Reviews of Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Find out more about Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

I'm so glad that I finally mustered up the courage to order a sample of this. I am delighted to have sampled it, and I'm planning to get a bottle soon. This fragrance is absolutely enchanting! From my first sniff from the edge of the sample vial lip, I knew I was going to like this fragrance. The pineapple and lemon are immediately recognizable in the opening. If you are not experiencing this, then you're missing a big part of the scent's presentation; I strongly urge you to sniff again! But despite the pineapple and lemon, you can also smell the underlying warmth of flowers with a certain sweetness - the honey! What a beautiful note to add to a fragrance when used judiciously. Its such a familiar and natural way to add sweetness without being synthetic or unimaginative like adding vanilla. Finally, it dries down to a deep, damp, woody base of patchouli and sandalwood. I read that one must love patchouli to enjoy this fragrance. Well, I didn't know that I love patchouli but I guess I do now! This dry-down gives the fragrance an air of sophistication and prestige that relegates it to those instances when you want to walk around like you own the place. This fragrance makes me feel like I'm destined for royalty!!! I love it!

26 August, 2009

AndyCapobianco's avatar

I've tried two Ted Lapidus fragrances, this and "Ted". Ted is still my favorite everyday fragrance. I'm a younger guy and like the lighter sweeter scents more than the typical 80's strong manly ones. Lapidus was a blind purchace, and at first I was pretty dissapointed. I saw the top notes of Lime and Pineapple and was hoping they would be more prevalent. As soon as I sprayed it I thought "I'll never wear this". It smelt too strong and spicy, and I didn't picture anyone else liking it. But I've worn it to work for a week now, and I got a bunch of compliments from some girls and a couple of ladies saying they liked it which was great. since then (a week ago) I started really liking the smell myself, maybe I just got used to it or the strong start, but either way I like it a lot now. It smells great after an hour or so. It has decent lasting power too. This has got me interested in trying out some more "classic" mens 80's frags. I probably won't buy this again, it's nice, but I'd rather try some other fragrances in this style. if I find nothing similar to be better I'd come back to this though

30th June, 2009

dreese's avatar

Very big and loud frag with many elements present at the same time. There seems to be more going on in this than is listed in the notes. The overall mix is a different take on men's scents; a strong mix of old-fashioned masculine sandalwood and leather trying to burst out of a very large garden. Prominent notes seem to balance between lemon/pineapple and sandalwood/leather. Difficult scent to pull off; I think the determining factor in whether this scent works for someone lies in how it mixes with one's body chemistry. Received both compliments and wrinkled noses in response to wearing it.

03 June, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

The fruity notes in this are really cloying. It has a loud cheap overbearing presence. It smells like an old lady's fragrance; really musty and stale I really regret this purchase.

16 May, 2009

scentimus's avatar

I can not believe that pineapple exists in this fragrance- where? First the bottle design looks like something off a Klingon spaceship set. The scent in itself is just as weird it like all those notes are blending together to create some kind of scent I just can't describe - I do think patchouli is in there trying to fight for the foreground..poor pineapple is lost in the vortex.

I can see why that this is the only fragrance know to have come from this pefumer Jacques Konckier obviously he changed his name after this creation or was driven by the country foke with burning torches out the land.

All I can say is please use with caution this is a powerhouse from the 80's and could clear a room with it's sillage!

22 March, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A powerhouse 80s frag that wows me over. Having read all the reviews, I expected this one to be loud, obnoxious and overbearing. Yes, it's loud especially in the complex opening but it turns out to be an outstanding and timeless scent, and never overbearing like a lots of 80s frags tend to be. This one puts many, many recent men releases into shame.

25 February, 2009

JonB's avatar

This is a nice fragrance well into drydown; lot's of sweet leather, but getting there is a confused mess. The opening is too overbearing; too strong. What is pineapple doing in this frag, it doesn't add anything positive. If you can apply it and wait a couple of hours, this has nice basenotes.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

Fruity and spicy in the opening. I like this up front. Outstanding complex: the honey and rose heart notes smooths everything down but the other notes just want to come out and play especially the patchouli. I'd wear this during the spring.

29 June, 2008

varon's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

LAPIDUS,opening is scarry,but easy to get along with.i get a good 10hrs.i like this one.ciao!

14 December, 2007

robyogi's avatar

The listed notes don't look at all the same, but I swear this smells very much like MPG's Centaure. Very much. It's like a powdery, fuzzy - and after the drydown - softer version of Centaure. Not as crisp, not as sharp, and the black currant note stands out in Centaure. I feel crazy for typing this but to my nose this is like a fall/winter version of Centaure. The overall effect is surprisingly similar. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

And truthfully, I don't see much similarity to Balenciaga Pour Homme, except maybe a whopping spice note they share for a while. Balenciaga though focuses on the incense and honey, and has an amazing drydown. I just don't get that same focus or wonderful drydown here. On me, this is a bit short-lived and more linear.

13 February, 2007

Jon_Remy's avatar

Another lovely CLASSIC. Since Balenciaga Pour Homme has been discontinued, this comes in a close second and I wear it quite frequently. Get many compliments. Was at the art museum the other day walking through the exhibits when I smelled this on another man and had to ask what he was wearing. He said Ted Lapidus. I said, I've got that fragrance too. Now I realize how GOOD it smells. Since then, I've gotten numerous compliments whenever I wear it. I only have half of a 1.7-ounce spray bottle of Balenciaga left and a full 1-ounce splash. I will only use that very sparingly and perhaps on occasion to jog my memory of when this exquisite potion was still in production. Lapidus is very similar to Balenciaga and I will wear that instead, even though I think I prefer the Balenciaga just a tad more. I sure wish Balenciaga would bring it back. However, you won't be disappointed with Lapidus if you were a fan of Balenciaga PH.

26 December, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

I'll give this one a "thumbs up", but no thanks to my body chemistry's bizarre interaction with T.L. I love the notes themselves, but WHEW! Talk about a headache in the making for Yours Truly!
    (Yes, pronounced migraines usually ensue after I've been spritzed with this heady stuff, first off.)

Also, its sillage carries for MILES. (This isn't a problem for me, but some don't like it in their own fragrances.)

All that said, I always get oodles of positive comments whenever I DO wear T.L. Still, it's just not worth it for me in light of my body chemistry and its natural aversion to the stuff. Like "Versailles" by Jean Desprez, this potion is definitely tailored for someone else, but not me.

05 September, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

Whenever I've smelled this scent, on anyone, it has always been overbearing! Just being near someone wearing it leaves me with the smell & taste of this wretched cologne for hours. Hideous!

13 March, 2006

F_Frez's avatar

Daddy-fragrance... very woody with a flower start. Strong and very long lasting, but it lacks of "happy" or "exotic" notes.

24 November, 2005

Ronald's avatar

One of my first fragrance-habit purchases due to its cheap price. Wore it occassionally for a month or two, then couldn't stand it any longer. Ended up using the vast majority of the bottle as air freshener, a task to which it is more suited than that of a cologne spray. Avoid.

18 October, 2005

sherlockofsheff's avatar

First time I had it was 10 years ago as a minature. It was a very long lasting fresh smell. I got a 100ml bottle last year, but it didn't wow me as much. There is a sweet note in it which seems a bit out of place, but it is otherwise a very good fragrance.

23 September, 2005

desmondpereira's avatar

A stylish and daring Man's smell; delicious, masculine and very potent - sends me spinning when I wear it and I wish that more bolder men's fragrances like this one will come back in vogue on the commercial market again.

28 September, 2004

The-odor's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Sharp aromatic chypre with notes of spices, leather and patchouli. Reminds of Givenchy Gentleman. Masculine and deep (maybe even heavy) fragrance for colder temps.

22 August, 2003

Russlan's avatar

I have a sample of it for ages, but never had enough strength to force myself to wear it.

09 December, 2002