Neutral Reviews of Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

The ostentatiously contrived note pyramid accurately reflects the aesthetic behind Odeur 71, and offers plenty of entertainment value to boot. At least in this case, the accompanying fragrance is correspondingly unconventional. Odeur 71 smells like incense and laundry detergent, spiked with (synthetic?) cedar, woody amber, and a peppery green note. The drydown is pretty much pencil shavings.

The problem with purposefully “industrial” scents like this is that they often smell more like the contents of a desk drawer than avant-garde perfumes. They’re great if your idea of subversive fashion is smelling like an office, but perhaps better suited as remedies for workaholic insomniacs.

21st June, 2014 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

A very hard to wear fragrance or better an anti-fragrance, as written, the scent of the chaos over the planet, the odour of the dust on a lightbulb. This is a scent for amateurs, collectors, confrontationists, Naturalism's followers and sons of the Postfordism. I  wish to pubblically express my gratitude to my friend  Alfarom for the Odeur 71's sample that has sent to my address. There is  a lymphatic and grassy note of wild weeds barely cut and rubbed on human skin not so easy to get the feeling with (this is the main feel i smell) and there is an irony sheer characterizing tone whose many wrote about. The clash of the two opposite vibes plus an insertion of smoke  produces that sort of electronical effect that seems a sort of plastic-burnt smell after a short circuit or better a sort of synthetic xerox-toner smell. On the side of this metallurgical smell you can detect something of musky, soapy (i mean like a bath foam) and delicate in a sweet and melancholy way. I smell also wood or better smell of fornitures and shelves with plastic and paper inside. I detect the smoke, the moss, the air but not the incense. Some mysterious flowers are cleverly blended in the chaotic mix. The outcome is a unique and weird smell as yellow as the schizophrenia.

24 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2011)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Odeur 71 is a weird, creepy-smelling hybrid: on the one hand it has a green character with notes of lettuce, peppermint and grass; on the other, an arrangement suggestive of printed matter, electronic hardware, burning dust and the office stationary cupboard. One purpose of the greenery is to foreground the bizarre technico-industrial notes, or the 'anti' part of that inseparable 'anti-perfume' tagline.

Some might think it's mischievous or droll to make oneself smell like an overheating photocopier. I think it's deranged. At the risk of sounding like that Marxist killjoy, Theodeur Adorno, isn't Comme des Garçons' 'anti-perfume' in fact pitifully conservative in its compliance: this is a scent that makes you smell like a piece of technology, indistinguishable from the equipment. Odeur 71 smells to me like alienation in a bottle, masquerading as savvy parody.

Or – to plug myself back into the Matrix – Odeur 71 is a moderately refreshing scent of aluminium foil and celery.

13 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2011)

NillaGoon's avatar

This review is based on a couple of wearings from a sample, a fact that I feel I have to mention right off the bat because I'm afraid I just don't "get" this scent. The descriptions I see here and on other fragrance review boards are hard to reconcile with what I'm actually smelling.

I don't get any burned rubber, rack-and-pinion assemblies, giant robots, atmospheric molecular essences, moon landers, etc. out of this. To me it smells like 1) soap, and 2) a sort of geometric average of many other fragrances, kind of like the residual generic perfumey smell of a department store fragrance counter. The closest I can come to anyone else on this is that it does indeed smell something like a freshly printed glossy brochure. Had I not read the marketing materials and commentary, I would never in a million years have guessed that this fragrance would be considered outrageous or innovative.

It does succeed pretty well at avoiding any overtly identifiable accords. Evidently, this creates something of a Rorschach-like void into which perfumistas can project their own random synaptic activity. :-)

From a technical perspective, it's actually pretty good. It has just the right amount of sillage/projection. It's present enough for you to enjoy and to give out hints to people around you, but it's unlikely to offend anyone. It does smell pleasant, although it's hard to imagine anyone craving this scent (but I guess there are quite a few of you out there!).

Odeur 71 continues to pique my curiosity, so I will continue trying it. We'll see if it grows on me.

11th November, 2009

Icicle's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I might be a biased reviewer, since majority of my scents are spicy/woody oriental and really classic (just to avoid saying old-fashioned). So this is the odd one out which I bought for I was curious and felt mischievous... It is very flat on my skin, and after couple of preliminary office +ink +dirty car garage notes settles quickly into very woody something, surprisingly quite alike my other perfumes. I own it for two months and I still cannot decide whether I like it or not. Good to wear for work though, as it stays close to the skin and is hardly sexy.
    Nice try, but I think it's more a marketing masterpiece than anything else. Much Ado About Nothing.

05 December, 2008

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Here's my pretentious review when I was a n00b:

If Odeur 53 was a comfort scent of sitting in a garden of pixelized leaves and sunshine that's right next to a pool of soapy water that is filled with sentient robotic fish while being blown on the face by gusts of sweet refrigerated air --

...then Odeur 71 would be like standing alone, being the only human in a desolate robotic landscape with miles and miles of plastic-covered buildings that block out the sky. In the distance, you also see some robots burning pieces of rubber and other various synthetic material. They are there, but they make no sound. Everything is silent -- and the dust of the barren synthetic terrain are blown onto your face.

Here's my review today:

Metallic and woody. Okay, but boring. Pass!

05 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2009)

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

i tasted it recentrly and i have to say initially the perfume reminds me a bit the other Odeur, like dark and stony and dusty, but then changed radicly in an must more cleaner and attractive fragance made of thounsands of different notes but smeled just two:
    flowery lemon plus clean fresh air.
    Unfot. the smell vanish in seconds, doesn´t matter where you spray it :(
    so, I´m really sorry but neutral one.

07 September, 2006

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Amusing and quite wearable when used occasionally and reasonably. Interestingly, some of the marketing nonsense seems to be true: I do get the photocopier, but also sweat and stale butter. That's the fun thing about 71 - you can find almost anything there, depending on the mood, time and place. The not so fun thing is that it tends to be obtrusive and pretentious, like many other CdG creations. Best suited for young party-goers.

06 September, 2006

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I like it better than 53, probably because it has more natural notes and is less "clean" and "cool" and "fresh", although it is that too. Faint and artificial and nondescript but if I inhale deeply a get a whiff of something intriguing. Perhaps a hint of woods and leaves and the slightest touch of incense? A little sharper than 53.

14 August, 2006

Quite abstract and very challenging. It took me a long while to train my nose to smell the accords presented in Odeur 71 but I still am not sure of them. I sort of get the metal and office-aroma notes. I don’t find anything that smells like dust on a hot light bulb, or photocopier toner (both those odors are too sharp for anything I smell in this fragrance). No incense, but lots of artificially smelling wood in the base. I also get that accord that PM describes so well – grilled sausage (pork) with shampoo (unscented) gravy. I can wear Odeur 71 and even understand it a little, but I don’t think I will ever be able to like it very much. It’s not the kind of scent that will grow on me.

18 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)

Naed_Nitram's avatar

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'Comme des Garcons Odeur 71? A merely passable, undistinguished modern scent, reflecting ozone and ordinariness. A somewhat boring and watery work, wholly generic, in spite of its eccentric pretensions and strange list of ingredients: dust on light bulb, typewriter ribbon, dewdrop on nose, bleach on fingernail or whatever.'

25 October, 2005