Reviews of Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Find out more about Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

Pretty much run-of-the-mill lime opening, with some sweet herbal notes surfacing after a few minutes' time. The accord that results reminds me of fruit salad. Commonplace I think, and ultimately undistinguished in an already overcrowded field. I'll pass in favor of Heeley's Verveine, Eau de Guerlain or Cologne Bigarage.

19 June, 2014

justbeq's avatar

Perfect for Summer

Citrusy, bright, crisp, green, herbal, clean, refreshing, fresh, effervescent, light, uplifting, natural, cool, zesty, spring-like, breezy. Add some tonic water and a splash of rum and I think I could drink this stuff.

A bright opening of fresh cut lime trailing very closely to fresh cut basil. Then I detect the mandarin and bergamot which round the lime out nicely. The iris brings a slight scratchiness to the mix and the vetiver adds a smidge of a dry weight to it. The vetiver and iris mesh really well dirtying it up a bit which makes it slightly more masculine. I get a drive-by of spiciness from the caraway. Literally, I smell it and it is gone with the wind. But, mostly you get happy lime and basil.

I absolutely love this stuff and I could keep my nose to my arm all day sniffing away, if it only lasted on me all day. And no question that it is totally unisex.

Pros: Happy and refreshing
    Cons: lacks longevity"

08 September, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar

I never wear this one out, but I do enjoy the vibe that I get off it around the house. It is a very uplifting scent and I like the bite of the basil that I get off the top.

24 April, 2013

Sticky Threads's avatar

Should be renamed Basil Basil and Basil on my skin. When i first tried this from a tester bottle in a Jo Malone store, It thought the juice had gone off. It was hard work. It has however over the last year or two grown on me. This is a fragrence I am very fond of now and makes me think. It also bucks my Jo Malone trend in that I am aware of it maybe 12 hours after application. Good stuff!

09 April, 2013

Tony T's avatar

the top note of basil is a bit much and was not what i was expecting. then maybe an hour later this became manly and endurable through the cold winter day.6 hours later it is still going very strong and i could see it lasting 10 hours. this is frommy sample!!!the basil is much more subdued and the base note of thyme is kicking in providing a great earthy feel. this is a great comfort scent. will be buying a bottle come spring/summer..

11th February, 2013

rbaker's avatar

A decent bit of lime and mandarin, little basil, nice, very subdued and casting less than an hour on me. Not getting me excited.

20th September, 2012

silentrich's avatar

Lime, basil, and mandarin is along the same lines as many other of the higher quality citrus fragrances. There's a candied aspect to the citrus that makes this more of a novelty than an actual fragrance. Another problem with this fragrance is the longevity which is the major issue with many of Jo Malone's fragrances. It's actually better than most of her fragrances, but there are better examples on the market. Enjoyable, but not bottle worthy.

24 July, 2012

Oproust's avatar

Jo Malone's Lime, Basil and Mandarin has a beautiful, bracing, citrus opening with a very pronunced lime note swimming just ahead of the mandarin orange and bergamot notes. This opening lasts about one-half hour before slipping behind the basil that bursts through the citrus accord and welcomes all who are near to the emerging herb garden. While I'm not a huge fan of basil, I find LBM's basil note to be acceptable. It its what the name says. The mid notes in LBM remind me somewhat of the mid notes in Polo Modern Reserve, a fragrance that is light years away from LBM in character and temperament. The emergence of patchouli really sells LBM. The basil becomes restrained which helps avoid a complete herbal takeover. I can easily see LBM in my summer rotation. A perfect fit for trips to my favorite Thai restaurant.

11th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2011)

jtd's avatar

I only smelled this for the first time recently. It has such a pretty opening and it seems like it might simply be a long-lasting take on the eau de cologne. The heart turns out to be fairly short-lived, but the basenotes, while quiet, are quite durable. The base hints at vetiver, patchouli and iris, having a dry, dusty feel. It seems a bit like dried citrus rind, the perfect ending to the citrus-dominant start.

05 November, 2011

HazelMae's avatar

The mandarin just glows and the lime-basil lends interest. This is an incredible mood-lifter for me.

On a humid, muggy day, for about 15 minutes I feel like a Thai yum tofu salad but then it passes. For some reason I don't register this aspect when it's not humid. So yes, the basil is very prominent here. It's not vaguely herbal, it's unmistakably basil.

I had halfway-decent longevity and it was much better than other Jo Malones I've tried with seem to disappear almost instantly. For me this lasts about three hours and then leaves a faint shadow of itself for the rest of the day.

07 May, 2011

Benj's avatar

I'm torn with this one. This is one of Malone's first perfumes and the one I liked best at first. The basil gives an interesting and lovely note, and the fresh citrus is exceptionally well done. All three notes in the name really do come through. Overall this is an excellent citrus-basil accord that becomes more floral and slightly garrigue-ish with time. Hurrah! A Jo Malone perfume that evolves! Oh, wait, what's that? Oh dear, the basil is rotting on my skin. ARGH, now it's starting to smell more and more like week-old salad. Lovely at first, but it doesn't end well for this pretty little perfume.

16 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

LaNose's avatar

On me, after the citris departs, it's strictly coriander. I like its green, warm and woody aura --- it's a fond reminder of Coriandre by Jean Couturier.

I think the lime, basil and orange herald the top notes and envelope the margins of the middle notes, but the basenotes are pure...coriander. Amazing that it's not list on the pyramid.

31st December, 2010

firehorse's avatar

I bought it for me, but ended up passing it on to my bf. Too manly for me. It's ok, seems good for a man's office scent.

14 December, 2010

Andromed's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Very interesting cologne. Brilliant balance and simplicity, if a lot of nuances and listen ottenkov.Potryasayuschaya game - "Elementary, Watson. With my indifference to the citrus - bravo! Lasts just long enough so as not to tire. Of those things which give rise to poetic images. It seems commoner, but this gentleman. Many can learn from JM, how to work with citrus and herbs.

13 July, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

A straight forward scent - a very lovely beginning though definitely more a man's scent - and as it says it is - lime basil and mandarin. I get mostly lime and basil - tart ,strong .It goes downhill on my skin and I still get little mandarin. A slight BO note seems to emerge and then I begin to feel claustrophobic. Not for me.

21st June, 2010

msleslie's avatar

This is what I wear when my co-workers are going to be away and I will be alone with the boss. It is fresh and crisp but absolutely uninviting or sexy - it gives just the right message! This is the only Jo Malone I really like or need.

10th May, 2010

RusticDove's avatar

I know the name says Lime, Basil & Mandarin, but this scent is all about Lime & Cilantro. I'm sampling this fragrance for the first time today and have had it on for about 45 minutes now & so far the lime and cilantro dominates. This will be a good Summer scent and it's quite pleasant & uncomplicated, but in an unexpected way. Very nice.

16 March, 2010

scentsitivity's avatar

It is what it says on the bottle. Intense lime and basil. An interesting scent; I get good longevity out of it. Easier to wear than Jo Malone’s Sweet Lime and Cedar, with its allusion to Thai cuisine.

I am surprised to see such a high proportion of negative reviews on this one.

14 March, 2010

Phil Cape's avatar

South Africa South Africa

This was the scent that first woke me up to Jo Malone. It was love at first sniff. I was then too ignorant to know that you could get fragrances that were so unashamedly clean and focussed so uninhibitedly on the orchard and the herb garden. I was astounded at its bracing freshness and verve and worshipped its unaffected purity.

I find it very easy to wear. In our mediterranean climate it is refreshing in summer and nostalgic in winter. It lasts well enough for me but happily is also hard to overdo thanks to the way it settles into calm citrus and herb notes. (At the JM shop at LHR they use this to spritz onto the black tissue paper when they wrap your purchases. Not sure what that says about it... but I'm too in love to care.)

The lime is without doubt the leader of the band here and I have sought the mandarin in vain. That is until I sprayed this over JM's Sweet Lime & Cedar and, voila!, there is the mandarin and it keeps on coming through. Delightful!

I must confess that over the years I have occasionally entertained heretical thoughts that there may be a lack of depth to the fragrance. But now I sometimes layer it with heavier scents and that way it still keeps its fascination both solo and in combination.

25 January, 2010

jrntnlead's avatar

And I was so hopeful about this one. To me, it has that screechy, lemon-lime aroma that I tend to run as fast as I can away from. If you find that you also dont liek this, perhaps try Eau de Caron Fraiche for a totally different take on a uplifting citrus....

17 January, 2010

funky lion's avatar

I sprinkled this Jo Malone's scent on my wrist and liked it immediately. It lasted about five hours on me so for the cologne I think is wonderful. I didn't notice any wilted basil there, but after some time I realised why this scent seemed so familiar to me: on my skin it is very similar to Cabotine from Gres that I used to wear in university.
    The shoplady gave me a body lotion sample "for better effect" when combining it with the cologne. And I slightly smeared the cleavage and neck with it. OMG!!!! It was awful. I almost choked with it, and couldn't get it off me. This one has huge staying power! So I'm thinking what to do next - Should I try the cologne again? I think I will after some time, but I would never buy a Lime, Basil and Mandarin body lotion.

13 January, 2010

Asha's avatar

Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin EDC

Notes: lime, mandarin, basil, white thyme (from jomalone.com)

Upon first application of Lime Basil & Mandarine, surprise of surprises, I smell lime, basil and mandarin. The mandarin is very subtle, bowing to the more prominent lime citrus note, which is tangy and bitter, more like lime rind than the fruit. The herbal component is obviously more than just basil, although the basil note is very minty, leafy and somewhat juicy. Along with the basil is something I was not expecting--cilantro, a.k.a. coriander leaf. Once LBM develops past the initial opening accord, the mandarin fades to almost nothing, and I feel as if I am covered in Cuban Mojo marinade sauce. (For those who are interested, my Mojo recipe includes lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and garlic.) I was wondering where the garlic might be in LBM. I never encountered any, but I did notice a curious fenugreek funk in the mid notes. I was wavering between loving and hating the fragrance because of its obvious foody connotations. In the end decided that LBM is a thoroughly enjoyable herbal cologne, with a lovely creamy, woody amber-musk drydown and some kind of mossy ingredient that keeps the base from being too sweet. For an EDC, the longevity has been very good, around five hours. Sillage is moderate. Lime Basil & Mandarin is wearable for both men and women, but edges more toward the masculine.

17 October, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

I remember loud colognes from the seventies that smelled like cheap lime candy. This cologne comes perilously close to that extreme, but it is redeemed by quality ingredients and masterful blending. Its initial application is a shock, but it evolves into an assertive, but attractive, citrus wallow. I would wear this to a summer evening concert, classy barbecue, or a nice club. It is definitely unisex, but intended for a boldly self-assured or effusively outgoing person.

24 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2010)

Aznavour's avatar

Very, very lime, about as true to the real thing as one can get without rolling in a basket of them. But it's lime without the sourness, and mellowed with a herbal note that I'm assuming is the basil. Sillage is minimal, longevity is not that great, but despite the fact that this smells like a drink I'd order at the bar, it is very appealing. Fresh and clean without being "fresh" and "clean", if that makes sense.

07 February, 2009

Goldaline's avatar

This is Jo Malone's signature scent. It's the first Jo Malone I purchased, and I have had several bottles since then. I also have the shower gel and body cream, and I layer all three together for wonderful sillage. I'd also like to buy the soap, hair shampoo, hair conditioner and bath oil! It's a distinctive fragrance which (to me at least) is is uplifting and vibrant, and perfect for the warm weather. It especially appeals to people who like citrus and herb notes, but it's not for everyone. So try it on your skin before you purchase!

24 October, 2008

VoltesV's avatar

This fragrance makes me wanna puke. I agree with the comment that this smells like Basil waging a war with Lime. Yuck.

22 September, 2008

ebbelline's avatar

For some reason, I like this fragrance when I am having my period. It's one of the only fragrances I can stand at that time of the month. Otherwise, (at other times of the month) I don't like it!!! Weird, eh?

22 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

An earlier incarnation of Nouveau Bowery but with more herbs (basil). Not bad but I'd rather have the Bond.

31st July, 2008

Mad4WDW's avatar

Opens with a strong Lime then it moves to a herby, grassy aroma. I really like it, its a nice one for the summer. Smells very natural to me.

I've had compliments while I've been wearing it which I haven't had for others I wear that get rave reviews here.Don't write it off before you try it I'd say.

It also layers nicely with another Jo Malone I have in my collection, Pomegranate Noir, another good one from this house.

Above average sillage and longevity for a cologne.

06 July, 2008

kharisma92's avatar

If you want to walk around smelling like a "Panini" this is the fragrance for you! i love panini's, but i don't wanna smell like one.

13 May, 2008