Reviews of Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

Find out more about Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

The opening is quite nice, a bergamot-lemon-Verbena mix that very soon has a woody-floral note added to it. A bit of patchouli and a very light musk is added too. That sounds complicated and as such could be very nice, but there is surprisingly little development in it and it is very artificial. Initially silage and projection are good, but after the first hour it is close to my skin. Decent overall longevity of about three hours. Overall a neutral score, but if one would take into consideration its
    keen pricing, a thumbs up would be justified.

19 November, 2012

Nosebud's avatar

Seeing as how this juice is about $10/ounce, its pretty darn good. Mambo reminds me of TdH because of the orange/amber/musk notes in it; sure, Mambo is spicier and doesn't have as much orange zest, but it reminds me of it just the same.

Mambo opens with some lime and spice and a hint of verbena, and is a punch in the nose initially, but settles down. It becomes a musky wood on the dry down with a ( cinnamon, cumin, and maybe coriander (but that last might be the lime fooling me.)

All-in-all, a great frag to wear on warm evenings (or to feel warm) after the initial blast if you are strapped. Thumbs up for value, maybe a neutral if it was twice the price.

30th October, 2012

JackTwist's avatar

I doused myself with this over a few days and could not detect any scent whatsoever - it was like smelling pure alcohol.

This has me stumped - on me it's a non-scent.

04 September, 2012

mtlimodriver's avatar

For the price range, I think it is excellent. Middle notes are very prominent. This fragrance really shines when it's been on for about half an hour. I use this only at night as it is quite heavy for the day. Good longevity. Get lot's of compliments on it.

15 May, 2012

djpeterdee's avatar

This has been a long favored cologne of mine. It has a great, long lasting scent. No disappointments here at all. It was more expensive a few years back, but now is quite the bargain.

30th March, 2012

Doc.T 1977's avatar

I don't know why so many thumbs down. This is a very nice scent. Its a woodsy / spicy scent and I would like to see it last a bit longer. But I love the scent and despite some of these other ratings, It does actually get compliments.

23 March, 2012

jonuiuc's avatar

I wore this when I was younger, as it was my night-time, warm weather scent. Mambo also worked for me in the cold, if you wanted to "smell" warmer. Took a test of it after many years and found its not that bad. I don't hate it, but it is not really my cup of tea anymore, as I've gone from nightclubs to local bars or dives. I still appreciate the warmth, spiciness and masculinity of it, but it is slightly too sweet and jumbled for me now. I think of nightclubs in Miami when I smell this (probably because I wore it then). The olfactory equivalent to the young man's "going out shirt" (black button up). Of course I've replaced my G.O.S. with a jacket, and so too this cologne. Still not bad for what it is, not a shameful option for a hot weather/nightclub scent.

29 February, 2012

Mysticman's avatar

A sadly misnamed scent. Mambo is one of the strongest and most disctinctive rhythms in Afro-Caribbean music, but this scent barely makes it past bland --- much more Muzak than Mambo. It's pleasantly citrusy with a touch of green, mellowing into an indistinct ambery background. The whole composition fades rather quickly, leaving only an indistinct memory of a rather generic warm citrusy glow. Pleasant enough, but highly forgettable.

07 May, 2011

Anup's avatar

Fresh and citrusy with a deep masculine undertone. Sweet, slightly spicy, tangy and deep.

Doesn't last as long as i would have liked, but overall i would recommend this to anyone.

Wear at night time, or in the fall for an even more sensual experience.

15 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2011)

Tony T's avatar

yes it is synthetic but also different. in the same club as magnetism imo.a bit heavy so it's great for colder weather!!!

05 January, 2011

Backtable's avatar

Eugene Levy sporting chest hair, gold chains and a track suit. Faux-machismo that's so over-the-top synthetic it's laughable, and at higher doses, intolerable. This isn't 'bang for the buck,' it's a ten-megaton chemical bomb.

11th December, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Horrible, potential is there as it is with many in the Claiborne House, but this is as synthetic as it comes. The only way I can describe Mambo is that it smells like somebody spilled peach soda on a circuit board..the board fried..it was liquefied in a blender, then concocted with 12 other unneeded ingredients and BAM..We have Mambo!

28 February, 2010

chamelion's avatar

nothing to offer cheap cologne and SMELLS CHEAP to my nose i definately do not reccomend it......its a shock that they had this at the mens wearhouse and didnt have anything like armani, gaultier, gucci, laurent, versace and other high end stuff

18 January, 2010

MikeB's avatar

I have had a small bottle for three years now. It barely lasts longer than an hour on me and smells inoffensive but lacks anythithing special about it. The only person i know who wears it is a 50 year old marine missing half his teeth. So i guess if you are 50 and a marine and do not care how you smell then this is perfect for you. I can't say much about a fragrance as poor as this.

22 November, 2009

dw1243's avatar

the summer edition-mambo mix is a great spicy fruity scent great longevity too a must have

22 May, 2009

decillisjl's avatar

okay this might be the wine talking but this stuff just plain sucks... I'm not even going to give it the benefit of describing the scent pyramid because so many before me have said enough... I totally understand "value" fragrances and some people might have an extremely small budget for cologne, but when you can pick up Carven Homme for twenty bucks or a mulititude of others for a bit more I can't see the point in shelling out an hours worth of work for something this disastrous. I have two toddlers that I have just suffered through potty training, and to be honest I would rather clean up an "accident" than ever try this again... Yuck!!!

26 April, 2009

lex's avatar

tru. notes dancing around.all doing a different dance to a different tune.smell chemicals,alcohol

15 March, 2009

bbBD's avatar

This is the perfect fragrance for those guys who drive limos, then stand around in the hall of your employer's workplace sleeping or being cranky. Also, Mambo is for you If you're an short, older gentlemen who likes to visit strip clubs and who thinks that you receive attention from the girls because of your sparkly personality instead of your influential boss. Make sure you think you're funny before slapping on enough to create a 7-foot bubble of Mambo around you, and don't forget to stock at least 10 boxes in your fridge so you can douse yourself in this juice every day for the remaining few years of your life.

Thumbs up for Ronnie - thumbs down for everyone else (thus a neutral rating)

03 November, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

Mambo for Men is a confused concoction, with watery, sweet and woody notes bumping into each other. I think the worst part of it is that I get an unpleasant burnt smell that begins soon after the opening lasts for a good while. The basenotes are pleasant woods and musk; not especially remarkable, but pleasant... still not worth waiting for.

09 August, 2008

Bigsly's avatar

SirSlarty talks about a lot of different notes dancing around, and I'd say that is a good way to describe Mambo. I like it! Also, there's nothing unpleasant going on here, and I don't get a "synthetic" vibe from it either. It is a bit musky, so you don't want to overspray with this one, especially in warm weather. I can spray once and I'm set for several hours, at least. A good "cheapo" that's nice if you like a lot of variety, as I do.

09 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

I don't know what's going on with this. It's got everything but there's nothing. Spicy, sweet, synthetic, watery,... it dances in a messy confusion of notes.

24 April, 2008

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Mambo is a nice fragrance. When I first smelled it I fell in love with it. Altho not one of the fragrances I normally wear.. But it is seductive & its great. It can be overpowering at first but the dry down is much MUCH better! I ended up giving my bottle to my little cousins bcause for some reason I just got tired of it. So I will give it a neutral rating!

12 April, 2008

jagmartini's avatar

Disgusting. So glad I only bought the 1oz thing from -walmart-. It's trying so hard to be Black from Kenneth Cole but it fails miserably. As with most Liz Claiborne fragrances, I couldn't get into this one try as I may.

11th April, 2008

lilkcceleb's avatar

Everytime I am around someone they always say "You smell so good. What are you wearing?" A must have if you love to smell sexy and seductive. You won't be upset with this.

22 December, 2007

silk4ever's avatar

One of the most underrated scents that is out there. I could care less about what "the ladies" think when I am picking out a scent as I do it for me and only me. But, for all of the men out there who does care what "the ladies" think (by the way, that phrase is annoying), then, this is your fragrance. It has a comforting, musk-like smell to it. Not bad!

08 December, 2007

Guayacan's avatar

Good scent. It is very strong, so be careful how much you apply. It smells very "hispanic." Not for everyone, test b4 you buy

05 December, 2007

VulcanHockey39's avatar

I first bought this cologne in 2001 and I really liked it. It got old thought after a year and stopped wearing it for awhile. I have since then rediscovered it, and it so happens to be my girlfriends favorite cologne on me. Similiar to Curve.. but alot better in my opinion.

18 January, 2007

Ron4177's avatar

I ran into this scent at a local wal-mart. I smelled the tester and I knew I smelled this one before so I smelled it again and I remembered one of my friends wore this and I was hooked. He told me the name but I forgot it. It was Mambo!! I think this is a fantastic scent! The dry down is GREAT. Very musky and seductive. I don't understand why this cologne got so many bad reviews. I love it. Cologne smells different on different people. Some people who review colognes don't take that into consideration. But a great cologne to boot!

09 January, 2007

encarnacion2's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

The best choice for any condition in this side of south America (sunny or rainy, day or night) full aroma from the start to the end (lavandin and patchouli) ultra long-lasting with regular overpower, the fragrance makes me feel in the 80s, like in a Miami Vice episode

03 January, 2007

SternFan's avatar

Hey, what can I say -it's a Claiborne fragrance. Much more spicy than Curve (to me), but very similar.

Would be a decent scent to wear in a smoky bar, because it seems as though this stuff is just ridiculously LOUD.

10th September, 2006