Positive Reviews of Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Find out more about Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Noraed's avatar

It is a fresh, cool and modern perfume.
    The scent is soapy and lavendery.
    It is an oriental-fougere type of perfume.

It is a very popular perfume.
    I liked it so much, I bought it even though it is a man's perfume. So defiantly thumbs up for it.

17th October, 2014

Surreal's avatar

Thats a monster!!! but a good monster so good that it has became so common that I could not wear it any more.
    Vanilla mixed with candy sweetness cinnamon and pepper with monster longevity and projection.
    the bottle is just....bad!

04th October, 2014

CGR's avatar

I really enjoy this scent especially the dry down. I would say it's quite unique to other colognes on the market. all the notes fit together perfectly. I would only wear this scent in the winter as its quite gourmand like. In my opinion le male is one of the best gourmand fragrance out there. I would defiantly recommend this but I would say test before you buy because it might not be for everyone.

05th August, 2014

Ersjr6983's avatar

I am surprised I have never smelled this on anyone where I live besides myself. I love this notes in this one. One would think that mint, lavender, and vanilla would not work well together but they combine so well together to form a truly unforgettable scent. I always receive compliments in this scent and my wife is madly in love with this scent. A great fall and winter time fragrance.

24th February, 2014

rafa04's avatar

an excellent fragrance overall excellent projection and longevity. i use this one for fall and winter. for school or office wear only wear one spray but for dates or going out 2-3. no more than 3 sprays. its just that mine came with a defective pump :(. but i will exchange it.

28th January, 2014

Loki11's avatar

The opening is on another level to anything I've worn before. Powerful, juicy and mouthwatering. The projection before it dries is a force to be reckoned with. The drydown is also nice and this stuff lingers on the skin for a good amount of time.

Not completely masculine, but then again not perfumey at all.

The bottle is impressive, a real quality item. I have the 75 ml and it just feels great in the hand, the glass has a really smooth feel.

However, Le Male is of course a victim of it's own popularity. The first time I wore it on a night out, it was recognised and named by the first person I came across. For this reason I would never wear it regularly.

Also if someone is wearing other than yourself, it it can be a bit cloying.

4/5 - Shame about the fame!

24th January, 2014

jayfly2412's avatar

jpg le male is a true classic in my eyes. Vanilla lavender combo one of the best in the business. This projects forever and lasts a long time. Its stood the test of time so you can get this one cheap. Im not sure how you could hate this other than the fact that you prob smelled it on someone before but who cares. I definitely get compliments with this one. The dry down is strong and i like that! you can get this one cheap!
    smell 7/10 not bad i love vanilla
    longevity 10/10 beastmode
    projection 8/10 this might have been reformulated???? i remember it projecting better but idk..

15th January, 2014

federfigo5's avatar

Very nice lavender/vanilla fragrance with a slightly herbal minty opening.
    Great longevity and sillage.

05th January, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

Hated. Loved. Adored. Loathed.

No matter where you stand with this masterpiece (if you don't have an opinion do yourself a favor) this is a fragrance that is undeniable. When I wear this I am usually asked what it is...just the pronunciation of the maker and cologne does something to people. Of course those in the know either roll their eyes or smile. I don't usually go into the ingredients of colognes as one only needs to look that up- but the minty vanilla of Le Male is glorious and was a game changer when it appeared. Instantly recognizable both by scent and sight, a definite legend in its own time and in my mind.

15th December, 2013

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Very very sensual barbershop smell. The trick: easy on the trigger.

02nd October, 2013 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2014)

winstizzle's avatar

Very sweet.

One of my first purchases of cologne. Very sweet smelling. Has a vanilla-powdery drydown.

Pros: decent projection
    Cons: doesn't last as long as the original "

26th September, 2013

emad91's avatar

Best fragrance if u are looking for sweetness.

Well I was looking for it and finally found it last night...i just wanted to check how its is coz i asked someone to get it for me...when i smelled it I was completely in love with it...that sweetness and the dry down is excellent..cant wait for it :D

Pros: Long Lasting, Projects Good
    Cons: Expensive :P"

30th August, 2013

pma55525's avatar

Fun and Lively

Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier is one of the better lavender and vanilla based fragrance offered to this date. This scent can have a mysterious aphrodisiacal effect at times. Just remember to put this scent on mildly. It's quite potent so please consider others and the occasion in which this will be worn. Overall, a beautiful scent that gives undivided female attention to its wearer.

31st July, 2013

YellowFlash's avatar

Pleasant, sweet, great longevity

I enjoy this scent very much. Most fragrances wear very close to my skin so even something with the reputation Le Male has, I don't smother people or invade their nostrils. The vanilla is very nice and the powder is something new for me but it is also quite pleasant to me. I think this is a fragrance that is just predominantly going to be popular with the younger crowd more so than the older crowd, and once you've smelled it you can see why. I really enjoy it and plan on continuing to use it. To each his own. Some people can spray once and get a headache from the sweetness. I can spray 2-3 on and you won't know I'm wearing it until you get relatively close to me.

Pros: Sweet, long lasting, projects well
    Cons: Can be too sweet for some people"

31st July, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar

I love this stuff, and it gets me noticed more than just about anything else that I own. It is another scent that seems to suffer from extreme popularity, but nobody else in my inner circle even seems to know what it is. It is a very pungent, sweet smell that follows me around wherever I go. It is strong stuff, so I try to go light on the trigger. Awesome for the middle of winter, it cuts through the cold, dry air in my area and has a good festive smell.

23rd April, 2013

Spartan's avatar

Hungary Hungary

I dont really like sweet fragrancies but this one, wow. The top notes are very clean and fresh but as it dries down it gets very very sweet, mainly vanilla and cinammon. It smells so damn god, i'd like to feel this scent even when i go to sleep :D.

I think this is one of those frags that you either love or hate but if you love its love at first sight. Projection is good, just as longetivity, but it doesnt last any longer than 5-6 hours on my skin (its still very good, compared to other frags).

absolutely favourite

30th March, 2013

NathanBradley's avatar

I know this is a very popular fragrance. And like all things as popular as this there will be some backlash. But this is a top notch fragrance. Very original and very good quality. You spray this on and it seems like it would last forever. Definitely a winter time scent. This should not even be sold in tropical countries. However this is one of my all time favorite fragrances. A++.

27th March, 2013

1billy1's avatar

Scotland Scotland

A very exquisite and expensive smelling fragrance. It is instantly noticable and recognised. I have had countless 'you smell nice' comments and it is without doubt a smell for the modern guy and the fragrance lasts for many hours. It is very well packaged and marketed and really goes down a treat with the ladies.

11th March, 2013

AHS's avatar

I smelt this today after reading alot of reviews about it and..

I was delighted :D

As its got alot of vanilla (I LOVE VANILLA) i did adore the smell; but it did come of as abit sweet, maybe abit too sweet?

Also, i got abit of cherry from this? Anyone else get that or is this just me? cos i was getting some cherry and alot of vanilla on the dry down?

Anyway, even tho it is quite sweet, i am pretty sure i will pick up a bottle of this soon.

19th February, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar

It took me a while to warm up to this fragrance but it is the fragrance that made me realize that you actually have to wear a particular scent before you can decide whether you like, love or hate it. The opening of Le Male is what initially turned me off about the fragrance. I got a peppery cardamom scent at the beginning that I didn't particularly care for. That is what made write off this scent initially that was until I smelled Le Male on co-worker of mine that had gone into the dry down. It made me actually test Le Male on my skin... well long story short is I got to experience the wonderful mint-lavender-cinnamon middle and the vanilla-tonka-amber finish. Im still not a huge fan of the opening but still an overall great scent. Projection is good while the longevity on my skin holds for 14+ hours.

27th January, 2013

's avatar

Vanilla and mint dominate this frag. I enjoy it. I keep reading how projection and longevity are beast with this more but I don't experience that.

21st January, 2013

kbog2829's avatar

It's a good fragrance. Not the best, but good enough to earn a thumbs up from me. It's a powdery sweet scent with great projection and longevity. The bottle design is amazing, and it looks great displayed on a shelf :) I own the limited edition flask version though. Once i get through with this bottle, I'm going to purchase another one for sure!

06th January, 2013

DavidShea's avatar

The first time I tested this I was not impressed and it was easily forgotten.
    For Christmas my wife got me a sample pack from Sephora, this was one of the frags in the box.
    I tested each one on my skin daily just to see the outcome, boy was I shocked.
    This package contained two of my favorites, D&G The One and Gucci Guilty and
    this one won me over after trying it on my skin.
    4 hours in and I swear it is just as strong as when I put it on.
    I am not usually a fan of the "soapy" smells but this one blows my mind.

I am a huge fan.

02nd January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Crowded, synthetic. So what? If looking for a fragrance for a night out, that has good performance in skin and like the girls, this is your candidate.

22nd December, 2012

's avatar

There's nothing left to say about this wonderful scent. Classic and timeless, definetely a must have for any fragrance lover. A wonderful mix of lavender, vanilla and tonka bean (mainly) that lingers for a long time in your skin. Thumbs up!

19th December, 2012

duckdown's avatar

I love this stuff.. Been wearing it for years, and yeah a lot of people wear it, but it lasts a long time and I think it smells great. Asked for another bottle for Christmas this year..

07th December, 2012

Chris1788's avatar

What an absolute classic this is.

The first 5 seconds of this fragrance is possibly my favourite smell in the world. A blast of fresh, minty masculinity. The drydown calms down but is still really pleasant and agreeable, you won't find a woman that doesn't love the way this smells on you.

Lasts forever, very versatile, the bottle is a classic on your shelf, can't ask for anything more.

27th November, 2012

Márcio's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Great fragrance, a little synthetic but had a great projection and longevity. The girls love it. : )

20th November, 2012

Tony T's avatar

one of the all time clasics,( cool water, acqua di gio). unrealistic smell of mint,cinnamon and vanilla that is done perfect. if you love sweet orientals this is for you. beware of the bootleggers. if you get the 4.2 oz bottle for 30 bucks you have been scammed. this, chanel and acqua di gio are the most bootlegged scents..

22nd October, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Even though this one has been around for a while, I have to rate in as if I just smelled it for the first time. Longevity is a beast on this one. The scent is on point also. The only thing about this frag is everyone has it. If you want to stand out of the crowd, this may not be for you. But if you want a scent that's going to hang around for a while, this is your juice.

10th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th November, 2012)