Reviews of Orange Spice by Creed

Find out more about Orange Spice by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Skanky orange, rather along the lines of Cologne Bigarade or Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger. More aggressively animalic than the first, but not as sharp as the latter, Orange Spice will appeal to anyone who likes the olfactory oxymoron of a “dirty citrus.” I do, but this a scent to test carefully and repeatedly. It’s surprisingly offbeat for this house, and a nice reminder of what Creed could do “back in the day.”

22 June, 2014

Francolino's avatar

very retro..an original take on citrus.. a bit soay in the drydown, really nice

13 April, 2014

Preston H's avatar

This is another throwback to when men's fragrance was actually masculine. A mans citrus from start to finish. The neroli heart note is butched up by spices to give this a classic masculine appeal. I've personally seen creeds client list, and it just shows you can't judge a book by its cover. I thought any fragrance worn by the king of pop would smell like bubblegum and strawberry soda, not a rugged, refined scent fit for a mans man..

12 March, 2013

rbaker's avatar

A beautiful dirty-spicy orange top notes lasts for about an hour, and is followed by a clove and civet impression, with the drydown being dominated by ambergris - as in some other members of the Creed family. Silage is good as is longevity - over four hours on my skin. A conservative fragrance with a nice twist, safe but interesting. I do not get much urine cake in the scent.

20th April, 2012

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Since Pierre Bourdon, createur of Cool Water, was involved (deeply, I assume) in the development of Green Irish Tweed, I find it highly likely that as the nose behind Kouros, he played a similar role in the all-too-similar Orange Spice. He did a great job on both. But where GIT pointed forward to the age of Acquatics this product of the 1980s harks back to old-fashioned gentlemen's barbershop days, with Victorian potpourri and Elizabethan pomanders of orange and clove lurking beyond, in the misty haze of olfactory history. Yes, the smell of neroli and spice-tinged soap (n.b. Roger & Gallet's Extra-Vieille) and shaving products produces quite a nostalgic atmosphere that will either be judged with warm fondness or modernist disgust. I personally enjoy it phenomenally with an arch-conservative English suit.

28 February, 2012

MOONB's avatar

Gorgeous stuff.

Orange Spice opens with a civet-laden drop kick to the face, much like the original Kouros, yet darker and richer-smelling. The civet is potent but recedes after a few minutes, revealing a very naturalistic representation of orange zest and clove. Hints of neroli and ambergris waft along after an hour or so, and extend the lifespan of the scent far beyond what I had imagined was possible for a Creed EDT. Nine hours later I still get clear whiffs of it off my shirt and chest. The orange and clove are all that remain, but they're beautifully done here. I imagine Orange Spice will be discontinued within the year, and it saddens me that this fragrance hasn't garnered more positive press, but at least Kouros will stick around. I'll remember this Creed every time I wear the famous YSL scent, and dream of better days that have long passed.

15 February, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

I almost did this side-by-side with Kouros since people make that comparison, but now I'm glad I didn't. It's maybe a bit akin to Kouros Fraicheur: soapy, and domineeringly so, with some legitimate neroli in the top notes but that gets buried under the slick, slimy, alkaline notes of a bar of cheap motel soap that someone peed on a little bit. It out-Muglers Mugler Cologne in that sense, but at least for now it's not as bad as I had dreaded from before. It's also a very dated, almost antique scent, which ought to be emanating from an old-fashioned low-end barber shop, not from a specific fragranced product, but just from the combination of all the soaps, lotions, tonics and creams being used inside all day. Another good scent for the dapper, well-groomed gentlemen aboard the Titanic in 1912. Still, because it passes so easily for heavy soap, it would fare much better than a lot of other antiquated scents, coming in right under the radar even today, when nobody would expect a man to smell this way. The base notes also smell a bit more like a deliberate personal fragrance, woodier and grassier, with even some leather I think, so it wins back some credibility there too. Overall, not a failure by any means, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it and how to approach it.

04 February, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Orange Spice is indeed a good fragrance. It starts out with a extremely dated aroma (which doesn't mean it is awful!) as expected, with a corpulent and synthetic orange note which makes me remember of Kouros Fraicheur, specially because after this strong opening that persists for about 5 minutes, spices kicks in with a pungent clove note taking the whole fragrance, but here the clove isn't a pure one, instead it is combined with
    that citric chord from the beginning giving another depth to this Creed.

Anyway, a long lasting fragrance that smells refined!

06 November, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

I'm all for animalic notes but I just don't like this composition for some reason. Is it that I need note separation when the animalic notes are strong? Whatever the case may be, this is indeed a smoother, lighter Kouros, so if you really dislike Kouros I don't see why you would like this. An example of a really animalic fragrance that I like is vintage Tabu. OS doesn't have much dynamism nor balance, and is what I call a "man sweat frag," meaning that it seems to be designed to smell like certain people think a man should smell like, rather than being made for a fragrance aficionado. Of course, at the time, thee was no such thing, so you can't fault the perfumer for doing this, but it has an air freshener quality that way, though of course air fresheners don't have animalic notes. Anyway, the longevity and projection/"sillage" are fine, so I'll give this a neutral only because it doesn't appeal to my aesthetic.

06 March, 2011

bokaba's avatar

I agree that Orange Spice is the older, more mild-mannered sibling of Kouros. OS opens with a blast of smooth yet somewhat synthetic mandarin type orange and is followed by neroli, aromatic spices like clove and cinammon, possibly civet, and dries down to the typical sweet-salty Creed ambergris accord. Longevity and sillage are good though I am used to traditional colognes. Great product from Creed's yesteryear. This is the ambiance of the Elizabethan era--the mixture of citrus, spice, and animalic accords before the Farina made the light citrus and floral cologne popular.

28 November, 2010

The Masked Armpit's avatar

Kouros for those of the nursing home age. Gross!

17 July, 2010

Jack's avatar

Little like kuros, just smoother. I think its very good.

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2010)

TropiRock's avatar

Fabulous. Of the Creed fragrances I have tried, this is my favorite. I bought it for the orange note, but honestly can’t detect much orange. Darn. However, the good news is the other notes which render OS as a spicy, soapy masculine cologne with good sillage and unbelievable longevity. Creed is known for high-quality formulations and this one is no exception. Expensive to an excess but if you’re bold enough to pony up the cash, I think you’ll like this one. I can’t think of many other colognes which compare, but Safari (Ralph Lauren) comes to mind as a weaker, less interesting – and cheaper – alternative. Orange Spice is fairly strong, so I recommend moderation until you see how it performs on your own skin. For me, about 3-4 spritzes is enough. Thumbs up.

26 March, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

I like this one, to me it smells similar to Royal English Leather which i love a lot . I still think REL is better but this one is not bad at all.

23 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2010)

funky lion's avatar

I can't imagine how a woman may wear this bachelor scent. I have sprinkled it on my wrist thinking "Oh, I love orange, I love spice - I will love this scent for sure!" Well, no go. I've remembered how my grandfather smelled - for me "Orange Spice" is a scent for an elegant elderly gentleman.

24 January, 2010

djolney's avatar

A gentleman in the latter part of his life sits confidently in the lobby of a fine hotel. His suit and tie are elegant and his shirt is crisp. His posture is proud, despite the passing of the years, and his eyes are piercing. The attractive young women who pass by acknowledge his gaze good-naturedly, recognising that this man would have swept them off of their feet in his day. He is waiting for his grandson, who, as ever, is late.

Into the lobby walks a strikingly masculine young man with proud posture and piercing eyes, like the old man.

“Kouros, my boy,” the old man growls, “late again?”

“Sorry Grand Father,” the young man smiles, “I was lost in something captivating.”

“No matter my boy,” the old man chuckles, “there will be plenty of time for that after we catch up.”

The two men embrace, and then walk to the dining room lost in their bond of blood and time.

Creed Orange Spice is the progenitor of YSL’s Kouros. This is not to say that it is an old man’s fragrance, but, rather, that Orange Spice is the past from which Kouros emerged.

Orange Spice is softer and smoother than Kouros, but no less elegant or striking.

The orange, clove, and animalic note are in similar balance to Kouros, but somewhat less intense than Kouros.

If you enjoy Kouros you will enjoy Orange Spice, and if Kouros is a bit too much for you Orange Spice will be perfect.

02 October, 2009

sjohnjay's avatar

This is excellent. Quite easily one of the best in the CREED lineup. There is a slight similarity to Kouros, which exists solely on a superficial level, for about a split-second. Very masculine; smells like bath soap from the first half of the 20th century, and exudes 'class'. The 'orange/citrus' note may only be evident upon knowing what to look (smell) for. OS has adequate projection, and astronomical longevity. I consider this to be one of the CREED perfumes worth the pricetag. I rate this: 9.5/10.

17 August, 2009

Aaron01's avatar

My first thoughts were "Kouros, is that you? Why were you rolling around in an orange field?" But once you spray them on each arm for a careful juxtaposition it's very easy to tell where these scents are different.

Kouros opens dirtier due to the heavier civet and the oakmoss, the clove adds some spice to it.

Orange Spice lacks the harsh opening and has a far more subdued clove note, it can smell a bit like Kouros, but there's a very noticeable mandarin and orange note that stick with you the whole time and compliment the must and civet (?) quite nicely. The orange note is not as raw as say, FM's Bigarrade Concentree, which smells like orange peels, it's almost like that smell of fresh orange juice, it's quite noticable and it flirts with you and adds a nice balance to the scent. Upon the drydown it becomes much warmer and starts to blossom, bringing out the "dirty" notes, but the oranges never leave you.

I don't particuarly like citrus scents, but this is one like none other.....and I love it

16 January, 2009

DaKnows's avatar

The general dynamics of this fragrance have already been reviewed. I will echo that comments that, at least to me, this smells like something they would scent a urinal cake with. That's fine if people you know would be impressed with that line of work, but I for one don't feel confident walking around all day smelling like something people pee on.

13 December, 2008

Kaern's avatar

Not quite as dirty as Cuir D'Oranger, but getting there. Great longevity and sillage with a lovely musky drydown. Bottle worthy for sure -- don't miss out.

18 November, 2008

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Ugh, brutal. It smells of a really strong toilet mint. It does last forever though, in fact you will probably need Lava soap or kerosine to get it off you.

14 August, 2008

mister_lance's avatar

I was hoping for more out of this one. This smells like a bathroom, and I mean that with the utmost respect. When I say bathroom, I should clarify and say that it smells like a clean bathroom which has plenty of air fresheners in it. I do smell the orange, and the spice, but this one doesn't lite my fire. If you think you like this then try Royal Delight, which is much more classy, has a slight spice, but smoothes out everything with a little vanilla.

02 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

At first I thought "wow, oranges!" then I thought, "um, did someone Kouros in my sample?" but after that I thought, "there's no civet". Lasted a whole night on me; a constant barrage of it. It gave me a sense of confidence but, very very oddly enough, I don't like the scent.

01st August, 2008

Tony T's avatar

i agree with djolney. a gentlemen's cologne over 50. strikingly similiar to kouros. very animalistic spice that pumps the life out of every other note.minimal orange just rough and rugged spice. tony montana would wear this. a very macho scent not really to my liking.

22 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

mikey_p's avatar

The similarities between this and Kouros are quite striking, both have that animalic civet sexiness, though I feel there is more of a civet presence here. I can't wear Kouros myself because of that strange harsh chemical/soapy note that has been mentioned before that adds an intolerable harshness, though I quite like it when I catch it in a stranger's sillage. That note is absent here, and OS has a chiffon like lightness that is always easy to wear. True, this is much simpler than Kouros, but that is in itself not a bad thing as sometimes you don't feel like wearing a fragrance that talks too much. This is like a light civet/orange gauzy veil. Divine...

10th April, 2008

Hamp's avatar

Excellent! Warm, inviting and comforting. Although there is a definite similarity to Kouros, I think Orange Spice is the better of the two. Refreshing and romantic.

18 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2011)

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Well, the first 30 seconds literally smell like a gorilla who exists on a diet of nothing but rotting citrus peels just defecated. Blame this on the use of Civet.

But after that, it really opens up for the better, into a wonderfully "potpurri-like" combination of Orange and Clove, just like a Pomander. The orange peel oil doesn't last long, but the clove lasts well, and it's a shame this combo couldn't live longer, as this stage is my favorite of Orange Spice, happens about 5-10 minutes into it.

Under this wonderfully fresh/warm/comforting scent, comes a very fresh, yet heavy and durable, long-lasting musk/soap scent that smells like it was obviously the inspiration for YSL's Kouros, only here it's just so much more gentile and polite, and MUCH SOAPIER. Far less "public urinal", and far more "bleached hotel bathroom". The presence or clove and something which resembles the inner white portion of the orange peel (pith) still sticks with the scent til the end, and that is often the next day.

This drydown, which is great for when one wants a fresh/heavy scent in cooler/colder weather, smells part like a freshly sanitized bathroom, but also quite alot like a neroli/lavender/clove soap. So let's say whereas Kouros utilizes this "sanitary" note in smelling like a public restroom. Orange Spice utilizes it and manages to smell like a freshly bleached white bathroom, in where multiple people are bathing with the aforementioned neroli/lavender/clove milled soap, and the scent of this soap is rich in the air mixing with the sanitary/bleach note. Perhaps there is a little Orange Peel/Lavender bud/Clove potpourri in this bathroom as well. But it is still distinctly "bathroom" lol.

It isn't something I'll wear often outside of cool/cold weather, but I felt compelled to own this as it scratches an itch that many of my other scents simply do not, and does so with grace and class. A very enjoyable scent, which is head and shoulders above it's "too heavy/dirty/offensive" offspring.

12 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2010)

tvlampboy's avatar

Warm and spicy half-brother to Kouros, yes. Not quite as animalic and oily, no, and obviously with a higher price tag. Still, the similarities can't be denied. A very nice Creed for the edt line, with superb longevity and sillage. Avoid, however, if you've always hated Kouros.

24 November, 2007

The Duke's avatar

I thought that I would hate this one, but I kind of like it! I am not a fan of overly citusy scents, and from the name, that is just what i expected it to be. It is not though! It deffinately has orange in it, but Creed has somehow managed to balance it out very well with the use of spices, and Amber. Still not something i would wear, but definately worth a try.

05 June, 2007

Oaksbluff's avatar

I'd bought this blind based on others' comparisons to Kouros, and I doff my hat to you all; this was a spot-on recommendation.
    While Kouros can have a much more bodily intensity to (which I usually adore. I guess other reviewers say it is civet?) OS remains clean, clear, and entirely classy all the time. OS has much more orange in it, and I would proffer that any fans of the YSL would LOVE OS as a variant. The same people who think that Kouros smells heavy on me adore the Creed. I myself adore them both.
    Of the Creeds I've tried, this one stands out entirely. Even though it is not of the millesime intensity of ingredients, it still has awesome longevity; the development shifts from citrus to that Creed "underarmour" aroma after about 6-7 hours. Even at that time I can still pick out what I'm wearing and others still say that I smell good.
    I'd wear this day or night, and while it is a relative newcomer to my collection, I don't think there are any seasonal constraints to it.
    This has also heralded the beginnings of a bit of Creed collecting, for better or worse!

20th May, 2007