Reviews of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

It does not smell good. It does not smell exactly like sex or sweat or bodies either. Actually, it smells quite a lot like barbecue (not bad either, just not very perfumey). Yet, it's completely addictive and utterly sexy. I can't stop smelling it and I get a purely visceral reaction (no, it's not a gag, I promise) to it. Animalic and instinctual. I want to lick my skin where I put it on. And not in a oh-my-good-it-smells-like-tasty-barbecue-I'm-hungry kind of way.
    I can't really describe what it smells like, it's irrelevant. Don't wear it when it's important that people are neither disgusted nor turned on by you. Wear it out clubbing or home alone or with someone.

14 August, 2006

flathorn's avatar

I was afraid to try this one. After reading about this raw primal musk, I was sure it was going to reek on me. After enduring a bruising ride with Chergui, and Rahat Loukoum sending me into sugar shock, I figured there was no way I was going to survive Muscs Koublai Khan. But, there is justice after all!
    It's great, an amazing big warm musk. It's not rank on me, as I feared it would be, but rich & full of life. I'm as pleased I'm able to even wear it as I am I actually like it!
    It's not screaming 'Sex' to me as much as it is to others - it's exuding more of a primal energy, like the strong Lutens do on me. Except a primal smell *is* sort of the provence of the sexual arena. This is Musc Ravageur amped up. The ambery base of both are such a perfect foil for musk.
    I just tried CB I Hate Perfume Musk, and two more different renditions would be difficult to find. That one, gassy, thin, unsexy, non-warm and cerebral, plays against the humanly urge of what a sexual note should be and do for a person. This one checks off all the boxes...
    I can't wait to smell this on a man, also. While this is unisex, it seems to have a distinct positive man vibe to it. Looking forward to my first encounter.

07 August, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2013)

Ayala's avatar

There are two ways of getting privacy when you need it – hiding away (i.e.: “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door) or kicking the unwanted company out. The latter can be achieved by sufficiently spraying oneself with generous douses of Muscs Koublai Khan – the most daring and sensual musk I have ever smelled. It reeks of raw, animalistic sexual energy of the most desirable nature. While the opening may be obtrusive to some, it is surprisingly clean and warm at once to my nose, while also being intesely animalic, yet
    curiously does not bring to mind any specific animal… In fact, it is quite like raw ambergris chunks, straight from the beach, undiluted. But as I said – it is strong enough to send out of the room all parties that are not invited, or for that matter, not welcome to whatever will take place after the drastic step has been taken… And keep the one(s?) that will stick around long enough for the stench to dissipate and turn into the most alluring, warm and erotic musk.
    Muscs Koublai Khan gradually softens but never quite changes it’s true character. It lasts for hours and hours on end, and I must admit it can be quite distracting (for yourself and others) to wear it during the day in situation that require reasonable thinking and perhaps even a bit of cognitive effort. Rather, it is a scent for times of freedom and no restraints, either out in the wild or in the privacy of your own room… It’s a scent that draws your full attention to its source, and haunts you without mercy. It is inspiring, motivating and mesmerizing. You simply won’t be able to stop thinking about it when wearing it – in a good way…While the aphrodisiac qualities are quite obvious, it is a truly liberating experience in all levels to wear Muscs Koublai Khan – it is very much reminiscent of the male body odour, and to pull this out, one needs to have quite the presence and sense of self-acceptance – also known as one of the keys to happiness.

25 July, 2006

onanendlessquest's avatar

Oh, this takes me back to the summer I was 18 and practically living on the beach at Port Aransas, dating the most wonderful man and making love in the dunes in the afternoon after surfing all morning. His gorgeous smell mixed with salt and warm sun. MmmmmHmmmm, pure sex. Only with the MKK it's in a bottle.

21st April, 2006

Paul G's avatar

where to start with this gem. good god, this scent is superb. it's sex in your face. it starts off with a note reminiscent of the monkey house at the zoo. don't plan on spraying this scent less than 20 minutes before you come in contact with anyone because the top notes are horrid. however, when it settles, it's brilliant. sexy, rich musk that is sweet and sexy and a mindblower. the complexity of this scent and the drydown make the horrid top notes worth suffering through. not for everyone, but this scent packs a wallop.

14 April, 2006

tmp's avatar

I wanted this one to be good on me so badly. It's nice, but not the lyrically dirty musc that I read about. My body chemistry must be the problem: all I get is a floral. Oh well, I still have Chene and Borneo (as well as Daim Blond) as Lutens that really work on me.

19 February, 2006

headcoat's avatar

I had extremely high hopes for this one, expecting something even more decadently beautiful than Musc Ravageur. However, I was sadly disappointed - this bears too much of a resemblance to Kiehl's Original Musk to justify the high price. Sure, its better with more depth and complexity, but only marginally.

10th February, 2006

mikey_p's avatar

This is so shockingly animalic!Pure filth in a bottle. This conjures up the odours associated with the most intimate of activities. Absolutely mesmerising without ever being overpowering. Nothing remotely like it around. I cannot rate this highly enough!!!! GODDAMN!!!

09 February, 2006

Scentsational's avatar

This scent screams of conquest in battle and then some serious For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge in celebration.

05 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2010)

IPaidForThisName's avatar

MKK is such a warm and dirty fragrance. It smells so alive, like it is coming off of a hot animal or person. MKK also has a very odd vegetable influence, which gives it an almost sour nature. It dries down to something that is warm, dirty, and slightly floral. This is the ULTIMATE musk fragrance. There is nothing like it, and nothing better.

18 September, 2005

pottlegirl's avatar

I never really thought of perfume as sexy until I wore this. Smelling this on my hand makes me want to slather it on a man and.......
    uh yeah so this is my favorite Lutens creation. It is, like most of his fragrances, truly unisex--I think it would enhance equally the femininity or masculinity of the wearer. In moderation, it can be worn almost anywhere.
    It is animalic yet sweet and persistent, and have a rough, vital, yet reflective personality. This, to me, is the musc to end all musks. It isn't fussed up with florals or spices or herbs or soapiness. It's drrrrty! In a glorious, delicious way, like naked skin heated up by the lazy morning sun in a languid morning after a vigorous night. Raw sensuality is right!

02 September, 2005

Buffalo_Gals's avatar

You know how you've had a boyfriend (or girlfriend) who's sweat smells really bad.....acrid & harsh....they come back from working out or playing ball & you can't rush them into the shower fast enough......AND On the other side of the coin a significant others sweat that has that warm sweet
    quality and smells soooo good that you don't want them to shower when they're sweating EVER because you just want to bottle that scent and take it with you whenever you're apart ~ WELL MKK reminds me of the men who have the good sweaty smell......The kind of scent on a man where you just want to bury your head in his armpit and breathe him in.
    I don't ever want to be without this scent!!!!

25 November, 2004 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2006)

John.com's avatar

I'm perplexed that the same brilliant mind behind Vetiver Oriental and Chergui created this abomination of the damned. A hidoeusly vile blend that no amount of waxing philosophical or attempting to rationalize can cover up. Puke, gag, hurl and more puke. Me thinks Mr. Lutens may have been on the pipe while concocting this swill. The Bronx Zoo at the peak of summer.......the filthy, sweating hides of beasts. Very attractive. Please.

06 October, 2004 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2006)

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Time to announce a change of heart:
    the most-tests-before-I-got-it record formerly held by Mitsouko (six test-drives) belongs now to MKK! On the 7th test-drive the cows and wet sheepskin finally gave way to something else enrirely! :D

08 May, 2004 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2004)

j_dubyah's avatar

This one will knock you socks off, but do it in such a soothing, suave way that you won't even remember you've got feet let alone socks. I think this is another masterpiece by Lutens. Admittedly I am a novice at his stuff and have only sniffed Ambre Sultan, Arabie and this one, but I detect a rather strong trend toward ambery/darker scents. I'm a fan of these types of scents to a degree, but believe I need to expand my Lutens horizons. Even still this is a GREAT fragrance.

18 December, 2002