Reviews of Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

therm's avatar
    therm
    Belgium Belgium

This is Odeur 53 with a dash of incense to it. Makes me think a little of church, but not in a bad way and definitely not as much as CdG Avignon. For me this, this is the winter version of Odeur 53 (although I know friends wearing this for their summer fragrance). Very fresh yet warming. Might take some wearing time for some to fully appreciate the fragrance.

01st April, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

A foul smelling concoction of too many discordant notes. I like unusual fragrances, but this smells green, and hot, and electrical, and plastic, too many competing smells

26 January, 2013

cfrench76's avatar
    cfrench76

I LOVE IT! A lot better than odeur 53 IMO. Has less of an alcoholic, sterile smell. It's greener, more verdant fragrance, yet it still has its weirder artificial notes. Very wearable and quite unisex.

08 January, 2013

kmfdm10392's avatar
    kmfdm10392

I've always been attracted to left of center scents, especially everyday things you smell around the house or in public. I was always the child standing close to the campfire because I liked the way burning leaves smell. I was the art student who enjoyed the smell of oil paint and turpentine. And I'm that weirdo who stands close to the pump because I like the smell of petrol. Mind you, I don't huff paint and/or chemical fumes for some drug-induced mental experience. I just enjoy certain odors and the mental and emotional associations they bring about. And I've always enjoyed colognes and perfumes that feature uncommon notes that offer those sorts of experiences. Those that go beyond "gee, you smell nice."
    Having said all that, I have found CdC 71 can be very polarizing. My boyfriend claims that every time I wear it , he thinks there is an electrical fire somewhere in the house, like something has shorted out. My childhood friend Paul says it reminds him of his days in the printing press warehouse. Needless to say the former hates 71 and the latter likes it. And I find that polarization is one of its greatest gifts.

30th July, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

A very hard to wear fragrance or better an anti-fragrance, as written, the scent of the chaos over the planet, the odour of the dust on a lightbulb. This is a scent for amateurs, collectors, confrontationists, Naturalism's followers and sons of the Postfordism. I  wish to pubblically express my gratitude to my friend  Alfarom for the Odeur 71's sample that has sent to my address. There is  a lymphatic and grassy note of wild weeds barely cut and rubbed on human skin not so easy to get the feeling with (this is the main feel i smell) and there is an irony sheer characterizing tone whose many wrote about. The clash of the two opposite vibes plus an insertion of smoke  produces that sort of electronical effect that seems a sort of plastic-burnt smell after a short circuit or better a sort of synthetic xerox-toner smell. On the side of this metallurgical smell you can detect something of musky, soapy (i mean like a bath foam) and delicate in a sweet and melancholy way. I smell also wood or better smell of fornitures and shelves with plastic and paper inside. I detect the smoke, the moss, the air but not the incense. Some mysterious flowers are cleverly blended in the chaotic mix. The outcome is a unique and weird smell as yellow as the schizophrenia.

24 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

When this came out back in 2000 it was totally revolutionary and I'm not talking about the provocative marketing concept behind the fragrance notes, but the scent itself. It was incredibly recognizable, unique and absolutely stunning. I always try to avoid hypes but couldn't resist Odeur 71. In the end, we can spend a lot of words and time talking about really well crafted fragrances, filled with top quality ingredients, and super professionaly balanced aromas but we should never forget that first of all, a perfume has to give you sensations and feelings and whether you'll like CDG's Odeur 71 or not, it won't leave you indifferent. My suggestion would be, just for one time, to try to avoid any description, comment, notes pyramid and and just smell.

A very distinctive mix of clean incense with a minty vibe and a strong xerox-toner note. Abstract and airy. An all time favourite.

Also, this is one of those scent that really needs to be collocated in its historical period to be properly appreciated. It surely belongs to the chemicals fragrances family, modern in a "contrapposition mode" to the classic, provocative and avanguardist, unconventional, but you can appreciate Odeur 71 and at the same time go mad for a Santa Maria Novella's original scent from the early 700. It was one of the first "barrier-braking" scent to (almost) make the cross-over from niche perfumery to the mass market as it became an huge cult for a whole generation.

05 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 October, 2011)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

Odeur 71 is a weird, creepy-smelling hybrid: on the one hand it has a green character with notes of lettuce, peppermint and grass; on the other, an arrangement suggestive of printed matter, electronic hardware, burning dust and the office stationary cupboard. One purpose of the greenery is to foreground the bizarre technico-industrial notes, or the 'anti' part of that inseparable 'anti-perfume' tagline.

Some might think it's mischievous or droll to make oneself smell like an overheating photocopier. I think it's deranged. At the risk of sounding like that Marxist killjoy, Theodeur Adorno, isn't Comme des Garçons' 'anti-perfume' in fact pitifully conservative in its compliance: this is a scent that makes you smell like a piece of technology, indistinguishable from the equipment. Odeur 71 smells to me like alienation in a bottle, masquerading as savvy parody.

Or – to plug myself back into the Matrix – Odeur 71 is a moderately refreshing scent of aluminium foil and celery.

13 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2011)

uxf's avatar
    uxf

Okay, I get a bit of the electrical short but frankly little else from the list of sci-fi "anti-perfume" notes. To me, this has an opening burst of sharp, tart, herbaceous aromatics and dries down to a cloud of fuzzy musk. This is a combination I just love. Horrors! Is Odeur 71 just another 80's powerhouse men's fragrance? Oh wait, I like 80's powerhouse men's fragrances.

09 February, 2011

meta's avatar
    meta

I love this. Why? It smells so new, something fresh out of the box. Not a fresh grassy smell no, but that of a person maybe with some robotic parts that have caught fire. Extremely interesting and it's deep on a different kind of deep level.

As the book I read says "Smells like a fresh clean shaven guy who came out of the shower and is chewing gum to hide the smell of tobacco"

10th December, 2010

spice's avatar
    spice

Electronic smoke. Blown speaker. "Oakmoss".

26 August, 2010

holyzoo's avatar
    holyzoo

Like Odeur 53, this is very ozonic atmospheric and light but 71 is more edgy, more electronic. Drys down to something slightly fern like. Very modern, cool, avante. As a guy, I prefer this over 53. Ultimately I chose to get a decant of Cumming instead. Additionally, Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella has a similar electronic chemical opening, but it's all about fresh leather which I prefer. If you want to really freak people out, wear both!

05 March, 2010

ironduke's avatar
    ironduke
    South Korea South Korea

Quite boring scent, but sniff of this scent have made me nauseated. And I remained dizzy for an hour. It remains mystery that why they bothered to make this scent at all.

16 February, 2010

NillaGoon's avatar
    NillaGoon

This review is based on a couple of wearings from a sample, a fact that I feel I have to mention right off the bat because I'm afraid I just don't "get" this scent. The descriptions I see here and on other fragrance review boards are hard to reconcile with what I'm actually smelling.

I don't get any burned rubber, rack-and-pinion assemblies, giant robots, atmospheric molecular essences, moon landers, etc. out of this. To me it smells like 1) soap, and 2) a sort of geometric average of many other fragrances, kind of like the residual generic perfumey smell of a department store fragrance counter. The closest I can come to anyone else on this is that it does indeed smell something like a freshly printed glossy brochure. Had I not read the marketing materials and commentary, I would never in a million years have guessed that this fragrance would be considered outrageous or innovative.

It does succeed pretty well at avoiding any overtly identifiable accords. Evidently, this creates something of a Rorschach-like void into which perfumistas can project their own random synaptic activity. :-)

From a technical perspective, it's actually pretty good. It has just the right amount of sillage/projection. It's present enough for you to enjoy and to give out hints to people around you, but it's unlikely to offend anyone. It does smell pleasant, although it's hard to imagine anyone craving this scent (but I guess there are quite a few of you out there!).

Odeur 71 continues to pique my curiosity, so I will continue trying it. We'll see if it grows on me.

11th November, 2009

SeaninDubh's avatar
    SeaninDubh

Candle wax falling onto an electric heater that has been switched on for the first time since summer, a tube station in London with a whiff of incense. The initial synthetic cocktail gives way to something very wearable with a trace of something a little odd.

30th September, 2009

decillisjl's avatar
    decillisjl

what a complicated and shifty little mess this baby is... i'm trying my best to conjure up the proper vocabulary to describe this one... first blast out of the bottle places me in a gargantuan room stacked to the ceiling with whizzing whirring buzzing electrical equipment... this smells hot... not hot in a spicy or cinnamon way, more like standing alone in the middle of the desert with 120 degree temperatures, and out of the blue sky lightning strikes right next to me, filling the air with frenzied electrons while the sand morphs directly into glass... the drydown never fully escapes this unique yet somewhat pleasing aroma, but what drives me nuts is that no more than an hour after application i can no longer smell it on my skin, yet every couple of minutes i get a gentle wafting of scorched silicone mixed with artificial butter... it is not entirely unpleasant just absolutely strange... i totally agree with moltening's review in that wearing this makes me feel utterly alone amongst armies of futuristic machinery, even when i'm in a crowded elevator with the unwashed masses... i would never feel comfortable wearing this outside, but i'll always keep a sample around for the times i want to feel like like a machine... thumbs up but for ingenuity and "what the f@ck is this"

12 March, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

Heh, first I must say that its sort of nice to see Foetidus mentioning my “grilled sausage with shampoo gravy” description on his review….And I actually remember the time when I said that, although it was many years ago.

This is a great scent and exactly the kind of stuff CdG is most known for.

Odeur 71 shares lot similarities with its older brother, O 53, and yet they are so very different. It’s almost a head-spinning riddle to do side by side test with the two.

Odeur 71 smells soapy, smoky, shiny metallic, sweet and salty, plastically flowery, mysteriously exotic. It smells like it’s not from this planet.

How ridiculous the concept may sound to some, this is genuinely an odd yet very pleasant and wearable fragrance.

Wonderful, although I prefer 53 over this.

03 February, 2009

gandrasta's avatar
    gandrasta
    Indonesia Indonesia

First it's a bold metallic and technological, I can even smell electronic components in flame for a second and it shift to airy and something untraceable. Just only in an hour, Odeur 71 hits its heart with warm light leather-spice notes. I think there's leather, a very light one. I was blown away!

15 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2009)

Jaunty Monty's avatar
    Jaunty Monty

I have been an almost daily wearer of Odeur 71 for approximately a year and I find it an amazing scent. As a sister fragrance to Odeur 53, I believe Odeur 71 is more 'friendly' as it is a mix of synthetics and florals ... and lettuce juice! Out of the bottle and when it is freshly sprayed, the synthetic side is more pronounced with the often mentioned burnt rubber tone being more dominant as well as what I think is a warm plastic smell (like a busy photocopier or hot computer). As it dries down however, there is a slight sweetness to the scent and it morphs into a more floral kind of scent. It is not a strong scent overall and you won't be leaving a trail of it as you walk down the street or hallway which is why I like CDG. The people that can smell it are the people you have closer contact with which I think is nice. Having said that however, I recall someone saying that you wear Odeur 71 for your own enjoyment and no one else's which sums me up totally!

12 December, 2008

Icicle's avatar
    Icicle
    Netherlands Netherlands

I might be a biased reviewer, since majority of my scents are spicy/woody oriental and really classic (just to avoid saying old-fashioned). So this is the odd one out which I bought for I was curious and felt mischievous... It is very flat on my skin, and after couple of preliminary office +ink +dirty car garage notes settles quickly into very woody something, surprisingly quite alike my other perfumes. I own it for two months and I still cannot decide whether I like it or not. Good to wear for work though, as it stays close to the skin and is hardly sexy.
    Nice try, but I think it's more a marketing masterpiece than anything else. Much Ado About Nothing.

05 December, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Different. Very, very different. In a few words without going pretentious artsy: a wet woody metallic. However, if you read the crazy fragrance notes list, you can almost imagine them from this scent. They are not discernible immediately but they can be found. "Dust on a lightbulb" is my faavorite "note" in the wacky bunch. A definite try before you buy both historically and odorifically.

12 August, 2008

moltening's avatar
    moltening
    Thailand Thailand

Here's my pretentious review when I was a n00b:

If Odeur 53 was a comfort scent of sitting in a garden of pixelized leaves and sunshine that's right next to a pool of soapy water that is filled with sentient robotic fish while being blown on the face by gusts of sweet refrigerated air --

...then Odeur 71 would be like standing alone, being the only human in a desolate robotic landscape with miles and miles of plastic-covered buildings that block out the sky. In the distance, you also see some robots burning pieces of rubber and other various synthetic material. They are there, but they make no sound. Everything is silent -- and the dust of the barren synthetic terrain are blown onto your face.

Here's my review today:

Metallic and woody. Okay, but boring. Pass!

05 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2009)

SaintFoucault's avatar
    SaintFoucault
    South Africa South Africa

This is an "outsider" perfume. Lonely, melancholy, nostalgic, cynical and self-searching. Wear it for your own enjoyment and not for others. The notes don't evolve over time, but depending on your state of mind evoke bizarre unconcious associations. A perfume homage to the music of Ligeti, Stockhausen, Xenakis... Fantastic!!!

22 December, 2007

nthny's avatar
    nthny

Well, it *is* different, we can give it that. My question always about Comme des Garcons is, if I didn't know what was going on here would my opinion of it change? There is something detatched and oddly lonely about this. It's like walking in an industrial landscape or a sterile corporate megaplex in the middle of nowhere, picking up some of the grass coming from the riding lawnmower that is making the only sound in the pristinely vacant scene.

Odeur 71 is the sweetness we all smell when we smell things we feel silly about smelling. The inside of a glossy brochure, the funny sweet smell of duct tape, the smell of a hot computer or TV and their warm plastic and whirring inner parts. This is funny... I was thinking pen ink and looked up to see, and sure enough, it was in the listed ingredients! If I could try to "get in there" and figure out what natural ingredients are creating this effect, I'd assume something grassy, something rubbery, something lightly smokey (especially in the opening moments), something like light clean soil. But the end result really is "office" or "vacant modern space", totally gray, clean, like the standard plastics used to cover office equipment, and I don't even want to aesthetically strip it of its vision by trying to figure that out.

A lot of things that aren't typically fragrant have a smell, and we know those smells are there, and Comme des Garcons has bottled many of them into a fascinating fragrance that seems more appropriate for study than for wear. Of course that's up to the individual as it is certainly far less repellent than many of the more standard fragrance offerings available today from large designer houses in department stores. Thumbs up for uniqueness and artistic integrity.

19 October, 2007

petergunny's avatar
    petergunny
    Indonesia Indonesia

First tried this frag on march 07, the 15ml's one. The lady on the counter didnt want to spray it, so I only sniff the sprayhead. I dont like it because the only things I can detect was only burnt rubber. Yesterday I went to mall near to my house n found a small perfume shop, I was very supprised that they have Odeur 71 200 ml since this perfume is very hard-to-find in my country, I've got a one full spray in my arm. The opening's still a burnt rubber but after 5 minutes it transformed into something transparent-fresh-woody fragrance, a really well blended one. My wife also like it very much. My body chemistry never compromise with any fresh kind of frag, but this one is the first fresh frag that I can use. I also found that this is very complex, you can almost find anything inside.

01st May, 2007

xxerus's avatar
    xxerus
    France France

GREAT ! No hesitation if you want to smell "different " : this is definitely an anti perfume and you won't smell like if you had used an eau de toilette... You will smell (it is very difficult to describe 'cose this frag is very abstract) "fresh" and "clean" but also... dusty ! I didn't like it at all when I first sprayed it (smells too much like a burnt tire ; luckily this frag goes away pretty fast) but 1 hour after, when it has warmed and developped... !

26 March, 2007

Lynn Faust's avatar
    Lynn Faust

i don't think i have washed anything off so quickly before. the positive noteis that it has good staying power... i can't get the scent off my wrist. the negative is theat imo it smells like old burned plastic.

07 December, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

i tasted it recentrly and i have to say initially the perfume reminds me a bit the other Odeur, like dark and stony and dusty, but then changed radicly in an must more cleaner and attractive fragance made of thounsands of different notes but smeled just two:
    flowery lemon plus clean fresh air.
    Unfot. the smell vanish in seconds, doesn´t matter where you spray it :(
    so, I´m really sorry but neutral one.

07 September, 2006

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Amusing and quite wearable when used occasionally and reasonably. Interestingly, some of the marketing nonsense seems to be true: I do get the photocopier, but also sweat and stale butter. That's the fun thing about 71 - you can find almost anything there, depending on the mood, time and place. The not so fun thing is that it tends to be obtrusive and pretentious, like many other CdG creations. Best suited for young party-goers.

06 September, 2006

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

I like it better than 53, probably because it has more natural notes and is less "clean" and "cool" and "fresh", although it is that too. Faint and artificial and nondescript but if I inhale deeply a get a whiff of something intriguing. Perhaps a hint of woods and leaves and the slightest touch of incense? A little sharper than 53.

14 August, 2006

foetidus

Quite abstract and very challenging. It took me a long while to train my nose to smell the accords presented in Odeur 71 but I still am not sure of them. I sort of get the metal and office-aroma notes. I don’t find anything that smells like dust on a hot light bulb, or photocopier toner (both those odors are too sharp for anything I smell in this fragrance). No incense, but lots of artificially smelling wood in the base. I also get that accord that PM describes so well – grilled sausage (pork) with shampoo (unscented) gravy. I can wear Odeur 71 and even understand it a little, but I don’t think I will ever be able to like it very much. It’s not the kind of scent that will grow on me.

18 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)