Positive Reviews of Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

Find out more about Nino Cerruti by Cerruti in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

What a great surprise. Nino Cerruti pour Homme is a really peculiar scent, modern and cozy, with a zesty-green herbal opening, invigorating and aromatic, fresh but dense and rich, floral, sweetened by spices, carnation, rounded with aldehydes and a slight musky creaminess (I mean white musks), almost powdery, with also sandalwood, amber, lavender, balmy notes and a subtle benzoin note providing a darker dusty-resinous base, almost animalic too. At the same time it also manages to smell effortlessly balsamic, almost menthol. The drydown shows more clearly the civet-boisé and ambery sides, always floral and balsamic and slightly talcum too, an unusual juxtaposition between "airy" floral white notes, herbs and musky-dusty hints. Cerruti pour Homme is an ultramodern, clean herbal scent with a lot of surprising accord of nuances going on, from indolic to creamy and floral. Really pleasant, elegant and versatile, sadly quite rare, but it's one of those which are quite worth the chase.

27 July, 2014

Echo777's avatar

Opens with a bayberry, cedar-sap, deliciousness. Turns into an evergreen rosin drydown with a slight, sweet muskiness to it. Equally sweet and dry at the same time. Like some pine needles and some dry vanilla. Old school enough to say “I’m an adult”, but deals enough elan vitale to say “I’m a boisterous young kid looking for adventure”. Great longevity. Good daily wear, year round. Got this as a freebie from a Basenoter. Similar to Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree or Caswell and Massey’s original Greenbriar or their Number Six, minus the citrusy topnotes.

08 March, 2013

Darvant's avatar

One of my best olfactory memories from the childwood, a magnificent floral-oriental herbal, sweet of flowers and finally delicate and boise'. The first part of the evolution is citrusy, green aromatic than fruity-floral (jasmine and may be berries), is like to smell a concert of different elements in alternance and motion. In this phase the fragrance is averagely sharp and minty with the aromatic and green-airy touch of lavender. In the second phase of the development the fragrance, while keeping the woodsy feel of the initial part due the notes of fir and moss of the base, becomes ambery and musky in a very smooth way. In this phase the fragrance retains its floral soul and a certain level of drought but goes smoothing towards a mossy-ambery very masculine final outcome. A great, great fragrance very hard to find nowadays.

29 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2013)

Worth1969's avatar

Discovered this in 1988 and have been wearing it ever since.
    Remember one day in particular working on a movie set - the fragrance stayed with me the entire day! So fresh and magical in the opening, with the rich woods and musk in the base. Truly a magnificent fragrance!

19 September, 2010

Mysticman's avatar

Every time I wear Nino Cerruti, I wonder why I don't choose it more often. It's wonderfully fresh and invigorating at first, becoming warmer and woodier over time, very nicely balanced, neither too overbearing nor too bland, and I've yet to come across another fragrance that smells anything like it.

For all its green freshness, there's something else at work here between the fruit notes and the carnation in the middle (which actually show up right away, but become more prominent over time). A woman in the office I worked in once asked what I was wearing and told me I smelled like fresh baked apple pie. I had never thought of it that way before, but sure enough --- she's right. More specifically, a fresh baked apple pie on a wooden picnic table in a meadow clearing in the midst of a forest, with the table decorated with greens, fruits and a few wildflowers, in the late morning on a warm sunny day.

This is one of my all-time favorite fragrances ---- I really like it a LOT!

08 April, 2010

pince_nez's avatar

Opens with an overpowering smell of fresh/green/minty notes that segues into a layer of crushed white florals churned with spices. Marvelous sillage, almost outrageously so! After about an hour, it settles into a bed of musk/benzoin/cedar/amber. Beautiful scent, very 80s and likely to get you noticed very quickly! But be warned -- this frag has that pungent/reeking sweat residue (like in Kouros) that persistently lingers.

Marvelously constructed, but not for the faint of heart.

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2010)

Naed_Nitram's avatar

The ecstatic opening sparkle: like rolling down a joyful bank of flowers, grasses, and precious minerals! Then the long, slow, sweet embrace of its development - pure, light, sensuous, wondrous and warm. A magnificent scent, my masters! (de Charlus).

29 April, 2009

Dolphins's avatar

Fantastic full STOP!
    Very hard to find but the search will be worth the effort

20th December, 2008

mrclmind's avatar

This is a clean, green, soapy machine; and I like it a lot. The floral heart and woody/incense base help this one stay centered and not get lost in a sea of lather and suds. It's got a bit of sweetness and backbone that is really missing in a lot of these clean scents. The oriental notes in the bottom help pull it away from the soapy top, and the green fresh notes help keep it clean and not overtly incense. The floral notes are really the star of this show; we still don't find a plethora of jasmine in masculine perfumery and this note is handled with great discretion in Cerruti.

25 August, 2008

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

my first edt ever was Drakkar Noir and the second was Nino Cerruti. i used to wear Nino Cerruti when i was in my 12th grade. there were plenty of i can't say beautiful cause its way too low for them i can say Divas and i mean goddesses of beautiful girl in our class and school and i used to be the No 1 Guy in school Sports and in school and class activities and had a GPA of 3.94 so alot of girls were attracted to me. my Girl friend was on the top of all other girls at school. i always thought i mean even other guys at school also did though that my being No1 guy at school was the cause of all that attraction. once my girl friend asked me to change my cologne . i asked her why do you hate its smell , she told me NO BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT ALL THE GIRLS AT SCHOOL LOVE YOUR FRAGRANCE AND FAINT WHEN YOU PASS BY THEM . THEREFORE I CAN'T STAND IT EITHER YOU CHANGE YOUR FRAGRANCE OR YOU CHANGE YOUR GIRL FRIEND.
    well i was forced to change my EDT so i gave it to a friend i still feel more sorry for loosing my Nino Cerruti than loosing my Girl Friend cause i was able to find other girlfriends later and even get married but i was not able to find another Nino Cerruti again!!!!!!

11th May, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Very green and slightly soapy. I like this one because it keeps a tradition alive that seems almost to have died out. It smells good, fresh and green, and it backs that up with a good, solid construction. The foundation of this in woody oriental notes give it presence and lasting power. The middle notes with jasmine and carnation are sweet and spicy, which makes for a kind of "romantic" feel to this scent. Moss and fir in the base make the drydown a little different from today's usual. This is an older, fresher style of woody-oriental accord.

08 May, 2008

Stockholm's avatar

Sweden Sweden

This is truly one of the best compositions ever made for men!!! Toghether with Cartier's Santos Concentree, this has been the backbone of my fragrance wardrobe since the 80's. Since then the Cerruti company have been marching on a steady path to make their fragrances more and more anonymous and blend... If you ever come a cross a fresh bottle...just indulge!!! Double thumbs up!

09 December, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

I sometimes wonder if some perfume company execs somewhere don't have their collective heads up their asses.
    To wit: Leonard Pour Homme, Portos, Havana, Nino Cerruti . . . in short, WHY DO THEY DISCONTINUE THE CLASSICS? ARE THAT MANY YUTZES OUT THERE REALLY PASSING UP THE GOOD STUFF TO PURCHASE YET ANOTHER BOTTLE OF TOMMY, OR SOME OTHER INSIPID CRAPOLA?

Cerruti Original was great stuff, and without the "power notes" that made so many late Seventies and early Eighties fragrances the objects of later laughter.

Very crisp, very green, eminently wearable. A smidgen formal, perhaps, but a great fragrance all around.

13 October, 2006

moon_fish's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

I was happy to find this discontinued cologne in some forgotten little perfume store. I`m happy to have it till now.
    It`s floral fragrance, beautifully made for men. It means that all flowers are muted (not as fresh and shining as in Knize Ten or Incense Givenchy) and interwoven with woody notes. Special accent onto amber, frankincense and benzoin - all those notes give to this Italian cologne some classic Eastern powdery-incensey-sappy chic and mystery.
    The Best Cerruti cologne so far - but very underrated. And it`s a great chance to make it a signature scent!

24 November, 2005 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2012)

Joshaugustt's avatar

I AGREE WITH ALL OF THE POSITIVE REVIEWS. I'M PROBABLY THE LAST PERSON ON EARTH TO HAVE TRIED CERRUTI FOR MEN...AND BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! I DIDN'T HAVE TROUBLE FINDING CERRUTI ON THE WEB. AND I AM REALLY ENJOYING IT. IT'S A NO NONSENSE RICH CITRUS/FLORAL THAT DESERVES TO STILL BE AROUND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS. IT'S WORTH A TRY. JOSH AUGUSTT

16 October, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

This is a wonderful, rich floral fragrance that isn’t leathery or earthy like most fragrances of its time. This is a very crisp and refined floral fragrance, that doesn’t smell at all aged or specific to a certain genre like most 80’s fragrances. This is what Tenere should have smelled like, imho. A great fragrance.

28 September, 2005

levente's avatar

A mossy floral in which no one note dominates. Masterfully crafted and of excellent quality, this set a standard that no other Cerutti scent has come close to matching. Be warned, however, that it is not of the current style. The only other fragrance of this style and quality I can think of is Paco Rabanne's criminally discontinued Tenere.

27 September, 2005

Will's avatar

I remember buying this back when I was in high school, I guess I knew what I was doing back then. I recall this scent to have that wonderful quality of elegant blending...but it's the drydown that will capture the wearer. If you can find it, grab it...it's a classic scent.

05 January, 2003