine and rose dominate here. It's a very good scent. Because of pineapple it's sweet but not too much!
    Projection?! Like a nuclear bomb!
    Longevity?! Until the end of the world and great battle of Armageddon!
    This is a very good fragrance guys. There is nothing ground breaking here but it's a great classic fragrance and I like it.

09 November, 2011

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Ladies and gentlemen: the 1980’s. In full effect.

This I would like to call budget avant-garde. Lapidus Pour Homme sure is weird. First of all the opening: it has been suggested this is akin to opening a can of pineapple slices. Not so dramatic or crude. No doubt it is fruity but it is more about an idea of fruit. Also I would call Lapidus Pour Homme metallic at times, but not the grating metallic-amber vibe that 90% of current scents seem to push in everybody’s face but a damp metal overgrown with moss. Disgusting? Not so, since it’s counterbalanced by a very pleasing sweetness.

Lapidus Pour Homme is super strong and the atomizer sprays a large amount resulting in true sillage. The “just one spray for me” crowd will faint just by being in the same room as a bottle of Lapidus Pour Homme. This is the quintessential powerhouse: extravert, adventurous and complex. Perfect for occasions when you want radiate a certain stylish, slightly vulgar “I don’t care” attitude. And because Ted Lapidus never has been a flashy house, specializing in well-made affordable scents, they never had to reformulate/weaken it. Consequently Lapidus Pour Homme remains a monument to this extravagant and brilliant period of male fragrance.

07 April, 2011

santino's avatar

This is jarring. I have made several attempts to try and get this fragrance. But no avail. I bought this blind after reading positive reviews and tenacity of this fragrance on the skin. I get rose flavored tobacco along the lines of the olfactory mayhem. That illusion makes me momentarily happy. But apart from that, this is absolutely unwearable. This remains the only power house fragrance which I positively dislike. (I like Salvador Dali PH too) Having said that, I can imagine some people may like this for novelty reasons. It is not a stinker but VERY VERY VERY heady. Aroma is not the word that comes to mind when thinking of Lapidus. Instead, the most perfect word is ASSAULT.

My final words: Blind buyers beware. Sample this first. Seriously!

20th March, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I do not get the pineapple opening at all, a fruity opening yes, but pineapple?, no way.
    The pyramid here is obvioously incomplete, right at the opening the bitter herbal artemisia makes a strong appearance that lasts all the way to the heart, not as strong as the artemisia in Sashka Black, but probably the second strongest artemisia perfume in my book, and artemisia been my favorite note, I do not complain. Hints of patchouli are detected at the opening and it becomes stronger and stronger as the perfume develops.
    At the heart, pine comes to the forefront, pine and artemisia would knock your socks off, but it is masterly balanced with a strong, sweet honey note wonderfully escorted by flowery rose, jasmine and lilly of the valley and a more agressive patchouli. At drydown it becomes powdery and woodier and definitely a patchouli dominated fragrance.
    This is IMO a herbal/grassy scent in which artemisia gets it going, pine plays a nice supporting role, and patchouli does the grand finale going from a fruity opening to a sweet floral heart to end in a sweet woody drydown (sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss sweetened with amber, musk and coumarin) with a dominant patchouli note beautifully backed by tobacco flower.
    If this is not a masterpiece, I do not know what a masterpiece is. It is perfectly balanced perfume, it is a play in the herbaceous theme accompanied by a symphony of notes that keeps changing throughout the whole composition.
    I do not have enough thumbs to give credit to this beauty, so 2 thumbs up is all it gets.

20th March, 2011

ArthurFerreira's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Fragrance very well done, very masculine. One of the best entries among the fragrance I tested. On the effervescent entry I can feel perfectly pineapple. After a few minutes the fragrance begins to show his more masculine and sensual, like a scented pheromones adding for your aura. Excellent value for money. Great sillage and longevity.

12 February, 2011

MOONB's avatar

Budget fragrances of 2011 are generally crumby. You've got your Cool Water flankers, your Gwen Stefani L.A.M.B. celeb nothings, your Claiborne disasters, your latest Curve in the road, all synthetic-smelling, aquatic, chemical florals and musks. We can't do cheapies with any dignity these days.

It seems that back in the '80s, even lower-shelf offerings had quality, character, and panache. Take Lapidus pour Homme, for instance. From 1987, this fragrance can be had for $12 online, and back in the day wasn't all that pricey, either. Today it's not only a cheapie, but it's out of style and almost entirely forgotten by men of a certain age. Which is a shame, because it's a masterpiece of perfumery.

Lapidus opens with a smooth but forceful burst of sugary pineapple and not much else. It's an opening I've never encountered before, and what is surprising here isn't just the choice of fruit, but how realistic it smells. It doesn't have a chemical opacity to it. Instead, it feels like I opened a can of Mott's pineapple juice and splashed it on my chest. It is transparent, light, and sweet. It settles on skin with a hint of lemon/orange, and seems to recede for a few minutes before letting the heart open up. Once the top subsides, the honey, backed by a not-so-subtle incense and rose, emerges with startling clarity. The pineapple never actually disappears, but hangs on in the periphery, complimenting the darkness of the honey and rose. Gradually, the rose becomes stronger, and is edged by a deep, spiced jasmine that reaches a breathtaking apex, and Lapidus is suddenly a full-fledged floral, albeit a very masculine one. Note separation is effortless here; for a downmarket offering, Lapidus never lets me forget that it's a Parisian perfume with a solid track record. I get each note with ease. Yet the fragrance as a whole maintains a congruence and beauty that I have yet to see in many pricier perfumes.

After a couple hours, Lapidus brightens - the hints of clove, the darkness of the honey, and the dankness of the rose grow lighter and airier, becoming a bit soapy and free. The sweetness, initially introduced by pineapple, continues, and cements this particular fragrance as categorically sweet in its entire evolution. I can't help but feel similarities to Kouros here, but without the civet, and with a patchouli and rose heart. Both Kouros and Lapidus share a honey accord, although in the former the sweetness brings darkness, while in the latter it offers levity. To anyone who believes that price is directly correlative to quality, let Lapidus stand as a conscientious objector - it is brilliantly conceived and executed, utterly wearable, and truly invaluable to any perfume lover's collection.

29 January, 2011

Swanky's avatar

One spray to the chest and the panther was uncaged, hissing, running around the room and almost unrecognizably frenzied. This lasted for over an hour. I thought I might have to call Animal Services for a tranquilizer dart.

Eventually this beast brought down its heart rate and I could see its form more clearly. The only fragrance that I even remotely think of when wearing this is JPG Fleur Du Male and only in the powdery floral commonality. Lapidus is a powerhouse without peer for sure and a very weird one at that. Those niche lovers who prefer the uniqueness and avant-garde possibilities in fragrance would do well to check this out. This is a love-or-hate scent, and for the first hour I can understand both sides of the aisle. Several hours in, though, and this turns into a masculine masterpiece.

If you are tired of weak, thin and transparent designer fragrances and are searching for strip-the-chrome-from-a-trailer-hitch power and sillage, beat a quick path to Lapidus Pour Homme. Just don't leave the house for an hour and you'll be fine.

14 October, 2010

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

This is awful. This was a blind buy as it is cheap. I tried it several times to no avail. This is a true stinker!

26 September, 2010

Elias Saif's avatar

Bangladesh Bangladesh

I went to shop to buy a perfume and the shopkeeper showed me this..I liked it but the price was quite cheap and I was worried about how long it would last. The shopkeeper told me to trust him and go for it. I also thought to give it a try. After five hours I entered a room and a beautiful lady asked me what did put on because it smells really nice.
    I loving it too. I was shocked to find that it stays more than 24 hours on clothes.

18 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2010)

Zerby's avatar

My brother gave me his bottle back in '95 along w/ Balenciaga pour homme. I couldn't tell the 2 apart by smell. I will buy again. Go easy on the stuff or you'll clear the room.

11th May, 2010

SirScent's avatar

I tried so hard to like Lapidus. The nice, grey bottle. The initial impression of the scent. But it wears so strong and is so powdery. I just can't get through the powder. Sweet perfume powder the hits the nostrils over and over again. The powder aroma just doesn''t quit. Headache on the way...

20th March, 2010

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Agree with the Gentlemen who said strong opening. The drydown is unreal, very powerfull and faceted. Best frangrance for a cold day. Best frangrance for smokers.Lasting-power is about 5 hours on my skin, 24 hours on clothes.

18 March, 2010

Hartman Design's avatar

Sweet and fruity (...pineapple? OK, I'll go along with that) opening salvo that quickly gives way to strong chypre notes and a wonderfully lasting and potent patchouli and moss drydown. The really nice thing about LpH is the lingering sweetness of the opening blast that remains well past the point in other fragrances when top- and middle-notes have faded to memory. I can't stop smelling my wrist, even five hours after moderate application. Great endurance and sillage.

15 March, 2010

Late-Hit's avatar

Wow-eeee! If I was the target of a home invasion and all I had for defense was my fragrance collection, THIS would be my weapon of choice. Only the most criminally deranged could take three blasts and stay conscious.

Imagine the mutant hybrid of Joop! and Kouros. To call it strange, penetrating, and disturbingly persistent is an understatement. Even if you like the fragrance, a tiny amount seems to radiate forever, so handle this one with extreme care or you will be sorry.

14 January, 2010

dm8m's avatar

Philippine Philippine

lapidus pour homme is a good & lasting scent. it's a strong fresh off the shower scent so it's best to use it in moderation. otherwise, you & your companion will get a headache.

10th January, 2010

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

LpH has the strongest opening of all the scents I ever tried in my life, to such a point that I felt upon application that I doused in it unvoluntarily, with the added disgrace that I find the inital notes offputting. Of course, the first time I tried it I simply rejected it without much ado, but retrial made me discover a unique scent in this era of raquitic, squalid and characterless scents.

Top notes are descirbed as pinapple. Albeit listed in the pyramid, I cannot identify these first accords with this note, unless we are dealing with a very sharp, synthetic kind of aromachemical resembling it: to my nose, this feels like a mixture between aniseed and lemon. From then on, it evolves in a flowery way along the top notes, these playing the role of a leitmotiv - jasmine and roses accords are clearly perceptible, soothing LpH's initial boldness and turning it into a scent along the lines of classical accords I found in what used to be femenine scents dating from mid XX century. As a point in case, I recall analogies in this sense betwee TLpH, YSL's Kouros and Balenciaga pour Homme: even thought present time masculines, there are flowery notes mixed with animalic accords I had the chance of identifying in some women's forgotten classics - to be more precise, Schiaparelli's Shocking and Pucci's Vivara.

Of course, for many this would mean Ted Lapidus is dated and "old - lady" like. Not for me, I enjoy this boldness and complexity, so rare to find among contemporary designer and drugstores scents. So, if unsure about this one, play safely: test before buying, not once, but many times.

14 December, 2009

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Wow! This is good stuff, if you like rose and patchouli and honey that is. It reminds me of Acteur from Azzaro though they are not similar at all: they both transport me to India almost instantly. What it is similar to is Calvin by Calvin Klein, another awesome oldie though pricey and hard to find. Calvin is decidedly cleaner and a bit blue, while Lapidus is red, dark red. Lapidus is very strong, manly and deep, perfect for a winter fragrance thats different from the usual fall/winter spice and pine sort.

If you are into sillage and presence, and want something somewhat unique considering current offerings, Lapidus is your frag. The price is very attractive as well.

17 October, 2009

shamu1's avatar

The saying that one should never judge a book by its cover applies equally to fragrances: never judge a perfume by its top notes. If I were to judge every scent by its opening accord, I'd be missing out on gems like Lapidus Pour Homme - the somewhat annoying and misplaced pineapple note in the opening of LPH does not prepare you for the macho Powerhouse Assault that comes later on. If your experience in the world of fragrance is limited mainly to what has been popular for the past ten or fifteen years, Lapidus Pour Homme is going to smell like it's from the planet Saturn. This one is different for sure.

First off, this is superstrong, with sillage and longevity possibly exceeding Kouros'. Though I love this scent, this could be a hard one to wear as a signature scent. You'd have olfactory fatigue all the time if you did.

Most importantly, LpH just smells strange, mysterious, dark and dusky. Chypres typically have a mossy, green-smelling base, but LpH is no typical chypre. Sure, it has a green, mossy base, but this base is a cold, dark green moss, with plenty of earthy patchouli and what smells like dark leather to make the whole effect even duskier. The whole feel of this fragrance is stark, brooding and earthy. I found this fragrance absolutely fascinating.

I give Lapidus Pour Homme two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

09 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2010)