Negative Reviews of Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Find out more about Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ktbrooke's avatar
    ktbrooke

A classic scent destroyed by reformulation

Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male was a masterpiece of simplicity and design. Some people thought it was a victim of its own success but popularity was never due to hype or marketing, rather it was down to one simple and fundamental truth (often forgotten in fragrance world), Le Male just smelled so bloody wonderful.

Le Male was never a complex scent, just a perfectly balance of duality - its intense vanilla dry down tempered beautifully by mint and a hint of lavender. It was also renowned for its projection and longevity across the board, something rare with so many different and subjective reactions to fragrances.

So it's with a heavy heart that I inform the reader that Le Male has, most likely, been reformulated as a shadow of its former self. I've purchased 5 bottles over the past six months, all from reputable sources and they have all inspired contempt and frustration. The new formulation has dropped the heavy vanilla dry down in favor of something more subtle. It's not unpleasant but it's far less sweet than the original formulation and seems a little more powdery. It has also become far less potent. In fact, I'd go so far to say that its projection is weak. It stays so close to the skin as to become none existent. Longevity remains decent - around 6-7 hours, less than its earlier incarnation - but because the projection is so slight and the scent so bland, longevity becomes mostly irrelevant.

I don't think that there has been any official word from Jean Paul Gaultier but the forums are abuzz with speculation. I remained objective in my assessment - negative experiences with scents often comes down to fake bottles or stale perfumes - but I feel confident that I've given enough time, and enough money (!), to confirm my judgement.

In conclusion, be wary when purchasing Le Male. I suggest hunting down older bottles, if you know what to look for (it's been suggested that the older formulations have darker stripes on the bottles). Otherwise, lower your expectations of this once beautiful creation and mourn the defiling of a classic male fragrance.

Pros: Retains hints of its older version
    Cons: Weak projection, weak longevity, lack of vanilla intensity"

18 September, 2013

Da Virt's avatar
    Da Virt
    France France

Sweet scent at first sight but too much for my taste. It becomes invasive and unpleasant.

27 November, 2012

BriGuy's avatar
    BriGuy

With all the amazing reviews I read about this, i just HAD to try it. I WANTED to like it... but alas, it was not for me.
    When sprayed on the test strip of paper, it was very forgettable, with an undertone i wasn't sure of. Surely that was just something subtle on thetop notes that would wear off eventually. So I tried it on my skin.
    For 45 minutes all I got was babypowder that had something subtle trying to come out. Eventually the hidden note came out: Vanilla.
    If vanilla and babypowder are notes you enjoy, then this is the frag for you. Sadly, I didn't feel that it lived up to the expectations made by all the reviews. IMHO.

06 October, 2012

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Le male contains some of my favourite notes and I was eager to try it. I really liked this fragrance on the blotter. Then, I sprayed some on my wrist. Big mistake! After 20 minutes, I smelled like I spilled a bottle of Musk for Men by Jovan (a horrible cheap drugstore fragrance that was all too popular back in the 70's). For months, my mouse pad reeked of white musk. Oddly enough, musk is not mentioned in Le male's olfactory pyramid. I wonder what it is that reacts so bad on my skin.

Maybe Le male is a great fragrance on some men but on me, it is utterly revolting. Headache in a bottle, unfortunately.

12 August, 2012

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

so sweet it mekes me sick, are you sure this was intented for males to use it?

26 June, 2012

mikesc's avatar
    mikesc

I keep trying this one and it's just as nasty as the last time I tried it on. Smells like a syntheticly sweet plastic. An assault on the senses.

27 January, 2012

Olive94's avatar
    Olive94

THIS SCENT LASTS FOREVER AND A DAY! I had a spray in a shop and the initial very alcoholly blast put me off a little. After about 20 minutes it blends into a spicy vanilla scent. I personally struggled smelling any lavender or mint but there you go. I really don't see what the big fuss is with this fragrance. However, the sillage/projection/longevity cannot be faultered.

16 January, 2012

Moscow30's avatar
    Moscow30

Nasty. Cheap. Synthetic. Body funk. All words that come to mind when I think of "Le Male".

Inappropriate at any time, but in the morning beyond nauseating. I've had to sit through business meetings next to men that wear this, and although instantly recognizable, it is also totally loud and gross. Pass...

10th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2012)

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

Smell exactly like glass gleaner that we have in our house!
    I can't believe that! :(
    When our glass cleaner finished, I can give this fragrance to my mother to clean windows with it!
    Thumbs down folks, thumbs down!
    Don't waste your money on this!

07 November, 2011

Picollo30's avatar
    Picollo30
    Portugal Portugal

this one is so overrated. everyone and his dog wears le male nowadays. its sickening. i prefer rochas man or my givenchy pi if i want to smell vanilla.

15 September, 2011

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

How is this one a top seller?! Really?! A synthetic vanilla explosion mixed with mint all the way through... too much linear and boring. Stays forever on skin and projects like a monster. Must be doing really well on the market all these years just because in general, girls usually loves a sweet smell and so, guys will pump this fragrance to attract the opposite sex.

21st August, 2011

HouseofCreed's avatar
    HouseofCreed

Reminds me of my laundry detergent, too powdery and synthetic.

18 August, 2011

subutex's avatar
    subutex
    Singapore Singapore

Any of you eaten at a Chinese restaurant where they provide you napkins that are alike to wet tissues? Le Male smells exactly like those napkins. Horrendous!

14 August, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Finally I finish my 3.4 oz bottle of this concoction and my words while I was tossing the empty bottle to the trash were "Good ridance".
    Synthetic, cloyingly sweet mismatch of clashing notes that activates my vomit center, only a young, unsophisticated nose can enjoy this monstruosity.
    At any rate, if you still like something like Le Male, get Cubano Gold wich is much better and costs just a fraction of the price of the blue male torso ugly bottle juice.
    My most enthusiastic thumbs down

24 July, 2011

scentimus's avatar
    scentimus

Sorry I don't see the Barber shop connection here at least any I have visited in my time.

This could pass for a women's fragrance it is very sweet and mega floral. I very much link this men's fragrance to Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb and even that has some spicy patchouli to cut it sweetness which Le Male lacks.

The whole concept is very kitsch - this scent blatantly has more homo erotic overtones in both it add and packaging...yet we squawks about Joop in the 'pink'

I give props to both AMen and Joop for they are sweat scents like Le Male but counter part that sweetness with either spice or patchouli.

06 July, 2011

Koi-Sashuu's avatar
    Koi-Sashuu
    Netherlands Netherlands

Everyone has this and everyone uses this.
    I'm getting tired of it.

It smells feminine and you smell it everywhere!

18 June, 2011

smells like's avatar
    smells like

I blind-bought this fragrance based on its overall popularity and seemingly favorable online reviews. A good place to start would be to say this is certainly not going to please everyone.

As several other reviews have stated, this concoction ought to be classified as a chemical warfare agent. The scent is definitely memorable. Coworkers will remember your sillage choking them to death from across the room. Even when used incredibly sparingly, this sickly sweet fragrance smacks everyone around you in the face with a chlorinated vanilla candle wax with what I think is cardamom.

As the legend has it, women seem to like it. But there are also more tolerable scents that they like and notice as well. I don't think I could wear this all day without enduring fits of nausea. I kind of hope this fragrance's popularity fades like an out-of-style piece of clothing.

To end on a positive note: You might have some success using the tiniest amount of the fragrance combined with another of your choosing. You will have to mix and match to get something worthwhile.

25 May, 2011

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

My clinical assessment of this scent: "cutsey-poo."
    It has a very sweet opening which becomes slightly aromatic. The scent develops a blue, fresh, somewhat synthetic character. Powdery, vanillan, soapy, a tiny bit metallic or even rubbery. Never abandons its sweet and somewhat precious style.

17 April, 2011

yasir ali's avatar
    yasir ali

hi

i brought this with a high prize. i can only smell scented candle.nothing else.what an overrated fragrance.
    cool water is thousands times better that this.
    people buy this to attention of women. but if you cannot enjoy it yourself how can you buy to the idea that you will wear this to only please others.

if you are wearing to get compliments from opposite sex.try issay miyake, or boss bottled ,
    l homme etc.

it is definitely not for warmer areas . it smell terrible in warmer whether .extremely synthetic.

i try to like it .but not.

12 April, 2011

silversurfer's avatar
    silversurfer

Projects like an IMAX theatre in the round! ... Which wouldn't be so bad if it smelled good. For the life of me, I can't figure why anyone likes this one. Not on my list, even toward the bottom.

26 February, 2011

Castrensis's avatar
    Castrensis

DANGER: CHEMICAL WEAPON. PLEASE KEEP THE SOUP CAN SEALED.

Lavender vanilla powder-bomb. Synthetic sickly sweet scrubber. Nausea & migraine inducing nightmare. This is a terrorist device, not a perfume.

16 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2011)

necrosero's avatar
    necrosero
    Romania Romania

Horrible, synthetic, sickeningly sweet concoction. All I can smell is vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. Might as well buy a vanilla candy for that matter. And oh, the longevity and projection are extreme! Everyone will notice how you reek of this "modern" fragrance. Ok, maybe I'm a bit biased, I hate sweet fragrances, but I totally hate Le Male, it embodies everything that I loathe about modern perfumes (albeit it's a '95 scent, it's still "modern").

10th January, 2011

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Of all the heavily synthetic department store frags I've tried, Le Male stands alone as the obnoxiously flamboyant imbecile who makes all the other low brow offerings seem deep, sophisticated, wearable. What's with his sailor outfit? This the Village People here? And while I'm at it, am I to assume that a large percentage of the $90 price tag is attributable to the soup can packaging? Nice to see the focus is on the fragrance. This guy is better left in 1996.

25 December, 2010

KillerScent's avatar
    KillerScent

This is one of those fragrances to be fully loved or hated .In my case I don't like it because it has a very feminine scent (in fact I know many woman that wear it), with an overall floral tone blended with a mint note .
    The good point of this fragrance, and what other perfumers should imitate, is its great longevity and sillage, incredible for an eau de toilette .It can be clearly noticed at a great distance from you , and when other people wear this they leave a trail that can be clearly identified .Longevity is also very good , it last almost all day even if you spray it in the morning .
    Many times I've been tempted to buy it because of its great longevity and sillage, but I've never bought it as I don´t like its feminine scent, so I give it a thumbs down.

01st November, 2010

Redleg's avatar
    Redleg

The mint is overpowering and smells synthetic. Admittedly, I'm not a big mint fan to begin with, but this cologne gives me a headache.

22 July, 2010

ForresterOD's avatar
    ForresterOD
    Jamaica Jamaica

There was too much going on in this fragrance. Perhaps it smells better in temperate and cold regions, but in a tropical climate the different notes meld and become something almost indistinguishable and almost rancid if you're not careful

20th June, 2010

G.M.K.'s avatar
    G.M.K.
    Pakistan Pakistan

according to most reviews ladies love this stuff but i think it is offensive to physical , it can repell moths not only ladies...................AVOID .

23 May, 2010

smelling something's avatar
    smelling something

It's a very original smell, i have to agree...
    But that's the last thing i like of it.
    Smells very chemical, mentholated (reminds me a toothpaste brand), so intense that you can get sick.
    And the worst of all (the best, if you like it) is that it lasts forever. 24 hours later it can be easily noticed. If you wash, you are losing your time, this stuff is extremely sticky.

I even repent of buying a 2 bucks sample vial.

WARNING: never, i mean NEVER buy a fragance based exclusively on reviews: EVERYONE HAS A PERSONAL TASTE. YOU HAVE TO SMELL IT BY YOURSELF!!!

03 April, 2010

's avatar

Noooo! It remids me a kind of Anti-bacterial handwash gel :))
    i tested it, and washed my hand very fast.

26 March, 2010

poppacooter's avatar
    poppacooter

gives me a headache, i tried it twice and both times it gave me a headache.

the second time i even sprayed it on a q-tip and lightly put it on my neck and one wrist, i went very lightly and it still gave me a headache.

i wish it did not do this to me because it is liked well among the ladies but it is a no go for me. =(

i hear it is made with a lot of synthetics maybe that is why it gives me a headache, i'm not sure.

19 January, 2010