Neutral Reviews of Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Find out more about Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

80's powerhouse. very vegetal tones. no pineapple or honey. very animalistic that lasts forever. not to my liking but i do appreciate what the chemists objective was.

17 March, 2013

PsychoTommy's avatar
    PsychoTommy
    Hungary Hungary

I've just bought it blind after a couple of weeks of online research. I'm a regular user of Kouros and Salvador Dali PH, and I was expecting something similar after reading the reviews, but it doesn't even come close. (On a theoretical level, it does, both being very '80s - but technically, it's totally different.)

BUT! Ever since I've put it on, I've had a nagging feeling that it reminds me of something, which seemed funny, as I could swear I've never smelled anything like it before. And then it struck me - this juice is SO VERY EFFING SIMILAR to Caron's L'Anarchiste (of which I'm also a big fan and regular user), that I've been laughing loud ever since I realised it! When I first tried L'Anarchiste, it was instant love for the first sniff, as I considered it truly unique with its minty-spicy-metallic fruit note, resembling nothing else on the market. Now it turns out it has a daddy, and it's called Lapidus Pour Homme! The similarity is so striking, I just can't believe it! The only difference is that there's pineapple in this instead of oranges, and pipe tobacco instead of mint, but the rest - the woods, spices and most prominently, the patchouli, even the smokiness - are spot-on the same! Amazing! Can anybody else confirm this? Did nobody else ever notice? O_O

I can't give a more detailed breakdown about the scent, the sillage and the longevity now, as I've just started rocking this thing, but I'll get back to you after I've had some more experience with this - and after getting over the shock that one of my adorably unique perfumes from the 2000s was indeed made up in the '80s! :)

01st August, 2012

SirScent's avatar
    SirScent

I tried so hard to like Lapidus. The nice, grey bottle. The initial impression of the scent. But it wears so strong and is so powdery. I just can't get through the powder. Sweet perfume powder the hits the nostrils over and over again. The powder aroma just doesn''t quit. Headache on the way...

20th March, 2010

JonB's avatar
    JonB

This is a nice fragrance well into drydown; lot's of sweet leather, but getting there is a confused mess. The opening is too overbearing; too strong. What is pineapple doing in this frag, it doesn't add anything positive. If you can apply it and wait a couple of hours, this has nice basenotes.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

robyogi's avatar
    robyogi

The listed notes don't look at all the same, but I swear this smells very much like MPG's Centaure. Very much. It's like a powdery, fuzzy - and after the drydown - softer version of Centaure. Not as crisp, not as sharp, and the black currant note stands out in Centaure. I feel crazy for typing this but to my nose this is like a fall/winter version of Centaure. The overall effect is surprisingly similar. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

And truthfully, I don't see much similarity to Balenciaga Pour Homme, except maybe a whopping spice note they share for a while. Balenciaga though focuses on the incense and honey, and has an amazing drydown. I just don't get that same focus or wonderful drydown here. On me, this is a bit short-lived and more linear.

13 February, 2007

F_Frez's avatar
    F_Frez

Daddy-fragrance... very woody with a flower start. Strong and very long lasting, but it lacks of "happy" or "exotic" notes.

24 November, 2005