Positive Reviews of Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Find out more about Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Surreal's avatar

If only there was not so intense this Aniseed note from opening until drydown....
    Its an great gourmand that opens up quit fresh with this anise note and dries down to a sweet gourmand that IMO has some common notes with body Kouros which is also excellent scent.
    It has good longevity and projects well ,I think none would have problem about that.

06 October, 2014

jaybear's avatar

Finland Finland

The licorice blast in the top notes is huge, lovely licorice of smoky and herbal sort. After a while the licorice fades away and the smokiness starts to resemble burnt wood and rubber. There's always some sweetness and a good amount of spices in the background. In a few hours the vanilla-scented woody base comes forward. Sillage and longevity are good. All in all this reminds me of Bulgari Black in a way. I'm not surprised because they both are composed by Annick Ménardo who is a real smasher! It has to be the burnt rubber note, but Au Masculin has spices and sweetness where Black has flowery notes. A very, very good fragrance, indeed.

28 August, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

A crossbreed of JPG Le Male and YSL Body Kouros, however much lighter and more wearable than the former mentioned. Strong note of licorice, that is aniseed note and rum Indeed it smells like some sweet candy that would give its best during milder weather seasons, such as spring or autumn, maybe even winter but not the summer. Two main reasons why I bought Au Masculine is that I wanted to try it + I got it quite cheap. Now that I have it, considering the extent of my collection, I find it to be somewhat redundant, but something makes me smell my forearm every then and so, thus it'll get its chance. I am looking forward to autumn when temperatures and occasions will be in favour of this well blended fragrance.

08 August, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Unique, playful, sexy, childish, and almost edible bitter-sweet!

One of the most interesting perfumes I've come across. This is like walking through a fairy tale storybook. Think Hansel & Gretel, think a Midsummer Night's Dream, think Peter Pan, even Tim Burton. The marketing matches this very well I think.

This is centred on Liquorice, it has that sweet, herbal smell, as the liquorice is joined with Ivy and Basil and Anise and violet leaf, then soaked in rum, drying down to a chocolate and vanilla praline-like, almost nutty type smell. This really is unlike anything I've come across (especially for a man)!

I find it sweet, but not in that creamy cloying gourmand kind of way. To me, it's quite dark. The liquorice is paired with rum and has a kind of herbal, almost borderline medicinal smell. To me it's the opposite of creamy, it's like dry liquorice and anise flavoured alcohol. But don't let that put you off, it's done in a very nice way with the nutty, praline-like drydown. It's quite addictive.

I can see a lot of women liking this one. It plays on the mentality that women like sweet smells on a man (read: an edible quality). I can see this being great for clubbing as it will really cut through the atmosphere and is unlike ANY other smell out there. Annick Menardo is known for taking risks with male fragrances, she's known for being different, and this one certainly is unique. She also did Body Kouros for Yves Saint-Laurent and Bvlgari Black. I would say that this fragrance is a more playful, flirting version of Body Kouros, the other being more seriously seductive, this gives off a romantic and almost childishly playful-type vibe.

With that in mind, I could probably see this on a younger crowd, it would work really well there, but it's dry enough to work even on an older guy who wants something really different and unique that he won't smell anywhere else. For application I think using less sprays would be preferable, as not everyone would like the sweet quality this has to offer, and mainly for only night time use in the summer, but can be used anytime during the cooler seasons, just never on a very warm or exceedingly hot day.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is completely unique for a male fragrance! It's playful, sweet, flirtatious, and unlike anything out there for men. It really does feel magical... In a word, enchanting!

19 June, 2014

Swanky's avatar

Au Masculin is sweet in the way Brit for Men is sweet, which is to say that I don't find them of the dessert variety. Neither strikes me as overly gourmand, mercifully, since I tire quickly of cookie dough note breakdowns.

Plenty of others have captured the flavor (and aroma) of this one. As someone who does not like black licorice, I surprisingly find this lovely and wearable. Nicely done, LL.

01st May, 2013

tropicalstorm's avatar

An acquired taste. Especially if you don't live anywhere near South America and haven't been exposed to some of the ingredients before.
    This perfume oozes pure sexiness.

06 April, 2013

Tony T's avatar

sillage and projection monster. heavy on aniss and vanilla. top notes could have been more projectable but otherwise a great sweet cheap scent..

09 February, 2013

warho15's avatar

I'm one of those guys who wears the original Lolita Lempicka when I want to make an impact - most likely a wintery clubbing night, where the herbal fruit floral cuts through the air like a very pleasant machete. Because of this, I was a little worried that the Au Masculin would be a similar bombastic experience, but with a bunch of out-of-place oakmoss shoved in for weight and seriousness.

Thank goodness this wasn't the case! This is definitely a more masculine take on the LL franchise, and would even be suitable for a day in the office, but it thankfully retains all of the whimsy that makes this line special.

Compared to the original fragrance, Au Masculin is the slightly more responsible, yet just as poetic older brother to the iconic apple-bottled scent. This fragrance is a lighter, more airy take on a similar woody and herbal theme - sweet and dry at just the right places.

Au Masculin opens with a cool blast of anise overtop a slightly sweet vegetal aura, the drier, woody base faintly in the distance, but still grounding the work with its presence. As the fragrance develops over the next hour or two, it takes on a more sweet, foody tone - like fresh baked cookies or freshly made candy, but with the sweetness tuned down just enough to make the violets legible -- almost like a sepia-toned photograph of licorice flavored items on a silvery filigreed plate.

As the scent dries down, it becomes rather dry and sexy, effortlessly masculine. The magical thing is that it always retains that initial sparkle of bright anise, even as it smoothes and fades into the background, it is still present.

Overall, this is an entirely bewitching and enchanting scent, good for day wear or on a night when you're almost sure someone will be nestling their head near your chest...be waiting for a contented sigh either way.

14 January, 2013

's avatar

This is heavy and powerful. Actually it's extremely sweet with huge projection, lasting power and sillage. It may be cloying. I pick mostly anise and vanilla notes. If you like sweet fragrances, this is a must have. I like it, but sometimes turns my stomach.

04 January, 2013

Shanu's avatar

This is a perfect gourmand fragrance for me,its is no beast when it comes to projection but it has a decent longevity,keep it for those special occasions when you have to get close to someone,an intimate dating fragrance to be specific.
    trust me your girl would love this fragrance on you,what i get out of it is a tiny punch of tobacco definitely not overpowering,lots of violet and the dry down of vanilla,the bottom notes resemble JPG's Le Male just the similar dry down just a bit sexier.
    If you love gourmands then this is a definite buy
    Projection-6/10
    Longevity-8/10
    Versatility-7/10
    Overall-8/10

11th September, 2012

Roge''s avatar

Its a thumbs up for me but i can see why it wouldnt work for someone else.You have to be open minded to like this one. Nice bottle if you care about presentation...

10th June, 2012

Smells good on ya's avatar

I like this one, spicey anise and absinthe notes, i also get that faint root beer as well. Real Absintheur here and i like root beer, so win win. After a couple hours I get something quite close to Gaiac 10. Longevity lacks for sure, but just reapply and your good. Projection is balanced, not overwhelming. Thumbs up!!

07 June, 2012

SMCinJPN's avatar

I recently discovered Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. It smells like root beer to me. I absolutely love it (and have no problem smelling like root beer). It has become my winter scent of choice. It's the kind of fragrance that is definitely unique and memorable. I just wish it had longer staying power. After about four hours I feel like I need to re-apply.

30th January, 2012

Sylver's avatar

Great fragrance. Strong licorice followed by a dry and linear vanilla note. A must try, careful that it can get powdery for some. Lovely projection and sillage. Thumbs up !

15 January, 2012

FISS80's avatar

One of my favorite fragrances. Opens up with a very strong licorice with a dry vanilla note in the background. The licorice(aniseed)remains at the forefront for about a half an hour and then the dry vanilla comes to the front and remains the dominant note for the remainder of the fragrance with the aniseed never completely exiting the lineup but still fulfulling a very necessary role to hold the composition together. One of the best drydowns I have every smelled. One of the few designer fragrances I would easily pay double retail to own.(Thankfully I dont have to :))

29 October, 2011

KillerScent's avatar

Great scent , at first notes you get a mix of aniseed and resinous-like smell .When it dries down, the aniseed remains and you also get a sweet smell . with vanilla as the dominant note .
    This is very similar to Le Male, but much better, more manly .Longevity is great and projection is average .
    Great unknown

21st October, 2011

bejahu's avatar

I've changed my mind on this one. My initial review was negative, but I've since then become a big fan.

I love the smell of anise and violets. The opening was a delightful blast of anise. The anise lasts throughout the middle notes as well when the violets start to appear . The dry drown is excellent and envelopes you in a soft cloud of vanilla and warm cedar. Longevity and projection are pretty good. I'm getting 5-7 hours on my skin.

07 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2012)

Anup's avatar

Annick Menardo is pure genius.

This scent gives you an initial slap of anice in the face which, after about 20 mins tones down, and lets the rich vanilla, ceder, ivy, and rum come into play. It is feminine in a way, but on the other hand, not nearly as feminine as some other LL scents. This reminds me of camping in the woods and waking up in the morning to a humid 75 degree climate, Smells like sweet moist forest air.

Amazing, worth a try at the least.

20th April, 2011

Mapletop's avatar

Starts off with black licorice then vanilla, hints of the green ivy underneath. I like how this fragrance develops. On the dry down I get some watery notes that are great, maybe the barley water, or the rock rose.

18 February, 2011

manicboy's avatar

A rather simple blend of anise and vanilla that at first seems off-putting if you don't like anise. But the anise gives way to the delightful vanilla and praline that smells exquisite and certainly doesn't last long. A strong first few hours then nothing. If only Menardo could have figured out how to prolong the drydown, this could have been a masterpiece. Spray it on a fabric to prolong the glory. Despite this, I give LLaM, a positive review.

25 December, 2010

Indie_Guy's avatar

Body Kouros meets Mat; Very Male. Expect the compliments to be Good n' Plenty.

21st December, 2010

Euphoria's avatar

Overwhelming, dreamy liqorice and anise. Strong and sweet at first, dries down to be one of the best drydowns i've encountered, projects well, only downside is... well, nothing.
    And also; THIS. IS. NOT. UNISEX. I know girls would like to wear this but don't. It's a tad too masculine.

01st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2010)

SirScent's avatar

This is the scent of walking into a wonderful candy store in your dreams.
    The Anise is strong but I like that. Even though this is a sweet fragrance it still comes through with some masculinity. I agree though with the reviewer who stated there is something in here that steals the air. (Still have not figured out what the note is but I could do without it). Lempicka Au Masculin lasts forever so be careful upon application. A great one to keep for those special times when you just want to take the trip to somewhere different. The bottle alone is worth the price of admission....

18 September, 2010

Goldaline's avatar

I bought this fragrance for my husband and he loves it. So do I. It is a well-balanced gourmand that is far more interesting and distinctive than Mugler's 'A Men'.The anise and licorice notes make it unique among men's fragrances and these contrast well with the warmth and sensual sweetness of the vanilla note. It has a good but subtle sillage and it comes in an exquisitely unusual bottle.

While the women's LL gives me a bad headache (because it is too sweet and cloying), I can smell and enjoy the men's LL all day long.....

20th August, 2010

shamu1's avatar

One of my most treasured fragrances in my large collection. When I put this on, I'm not just putting on a cologne. I feel like I'm adding a new and valuable experience to my life every time I wear this scent. I realize that sounds corny and overly dramatic, but this fragrance really is that good.

From start to finish, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is exotic, dreamy and magical, leaving a soft, beautiful purple-hued cloud of warm spice around you. It is not an inherently masculine scent, but it doesn't matter. I love this scent more than most of the big macho powerhouse colognes in my collection. If this brings out some sort of feminine side to my character, then so be it. I don't care.

Similarities to Body Kouros? Sure, in that both use anise prominently, but not in quality. Where LLAM envelops you in a romantic cloud of exotic spice from far off lands, Body Kouros envelops you in a stench of licorice scented diapers. There's no contest there.

This is a truly stunning fragrance that I will never want to be without.

MY RATING: 10/10

14 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)

orrisboy's avatar

I love the magic of Annick Menardo. This is a glorious scent, an addictive smudged blend of praline, velvet violet and aniseed. It shouldn't work, but it does beautifully. I normally wear the women's version, I like the Rapunzel-in-the-tower weirdness it has. But I go through bottles of this. The Yohji scent is mentioned a lot with this, but I prefer LL, creamier and I feel like Robin Hood dashing through the forest when i wear it........bow drawn, trailing crushed green and smashed sweetness as I go. Michael Praed as Robin….. not Mr Crowe........

08 July, 2010

Marshmellow's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Expecting it to be a gourmand, I was very used to the usual chocolate/coffee/immediate vanilla notes usually present in a gourmand fragrance. I did not expect this one to be any different. Boy was I wrong.

What I get initially is a nice warm Anise note, for those of you who are familiar with the seed, imagine crushed Anise with Black Liquorice in a mortar, followed by a dash of sweetness. This is exactly what it smells like to me. This scent just cuts right through the cold for me.

One thing to note, don't confuse the Anise with the Star Anise, they are similar but they smell very different. For those of you living in South East Asia who are familiar with the Star Anise in Asian cooking, don't think that the Anise note in Lolita Lempicka smells like that. It's very different. The Anethole note in Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is evident.

The Black Liquorice note does not have the "stinging" finish that most people are familiar with, I'm referring to the sharp sign-board smell telling you that, "Hey that's Liquorice" rather this note is extremely well-blended with the Anise and it took me quite awhile to identify it. Very unique.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin will maintain this Anise/Liquorice note very well throughout its lifespan, those of you who are Anise/Liquorice lovers will adore this fragrance. I believe it is very well balanced because the Anise/Liquorice has a foundation of vanilla the bottom, to me it does not scream Anise/Liquorice as most would assert, because I feel that this fragrance blends these ingredients very well. Like Rochas Man, with the coffee note and vanilla, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin mixes the Anise/Liquorice very nicely with the vanilla.

For those of you who love Rochas Man's coffee/vanilla note, don't expect any Mocha sweetness here, this is a different kind of sweetness. For those of you who love something bold/confident/unique/refreshing, this is for you.

09 June, 2010

w3pearl's avatar

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
    Drink and the devil had done for the rest
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

:))

or, if you get bored, start counting.

99 bottles of rum on the wall, 99 bottles of rum; Take one down, pass it along, 98 bottles of rum on the wall!
    98 bottles of rum on the wall, 98 bottles of rum; Take one down, pass it along, 97 bottles of rum on the wall!

It does smell a looooot better than the women's version. It's a nice scent, actually. More unisex, but ok. It's what both Jack Sparrow and his gal would wear. :)

THUMBS UP!!! it smells great! and happy~! so boozy!

14 April, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Starts off like black licorice and turns into vanilla wafers. Sillage on this is interesting because it comes and goes, but its never very heavy. I found Lolita Lempicka to work amazingly in the heat -- on a very humid day in sunny Florida. Fantastic sweet fragrance.. one of the best gourmands around.

03 April, 2010

Shifty Bat's avatar

I'm starting to feel like Menardo tapped into my dreams to formulate some of these fragrances. LLaM is a tidal wave of sweet, unabated licorice and anise tempered (barely) with vanilla and some soft green notes. For those that don't like licorice this must seem like a dense fogbank made of nightmares. For me, it's a heavenly aura that lasts ALL DAY. I'm not always in the mood for its intensity but on those days I am nothing else will do. On the downside it makes me thirst for absinthe, which I love but can seldom afford :(

Update: I brew my own absinthe now. Solved! Still one of my favorite frags after all this time, too.

25 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2013)