Positive Reviews of Nobile by Gucci

Find out more about Nobile by Gucci in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClarkScent's avatar
    ClarkScent

Nobile Alright

Somehow acquired a miniature bottle around 1990. Fast forward 23 years and I got..another miniature. Smells exactly like before which is nice (especially nowadays). Don't really understand the thinking of discontinuing such a great fragrance. Could see royalty wearing this..they probably have all of it that's left..except the miniatures of course.

Pros: Smells like a thousand dollar bill in a bottle
    Cons: Duh discontinued "

27 October, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Good stuff

I'll keep it short.

Beautiful Italian expression of sweet green soapy manliness.

Nobile Royalty by Alexander da Costa is close, Lomani pour homme same, Drakkar Noir has some similarities but is vulgar (in a bad way) at best; Duc de Vervins by Houbigant is the French version, Jivago Connect tries but...not quite.

There are others that try and come close, Duc de Vervins is closest.

One shot Versace Green Jeans plus one shot Lomani pour Homme gets you in the same vicinato.

Women love this stuff.

Pros: Beautiful
    Cons: Out of production

21st June, 2013

Azel1488's avatar
    Azel1488

I miss this fragrance a lot in 1988 I purchased it at marshall fields in Chicago it was my signature fragrance for many years to come later I seen a bottle on ebay and picked it up . But now It's near impossible to find this fragrance please bring this one back ....

10th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2013)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Nobile opens with an aromatic blend of bergamot citrus and lavender with a lime-like tarragon and rosemary herbal undertone. As Nobile enters the heart phase of its development, the early bergamot citrus recedes but the aromatic herb-laced lavender remains, coupling with a tremendous oakmoss note rising from the base joining balsam fir as co-stars with an additional rose and carnation floral supporting duo joining the lavender. In the late heart, the aromatic lavender slowly dissipates but the oakmoss and fir still remain through the dry-down now in support, as a relatively dry amber and non-smoky vetiver duo takes the fore to finish off the scent's development. Projection and longevity are both excellent, with the scent lasting 10-12 hours on skin.

Nobile is one of those rare aromatic fougere scents from the past that just can't be released today due to oakmoss restrictions. The very green herb-laced oakmoss and fir combo with floral support is absolutely captivating and dominates for most of Nobile's key development before turning to resinous amber late during the dry-down. The official note list is very long and quite frankly I am sure I missed a whole bunch of them, but Nobile just smells great, plain and simple. It unfortunately commands a price just as high as how good it smells nowadays due to its discontinuance long ago and the scarcity of remaining bottles on the after-market. That said, those looking for a reference aromatic fougere should look no further than this 4 to 4.5 star out of 5 classic by Gucci.

26 January, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

In Nobile the opening is the archetypical supreme-quality chypre. With a bright and sharp lemon-lavender blast that is penetrated by amazing oakmoss, which is followed by vetiver and rosemary. The drydown develops into a wood base, with a distinct pine note with a bit of non-sweet tonka added. At that stage silage and projection are excellent, but after the first ninety minutes this shining glory implodes and the wood notes dominate albeit close to my skin. Nonetheless, the fougère begin is supreme and deserves a thumbs-up. Overall longevity on me is about four hours.

05 December, 2012

Profumo Saggio's avatar
    Profumo Saggio

Absolutely loved this from the first time I smelled it in the store back in the late 80's. I couldn't afford the four ounce bottle at that time, but I went through at least three of the one ounce bottles with that original bottles that came without a cap, just a huge spray top, and a couple of the next generation one's as well. When they discontinued it I had about 3/4 ounce left that I parsed out over the next ten years or so whenever I got too desperate to resist. Luckily, a few years ago I found a reputable dealer on ebay that was selling Nobile bottles still wrapped in the original cellophane. I managed to land several one and two ounce bottles for reasonable prices. Even found one of the original bottles. It's still right at the top of my list of green fragrances. The lavender and vetiver/moss notes are nothing short of divine. I give it two thumbs up, five stars and a sheet full of gold stars.

06 March, 2012

Oproust's avatar
    Oproust

Yes, I'll take this one please. Gucci Nobile is a fantastic green fougere. The crisp, citrus/lavender/green opening of Gucci Nobile is very similar to Bowling Green, although I also detect a hint of Tsar and Jazz clamoring around in there. And yes, Drakkar Noir hovers ever so close but dares not enter Nobile's air space. The mid notes are wonderful, with a predominant floral/green accord. The fir note helps balance the entire mid note composition. The basenotes are green/woodsy, mossy with a touch of smoke. Nobile is a classic fougere that has sadly passed on to the Isle of Souls of Discontinued Fragrances. Makes me want to slap some Rachmaninoff in the CD player.

30th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2011)

Everlasting's avatar
    Everlasting

You are running through the wild fields, interlaced with rows and rows of pine trees, there is a light dusting of snow on the ground, the air is cold, and a strong smell of balsam fir lingers in the air. You are an excited child searching for the perfect Christmas tree just a couple weeks before the magical date.

Next I am warped to a hot, sunny, mid-summer day drinking a freshly squeezed and oh-so sweet glass of lemonade after a hard day’s work.

These are the first memories this scent teleports me back to. It ignites memories in my mind of sweet ecstasy and longing in my childhood.

Within an instant, after this first experience, my mind goes through a rabbit hole of a journey, all the while echoing sounds of Motley Crue’s “Kick Start My Heart”, until these words are uttered: sophistication, confidence, class, and utter sexiness.

In my mind this is a scent that the likes of Gregory Peck, Sean Connery, John F. Kennedy Jr., Marlon Brando (think a Streetcar Named Desire), and Humphrey Bogart would wear. And on top of all this, with all of these strong emotions and memories rattling inside my brain, in the fringe of my mind I constantly get this dark and mysterious vibe that really gives this scent even more of an edge. There is a reason why this is rated so highly, even more so by women that I know. If you could put a good (or bad depending on your take) romance novel into a bottle, this would be it.

My signature scent.

A couple caveats to warning this fragrance:

1. Strictly for men...I couldn't picture a woman wear this
    2. Age must be 25+, this fragrance says you’re a man, if you’re not of age you would look foolish to wear it, a non-congruent fragrance with a younger physicality.
    3. Those in the temperate locations may appreciate this scent more than those in tropical locations, due to the memories associated with the scent.

Scent: 10/10 (An absolute masterpiece that starts of with a pine/lemon/tobacco opening and mid notes then settles down to a nice amber dry down)
    Longevity: 9/10 (4 sprays, 2 wrist, 2 neck will last you 8-10+ hours)
    Sillage: 7/10 (4 sprays and others will notice when standing a couple feet away from you)
    Versatility: 10/10 (can be worn with friends, when hanging out with the guys and, with your s/o, great in winter/fall, even better in summer!)
    Uniqueness: 10/10 (smells very unique unlike anything else I've smelled before)

16 October, 2011

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

I had Gucci Nobile as a gift from a good friend on Fragrantica and what a surprise! It's rapidly becoming one of my favourite non-powerhouse fragrances from the past together with Insensè, Givenchy's Vetiver and Le Troisieme Homme. AMAZING!

Gucci Nobile is a great alternative to the vulgar ostentation of opulence and to the "straight in the face" attitude of pretty popular and pretentious niche brands I won't name here. In this world dominated by "Greed" and ignorance, GN is the perfect fragrance for the laidback guy who doesn't need to shout out loud his charisma and elegance. He's self confident, cultured, mannered but not affected, generous, traditionalist but not a pharisee, aknowledged, discreet...and noble.

A CLASSIC fougère with herbaceous notes, tobacco, citruses and a slight touch of lavander that's incredibly delightful. Gucci Nobile surely deserves a place in the "classic fragrances olympus" . Sadly discontinued. I guess Frida Giannini won't hear us...

Absolutely recommended!

23 May, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

The robust and unsentimental nature of Nobile is at variance with Gucci's modern day output. It has more in common with the original Gucci Pour Homme from 1976. Although different structurally, they are clearly kindred spirits. Both are unashamedly masculine, and uncompromising in their pursuit of what represents a dominant and confident fragrance.

It performs very much like an old-fashioned fougere, and shades of some old favourites can be discerned at various stages.Although it is fairly linear, it does dry considerably as it evolves, and the strident cedar note ensures a wonderful ride home.

07 April, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

Nobile is so green and verdant it puts Bowling Green to shame. And Bowling Green is very dear to me. Fresh, classic and modern at once, powerful and lasting... There aren't enough stars here to give this. It smells alive, it's so fresh! Nobile will be in my room as long as I can find it. It is my paradigm of 'green fougere.'

29 April, 2010

Mysticman's avatar
    Mysticman

My first impression of Nobile was that it was a subtler, more refined version of Drakkar Noir. Over time, I've come to appreciate other things about it too --- in the drydown there's a hint of smokiness to the leafy green notes, and the woods appear and disappear as if dancing with the spices. The top notes leave a lingering freshness even after they fade, and the overall effect reminds me of a walk in the woods just after an autumn rain.

And what is it with Gucci discontinuing their best fragrances, anyway?

07 March, 2010

pinkmimosa's avatar
    pinkmimosa

This is my all time favorite male scent. I have bought this for every guy I went out with until I couldn't find it anymore. GUCCI as a brand was basically synonymous with crass and vulgar in my snooty old town, so I was surprized to love it. I'll never forget the first time I sniffed it. I was with my mother, and we tried two separate Gucci's, Noble and one for women which I forgot what it was. She loved the female one and hated this one. I expected to hate it, naturally. Instead, when my nose grazed the sample, I felt instant longing, loneliness and sexual frustration. Can't really describe the scent much better than that, can't even remember what the notes were. I just really wanted the guy who wears it - BAD.

21st November, 2009

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

It's a shame this is discontinued. The only time I wore this was when I was over my friend's place - he had an almost-empty bottle of it - and I'd give it a spritz every now and again. Never regretted it, either. This is a very pleasant, deep cologne, a good dive into all kinds of greens and beautiful wood notes. Nobile is a man's cologne, without succumbing to the stereo-typical musky/leathery/spicy formula of other scents from its era. This definitely would be appealing to women who happen to be in your zone. Nice longevity, nice packaging, and just nice all around.

05 November, 2009

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

Crisp green scent with great transparency. Transcends all era and is timeless. For a change, it’s not a green scent which reminds one of Chanel PM. Nobile has to be the inspiration for scents like Malle’s French Lover…not in the use of civet, but the juicy, fresh feel of tender, light green colored leaves. It turns a bit floral by mids but still retains it’s green character. The base is a luxurious blend on musk, vetiver and sandalwood. Musk adds to the bite, keeps it fresh, vetiver keeps it green and sandalwood adds to the soapiness, keeping this a fresh scent all the way. A lovely scent for daily wear and a kind which with each wear reveals one secret after other. Incredibly well blended and a top notch composition

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

kbe's avatar
    kbe

If you are looking for a Tobacco (ashtray tobacco ash, in a good way) fragrance look no further. Tobacco ash is dominant from early Top Notes and right through Middle Notes and into and through the Basenotes, with a smattering of mashed green tree leaf and spice for good measure along the way. This bold fragrance slowly winds down to a moderately sweet patchouli-amber-tobacco finish . As the old song says: "a cigarette bearing lipstick traces.."

13 August, 2009

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

Its really difficult to fathom how and why Nobile was discontinued. As much as I like Envy for men, Nobile would have an edge to be Gucci's signature Classic. There are similarities between this and Envy for men, other than having an 80's feel, they have quite similar herbal notes. But Nobile offers so much more. The blend of mild citrus, prominent herbs and woods, coupled with a touch of florals, is a perfect mash. Has great longevity and sillage to boot. This should be brought back into production for their good name's sake.

21st June, 2009

tanto's avatar
    tanto

This was such a distinctive yet refined fragrance. It was one of my favorites and it really suited just about any occasion. Why Gucci discontinued this is a real mystery to me because the new Gucci frags are nothing to brag about. I guess ever since they were sold to P & G, things changed a lot (not for the best either). This is something that always happens when huge companies buy the smaller designer houses. They are always soooooo GREEDY and make huge blunders because of their greed. They never seem to learn from their mistakes either.

19 March, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Gucci discontinued this beauty in order to make way for a parade of mediocre fragrances. I don't get it. I regret not buying this the last time I saw it in a store, at a discount price. One of the most distinctive scents ever created.

16 January, 2009

Dhr. DeLuxe's avatar
    Dhr. DeLuxe

This was Alchemy, Renaissance, Umberto Eco in a bottle. I still miss it dearly...
    The smells of red seal laquer, parchment, a monastery herb garden, clean linen, sundried stone, freshly baked bread. A fantastic fragrance! Intricate, sophisticated, classic-with-a-punch, very pleasant and polite. Self-aware but elegant.
    *sigh*

25 December, 2008

johja's avatar
    johja
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

My grandmother bought this for me a while ago and when I was in high school I couldn't stand it. It reminded me a of an old man and I'm pretty feminine myself. I now wear it a lot because it's classic and sophisticated, deep and the dry down is subtle and peppery. Love it.

19 December, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Hello, I am a great cologne. My name is Nobile, Gucci Nobile. I will be with you for hours and make you smell good. What am I? Well, I'm a fougere style with subdued yet ubiquitous spices. Throw away your plastic bottle of Brut and replace it with me because I will be your companion forever... until they discontinue me. Oh... I'm sorry, they did. Those silly people.

05 July, 2008

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

An incredible green chypre for men. Why this was ever discontinued is a great mystery to me. It is one of the best of its kind. The herbal notes — rosemary, lavender, and tarragon — take the lead, and are soon reinforced by a galbanum accord in the heart. The citrus, herbals, and spice in the top notes are transformed by the florals in the heart and a classic woody chypre drydown lingers with subtle green hues persisting until the end. If only it weren't so difficult to find! I have one bottle in reserve, and then... pfft!

05 May, 2008

Naed_Nitram's avatar
    Naed_Nitram

Clean, aristocratic, and somewhat mysterious. Perhaps it is the rose interfused with the lemon that gives it that ancient air. I am back with my ancestors, Duc de Laumes, Duc des Dunes, Damoiseau de Meringuez at the court of the Sun King at Versailles. Whispers of intrigue fill the corridors, murmurs of treason, sighs of romance, rumours of elevation or disgrace, promises, threats, despairs. And, pervading all in the busy and treacherous air, this beautiful scent hangs heavy and still in the royal afternoon. (de Charlus)

30th April, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Drakkar Noir and Loewe para Hombre after a night of passionate love-making, their glassy limbs and sprayers all entwined.

An old school Eighties power frag whose cult has plenty of adherents across the board (and in the larger world) for plenty of good reasons. I won't be paying the eBay premium for it anytime soon, no, but can certainly understand why Nobile fans would/do.

12 January, 2008

saginaw.thisweek's avatar
    saginaw.thisweek

I've been stocking up on this stuff on eBay at about twice the price it cost at the store before they discontinued it. Women love it. It's my favorite spring/summer scent.

16 December, 2007

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Gucci Nobile is a lovely, old-school scent. I find that it develops in surprising ways. Reviews below suggest that it is a strong scent... and that is true, it does have a substantial late mid and base. However, I found the opening to be light, a pleasant beginning of citrus, lavender and spice. Mild green notes and light florals then appear. The mace adds a very attractive interesting spice note, like nutmeg. That spicy aspect is complimented by the carnation, which contributes to the clove-like briskness. Up to now the scent has not been powerful. Suddenly, it picks up vigor. Coniferous scents emerge, and the scent gets much bigger. It develops a really classy, dry, refined aura. Clove, vetiver, fir, sharp sandalwood, and cedar are all there, and they make an intriguing, complex scent. The dry-down is spicy and musky. At times Nobile reminds me of Worth, or the warm spicy woods of Eucris or Astor.

11th July, 2007

ivan2057's avatar
    ivan2057
    Austria Austria

This was a blind buy at a sale and I immediately fell in love with it because it is a strong manly fragrance but stil fresh and well balanced so it doesn't make you smell like your own grandfather.I never found anything similar although 'Loewe para Hombre' might possibly get close.

10th March, 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Subtle, yet energetic with herbal and aromatic notes. There is a certain old-school refinement about this scent, which actually combines both a clean, puristic high-quality timelessness with that certain touch of dandy eccentricity. The drydown is crisp, with discreet minty touches later to be found also in Envy, refined cedar and an unlikely, but superb mix of almost neutral, colder, green notes and the warmth, magnetism, mysterious, exotic and spicy warmth of leathery notes. Still, the allround impression reminds all in all of very high-class, high-end eau de cologne and citrus scents( or both ), only with a more woody, cooler- almost neutral, marginally aquatic too-, almost antiseptic, but also slightly smoky, yet not incense and tobacco notes.
    Reminescent both of the iconic chypre smelling couture scents of the 80's, especially from Italian and even Spanish brands as they all, including this one, smell more or less Mediterranean, but also typical for the 80's, powerhouse and business-class, yet like the fully suitable and suggestive title says, also following and continuing a much older aristocrartic and conservative tradition of gentleman's scents, as it manages, inspite of the similarities with the 80's scents to transcend the materialistic, even if luxurious and powerful style of this decade and evolve to a more exclusive dimension, towards frail, suave, discreet notes embodying both the elusive, vapid vanity and the unattainable, distant, almost fairytale-like mood of the old world still dominated by nobility( and not yet by Wall Street ).

14 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2008)

ANDREW the cologne guy's avatar
    ANDREW the cologne guy
    Nigeria Nigeria

For that classy older gentleman...although I wore Nobile when I was 18. I can't find it today, but I would buy it in a heartbeat. The bottle caps weemed a bit cheap to me tohugh...which cheapened the scent.

31st October, 2006