Neutral Reviews of Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Find out more about Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

Pretty much run-of-the-mill lime opening, with some sweet herbal notes surfacing after a few minutes' time. The accord that results reminds me of fruit salad. Commonplace I think, and ultimately undistinguished in an already overcrowded field. I'll pass in favor of Heeley's Verveine, Eau de Guerlain or Cologne Bigarage.

19 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

A decent bit of lime and mandarin, little basil, nice, very subdued and casting less than an hour on me. Not getting me excited.

20th September, 2012

silentrich's avatar

Lime, basil, and mandarin is along the same lines as many other of the higher quality citrus fragrances. There's a candied aspect to the citrus that makes this more of a novelty than an actual fragrance. Another problem with this fragrance is the longevity which is the major issue with many of Jo Malone's fragrances. It's actually better than most of her fragrances, but there are better examples on the market. Enjoyable, but not bottle worthy.

24 July, 2012

Benj's avatar

I'm torn with this one. This is one of Malone's first perfumes and the one I liked best at first. The basil gives an interesting and lovely note, and the fresh citrus is exceptionally well done. All three notes in the name really do come through. Overall this is an excellent citrus-basil accord that becomes more floral and slightly garrigue-ish with time. Hurrah! A Jo Malone perfume that evolves! Oh, wait, what's that? Oh dear, the basil is rotting on my skin. ARGH, now it's starting to smell more and more like week-old salad. Lovely at first, but it doesn't end well for this pretty little perfume.

16 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

firehorse's avatar

I bought it for me, but ended up passing it on to my bf. Too manly for me. It's ok, seems good for a man's office scent.

14 December, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

A straight forward scent - a very lovely beginning though definitely more a man's scent - and as it says it is - lime basil and mandarin. I get mostly lime and basil - tart ,strong .It goes downhill on my skin and I still get little mandarin. A slight BO note seems to emerge and then I begin to feel claustrophobic. Not for me.

21st June, 2010

funky lion's avatar

I sprinkled this Jo Malone's scent on my wrist and liked it immediately. It lasted about five hours on me so for the cologne I think is wonderful. I didn't notice any wilted basil there, but after some time I realised why this scent seemed so familiar to me: on my skin it is very similar to Cabotine from Gres that I used to wear in university.
    The shoplady gave me a body lotion sample "for better effect" when combining it with the cologne. And I slightly smeared the cleavage and neck with it. OMG!!!! It was awful. I almost choked with it, and couldn't get it off me. This one has huge staying power! So I'm thinking what to do next - Should I try the cologne again? I think I will after some time, but I would never buy a Lime, Basil and Mandarin body lotion.

13 January, 2010

ebbelline's avatar

For some reason, I like this fragrance when I am having my period. It's one of the only fragrances I can stand at that time of the month. Otherwise, (at other times of the month) I don't like it!!! Weird, eh?

22 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

An earlier incarnation of Nouveau Bowery but with more herbs (basil). Not bad but I'd rather have the Bond.

31st July, 2008