Reviews of Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Find out more about Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Surreal's avatar

If only there was not so intense this Aniseed note from opening until drydown....
    Its an great gourmand that opens up quit fresh with this anise note and dries down to a sweet gourmand that IMO has some common notes with body Kouros which is also excellent scent.
    It has good longevity and projects well ,I think none would have problem about that.

06 October, 2014

jaybear's avatar

Finland Finland

The licorice blast in the top notes is huge, lovely licorice of smoky and herbal sort. After a while the licorice fades away and the smokiness starts to resemble burnt wood and rubber. There's always some sweetness and a good amount of spices in the background. In a few hours the vanilla-scented woody base comes forward. Sillage and longevity are good. All in all this reminds me of Bulgari Black in a way. I'm not surprised because they both are composed by Annick Ménardo who is a real smasher! It has to be the burnt rubber note, but Au Masculin has spices and sweetness where Black has flowery notes. A very, very good fragrance, indeed.

28 August, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

A crossbreed of JPG Le Male and YSL Body Kouros, however much lighter and more wearable than the former mentioned. Strong note of licorice, that is aniseed note and rum Indeed it smells like some sweet candy that would give its best during milder weather seasons, such as spring or autumn, maybe even winter but not the summer. Two main reasons why I bought Au Masculine is that I wanted to try it + I got it quite cheap. Now that I have it, considering the extent of my collection, I find it to be somewhat redundant, but something makes me smell my forearm every then and so, thus it'll get its chance. I am looking forward to autumn when temperatures and occasions will be in favour of this well blended fragrance.

08 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

This is basically a very sweet gourmand woody oriental scent with a generous dollop of anise or licorice on top and a good deal of sweet powder underneath. Wearing Lolita Lempicka pour Homme, I’m briefly reminded of Yohji Homme, perhaps because of the licorice note. Briefly, because Lolita Lempicka au Masculin’s licorice is married to a monstrous, grating synthetic woody base note.

At first it seems as if the cool, bittersweet licorice accord might actually manage to balance the crude foundation, but instead it loses ground steadily until, after an hour, it’s completely overcome. The base notes are as loud as they are banal, and project for yards around me. I can report that Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is also murder to scrub off, and I still smell it after raking my skin raw with a stiff brush and hot water. Too bad – without that nasty foundation it could a’ been a contender…

19 June, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Unique, playful, sexy, childish, and almost edible bitter-sweet!

One of the most interesting perfumes I've come across. This is like walking through a fairy tale storybook. Think Hansel & Gretel, think a Midsummer Night's Dream, think Peter Pan, even Tim Burton. The marketing matches this very well I think.

This is centred on Liquorice, it has that sweet, herbal smell, as the liquorice is joined with Ivy and Basil and Anise and violet leaf, then soaked in rum, drying down to a chocolate and vanilla praline-like, almost nutty type smell. This really is unlike anything I've come across (especially for a man)!

I find it sweet, but not in that creamy cloying gourmand kind of way. To me, it's quite dark. The liquorice is paired with rum and has a kind of herbal, almost borderline medicinal smell. To me it's the opposite of creamy, it's like dry liquorice and anise flavoured alcohol. But don't let that put you off, it's done in a very nice way with the nutty, praline-like drydown. It's quite addictive.

I can see a lot of women liking this one. It plays on the mentality that women like sweet smells on a man (read: an edible quality). I can see this being great for clubbing as it will really cut through the atmosphere and is unlike ANY other smell out there. Annick Menardo is known for taking risks with male fragrances, she's known for being different, and this one certainly is unique. She also did Body Kouros for Yves Saint-Laurent and Bvlgari Black. I would say that this fragrance is a more playful, flirting version of Body Kouros, the other being more seriously seductive, this gives off a romantic and almost childishly playful-type vibe.

With that in mind, I could probably see this on a younger crowd, it would work really well there, but it's dry enough to work even on an older guy who wants something really different and unique that he won't smell anywhere else. For application I think using less sprays would be preferable, as not everyone would like the sweet quality this has to offer, and mainly for only night time use in the summer, but can be used anytime during the cooler seasons, just never on a very warm or exceedingly hot day.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is completely unique for a male fragrance! It's playful, sweet, flirtatious, and unlike anything out there for men. It really does feel magical... In a word, enchanting!

19 June, 2014

ingcamiloforero's avatar

Bad Choice

Smells like woman cheap make up... I don't like it at all.

Pros: Packing
    Cons:

21st May, 2013

Swanky's avatar

Au Masculin is sweet in the way Brit for Men is sweet, which is to say that I don't find them of the dessert variety. Neither strikes me as overly gourmand, mercifully, since I tire quickly of cookie dough note breakdowns.

Plenty of others have captured the flavor (and aroma) of this one. As someone who does not like black licorice, I surprisingly find this lovely and wearable. Nicely done, LL.

01st May, 2013

tropicalstorm's avatar

An acquired taste. Especially if you don't live anywhere near South America and haven't been exposed to some of the ingredients before.
    This perfume oozes pure sexiness.

06 April, 2013

Vexel's avatar

I was prepared not to like this, having skeptically accepted the advice that even someone that does not care for the taste of black licorice/anise could find a spot in their heart for this juice. That said, I'm sad to report that this is not the case for me. Based on my personal experience -I do not have any reason to believe that someone that doesn't care for the taste of licorice/anise would find this cologne something they could wear.- The licorice note is, as most people agree, very, very pronounced. If you don't like it, don't waste your money, period.

That said, the longer it wears, the more that anise bomb fades to reveal a beautiful, slightly green base where the vanilla and something floral (the violet?) really shines through to me. And boy does this stuff last. Sillage is great to excellent and I could still smell this stuff on my skin twelve hours later when I went to take a shower. I have feeling it could have survived a decent deal longer if I hadn't washed it off too- very nice.

I give this a neutral review because the base underneath all the licorice yuk is quite good and the longevity is really something to write home about for the price category this falls into. If you like anise, I don't see any reason you won't love this stuff.

30th March, 2013

Tony T's avatar

sillage and projection monster. heavy on aniss and vanilla. top notes could have been more projectable but otherwise a great sweet cheap scent..

09 February, 2013

warho15's avatar

I'm one of those guys who wears the original Lolita Lempicka when I want to make an impact - most likely a wintery clubbing night, where the herbal fruit floral cuts through the air like a very pleasant machete. Because of this, I was a little worried that the Au Masculin would be a similar bombastic experience, but with a bunch of out-of-place oakmoss shoved in for weight and seriousness.

Thank goodness this wasn't the case! This is definitely a more masculine take on the LL franchise, and would even be suitable for a day in the office, but it thankfully retains all of the whimsy that makes this line special.

Compared to the original fragrance, Au Masculin is the slightly more responsible, yet just as poetic older brother to the iconic apple-bottled scent. This fragrance is a lighter, more airy take on a similar woody and herbal theme - sweet and dry at just the right places.

Au Masculin opens with a cool blast of anise overtop a slightly sweet vegetal aura, the drier, woody base faintly in the distance, but still grounding the work with its presence. As the fragrance develops over the next hour or two, it takes on a more sweet, foody tone - like fresh baked cookies or freshly made candy, but with the sweetness tuned down just enough to make the violets legible -- almost like a sepia-toned photograph of licorice flavored items on a silvery filigreed plate.

As the scent dries down, it becomes rather dry and sexy, effortlessly masculine. The magical thing is that it always retains that initial sparkle of bright anise, even as it smoothes and fades into the background, it is still present.

Overall, this is an entirely bewitching and enchanting scent, good for day wear or on a night when you're almost sure someone will be nestling their head near your chest...be waiting for a contented sigh either way.

14 January, 2013

's avatar

This is heavy and powerful. Actually it's extremely sweet with huge projection, lasting power and sillage. It may be cloying. I pick mostly anise and vanilla notes. If you like sweet fragrances, this is a must have. I like it, but sometimes turns my stomach.

04 January, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

It's a good, pleasant sweet fragrance. Definitely anise heavy, kinda candyish. Body Kouros is similar to my nose. Idk, it's good, but once you enter the sweet masculine realm, there are choices that blow this out of the water.
    However, its price is good, so if you can't afford more expensive sweet fragrances, this one is a great choice.

06 December, 2012

The Monaco's avatar

Germany Germany

This is really awful. On paper as well as on my skin, in the first two hours I smell nothing but a certain kind of cheap asian food.
    It's fine if you are hungry but it's nothing I'd like tom smell after. And I wouldn't like others to smell like this.
    Then I tried to scrub it off but you can't now after about 6 hours the food smell is gone an a very sweet floral scent remains. Very good for a woman, I think but nothing for a man.
    Thumbs down - bad stinker.

13 September, 2012

Shanu's avatar

This is a perfect gourmand fragrance for me,its is no beast when it comes to projection but it has a decent longevity,keep it for those special occasions when you have to get close to someone,an intimate dating fragrance to be specific.
    trust me your girl would love this fragrance on you,what i get out of it is a tiny punch of tobacco definitely not overpowering,lots of violet and the dry down of vanilla,the bottom notes resemble JPG's Le Male just the similar dry down just a bit sexier.
    If you love gourmands then this is a definite buy
    Projection-6/10
    Longevity-8/10
    Versatility-7/10
    Overall-8/10

11th September, 2012

Roge''s avatar

Its a thumbs up for me but i can see why it wouldnt work for someone else.You have to be open minded to like this one. Nice bottle if you care about presentation...

10th June, 2012

Smells good on ya's avatar

I like this one, spicey anise and absinthe notes, i also get that faint root beer as well. Real Absintheur here and i like root beer, so win win. After a couple hours I get something quite close to Gaiac 10. Longevity lacks for sure, but just reapply and your good. Projection is balanced, not overwhelming. Thumbs up!!

07 June, 2012

surge's avatar

Very similar to Le Male and Amouage's Reflection Man, but sweeter.
    Not bad, but not that great either.
    Neutral :D

15 April, 2012

RandomKillsTime's avatar

This does not smell nice. I threw away my 95% full bottle.

It smells like anise/liquorice mixed with make-up(lipstick, foundation...). It is sweet but not in a nice way. The bottle feels and looks tacky.

24 March, 2012

DanWano's avatar

What you get at the beginning its basically anis and vanilla, and you have a good nose you will get the violet also. Its a pleasant smell but imo more a unisex fragrance because of the vanilla. I would probably like that on a woman but not on me. I saw someone mentioning Root Beer and i agree. Worth a try.

09 March, 2012

ed_r's avatar

After blind buying this perfume online i have been somewhat underwhelmed by this fragrance. It is not a raw masculine cologne (a fragrance of this kind would perhaps be more to my taste) but it is a fairly sweet eau - with a the scent of absinthe + jaggermeister coming through for me personally.
    However i always do give colognes a chance to see the reaction of other people. After a few days of wearing it i have had several compliments (all from women) which is a higher strike rate than my previous fragrances.
    However it does seem that it has a short longevity and needs to be re-applied within 3 hours or so, otherwise it will have faded significantly. Projection is decent yet not overpowering.

25 February, 2012

SMCinJPN's avatar

I recently discovered Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. It smells like root beer to me. I absolutely love it (and have no problem smelling like root beer). It has become my winter scent of choice. It's the kind of fragrance that is definitely unique and memorable. I just wish it had longer staying power. After about four hours I feel like I need to re-apply.

30th January, 2012

Sylver's avatar

Great fragrance. Strong licorice followed by a dry and linear vanilla note. A must try, careful that it can get powdery for some. Lovely projection and sillage. Thumbs up !

15 January, 2012

laurentiupopa79's avatar

Romania Romania

It's a masculine scent all the way. Profound and deep, woody and all-in-one by timing. It can be worn on a daytime casual basis and by night.

On the downside, it has a damn small longevity. 1 hour - 1 hour and a half on my skin.

22 November, 2011

FISS80's avatar

One of my favorite fragrances. Opens up with a very strong licorice with a dry vanilla note in the background. The licorice(aniseed)remains at the forefront for about a half an hour and then the dry vanilla comes to the front and remains the dominant note for the remainder of the fragrance with the aniseed never completely exiting the lineup but still fulfulling a very necessary role to hold the composition together. One of the best drydowns I have every smelled. One of the few designer fragrances I would easily pay double retail to own.(Thankfully I dont have to :))

29 October, 2011

KillerScent's avatar

Great scent , at first notes you get a mix of aniseed and resinous-like smell .When it dries down, the aniseed remains and you also get a sweet smell . with vanilla as the dominant note .
    This is very similar to Le Male, but much better, more manly .Longevity is great and projection is average .
    Great unknown

21st October, 2011

bejahu's avatar

I've changed my mind on this one. My initial review was negative, but I've since then become a big fan.

I love the smell of anise and violets. The opening was a delightful blast of anise. The anise lasts throughout the middle notes as well when the violets start to appear . The dry drown is excellent and envelopes you in a soft cloud of vanilla and warm cedar. Longevity and projection are pretty good. I'm getting 5-7 hours on my skin.

07 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2012)

nezdelacoreé's avatar

South Korea South Korea

As Shakespeare said, a Bulgari Black by any other name would smell as sweet...or was that Annick Menardo? There is an overwhelming similarity between Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and Bulgari Black! They have the same cedar-vanilla dynamic going on in the heart and base, and once those top notes are gone, that's what you're left with--a powdery gourmand, just daring you to get sick of it. I liked both BB and LLaM more the first time I sampled them, and now that I own bottles of both, I find them a little overwhelming and a little cloying in the drydown. If only that green ivy note could hang around for longer--it does a lot to balance the fragrance out, and makes it smell less like my grandma's baking supplies cupboard. I *do* think that LLaM can be worn by women, contrary to what some reviewers have said, even if the rum in the top notes gives it a masculine feel at first.

15 June, 2011

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

Yuck!!

Got this as a gift from a very special person in 2010, but I couldn't get to like it. Totally funky edge to this - bottle and designer brand, but I actually had to search for this fragrance online to see if it really was masculine.

The scent was irritating to the nose - made me sneeze and caused the asthmatics in the house to say how "bad" it was. Very industrialised scent; not natural at all.

Certainly wouldn't buy this.

31st May, 2011

Anup's avatar

Annick Menardo is pure genius.

This scent gives you an initial slap of anice in the face which, after about 20 mins tones down, and lets the rich vanilla, ceder, ivy, and rum come into play. It is feminine in a way, but on the other hand, not nearly as feminine as some other LL scents. This reminds me of camping in the woods and waking up in the morning to a humid 75 degree climate, Smells like sweet moist forest air.

Amazing, worth a try at the least.

20th April, 2011