Reviews of Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Lapidus pour Homme comes across as a conventional 80s masculine built on a sandalwood-patchouli core, augmented by honey, and embellished with florals (rose) with one key difference: there's a big slap of a fruity pineapple note. The pineapple persists well into the base and only stops being discernible right at the end.

I'm not a fan of fruity sweetness within a traditional classic masculine structure. Hence, Lapidus pour Homme is not for me. Otherwise, it's a decent composition with obvious virility and old school machismo.

Think of it as Aventus, but worn by Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. There you have the complete picture. Now, that would actually be some much-needed redemption for the Creed.

01st July, 2017 (last edited: 02nd July, 2017)
Loud, proud, and definitely old-school.

A time portal back into the days when powerhouse men’s fougere colognes were quite common. Teeming with sweet spice and floral notes, screaming for your attention at the local discotheque!!

Too dated and loud for me.
02nd May, 2017
A very 'different' cologne that no doubt through it's grape-like sweetness mixed with lavender obviously inspired Joop! Homme a few years later.

Lapidus Pour Homme to me smells like a pile of pipe tobacco lightly cased with vanilla.In that pile is some pieces of dry and dusty sandalwood.Sprinkled on that on top of that tobacco/wood pile is a powder of lavender with a heavy grape sweetness(much heavier than Joop! Homme).I remember smelling this a lot in my youth passing through the anchor department stores in the mall or in restaurants with my family.Before the aquatics started creeping in and marketing so heavily in the late 80's/early 90's there was a lot more creativity going on in the fragrance industry and Lapidus Pour Homme was one of them.

So why a neutral rating?
As much as I find the scent of Lapidus to be interesting, it always had an impact of a 'powder bomb'.I would belt out several good sneezes every time I sprayed it on.Until it dried down I felt like my nostrils were coated in a cosmetic powder.I couldn't help but wince and make faces of suffocation like I was trapped in a room with five people applying hairspray all at once.It's pleasant but also very loud.This cologne I'd say proceed with even more caution than Joop! Homme.
30th March, 2017

Zowiee Show all reviews
WOW! It's literally a blast for the opening. STRONG FRAGRANCE. Be careful where you wear it! I love it!
08th March, 2017
Why have I waited 30 years to try this gem? I suppose logistics has a part in this as since I live about 50 miles away from the metropolitan cities that stock Lapidus products. I've also stereotyped this because the bottle is very similar to Balenciaga Pour Homme, of which I'm not a big fan.

Anyways, my first impression is VERY favorable! I'm reminded of red fruit punch Kool-Aid and Yves Saint Laurents Kouros. It's a wonderful mix and quite surprising! The pineapple, honey, rose and sandalwood make for a thoroughly enjoyable scent and on me it's very refreshing!

I'm looking forward to wearing this one much more going forward! At $17.00 USD for a 3.3 oz EDT spray, you really can't lose....
24th January, 2017
An absolute beast. A major league powerhouse scent for sure. And it does it without the heavy notes of most other ph scents. I get rose, honey and pineapple from this, all day long and into day 2 as well. Walk and wave off the first 30 minutes or so with its overbearing and synthetic aspects. At 1 hour its closing in on its true glory and it just keeps getting better from there on out, as it fades ever so slowly into its very best. 1 full spray is plenty, to start with. Don't get button happy and burn out on it, you will miss a great experience.

Incredible bang for the buck as well, as it's quite inexpensive along with being super powerful.
26th October, 2016
Lapidus is wonderful and performance is monstrous! One of the best 80's powerhouse fragrances. So masculine and in your face! I love the dry down and wish they still produced scents like this. Often considered the Aventus of the 1980s - Miami Vice Pour Homme. Simply amazing stuff!
12th August, 2016
This is something that all men would be best to try. Me, I wear it only once in a while. It is so f$%&ing brutal, tenacious and ugly in the first 8 hours, even with one spray. It's almost cartoon.
After 8 hours it has a perfume, so utterly beautiful,it takes my breath away. Blissfully Masculine. Little dabble dooya.
Apparently there are a few reforms. I 'm lucky I guess.
There is an enormous plonk of Buttery Oakmoss in my 1 oz bottle.
07th February, 2016 (last edited: 07th July, 2017)
Good economical stuff, this is. I've got a stable of what I call 'my blue-collar cudgels' that smell great, last a good long time, make me feel good, are quite masculine, and are a great value at around $5/oz. This is one of those.

Linear fruity/boozy is what I get - pineapple, honey, floral, and patchouli? Sure. I don't overthinking these things.

Sashka Black is pretty much a ringer and Vermeil for Men is similar yet with more of a tobacco feel.

Good, but not in the same class as Kouros, BpH, Ungaro I, etc.

I'm 50+, for reference, and own or have owned bottles of all the scents mentioned above.
04th February, 2016
Lapidus Pour Home, such an amazing fragrance. Instantly one of my all-time favorites. From the opening top notes, I am getting the sweetness of pineapples and honey matched with deep woods and soft leathers. For the first few minutes you get a feeling this is too sweet and cloyingly strong (along the lines of Joop or A*Men). However, after about thirty minutes the middle notes set in and this beautiful tone of warm lavender and berries transform and marry perfectly to dark musk, clean leather and gentle spice. And then it begins. The drydown. This masculine beast should be labeled the cheaper, sweeter version of Kuoros, as it releases all of the above notes with such complexity over an extremely long period of time. This magnificent cologne has incredible projection and outstanding sillage. Longevity is well over twelve hours with just 6-8 sprays on the neck, wrists and shoulders. You will smell this on your clothes and coat the next morning. This is for the serious man, a man of his word that means business. Well dressed, intelligent, professional and mature gentleman. In a world full of generic 'sport', 'aqua', 'black' and other 'hip' mainly synthetic scents that only last a couple hours, this is the real deal and nothing being produced today can match or imitate this cologne. It truly is unique and worth every penny.
23rd December, 2015
Like a ghastly specter from your darkest nightmare, this 80's powerhouse has returned from the grave seeking vengeance. I thought I had banished it to the blackness of the abyss for good, but nay, it was only for an epoch. This potent elixir was concocted by the devil himself using the most exotic and forbidden of ingredients. I am reaching the end of my strength, as the madness contained within this dark artifact threaten to consume me. I cannot merely throw this adamantine tonic in the rubbish heap, lest some unwary passerby become transfixed by its lightless glow. No, I must find the courage to look into the bloodshot eyes of insanity, and the strength to master it. A wizard with the cunning to master this beast gains an ally of unspeakable power: the ultimate machismo powerhouse with the prowess to seduce even the purest hearted maidens. I don't know how much longer l can withstand the burden of carrying this pheromone upon my mortal vessel, but until my dying breath, I will give warning to those who dare to face the dark aura: Beware Lapidus Pour Homme!
25th November, 2015
I stumbled upon this cheap, yet quality and powerful spice bomb from the eighties by a comment in a thread called: How do you layer?
There was talk there about layering (well, mixing) Aventus with Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, which was surprisingly nice. Another mixed Aventus with Ted Lapidus Pour Lui, which, according to him was great.
Now: to get to my point: I discovered in this way this gem from the 80's, and noticed it had some notes shared with Aventus.

Aventus fragrance notes:

Heart Notes
Honey, Rose, Jasmine
Base notes
Sandalwood, Patchouli
You see: Pineapple, Rose, Jasmine and Patchouli they have in common.
So I wanted to mix/layer them, and it works out great.
Just apply Lapidus Pour Homme an hour or more before.
Probably on your hair and chest.
Then, after one hour, apply the Aventus on your arms/wrists/neck maybe.
The work together well.
I also tried using this combo:
-Terre d" Hermes kind as a base note on my chest
-TL Pour Homme as a middle note on my hair
-Aventus as a top note on my arms/wrists/neck
Yes, maybe I am crazy, but sometimes one has to try new things, and maybe, maybe by chance one stumbles onto something.
About TL Pour Homme itself:
Very strong flowery presence at first.
Later, after more than an hour, it is more wearable, and smells nice on you.
27th June, 2015
Allow me to begin this review by saying that Ted Lapidus is the Chuck Norris of masculine fragrances. You don't wear Ted Lapidus. Ted wears you and if you show him some regard, he'll wear you well.

This 1987 release is actually the 2nd incarnation of Lapidus coming approximately a decade after the original. To me, this is a variation of Kouros and Balenciaga, but with a dominant pineapple note that permeates all 3 accords. Even the bottle has similarities.
Lapidus Pour Homme has stratospheric sillage and longevity and opens with a kevlar-like accord of citrus, berry and of course pineapple. This is so dense, you could wear it like a protective vest. It has spice in there as well and tilts slightly green from basil. If you're not expecting this, it will be equivalent to a roundhouse kick to the head, Ted Lapidus style. Ted has standing orders to take no prisoners and those orders come directly from Chuck Norris.

In spite of all this, fear not to wear Ted. Ted only gets really rambunctious when you depress the spray nozzle more than 2 times. You also need to stand back away from the sprayer when applying this volatile brew. When I wear Ted, I have my wife stand on a chair, hold the bottle as high as she can and then spray into the air. I wait 3 seconds and then sprint through the mist. I also have permission from Chuck himself to do this.
The heart accord is so full of heavy hitters that I once heard the mafia tried to use Ted Lapidus to knock off a rival. One of the button men made the mistake of trying it first and woke up 2 days later in I.C.U. There was a vase of flowers and a card there for him from Chuck. They promptly went back to using firearms. It was safer.

The base is just as tough as its opening cronies. There's honey and tobacco, amber and patchouli, tonka and musk, moss, sandal, cedar and Chuck knows what else.

I have no choice but to give a thumbs up for Ted Lapidus because I like my thumbs and need them to do reviews in the future. Someone please send a copy of this to Mr. Norris.
01st March, 2015

I only recently discovered LPH. It has been around all the time I have been wearing fragrances. My nose is not sophisticated enough to dissect the components or make a comparison based upon my encyclopaedic knowledge of fragrance. LPH is what I will call "bluntly masculine" It seems to say "I am masculine, end of conversation" it does not strike me as a complex fragrance, it is classically masculine, but in no way dated. I occasionally pick up the aroma of spent fireworks. If you have ever put on a display for your kids, its up there on the manly scale with teaching the little perishers to swim or ride a bike. There you have it, something for the Dads, gets compliments like nothing else I wear.
14th November, 2014
One of the most unique scents in my collection. Smells oddly futuristic even though it's getting close to 30 years old. Fruity but still has a brain. The bottle looks like space shuttle debris.
05th May, 2014
EXCELLENT BLUE COLLAR WORK SCENT,EXTREME LONGEVITY EVEN IF YOUR SWEATING IN THE SUMMER MONTHS,LAST ALL DAY AND THEN SOME...
23rd April, 2014
Machisimo

Wow after 21 years got it again! and it was again as i remembered ...SOOoooo good!
What a GEM!

This is the 1million of the 80's (sort of)

Im enchanted by its masculine and warm sweet scent.
Its a pleasant smell for others too im confident to say that because i encountered in these past 3 days almost 10 people giving me compliments on my sillage this has never happened to me these days!

As i have to admit im not a sweet scent lover at all im more a green, darkwoody,spicy

powerhouse kind a guy.

It stays on your body like a hug! if you wear it under your clothes sprayed in your chest and armpits, one spritz one you palm for direct sniffing :-)

Think of
A handsome, confident italian man in his 30's driving along the boulevard on his vespa with a red dressed italian bella donna on his backseat she's holding him tight as they ride towards a nice evening full of joy and making nice memories... now imagine what they will leaving as a sillage/trail when you walk past them... i imagine this scent!
Its also feminine in a masculine way (sounds odd but hey this smell is odd)

I got many compliments these days so im truly confident that this Eau de Toilette does a great thing on others too. (maybe my skin chemistry)
If you are fed up with most common frags these days and if you like scents like Kouros,Opium,Jaipur, Givenchy Pi and Ungaro III try this for sure!
Its good price and even better value.

Great projection and sillage especially in first hour.

After that a warmer drydown with cosy scents ending in a beeswax smell.
Not a green scent!
Its oriental meets italian gangsters and bella donna's

Pros: Very opulent sweet and handsome
Cons: Dont overspray"

28th August, 2013
Blind buy after reading plenty of positive feedback on Basenotes. Great fragrance. Reminiscent of Michael Kors for Men and Sung Homme. Spicy pineapple, tons of rose and honey. Projection and longevity are great. A winner in my books, I'm very glad I purchased! I'm turning 30 this year and do not find this scent to be too mature for someone my age or even younger, however, confidence is required to wear this. If you stop wearing a fragrance because someone makes a negative comment then Lapidus pour Homme is not for you.
18th April, 2013
Tony T Show all reviews
80's powerhouse. very vegetal tones. no pineapple or honey. very animalistic that lasts forever. not to my liking but i do appreciate what the chemists objective was.
17th March, 2013
This fragrance needs no introduction but if I had to give it one it would be MASTERPIECE. All fragrances wish they had the cahoona's of Lapidus Pour Homme.
10+ Projection 10+ Longevity 10+ Overall scent. I'm not kidding it's that good. Now I have to say this is a type of fragrance that grows on you. When I first tested it I was not a huge fan but the more you wear it the more you fall in love with it. It's like going on a first date. At first your checking things out seeing if you really like that person and not quite sure yet but the initial date got you interested in one more then that one more turns into 11 more and then before you know it your walking down the isle. You get the picture. If you tried this once and didn't like it give it acouple more tries cause I believe you will fall in love with it.
10th March, 2013
I just cannot imagine the very existence of a perfume lover (not to mention a collector) who does not appreciate that gem! A truly classic!
Pineapple on top, honey and patchouli for the rest of your day. The 80s gave us good rock music, a happy end in the Cold War and... another very precious juice, nowadays at a ridicolous price! Enjoy with no efforts on the trigger: three shots - neck/left side, chest and wrist - will certainly signal your presence everywhere. (And SHE will smile at you!)
A must have & must try. Overall, a genuine 8,5/10
18th January, 2013
This is another one of those back in the day frags I wore when I didn't know better. But This stuff is strong and cloying. The longevity is a beast. Too bad the scent isn't!
28th September, 2012
I own the 1987 vintage as well as the new reformulated one. IMO the '87 version is more complex and smells more traditional 80's. If you're a big fan then get the vintage because you will notice the difference straight away. The smell of Lapidus is potent it's full of vibe, character and excitement - that's the kind of positive feedback i normally get from the opposite sex.
01st August, 2012 (last edited: 02nd August, 2012)
I've just bought it blind after a couple of weeks of online research. I'm a regular user of Kouros and Salvador Dali PH, and I was expecting something similar after reading the reviews, but it doesn't even come close. (On a theoretical level, it does, both being very '80s - but technically, it's totally different.)

BUT! Ever since I've put it on, I've had a nagging feeling that it reminds me of something, which seemed funny, as I could swear I've never smelled anything like it before. And then it struck me - this juice is SO VERY EFFING SIMILAR to Caron's L'Anarchiste (of which I'm also a big fan and regular user), that I've been laughing loud ever since I realised it! When I first tried L'Anarchiste, it was instant love for the first sniff, as I considered it truly unique with its minty-spicy-metallic fruit note, resembling nothing else on the market. Now it turns out it has a daddy, and it's called Lapidus Pour Homme! The similarity is so striking, I just can't believe it! The only difference is that there's pineapple in this instead of oranges, and pipe tobacco instead of mint, but the rest - the woods, spices and most prominently, the patchouli, even the smokiness - are spot-on the same! Amazing! Can anybody else confirm this? Did nobody else ever notice? O_O

I can't give a more detailed breakdown about the scent, the sillage and the longevity now, as I've just started rocking this thing, but I'll get back to you after I've had some more experience with this - and after getting over the shock that one of my adorably unique perfumes from the 2000s was indeed made up in the '80s! :)
01st August, 2012
Luxorious and lovely fragrance. Honey, patchouli and spices. There's a bit of a "Kouros" note in there too. Lasts ages and sillage is awesome. A classic!
27th February, 2012
Every so often, I try a fragrance that is completely incompatible with...me. That would aptly describe LpH. I blind-bought it based on BN reviews, and I regret it. From the first spray I knew. There was no gray area. I find it to be repulsive and synthetic. It may be the worst fragrance I have ever bought. I now know that I despise pineapple-based fragrances.
01st January, 2012
Hi there guys. Grandpa is here!
I'm going to die soon and I'm going to give my fragrance formula to you! lol
Just kidding!
This is a very good classic fragrance.
The box and the bottle are completely normal and there is nothing special about them.
The price is very good and cheap. But does it smell cheap too?
Nooooooooooooooo!
Start with strong notes of citrus and patchouli and a bit of pineapple that make it a little sweet.
Dry down appears about an hour later. The citrus is gone, patchouli is much weaker and pineapple and great jasmine and rose dominate here. It's a very good scent. Because of pineapple it's sweet but not too much!
Projection?! Like a nuclear bomb!
Longevity?! Until the end of the world and great battle of Armageddon!
This is a very good fragrance guys. There is nothing ground breaking here but it's a great classic fragrance and I like it.
09th November, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen: the 1980’s. In full effect.

This I would like to call budget avant-garde. Lapidus Pour Homme sure is weird. First of all the opening: it has been suggested this is akin to opening a can of pineapple slices. Not so dramatic or crude. No doubt it is fruity but it is more about an idea of fruit. Also I would call Lapidus Pour Homme metallic at times, but not the grating metallic-amber vibe that 90% of current scents seem to push in everybody’s face but a damp metal overgrown with moss. Disgusting? Not so, since it’s counterbalanced by a very pleasing sweetness.

Lapidus Pour Homme is super strong and the atomizer sprays a large amount resulting in true sillage. The “just one spray for me” crowd will faint just by being in the same room as a bottle of Lapidus Pour Homme. This is the quintessential powerhouse: extravert, adventurous and complex. Perfect for occasions when you want radiate a certain stylish, slightly vulgar “I don’t care” attitude. And because Ted Lapidus never has been a flashy house, specializing in well-made affordable scents, they never had to reformulate/weaken it. Consequently Lapidus Pour Homme remains a monument to this extravagant and brilliant period of male fragrance.
07th April, 2011
This is jarring. I have made several attempts to try and get this fragrance. But no avail. I bought this blind after reading positive reviews and tenacity of this fragrance on the skin. I get rose flavored tobacco along the lines of the olfactory mayhem. That illusion makes me momentarily happy. But apart from that, this is absolutely unwearable. This remains the only power house fragrance which I positively dislike. (I like Salvador Dali PH too) Having said that, I can imagine some people may like this for novelty reasons. It is not a stinker but VERY VERY VERY heady. Aroma is not the word that comes to mind when thinking of Lapidus. Instead, the most perfect word is ASSAULT.

My final words: Blind buyers beware. Sample this first. Seriously!
20th March, 2011
I do not get the pineapple opening at all, a fruity opening yes, but pineapple?, no way.
The pyramid here is obvioously incomplete, right at the opening the bitter herbal artemisia makes a strong appearance that lasts all the way to the heart, not as strong as the artemisia in Sashka Black, but probably the second strongest artemisia perfume in my book, and artemisia been my favorite note, I do not complain. Hints of patchouli are detected at the opening and it becomes stronger and stronger as the perfume develops.
At the heart, pine comes to the forefront, pine and artemisia would knock your socks off, but it is masterly balanced with a strong, sweet honey note wonderfully escorted by flowery rose, jasmine and lilly of the valley and a more agressive patchouli. At drydown it becomes powdery and woodier and definitely a patchouli dominated fragrance.
This is IMO a herbal/grassy scent in which artemisia gets it going, pine plays a nice supporting role, and patchouli does the grand finale going from a fruity opening to a sweet floral heart to end in a sweet woody drydown (sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss sweetened with amber, musk and coumarin) with a dominant patchouli note beautifully backed by tobacco flower.
If this is not a masterpiece, I do not know what a masterpiece is. It is perfectly balanced perfume, it is a play in the herbaceous theme accompanied by a symphony of notes that keeps changing throughout the whole composition.
I do not have enough thumbs to give credit to this beauty, so 2 thumbs up is all it gets.
20th March, 2011