Neutral Reviews of No. 89 by Floris

Find out more about No. 89 by Floris in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

very very traditional woody aromatic scent.
    very english, very conservative, old school, and a bit dated- nevertheless this is a classic fragrance for an older man.
    It stands in a line with fragrances of a time where a man smelled a bit of a barbershop : soapy-sandalwood, lavender,musk , citrus etc were allowed as ingredients .If you like the older scents by Creed, Penhaligon´s,etc. you will appreciate this understated, discreet and unspectacular well done fragrance too.
    I personally dislike this kind of empty and uninteresting fragrances- they are in a way unique but I miss the vital spark, the glimmer that infects me- this fragrances does not captivate my senses.By way of apology it has to be said that this fragrance does not claim to be captivating , innovative etc.- it´s a classic scent of another time but definitely outstanding in comparison to all the mud which is produced nowadays e.g. the non ending aquatic theme and cheap copies of cool water etc.

25 May, 2011

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

This has a lovely opening of orange blossom. It develops soapy-clean and gentle spice notes. The floral notes are not heavy or too sweet; but they are also intermittent. Light musk, mossy notes, and a nutty vetiver appear. The whole thing is very genteel and civilized. In the latter stages of its dry-down it develops an unfortunate powdery aspect which doesn’t appeal to me. At times, it smells like an old make-up case (foundation powder). A bit fusty, in my opinion.

09 August, 2010

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

Very refined, classical citrus based fragrance. Very rich and flawlessly engineered.

Quite gentle, although it is able to put out some sillage – for hours and hours.

Sandalwood and slightly animalic musk are taking the lead role soon after drydown starts to shine.

This is a fragrance for those who like refined, a bit dry, festive and also distinguished casual British style. This is also for those who, for example, find Eau Savage too common or stuff like Ungaro II too hard to handle.

No. 89 is a classy, very easy to wear anywhere anytime. It’s pleasant, fairly masculine and I suppose it would make an excellent companion especially with some nice suit.
    One fragrance I cannot easily be seen to be worn on some rags.

Personally I get my clothes mainly from flea-markets and down sales.

03 March, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

If anyone wonders what the Floris house note is, smell no. 89. This is THE citrus house note. Nice eau de cologne. Kinda just there.

12 October, 2008

degustibus's avatar
    degustibus

To say that "No. 89" "reeks" of funeral parlors is unfair; it is a quiet, dignified fragrance that doesn't reek in any way. But evocative of those unhappy places? Yes, maybe. Firstly it is a quintessential 1950s scent: although I typically hate the shorthand of the decade attribution as imprecise and overly impressionistic, I find it apt here. It very much reminds me of one of my mother's perfumes of years ago. As for the embalming vibe, maybe it's on account of the scent's passive quality: this is not a sporty fragrance. Indeed, it's hard imagining anyone having the energy to pilot a nuclear speed boat or dodge bullets or fight off Russian temptresses while wearing "No. 89." The floral notes are just too quiet, and too pretty--like a spray of pink roses on a simple pine box.

17 September, 2008

Oscar39's avatar
    Oscar39
    Spain Spain

To my taste this is a slightly dated scent, one that does not appeal to my taste. Not too strong but with an odd lingering note. Definitely wearable but I would agree with some of the other comments in the sense that it is more likely to suit an older clientele. I heard that Floris was going to discontinue it before long.

07 August, 2008

foetidus

It opens with a sharp, rather aggressive citrus note, not a really a disagreeable note, but not especially attractive. I wonder why this particular citrus accord was chosen; perhaps to cover up the overt floral aggressiveness of the middle notes. I really don’t know what to make of what is happening with the top and middle. There are supposed to be rose and orris as the florals, but I have a difficult time determining the rose in this scent. The orris, however, is definitely there; it takes prominence but not in its usual way. I think the normal powdery aspect of orris has been reduced and the orris takes a strong white floral note—at any rate, to my nose, it’s a non-rose floral. Robyogi’s funeral home image is an especially appropriate one for this scent, particularly in the long lasting middle notes. To my nose it certainly does have that funeral parlor tang before it settles down to a much more subtle floral middle level and wood drydown. The base is well done, if a bit too soft, but I can’t find anything very endearing about it.

18 January, 2007

robyogi's avatar
    robyogi

On the boards it seems No.89 is sometimes compared to C&S no.88. I think 89 is much closer to D’Orsay’s Etiquette Bleue than it is to no.88. It’s got the same light, white, herbal-floral topnotes that have an uplifting sort of quality. It’s not quite as uplifting as the D’Orsay scent is though, and the heavier basenotes further drag this one down. Finally, there is a mustiness in here akin to the mustiness of Floris’ Elite, which makes the scent smell old or dated. This mustiness, combined with the floral notes, reminds me of a funeral home…not exactly a positive image! I will say it smells better on my shirt, where it retains more of that Etiquette Bleue sparkle. But why not just get the much better Etiquette Bleue?

28 August, 2006