Neutral Reviews of Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Find out more about Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

pandaKrusher's avatar

Cuba Gold has bad, tacky packaging. JPG took Cuba Gold, found even worse packaging, and raised the price from $3.99 to $64. Le Mâle is God's way of telling you have too much money.

18th February, 2014

SWAMIROSE's avatar

Shalimar for Men. Then...... pleasant musk.

08th May, 2013

rbaker's avatar

A sweetish, very synthetic scent with a sweet minty start that becomes increasigky flowery -mainly lavender - to be completely dominated by vanilla in the drydown. Overloaded and unbalanced at times, it's main fortes is a splendid longevity of eight hours in cool weather.

11th February, 2013

CASUAL's avatar

This is a very complex fragrance and it does involve into something interesting to say the least. I'll be honest and say it is semi pleasant but it is not my kind of scent and I wouldn't wear it in public. First initial impression is baby powder and vanilla.

Try it before you buy it.

09th January, 2013

gmstrack's avatar

This fragrance (Le Male) is in the same category as Chergui and Givenchy Pi: baby wipes.

When reviewing a fragrance, it is best to cast aside personal preference and try to rate the fragrance objectively. The cardamom, caraway, and cinnamon add depth and warmth, while the vanilla and tonka bean turn the whole thing into a delicious baked treat. I’m having a tough time picking up on the mint. The lavender adds a masculine nuance, but in the end it’s all about a baby’s rear end.

Here’s the breakdown:
    Le Male: baby wipes + spices 3.5/5
    Chergui: baby wipes + hay and tobacco 3/5
    Pi: baby wipes + baby wipes + vanilla 2/5

14th October, 2012

Demond Wilson's avatar

Not a bad scent. Just way to sweet for my meat!

02nd August, 2012

hamd's avatar

it reminds me of the barber shop which i visited with my dad they used a powder which exactly smelled like this

26th July, 2012

smellzgood's avatar

This is a nice little fragrance, but sadly underwhelming. Top notes are cinnamon, cardamom, with a hint of lavender/ginger. Middle is clean linen. Once dry it is powdery vanilla. Not that the success of a fragrance should be measured by this, but I can't catch the scent 10 minutes after applying it. Occassionally, I will catch the faint vanilla. It wears close to the skin with absolutely no projection or sillage. Starts of well, but loses stamina and complexity almost immediately. I would not purchase this again.

16th January, 2012

BattleShipp's avatar

This fragrance definitely has a nice scent, but if you're like me, and don't like powdery scents, do not go for this. Especially because of the tobacco, sometimes the tobacco overpowers majority of the fragrance and you get a tobacco vanilla powder... think about that... powdery tobacco... sound good? It isn't.

31st December, 2011

carlos-uk's avatar

The terribly sad thing about this fragrance for me is that it is seldom worn correctly. So, what is the correct way to wear it?

ONE SPRAY!!

You do not need more than that, I promise you. Just have one spray and it will work magic for you.

Sadly, every time I smell this, the person wearing it is usually a considerable distance away from me as they approach.....and as they pass. It is badly misused by the majority. When it's applied as above, it really is very good.

I do like it but not when it's worn with such ferocity as many seem to do.

31st July, 2011

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

I saw the sexy ad and took a whiff from the flap. It smelled great and decided to buy a bottle. I bought the bottle, sprayed and instantly felt cheated because it smelled different from the sniff ad. However, it wasn't bad so I continued using it and became fond of it. I got compliments but not from my girlfriend. She hated it. She hated to see me go to work but not because she would miss me but because I would spray the dreaded juice before I left. I used 1/4 of the stuff and gave it away. I want my woman to come to me, not run away. Still, I think it's a decent perfume but not one for me.

04th April, 2011

Sillage Enthusiast's avatar

It is what it is: a minty vanilla bomb. I spray it on my abdomen, let it dry and then put my shirt on. Feels like baby powder. Longevity and sillage not only are things to write home about, they write the letters for you.

28th March, 2011

maccus's avatar

This begins pleasantly enough and then quickly degenerates into a cloying experience. Essentially, Le Male is a synthetic, melange fragrance with a sweetness that lingers like an unwanted visitor and, ultimately this defines one's experience just shy of a headache, at least. Considered by some to be a fine starting point for young men discovering fragrance, it's a costly introduction especially when one considers the availability of several inexpensive and similar and better creations - indeed, almost anything would do. Used discretely, it mightn't induce a migraine but I would be very cautious by which I mean one quick spray on the socks one is about to wear - obviously, before putting them on - and leave it at that. On second thoughts, don't - put on some other socks. It's not vile, it's just sickly sweet, tediously linear and unsophisticated - essentially, unmemorable

27th March, 2011

Darvant's avatar

I think this fragrance is neither a bold nor a distinguished one. It's definitely too chemical-synthetic and too type of a bath soap one. What I actually prize about this one is its kind of stormy (splashing) strong projection (even if i find some similarities of it with Lempicka Au Masculine and with Body Kouros which i surely prefer) and its unquestionable appeal with the (expecially young/teen) girls. This is a watery-aromatic, milky-mossy-detergent fougere, intoxicating though synthetic at the beginning in its shampoo of creamy lavender full of minty soapiness and almost edible in its evolution. The undeniable sweetness is watered by lavender and soothed by musk which is blended with vanilla and amber in order to express a reasonably mild (rather than a terribly sweet) accord. The final issue is a pleasant though overly linear musky talco, clean and powdery, which stops its run barely before the boundaries of the gourmand territories and projects a remarkable sillage throughout around. Mentholated lavender, spices, balsams and orange blossoms are the key elements of this favorite of many women all over the world. Tonka beans and may be an hint of tobacco provide a mild-bitter (but rounded) trait to this full of contrasts fragrance. A mentholated and hesperidic first spicy blast (like a sort of "volatile" bath foam) is the relaxing shield for a musky, creamy blend of tobacco and woods. The longevity is notable. Many talk about a clubbing scent, i disagree, nothing naughty in this one, anything dangerous or seductive, nothing kind of "after hours juice", just another amazing after shower.

07th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09th January, 2014)

rainmaker's avatar

I used to own this. I think it is beautiful and girls love it. However, I feel like it's not a very masculine smell, and it is so overplayed that I don't want to smell like everyone else.

12th December, 2010

yoyo's avatar

Vanilla is way too strong. Smells as of you spilled vanilla extract on your self.

01st December, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

LE MALE smells at first of sweet lavender talc - it is probably this sugary powder aspect that some women find appealing. But the drydown is pure toothache. And unless your idea of foreplay involves food items, there is nothing remotely sexy about this fragrance. Still, I find it wearably pleasant but ONLY in small callibrated doses; I honestly think anyone found guilty of liberal applications should be charged with misanthropic behavior.

Like some of the earlier reviewers, I too find some similarities to Body Kouros and Jacomo Rouge, both of which are imho better compositions. That Le Male continues to sell better than those two is really not a reflection of the fragrance's inherent superiority but rather the superiority of its marketing machinery.

22nd July, 2010

neal's avatar

Should have been named Le Femâle.

18th July, 2010

jovanbell's avatar

I will admit, I think that 'politics' come in to play with this fragrance. I believe that word-of-mouth makes this scent so popular.
    I bought it blind (based on reviews), and quite eager to sniff the first smell....
    lo and behold.....
    IT SMELLS PRETTY MUCH LIKE..... YOU GUESSED IT, Perry Ellis White.
    Although, there is a slight difference.
    Perry's has a little more of the powdery, and Le Male has less and lets the greenery and herbs shine through. Slightly.
    Although, for everyday wear, they are very, VERY close. I pretty sure I know what the folks a Perry were doing when they introduced Perry Ellis White.
    I feel that this scent could not be worn anywhere at any time.
    It seems more evening. Not a hot weather fragrance, I believe this fragrance along with 'natural' musk will totally clash, and you will smell like a ________ (fill in the blank).
    I think that Perry's lasts longer on the skin.

01st July, 2010

Force of One's avatar

I was introduced to this when out one night with a friend who recieved compliments from two attractive women on seperate occasions throughout the night. Needless to say, I made a mental note to add as a cologne arrow in my quiver.....

That was many months ago, and while I still like it, I have gotten to favor others over it (and am still waiting for MY first compliment while wearing it!). I think it is a very good winter scent and seems to project well from my skin and had above average longevity for me. Has a very attention grabbing lavendar-powder-vanilla-y scent, but is also unmistakably synthetic smelling as well.

As another drawback it is appearantly a fairly common scent to encounter (although I rarely do) so if you are going for the more unique/novel approach in fragrance, this probably won't be it.

I still keep it in the rotation for winter, but find myself looking for a reason to chose another over it whenever possible.

18th June, 2010

rev0lut10n's avatar

Not a scent to wear in the heat. Obviously a classic, but for me there's an initial impression of something synthetic that's almost akin to burning rubber. This improves a lot with the drydown, but still isn't one of my favourites due to the excessive amounts of vanilla.

11th April, 2010

subhuman85's avatar

An indisputable compliment-getter, but at what cost? Le Mâle is many things - tenacious, sweet, strong, powdery, musky - but overtly masculine, it is not. This is the most feminine perfume marketed to men that I've ever worn, topping even the carnation-heavy Old Spice and the candied-fruity 212 Sexy Men. And spicy? Azzaro Pour Homme is spicy. Opium is spicy. Le Mâle has perhaps a light dusting of black pepper in its top notes, but whatever spiciness (or freshness) it posesses soon gets taken over by the talcum powder/lavender bubble bath/old-school shaving foam heart of the fragrance. There's a mintiness in the first few minutes, too, more apparent when sprayed on fabric than skin.

If you're looking to get the most bang out of your fragrance buck, you can't do much better than Le Mâle. I don't know what kind of nuclear vanilla Gaultier uses in his fragrances, but 11 hours after spraying Le Mâle I can still smell the vanilla on my arm, along with a ghost of the lavender and orange blossom. My skin's stubborn refusal to hold fragrances for much longer than 4 hours crumbles in the presence of Le Mâle. It's also a sillage monster - a lot of fragrances get stuck with the "no more than two sprays" rap, but seriously, this one does not kid around. Two sprays and then STOP. Put the bottle down. Read a book, go outside, cook some lunch, whatever. Your family, friends, and innocent passersby on the sidewalk or morning commute with thank you.

As previously stated, Le Mâle is a compliment magnet - women love the stuff, and I've gotten more "ooh, you smell good!"s with it than any other in my collection. But to be honest, I feel just the slightest less masculine wearing it (and I'm a gay man). My favorite men's fragrances, much like my favorite men, have a touch of the raw, the dirty, the sharp, the edgy. Le Mâle is all powdery sweetness, the kind that you smell after a good shave and a shower with a floral soap. Le Mâle is also heavy and synthetic-smelling with no breathing room - absolutely not a summer scent. But more than anything else, it lacks complexity. The aforementioned Azzaro Pour Homme, for example, smells slightly different depending on the time of day, the mood you're in, the amount of skin oil you've accumulated before spraying, and so on - it's always recognizably itself, but its hue and texture can fluctuate and catch you pleasantly off guard. Le Mâle smells like Le Mâle from all angles, and from every stage of its development. Linearity isn't always a bad thing, and a fragrance free of complexity yet full of fun can be a joy to wear. But Le Male isn't fun and fresh-faced, it's fake-friendly with a pound of makeup on. I wore it frequently this past winter, in the early stages of my fragrance education. But having discovered scents that possess slightly earthier personalities and a lot more quirks, I suspect I may have outgrown Le Mâle, to be worn only when I'm feeling camp or in need of soft, powdery comfort. Your mileage may vary.

22nd March, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

UPDATE: One thing to say: Jacomo De Jacomo Rouge does it all better.

Former Review: Yesterday I finally rounded out sampling several "classics". Le Male had me guessing for a good long time to locate some recall. It's almost like a dry down of other colognes. There's something leathery and sheer to it. I still have a hard time pin pointing because of the subtlety involved which gets to be downright frustrating. But I suppose that's some of the allure of Le Male - it keeps you guessing and invites to come in close for discovery, but ultimately just turns into a skin scent to me.

With all that ambiguity aside, what I am reminded of the most is Dior Fahrenheit without octane, Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia without the gasoline rocket leather electronic top blast, and finally, Polo Double Black in mid progression to dry down. I'm also reminded of Ange ou Demon by Givenchy with more citrus and far more subtle.

Ultimately, Le Male is just too ambiguous for me to care. I feel that my other ambiguous find - Six Scents 4 Gareth Pugh: Diagonal - is more intriguing in an anti-perfume way.

And Polo Double Black is far more satisfying to me in its ability to actually say something. And of course, Nostalgia is in a bizarre class of its own - you really have to wait an hour or so to get the resemblance to Le Male.

15th March, 2010 (Last Edited: 23rd March, 2010)

StylinLA's avatar

I think of this one as a modern classic that's time has passed. I found it to one of the more powerful EdTs, and a little bit went a long way.

I loved the smell, but I tend to think it was a fairly polarizing scent...some loved it and some hated it. There wasn't a lot of middle ground.

Since I discovered Basenotes, and have tried a variety of high end colognes, it smells a bit artificial to me now.

I have and use plenty of frags that could be considered "out" but this one's best days are likely gone.

09th August, 2009

lovinit's avatar

I remember when i first caught a whiff(sp) of this on someone in school (some years ago) I was like, "I gotta get that!", and now I'm not too sure about this one. This smells like mint scented baby powder that has been mixed with water to an almost muddy plaster like texture and then left out, uncovered, at room temperature. With that said I cant suggest that the fragrance is as horrible as my description my appear, however, its just not that interesting. On me, Im not too fond of the longevity

07th August, 2009

MarkKnopfler's avatar

Nice bottle but cant help thinking of waking up with a massive hangover still smelling this on the pillow!

19th July, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

A rather industrial and deliberately jarring assembly of components. The dominant feature of the opening is mint, and this appears to have been designed to sharpen the bum notes that one is exposed to for the first hour. This is fragrance by numbers, and these simply do not add up. The top notes are deliberatley mismatched, the middle notes designed to sweeten the mess, and the base includes all the usual suspects for a mainstream sweetened cliche.

20th March, 2009

Royal's avatar

It's Le Male. Everyone knows it. By all means, it's quite a good sweet vanilla scent that women love. However, I see absolutely no reason to buy it when I can walk into my local Perfumania and pick up a 1.17oz of Cuba Gold for four dollars. Cuba Gold is basically a "better" knockoff of Le Male. And it's so much cheaper!

10th February, 2009

Mike's avatar

I am indifferent to this fragrance. It is a pleasant enough smell, albeit very synthetic. It is also very cloying if over-applied, and unfortunately, the multitudes of men who wear this tend to bathe in it! I was once in a crowded movie theatre and pegged a man sitting five rows in front of me who was wearing it! It is a very popular scent for clubbing and is excessively popular with both young and older men, but for me, it is just too overdone and synthetic, and it is also somewhat too sweet and feminine for my tastes. Another detractor as I have already mentioned is that so many men own this (probably 1 in 3), so that the infamous "you smell like my ex-boyfriend" will become an all-too familiar refrain. It may be fun to wear once in a while, but I tend to steer clear of it, and once my bottle is finished, I highly doubt that I will re-acquire it. Ultimately, I have many more superior fragrances in my collection that deserve far more of my attention and respect.

14th September, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Not sickly, milky sweet like Gaultier2 and feels weak in comparison but this is still very, very strong. A peppery vanilla scent that lasts forever. If it's too strong for you I recommend trying Perry Ellis 360 White for Men. The packaging is avant garde but still silly looking.

05th July, 2008