Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Open by Roger & Gallet

Yes, the beginning is a bit brutal with a blast of medicinal herbs, lavender, aromatic herbs/spices and lime/bergamot but the olfactory strength soon fades morphing towards something (still hesperidic but kind of "cologny") softer, far less pharmacautical and delicately woodsy with a masculine vetiver/patchouli combo. It may be reminds effectively Equipage but without any suede/leather trace in my opinion, just a sort of soapy amber/tobacco which is really pleasant and balanced. Old-school, clean and "sensible" eau de cologne type of smell.
11th November, 2012
I wore this quite a bit when it first came out. It reminds me of Fendi Uomo, but Fendi is more sophisticated, and not as bright as this. I still like Open, but it seems dated and a little pungent.
24th April, 2010
Like everyone else says, it's too "soapy" and the beginning is too strong (but is pleasant). However, when it settled down, I did not like the synthetic smell. This isn't a particularly bad cologne, but you should not buy this one without trying!
19th January, 2010

The opening notes seem to remind me of Francesco Smalto pour Homme, not exactly, but very similar with that almost germicidal or disinfectant smell at the start. It then dries down to a much deeper and heavy scent. A very masculine 70’s and 80’s style scent. Seems more of a cold/cool weather style of fragrance.
14th August, 2005