Reviews of Madigral by Molinard

Find out more about Madigral by Molinard in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Not what I'd hoped for. Madrigal has a more-or-less standard issue bergamot and lavender opening that veers a little too close to furniture polish for my taste. Once the top notes dissipate I'm left with a powdery wood accord and some sweet vanilla, but the effect is rather thin and undistinguished. A sweet vanillic drydown finishes a scent that's pleasant, but fails to excite me.

19th June, 2014

sfmedusa's avatar

This is a review of 1950s parfum.

Some of the top notes are less bright than I'd expect of a modern EdP or EdT, but for a 60 year old perfume this is still lovely. The clary sage blends beautifully with the lavender and the musk and patchouli just hum along underneath.

This fragrance is totally non gender specific to me (but then I wear many 'male' fragrances including Givenchy Gentleman) and the lovely warm comfortable base of Madrigal would be unlikely to offend anybody.

I wish I had more of this, as it would definitely be in my normal rotation.

26th April, 2014

glitteralex's avatar

This is a lovely men’s scent-classic, natural feeling, longwearing, and compelling. It has the simplicity characteristic of Molinard fragrances. Classified as a mossy, woody scent, it boasts notes of Clary Sage, Tarragon, Lavender, Juniper, & Patchouli. The earthy sweetness, ease, and comfort of this scent makes it wearable by both men and women. It seems the patchouli is tempered by tonka or vanilla, although not stated in the official notes. It is currently available in eau de toilette strength.

b.n. Madrigal is a vintage 1935 scent from the French Perfume House of Molinard. In 1993 Madrigal underwent a reformulation and was relaunched under the umbrella of the Les Masculins Collection, which includes the scents Madrigal, Vaniteck, and Rafale. Molinard, one of the three famous –ard houses of Grasse-Molinard, Fragonard, and Galimard, is a provider of fragrance essences and bases to other major fragrance houses. They maintain an open studio and perfume museum in Grasse, which can be visited by the public.

09th August, 2009

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Treading the floor of a medieval maze, brown and green underfoot, warmed by the autumn sun. And, yes, I think that's music and laughter we hear, drifting over the high hedges. Warm brown scent with green spicy undertones, friendly enough, if maybe a bit ordinary in a classy sort of way.

06th May, 2009

xxerus's avatar

France France

Nice but "soooooo" old scool... Women fragrances at Molinard's are so much interesting.... Try "Ambre" or or "Habanita" (be light when you spray) which are unisex !

15th March, 2007

rach2jlc's avatar

I see what vadim means about this one feeling a little 'dated,' but I don't get as much sweetness from Madrigal as I do tart bitterness. I think it would be a welcome addition to anybody who enjoys Caron Pour un Homme, Monsieur Balmain, or some of the men's offerings from MPG (especially Centaure). Definitely a surprise thanks to the sage and tarragon and quite unique, I'd say it's worth a try if only to see how greatly our "noses" have changed over the past forty years. I don't think we'll see a new scent anything like this one again.

07th January, 2007

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

A lush old school musk/lavender/patchouli scent. Solid and cozy, but too sweet and somewhat dated.

31st October, 2006