Negative Reviews of Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

I so wanted to like this, as a huge CdG/Rei fan. I even own some of their clothes... I know, I am crazy but I found what I have on good sale prices and the few items I have are very "me" so had to have them sort of thing... Fragrance is another passion of mine and I really want to be able to experience CdG for cheaper - as in fragrance.

I loved the vision of these "anti-perfumes". I get the idea, and I could get behind it too... As a person into unusual/weird/novel things, I had high hopes from "oxygen, flash of metal, fire energy, washing drying in the wind, mineral carbon, sand dunes, nail polish, cellulose, pure air of the high mountains, ultimate fusion, burnt rubber, flaming rock..." Alas, on me it smells like dryer sheet and migraine. That's it. I got a very strong "start of migraine" note from this and none of those cool imagery/ingredients. Sad but this just was very unpleasant for me.

(Overall did not like/got migraine-threat notes of different sorts from: CdG, CdG 2, 3, White and 71... I loved/purchased CdG 2 Man, and some of the incense, red, and synthetic series)

---
I love CdG's aesthetics and was interested in their perfumes as well so I tried a lot of their offerings 2-3 at a time in 2006-2009 when I lived in London and went to Dover Street Market frequently. I got samples of some, full bottles of others. This review is from my notes back then so may not be what I think now, or take into account reformulations etc.
05th July, 2017
Nasty melted plastic and water...there is a bit of something...ozone...Not very creative
26th January, 2013
Hey, do you want a free sample of this? Well look no further.The sample is the air you breathe aka it smells like nothing...literally.
10th June, 2012

After the initial mélange of various ozonic/electrical scents, all that I can smell is nail polish, and it lasts forever. Do you want to smell like a TV screen smeared with nail polish...for a looong time? I don't. Frankly, this seems like the fragrance equivalent of living near high-tension power lines. Does that mean that Odeur 53 is carcinogenic? Well, maybe...?

Alright, I'm being facetious (I guess), but I really cannot fathom why anyone would want to subject themselves to this. Similarly, I cannot imagine that anyone would want to smell someone who emits this "odeur."

Oh, but it's an "anti-perfume." It's "art." Sheesh. What's next? A frag that smells like a Ziploc bag filled with the world's tiniest sea shells (not real ones, but space-age synthetic ones!) placed on the surface of the Moon? Fragrance notes like "Exploding Star," "Spent Fuel Rod," or "Frozen Glue"?

I am inclined to agree that this is avante garde, but that would be too complimentary. I would rather just say that it's pretentious and eerily misanthropic - and leave it at that.
09th April, 2009
I really wanted to like this, after all of the reviews I read. But I ended up getting a headache about 10 minutes after application. I believe it was the 'nail polish' note that did it...

Would not buy - but I was mystified by the smell, I will say.
10th January, 2007
A light, cool, fresh, artificial scent. I can't make out any notes, and I guess that's the point. It's a bit like a lighter, more mainstream version of the Synthetic series, a synthetic scent that's not offensive and smells like nothing in particular. I don't really like this kind of "cool and clean" scent, to be honest I'd rather smell "dirty". Too nondescript and fresh men's cologne-y for my taste.
14th August, 2006
Yeeks! smells like battery acid, or being struck by lightning. My most unequivocal thumbs down.
31st May, 2006
I wanted to like this since I think Series 3 Avignon is one of the best fragrances ever. But, it smelled so artificial and wierd on me. I guess that's the aesthetic point, but it didn't work for my preferences.
08th December, 2004