Positive Reviews of LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

Find out more about LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jtd's avatar
    jtd

...say nothing at all

I got two blind buys on the same day. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cherie par Camille reinforces the blind buy.  If I were to mistake my lucky randomness for logic I would never have to smell another perfume before buying again, because it’s brilliant.  Penhaligon’s Love Potion no 9 makes me want to repent for my sin of blind-buying, and I’m not even a Christian.  A 50 mL bottle was $25 at a discount store, so not an enormous loss. Still, foolish.

As much as I promote gender non-specificity in perfume use, there is a vocabulary of contemporary perfume that is gendered. LP falls into the ‘male’ category. It brings to mind a sneering prick.  It smells of masculine narcissism, conformity and unrecognized low self-esteem. I hate this perfume. It’s the nightmarish mirror-image of a specific era of the fougere: the musky, floral fougere that became extinct with the advent of Cool Water.  Rememeber Paco Rabanne Tenere?  Givenchy Xeryus?  LP is the cloying, unbalanced version of this style. Spicy musky, in Tenere and Xeryus, is turned to a rising nausea in LP no 9. Just say no.

Blind buying: will it be winning the lottery, as was the case with the Goutal, or the penance for transgression, as in the Penhaligon’s?  As my boyfriend captures the essence of karma with his southern charm, “God don’t like ugly.” I suppose I deserve to be punished for my bad choice.

from scenthurdle.com

19 May, 2013

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

This is a rich, spicy semi-oriental. I am not generally drawn to orintals, especially if they are at all vegetal, but I like this. It has a slight apple pie vibe that is very cosy. The citrus in the top nots is fresh and soon fades away to fruit and spice and then finally into musk and amber. Certainly a great scent for the right occasion and could be interesting to wear this cosy, sexy, spicy evening scent with a pinstripe suit, for example, just for the contrast. I also smell a mint note in the drydown. Not my very favorite from Penhaligon's but very nice!

04 April, 2013

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I happened to be browsing in a perfume boutique the other day, searching for ideas for a fragrance for my boyfriend. I had begun to complain to the sales assistant about his smoking habit interfering with anything perfume-wise, when she recommended LP No.9 for Men.

The moment I smelt this, I understood why she introduced it to me. This fragrance is all about the spices and it actually smells like something a bad-boy smoker in a leather jacket would wear.

Forget all that love potion nonsense, this is rough, manly and sexy. I hesitated to buy this for my man because I was afraid that every woman in sight would want to jump him if he wore this in public.

The cloves, geranium, pepper, orange and nutmeg are quite prominent throughout the composition, although there is a hint of sweetness every now and then, possibly brought about by the cinnamon, and what could be vanilla.

The spices in LP No.9 for Men are more animalistic than exotic. Don't expect a spice bazaar in this particular fragrance. By the drydown I can almost detect a hint of caramel, so there are sweet aspects to this as well.

Unfortunately the lasting power isn't all that wonderful, tending to vanish after six hours into almost nothing. I would love it if this were more intense and lasting. Yet overall, I am quite impressed, with this fragrance being a great introduction to the house of Penhaligon's.

14 April, 2012

digger51's avatar
    digger51

I bought this blind off Craig's list and I had no idea what to expect, but the price was right. LP No. 9 is a very nice warm spice scent. It is well crafted and nothing jumps out to overpower anything else. I do not own any other spice scents (except Old Spice) so this is a welcome additions to my wardrobe.

If you like your scents on the spice side then you will like LP No. 9.

13 April, 2012

mrblah's avatar
    mrblah

This is by far the wildest fragrance from Penhaligon's lineup. To me it starts off smelling like Dr. Pepper/PIB or black licorice opening (some say stale bubblegum), that slowly transitions to cloves, and black pepper, and finally to a vanilla/amber/musk ending. There isn't anything sweet or airy about this scent. I don't think anything is sexy about this scent, but because its so rich and so complex, people will be intrigued by this scent.

I think you have to be really confident to pull this fragrance off. If you are confident you can wear this anywhere, but IMHO, its probably more suited for a formal, evening event.

If James Bond had a signature scent it would be LP No. 9.

02 October, 2011

drseid's avatar
    drseid

LP is a good spicy scent, opening with some nice brief citrus top notes before making a quick transition to plenty of clove, other spices and even a hint of cinnamon in its heart. The only gripe I have with LP is the sweet vanilla and amber dry-down that somehow seems a bit out of place with the rest of the scent. Excellent longevity and sillage here with LP No. 9. 3 stars out of 5.

15 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Very spicy and exotic in a way that reminds me of the Orient. It gets sweeter on the drydown and the sillage reins itself in after many hours. A good evening fragrance though you have to be easy on the trigger as it's quite potent.

09 May, 2011

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Whoa -- we are in Clove City!

The sweet cloves and spicy balsam are all you really get here and for a long time - the woods are bit players and the citrus top is gone in an instant. It's very masculine and pretty loud -- you'll need to be careful when spraying. I usually have one oriental in rotation as I am not the genre's biggest fan and I thought I wouldn't go for this, but I have two now as I love it to bits.

17 March, 2010

saxifrage's avatar
    saxifrage

Honestly, I hate orientals. I'm just not big into the opulence and sweetness. It tends to get old to me after a while and then I get a headache. Keeping that in mind -- I absolutely ADORE this stuff. I tried a decant and one spray was enough. I had to spring for a full bottle. The bubblegum bit is spot on. This has a distinctively minty/clovy effect that is like some type of old fashioned candy. It dries down into honey and caramel sweetness. I normally don't like such warm/sweet/gooey scents, but this one is an absolute guilty pleasure. I get compliments left and right when I wear this! The staying power is amazing -- I can wear it and go to bed to wake up with warm sweet murmurs of this still resonating on my skin and I love every single second of it. Penhaligon's should really diversify this line into shaving creams, body lotions, deodorants, etc. I can see why some might tire of it -- normally I would too -- but that's where the eccentricities of taste come in. I don't like this genre at all, but I'm glad I kept an open mind and tried this one anyway. I prefer this to Endymion hands down as the "sweet, modern oriental" in the Penhaligon's line.

01st December, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 February, 2010)

nenuquito's avatar
    nenuquito

One of the houses' richer, but modern offerings. It has a little bit of everything; a citrusy top, lots of floriental aroma and woody undertones, but it is on the potent side for a Penhaligon's fragrance. It is still fresh though, and I could see a woman wearing this too. It certainly is much more agreeable then its earlier counterpart, and does smell rather seductive and will certainly get one noticed. This is a fragrance to wear when going out for the night and put someone under your sexy spell ;)

19 November, 2009

chaosman's avatar
    chaosman

I often wonder if people actually ever smell fragrances or just write about them? This smells nothing like Opium. I have both Opium EdT and Parfum and Opium smells way more generic and oriental than this frag. LP no 9 has more of a bubblegum sweet open and is a more complex mixture. This one gets me a lot of compliments and lasts a long time. The middle notes and base notes are great as well. I think it evolves quite nicely and its more expensive because its a very high quality fragrance. You can just tell from the opening spray.

09 September, 2009

Chelsea's avatar
    Chelsea

On first application this stunner is eye wateringly potent. Not in a good way. There is a distinct whiff of two stroke petrol in there as the first drops hit my skin, not unlike Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia....but forget the opulent leather seats and polished wood interiors of SMNN, for that is where the similarity ends. LP9 dries down rapidly, rolling languidly towards a soft powdery luxuriance, after a few semi drunken hiccups of clove and bitter nutmeg. After a roller coaster ride of half an hour or so, this leaves a soft, seductive trail, which managed to last me a good 12 hours. Not bad at all.

07 August, 2009

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Despite the sixteen ingredients listed above, Penhaligon's own site lists only six for this scent - and none of the two lists coincide for a moment. The site lists: Ylang Ylang, Spices, Iris, Clove, Vanilla, Patchouli. Mind you, all my nose picks up is the blend of iris, patchouli and vanilla - also the scent is to my nose identical to Prada for Men. Who copied whom? The 1999 date for LP #9 predates the Prada, but since the ingredients don't compare, who knows if the formula is correct. This may be a new Penhaligon's, taking advantage of the market for Prada.

One question: Why copy a cologne already on the market, which can be purchased for 2/3 less than the Penhaligon's price? One can find Prada for as little as $36-$46, while Penhaligon's always sells in the $80 range.

The scent is marvelous - warm, woody and sensual. However, I feel its "tweediness" is more suited to the executive board room than to a title of "Love Potion #9." I can't imagine this turning on anyone, just getting someone to notice you. The first step, not the entire process of seduction.

02 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2011)

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Wowsers! Why on earth did they discontinue this beauty?! Thank goodness its back! I must say I only get a "suggestion" of Opium PH, as in along the same lines. This is far better IMO. I really don't like Opium PH, but this has a wonderful spice that Opium is missing. A far better fragrance IMO.

07 December, 2008

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

if you are looking for a a version of Opium/YSL which is not as intense and dense, then LP no.9 is just the right one for you. openin accords throw some minty bubblegum note for you to chew upon, the same note which was earleir made famous by opium. this progresses the very same way ,except this is much for "cleaner" than opium and is easily a daily wear as opposed to the mighty YSL.

it has the very same peppry accord and the Tolu Balsam accord which makes this one a strong contender for beinga release which is quite obvious, a balant rip off.

However, given that no two scents could be made exactly the same way, give this one a try if you feel Opium is not refined enough for you to take. a thumbs up coz this ones a rip off well done.

13 June, 2008

foetidus

Suave. LP No. 9 flows into being rather than 'opens.' It is a smooth, not sharp, citrus opening – somewhat opulent, deep and mellow — I find no individual note taking precedent over another — simply an excellent, sophisticated, unified accord. Then, just as smoothly, the heart notes begin to take over from the citruses, and I find myself savoring its mixed spice / herb accord. I can somewhat understand that there is cinnamon and clove and nutmeg in the accord, but again, the composite is presented as a unified and sophisticated package — and that’s what is delivered with grace and elegance. When the warm wood tones of the base move in, the spices simply move over and make room for them—they don’t disappear but rather establish a sophisticated contrast of opposites that interplay with each other’s complementary natures. I must admit that I don’t smell what several of the other reviewers experience. I don’t find an excess of notes – rather I find a counterpointal symphony. I don’t find an excess of clove (a note I am usually oversensivtive to). I also don’t find Love Potion Number Nine so much sensual as graceful, elegant, and sophisticated. However, I DO find it a try- before- you- buy fragrance.

20th May, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2008)

dandush's avatar
    dandush

One of the top notch male scents of Penhaligons. I still find it less daring and impressive than Endymion, and perhaps less inspired as well, but it's a warm and sweet scent that I use occasionally.

13 October, 2005

Scenturio's avatar
    Scenturio

One of my favourite fragrances - accidentaly a lot of my favourite scents have a monochrome black bottle, like Czech & Speake's 88, Drakkar and the quite new John Varvatos perfume. What they all have in common, too, is in my opinion a very distinct smell of their own, quite on the other side of the light and often overblended designer scents, but extremely different to the heavy, oriental ones like Amouage Gold or Mazzolari, too, both of which I sometimes could die for, too. But everything in this world has its time...

29 September, 2005