Reviews of Millésime Impérial by Creed

Find out more about Millésime Impérial by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Possum-Pie's avatar

Smells like a generic flanker. If this had been put out by YSL, or Chanel, people would be ranting as to how little creativity was used, and giving it overwhelming thumbs down. BUT because it came from the great house of Creed, it gets thumbs up. It isn't bad, but not worthy of wasting your money on. Mellon and floral. big deal.

30th October, 2012

Scent Troll's avatar

Candied cantilope sweat, smoked to imperfection. Safe when used as directed.

14th October, 2012

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

I don't usually review any scent on here after owning it for a good amount of time. I've had MI for approx 5 months and have been using it throughout the summer months both in the UK (rubbish summer this year) and whilst abroad in the Mediterranean.

I had sampled this several times in recent years and found it awful. All I could detect was a horrible base with nothing very interesting about it at all. Following much speculation on here about the 2011 batches I was able to try one and subsequently purchased. It was a complete epiphany for me!!

This is basically GIT's dry down but with a *very* fruity top. The mandarin and lemon really stand out for me and combined with the iris they give that 'melon' effect which comes out on top like a fresh cut fruit salad. Just like GIT needs damp weather to work, MI needs heat - so don't think this is a year-round scent. I can see myself coming out of a hot shower on a cool winter evening and spraying his on myself to get a warm feeling of summer.

The sea scent is ingenious. I can actually 'smell' the salt. Back in my home country we call this the "iodine" scent of the sea. I'm not sure if the sea has iodine in it, but in a nutshell this is the fresh scent that you get when sat by the sea, inhaling the air. Some strong memories come flooding back of summer holidays in the hot and humid Mediterranean climate, visiting my grand parents.

I think aside from batch variations (which are pathetic), this is a well made, inoffensive scent, even when sprayed sparingly. Definitely a thumbs up from me now and a compliment getter.

12th September, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This one is pure class in a bottle! Unisex fragrance with floral and light musk notes. At first spray, you won't see what all the hype is about. Give it about a hour, and the hype is exposed. Received many compliments wearing MI, all year round.

22nd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 05th December, 2013)

kassana's avatar

Seriously what is the big deal about this? Luckily i didn't buy a friend of mine had a bottle which he raves about. i tried it over some time to give it a fair chance.

I mean it's so generic, it doesn't justify the price tag. My father used to wear Avon aftershaves that smelled the same as this. It lasts about ten seconds and then it's gone.

I really do not understand the hype.

17th August, 2012

rpm0070's avatar

After discovering Creed Fragrances from my father I made a blind purchase of MI online. I initially disliked the fragrance. My expectations were very high from everything I had read and it wasn't what I had imagined. I didn't get the hint of melon that people had been mentioning. The fragrance was not bad, just not what I had expected. All things aside, I wore the scent for the next few days and fell in love. I believe once air mixed with the scent, it transformed. I cannot help but smell a very strong note of lush melon. I just started working at a new office and it has been great for a young, professional setting. I have received a few compliments on the scent from people in the office and I believe it compliments my personality well. I will say the longevity is low. On a good day I will get 6 hours out of this on the average about 4. I still prefer this over Green Irish Tweed. Side note- my father purchased MI from Neiman's shortly after I bought mine and his is not getting nearly as much of the melon note as mine.

15th June, 2012

FISS80's avatar

AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL projection and longevity. Quality fragrance but absolutely not worth the money. GIT or SMW are much better alternatives IMO
    Edit:
    I have come around to this. Very nice, must be worn during cool spring days to work on my skin. The right temperature gives me 6-8 hours longevity, 3-4 hours projection

26th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2013)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Nobody at Creed Towers thought Beyond Banal was a particularly good name for a fragrance, so they plumped for MI. Hyped up by all the heavy breathing on the net forums about this one, I couldn't believe what I was sniffing. This is such a generic masculine – cool citrus with synthetic herby twangs – that it pained me to try it on my skin. Not that its badly made, just crushingly dull.

18th May, 2012

Harlequin's avatar

I agree with the thespark. Something about this fragrance makes me feel happy but unfortunately the euphoria is tempered quickly when you remember the price tag. I wish this lasted a bit longer but on my skin - 4 hours tops (hence the neutral rating). Versatile, inoffensive, simple fragrance. Will I buy it again? Not sure.

08th April, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Perfect ten out of ten.

As it is a unisex scent, it is a bit feminine but still easily wearable for a man, and recommended for either gender. It is floral with fresh quality ingredients. It is a safe scent that wont offend. It is sweet without being cloying. Fresh without being generic.

It is a scent that every fragrance collector must try.

Its expensive but if you have the money, it is an easy recommendation.

31st March, 2012

thespark's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Words can't describe how beautiful this scent truly is. I have a 2009 batch, and even on days I don't wear it, I take it out just to smell the sprayer. At the risk of sounding like a complete burk, this smell really makes me feel happy. Many bash this for supposed poor longevity, but I get a solid 8+ hours every time. I also get a ridiculous amount of compliments; I was at a party and I met this girl who rang up a mutual friend the next day just to tell him "your friend smells amazing". The best.

17th March, 2012

Preston H's avatar

Thumbs way up for this one!! This is a divine citrus that's very sharp and crisp at the opening, and is soft musk like towards the end. It doesn't last all day but that's ok I don't work so I'm not sweating this off. I wear this out to dinner, parties, ect so 4-6 hours is more than enough.

15th March, 2012

delguy's avatar

This is my 3rd buy from the Creed house and I have mixed feelings on this fragerance. The fragerance has a unique aquatic smell which is divine, however what seems heavenly only dissapates to a faint non-existant scent. To spend over $300.00 and a fragerance not last more than 4 hours is not acceptable.

07th March, 2012

jamwires's avatar

Plain and simple, but oh so good.

Salty beach, beautiful citrus with that signature Creed note that we all know. Inoffensive, yet very high quality. Gentleman in a suit heading to the office? 20-year-old headed to the beach? This will work great in any situation. The ultimate summer fragrance.

I get about 6-8 hrs longevity and modest projection. So spray lots on this one.

23rd February, 2012

sin_is_in's avatar

Germany Germany

This is one of those generic sporty classic men's fragrances that does nothing for me. I think it's boring, can be found cheaper from other brands. The price is quite "special" though....

09th February, 2012

rttoronto's avatar

Gorgeous stuff, just be careful with the batch you get, some bottles smell a bit rancid. Otherwise really beautiful scent, aquatic, beachy salted skin with fruit opening turning into a musky affair towards the end.

02nd February, 2012

mikesc's avatar

I have tried this a few times at Neiman Marcus thinking it would be my next buy and each time I have been completely underwhelmed. It's incredibly weak. It immediately sits close to the skin and I can barely tell I have anything on. I like what I can smell, but it's so muted it's clearly not worth a purchase.

14th January, 2012

jaguaroadster's avatar

France France

Another gem from the Creed House collection ! Millesime Imperial is a crisp and sweet gorgeous scent : Agrumes, fresh watermelon, salty water from the ocean and floral note are poured with love in this golden bottle. And I could imagine famous golden boy, Gordon Gekko's Wall Street movie wearing that, walking on the beach at six o'clock a.m in Southampton, Long Island, cell phone in his hand and wisely saying to young Bud Fox : "C'mon buddy, money never sleeps !" As I mentioned before : It smells like money and power. Definitively a must have in your wardrobe. Thumbs Up !

15th December, 2011

Artyy's avatar

It has a decent scent, but it doesn't give me the delightful sensation that i get from other Creed fragrances such as Silver Mountain Water, for me Imperial Millesime isn't worth the price it's tagged.

08th December, 2011

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

First time, when I got a sample of this fragrance, I didn't like it!
    It does have that watermelon note. yes. very fresh and Pleasant but I can't stand the salty vibe on this fragrance!
    But after wearing it several times, I fell in love with it and bought a big 120ML bottle!
    This fragrance start with fresh and salty watermelon note. very pleasant and classy and also very natural.
    In the drydown the semi sweet floral note comes in with almost powdery vibe. the watermelon and salty vibe are still there, but they are in the background with semi sweet amber and iris combo.
    The smell doesn't change too much on your skin in the base.
    Very good projection and longevity.
    I get 6-8 hours out of it and it's a new world record for Creed! lol

03rd December, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th May, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Luxurious minimalism. Very strange fragrance, a sumptuous aquatic (ostensibly a contraddiction in terms) in which the royal changeability of elements and the baroque aristocracy from the hesperides, rather than evolving towards a dense and oriental kind of evolution, morphs towards a watery, musky, somehow sharp and fulgent type of boise subtleness exuding by the noble iris.

08th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2013)

Redbeard's avatar

I know a lot of people on BN don't like aquatics, but this one is noteworthy. Right from the start, it has the typical melony aura, but it's much more well-done than any of the competition. It's a mellow, rich, slightly floral rendition of the pedestrian "cucumber-melon" vibe, with a perfumey-ness that for some reason doesn't smell heavy or heady to me, but just really expensive. I will also agree with its unisex label; one of few "unisex" scents that really could be practical for a man or a woman. Coming into the mid notes, the melon gets just the slightest bit more synthetic, like a bad batch of Halston Unbound, but a simultaneous appearance by a bit of spearmint helps to negate it. I hadn't actually thought about the mint in MI before, but it's here, and it doesn't bother me! This mint gives it a cool grassiness, a bit like the part that I like in Tommy Bahama Very Cool, and all the while it retains those very clean and crisp yet relaxed aquatic notes, which are so much more classy and "real" than in other aquatics. The base is admittedly weak, but I can usually still detect it if I've sprayed or dabbed my T-shirt. Try it...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

08th October, 2011

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

It should have been named "Millésime Impérial Sport"

05th October, 2011

orangefiction's avatar

The opening is exactly like eating a juicy watermelon Starburst candy. After more testing I agree this deserves the hype it gets. It is just so fresh throughout the life of the scent. Projection and longevity is not as bad as I first had thought. And there is a wow factor I don't get with unforgivable although they smell similar. MI starts off with fresh watermelons and SMW starts of with some kind of flower but they end up smelling the same to me. If quality is what you are after you can't go wrong with this one.

23rd September, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2011)

SoleRoc's avatar

This is one of my favorites! Now, I must admit that it DID take a while for it to grow on me. The problem is, many people read waaaaay too many reviews and get into the hype of a fragrance, only to be let down when it comes time to smell. That was definitely me at first sniff with Creed's MI. The truth is that I was actually pretty pissed off! I was expecting waters to part when I applied MI for the first time. Nope, I believed it to be boring and not very unique. Fortunately I gave it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc... chance and have come to absolutely LOVE this fragrance. This is what I like to call a "Creeper." A creeper is a fragrance that you intially don't care for much, but slowly creeps its way up on your list untill it reaches one of the top spots; making you realize that it is a MUST have in your collection.
    Millesime Imperial is DEFINITELY a fragrance you have to grow to love (if you are one of "those" that didn't like it at first spray). The truth is, is that it IS unique. It has been copied and immitated plenty of times, which should tell you that they (Creed) did something right. It is simple & understated but, classy & unique; allowing for the fragrance to speak for itself - just as royalty. It does not take much to convey what one wishes. << Cheesy... lol... I know, but as simple as this fragrance is, it stands above most.
    Many people say they have issues with MI's longevity (actually most of Creed's frags). I can sit here and ramble off a bunch of excuses for why (natural vs synthetic, bad batch, skin type etc...), but I wont. The fact is, this frag is not SUPPOSED to be loud. It was made & designed for royalty and serves its purpose. It smells wonderful and reappears when the body is exerted or heats up. That is its purpose and point. How many people of royalty do YOU know that spend all day at an office?? or constantly around a lot of people that they want to impress?? or even better, around people that they don't want to offend?? How many people of royalty do YOU know that even CARE about impressing or offending strangers??
    Anyhow, these are just my 2 cents. Sorry if I bored you. MI is a very nice and tasteful fragrance. The hefty price tag is its only negative. Fresh, sweet & natural... what more can you ask for?

11th September, 2011

Jermel's avatar

This is the best job interview fragrance. Two sprays and you're good to go.

07th September, 2011

cmlyle81's avatar

First of all, this is one of the best scents I have ever explored. I really love this piece, at first I was wavering in decision on whether to purchase this or not, but I am sure happy I did. This is a simply marvelous piece. I also own the GIT and the Original Vetiver love them also, but I think I like MI the best. I can not co sign with ones who say it does not last long. One must remember it is never the fragrance that makes you, but it is you who makes the fragrance. Something amazing happens when the right chemistry is there and something mediocre happens when it is not. So, maybe those who have bad experiences can chalk it up as being bad chemistry between fragrance and them rather than destructively criticizing the fragrance. Just a thought.

02nd September, 2011

gabeinstyle's avatar

i ended up buying another bottle of sean john unforgivable today. left and half way home i realized i that if i don't go back and buy the last bottle of MI, then i don't know when i will be able to again. so i turned around went back, and bought the bottle. i couldn't be happier!!!!

27th August, 2011

lyrictenororbust's avatar

This is a pleasant scent all around.

It tends to stay close to the skin which i'm going to attribute to its non-synthetic ingredients, based on assumption.

Any scent at this level of the game is bound to be balanced and this one is. There is a beauty that owes itself to this balance. The individual notes are difficult for me to distinguish. I find a richness somewhere in the middle of the scent, not the middle of the "top-middle-base" notes but in the middle of the scent itself. It smells human, or an accent of the human smell. The strength is there as well as a projecting beauty that enhances the fundamental strength.

Admittedly the character of this fragrance is subtle. I purchased a small 1.5 ml vile from an online shop which, due to my finances, I can only allow myself one small spritz per smelling. This lack of application power could be inhibiting its full force and thus yield the subtleness im experiencing.

Howerver, it is classy all around. The scent brings to mind a walk through the lobby at an opera house (The Cincinnati Opera to be exact) with the twinkling of the chandelier and opera goers ordering drinks at the bar. Even the din of the conversations reveal themselves in this scent as it has a lot to say, even if it may at times be pretentious.

18th August, 2011

apayne182's avatar

I was really expecting the top notes to 'wow' me but in all honesty, they did not. I was completely 'wowed' by the top of green irish tweed but that is not the case here. I get a mix of sea salt and melons up top, but not watermelon that everyone says. It becomes a bit more sweet in the end and the salt mellows out a bit, but overall linear. Longevity and projecting kinda suck so i have to spray it on my shirt. I'm fine with spraying on my shirt if the smell amazed but it just doesn't. Yes, i think it is unique, but i will run through my 30 ml decant and that will probably be the end. Nice to experience, has a good smell, longevity and projection are bad, and i do not wear it much. The fact that it did not amaze me like i thought it would (along with other factors) leads to a neutral review

30th July, 2011