Reviews of Pasha by Cartier

Find out more about Pasha by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jaybear's avatar

Finland Finland

Pasha opens with caraway, mint and lavender and eventually ends up with a nice base of sandalwood and oakmoss. Somehow, for me, the smell of Pasha is an epitome of a classic aftershave. It's spicy, woody, elegant and well controlled, it inspires confidence in a delicate and sophisticated way. Rather good indeed.

28 August, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Pasha by Cartier is a fragrance I have been using since it was introduced. I wear it to work once in a while (just a spray or two) and sometimes in the evenings when I go out. It lasts a long time on me. It is my favorite fragrance from the Cartier line. A true classic!!

28 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Has Pasha been reformulated? The stuff I’ve been wearing for the past few hours smells nothing like the suave, sophisticated fougère of the earlier reviews. The sour citrus and aromatic top notes are unspeakably hideous, like a grapefruit steeped in urine for a week. I attribute the effect to an ill-judged dose of clary sage and wait for it to pass. It doesn’t.

A crude assortment of spices represents improvement only so far as it provides a diversion from the ugly citrus. Soapy lavender, sweet resins, and geranium fill out a conventional fougère structure, but if the intent is to juxtapose the elegant and animalic à la Jules or Lauder for Men, Pasha fails miserably. Its spices and citrus fit together awkwardly and its proportions badly want balance. Among bold, animalic fougères, even Kouros smells impeccably tailored by comparison.

To smell this kind off thing done very well, take a sniff of Amouage Ciel for Men. Ciel weaves a similarly “pissy” animalic note through a much more subtle and refined spicy-fruity fougère structure, then decorates it all with a buoyant floral motif that’s almost too pretty for a masculine scent. The result? Ciel sings like Sinatra while Pasha grunts and belches.

If you like the idea of a bold, spicy, yet sophisticated fougère with an animalic edge and don’t want to shell out for Amouage, hunt down the underappreciated Lauder for Men. It’s more conventionally “masculine” than Ciel, but it handily trumps Pasha in craft and quality. If the animalic aspect is too much for you, Azzaro pour Homme or Tuscany Uomo offer high quality olfactory experiences without the raunchy undertone.

23 June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a great classic fragrance with so elegant and classy smell.
    I remember, when i was a kid, my uncle was a young and attractive man. he wore a tie and suit and this fragrance was his signature scent.
    The opening is fresh, herbal and at the same time a little smoky with some floral notes. it's a little sharp at the start.
    The anise, sandalwood and oak moss notes give this fragrance a woody and floral smell and the mint note makes it fresh and more herbal.
    In the dry down which appears around 15-20 minutes after, the mint note is almost gone. there are some sweetness in the dry down with great and so elegant brazilian rosewood, sandalwood and patchouli combo. very pleasant scent.
    In the base the smell doesn't change too much except the scent become sweeter with almost mossy smell.
    Definitely it's a classic fragrance for a mature man. I mean more than 30 years old. but it doesn't smells dated and I think a young 20 years old still can rock this fragrance.
    Great projection and longevity.

10th May, 2014

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Minty chypre-fougère, slightly sweet, slightly formal, old-fashioned. Herbal component in the top, rosewood component lurking in the middle. Reminds me of YSL's Jazz, although Pasha is more formal.

Would classify it as a summer chypre, not too cloying and the mintyness gives it a cooler vibe in the heat.

19 February, 2013

Gabbanaguy's avatar

This is a outstanding fragrance. I just tried It for the first time and just love it. I think I smell like a Persian Prince. Although I have never smelled a Persian Prince before. Or at least I dont think I have. Better than smelling like Persian rug I suppose. It really is a wonderful sent...Im surprised that It's not more popular.

Pasha by Cartier has good longevity and reasonably good projection. Not a monster In anyway...but it dosen't need to be. It's quite nice just the way it is.

Dont dismiss this one because It came out 20 years ago. That Indeed would be a mistake. Well done Cartier.

12 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

heavy, far out....just a classic fouger!

07 July, 2012

yoshimittsu's avatar

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CARTIER COLOGNE.... PERIOD.

SMELLS SO GOOD ONCE IT SETTLES AFTER FEW HOURS.

01st February, 2012

silversurfer's avatar

While not as long lasting, I detect similarities between this (pre-reformulation) Pasha and Michael Kors for men, which I happen to like. There are notes in common in top, mid, and base. I don't get Turin's disparaging "Lemon Pledge" or "big in Brunei" (whatever did that little country do to deserve that cut?) comments. I enjoy reading Turin, and for the most part, appreciate his comments and evaluations. Sometimes his humor is lost on me (probably more my fault than his). At any rate, I like Pasha enough to give a semi-thumbs-up rating. I have a small bottle and not sure whether or not I'll replace it when empty.

21st December, 2011

Darvant's avatar

A classic green aromatic-citrusy-dusty fragrance very masculine, too lastingly sour and unfortunately weak in longevity as usual for Cartiers. The beginning is minty-herbal and citrusy-lavender with a powerful touch of tart citrus, the immediate influence of the patchouli (despite listed among the base notes) and a bitter and pungent very characterizing  incensey-tobacco  note (may be because of the labdanum). The first blast is like being able to  assemble all the notes of the fragrance  expressing immediately in a bombastic way what the smell is going later to become, namely a green-aromatic dusty boise' with some persistent touch of rooty-tart bitterness partially balanced by a durable mild floral whiff. The sour temperament of citrus contributes with the floral touch to create the bit tart mildness of the final smell while the coriander enhances the aromatic green and dusty temperament. Somebody  talks about an urine kind of smell and about a sort of crudity proper of grapefruit and citrus, i see in part the association. The list mentions the note of Golden Alyssum that is a genus of flowering plant with a sort of floral mild and fresh kind of smell. The final outcome smells exactly like a tamed and gentled version of the first whiff even if the crude pungency fails in its attempt to fade. The link of floral notes and mint features the aromatic, almost balsamic, smell throughout its scarce development while the base is mossy and woodsy, with sandalwood as main note. Two hours later luckily the tartness morphs in something as a soapy woodsy mildness but than the smell has almost utterly faded. I smell some similarities with Tsar, which is less aromatic and citrusy but more woodsy and smoky, and with the great Lauder for Men, a more complex leathery fragrance with an higher touch of florals and tobacco and a darker and smoother outcome.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2011)

jason_newton's avatar

Japan Japan

Finally got around to buying this. Its almost twenty years since I last bought it. Still smells wonderful. Maybe the kind of thing an older guy would wear. it smells rich and sophisticated in the way the Cartier fragrances from the 80's/90's typify.

When I last bought this back in 1993, it came in a very expensive (all silver) refillable bottle. That's gone now - a reflection of a new age but luckily the scent smells the same.

Wonderful, heady stuff!

14 August, 2011

0j76's avatar

England England

For me, one of the best fragrances in the world right now. It's presence, it's golden aura, class, and refinement are nothing short of spectacular. It simply smells 'right', and to me, as good as it gets. It defines, for me, the difference between a fine smelling fragrance we can intellectually appreciate (Chanel Pour Monseur), and one that makes my heart skip a beat. Do I wish it lasted longer and projected better - yes. But then, the quality would probably take a knock to make that happen. Others have talked about Lauder for Men. No doubt a fine fragrance, but it genuinely smells off compared with the Cartier. Luca Turin says that Pasha smells like Pledge furniture polish. If only that were true, I could save a fortune!

07 August, 2011

OmerPervaiz's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

It is a nice fragrance but not great with good sillage and average longevity.
    It is a typical spicy/menthol fragrance, nothing is particular about it. It is for mature age group opens with great spicy/menthol notes to me that is a bright opening but dries down very quickly to almost nothing. there is no evolution of notes felt to me.
    I give it 6 out of 10

05 August, 2011

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

The gentle opening was rather interesting but the drydown reminds me too much of Chanel Allure pour Homme, one I really dont like..

It often happens in life that we have to pay for someone else's faults..so do fragrances sometimes..

06 June, 2011

LiveJazz's avatar

A nice minty/spicy opening quickly morphs into a big, fat, bland soapy fougere accord that just sits there, blasting its dull obnoxiousness like a broken early 90s foghorn.

24 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2011)

rainmaker's avatar

very sophisticated!
    The mint note soothes down the spicy accord, which makes is wearable during the day as well. I like it!

12 December, 2010

Virabhadra's avatar

I get the spice very clearly with this one, from top to bottom. I'm still unsure what I smell in the top notes (the combination is a bit overwhelming), but the dry down is very fast and the bottom notes are intense. I would describe this as a very linear scent. Contrary to the other reviews, this one comes across as very warm to me. Almost like a still-burning pile of coals sprinkled with Indian oil. The first time I smelled it (on paper), I loved it, but on my skin, it's just too bold and not mysterious at all. In fact, every time I smelled it, I got a rush of light-headedness and almost passed out! The strongest notes, for me, are the sandalwood & patchouli, but they are not elegantly used as in some other fragrances. As I sit here and sniff my arm, I am still getting a light-headed rush every time. It feels like every sniff pops a blood vessel in my brain.

I would put this one alongside YSL's Kuoros in the way too in-your-face-spicy category (and Kuoros is even more in-your-face than this one). Even though I love eastern scents, this one smells a bit like a common bottle of essential oil from India.

I'm giving this a neutral rating because I'm saving my thumbs-downs for the "fake-sophistication" fragrances that I smell on preps after I run them down with my car.

01st April, 2010

mrcologneguy's avatar

One of my top "ready for business" fragrances. Beautifully balanced, slightly spicy, a bit green/fresh, a touch of mint. The "fresh" summer version of Pasha plays up the mint even more, and it is indeed a treat for warm weather wear. I have had many, many compliments for wearing both original and summer-version Pasha. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a sophisticated, masculine, clean scent. A consistent go-to fragrance for day and evening when the dress code is business or dressy.

29 January, 2010

thatsmr2usir's avatar

O my....... I was not pleased at all when I smelled this mess! It was strong, and over bearing! And I did not care for the dry down either. This is more suited for an older person. 40+

13 December, 2009

trojanhorse's avatar

Germany Germany

I just love this refined, elegant, mature style so typical of Cartier! This one is very warm and generous, very full-bodied and elegant with precious resins, spices and woods. Marvellous!

14 November, 2009

Paninaro's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Truly a masterpiece of oriental scents! So warm, yet so refreshing and minty!

As we all know - ladies usually love tales of oriental princes. This fragrance is an oriental prince in the bottle. Much more erotic scent than dozens of uber-masculine aggresive liquids. If you are inviting a lady to a home made dinner – make no mistake, wear Pasha. If you are sure that she will wake up in your appartment – take out all other bottles from your bathroom (she will surely check out what was so good in the air last evening).

I will always be regretting why, oh why, they never made an EdP version... Projection is gone in an hour, longevity is slightly better, but wait a second! If you do wear for special purposes (as I mentioned before) – it is one of the best frags in the world.

13 October, 2009

rodent's avatar

France France

As others have noted, this fragrance from 1992 with its soul in 1985 really is astonishingly close (practically a copy) of Van Cleef's Tsar -- perhaps a tad mintier and a tad less smoky. The similarities in the branding (Arabian royalty vs Russian royalty) make the closeness even eerier. This is as close to Tsar as the Concorde is to the Tupolev TU-144 - the same basic ingredients and design, configured ever so slightly differently. And, again, the Soviets got there first.

24 July, 2009

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

What a fabulous scent! It's a mere perfect fragrance... full bodied, perfectly balanced, deep, complex, sophisticated yet very sensual. Give me a fragrance with lavender and sandalwood and I'll instantly become addicted. My favourite Cartier, this is one of the very few designer fragrances that totally worth the money.

10th July, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

This is an extremely likeable fragrance, very eager to please in the opening stages, and has an exquisite drydown. There is a very fresh seam running through the opening, courtesy of an excellent balance of mint and lavender. The drydown has a hollow timber quality, with slight herbaceous traces still discernable. This is a very well formulated Oriental that delights from application to expiry.

30th March, 2009

shamu1's avatar

I hate fragrances like this: they're often referred to as "classic British masculines" and have a blaring sweet-floral-musk combinatiion that you could just picture some stuffed-shirt dandy wearing. It reminds me of all those awful loud masculine fragrances by Floris. Although I can't say it smells cheap, it just smells way too old-fashioned, and not in a good way (I'm a huge fan of classic fragrances). Smells almost exactly like Safari for Men, which is an awful fougere fragrance, but louder.

07 March, 2009

lex's avatar

classy ,mature,masculine,and spicy fresh. not overpowering. well made. slightly old school

22 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

rhodes22's avatar

Nice staying power and cools to a lower intensity - burns intense at first

07 December, 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Elegant India. Or maybe middle to far east region in general, but the most important thing is that Pasha is elegant. I get the most refined Drakkar Noir type scent...so even waaay better then Gucci Nobile. Very clean as opposed to DN's virile dirty, then the mint comes in to take your breath away. Exotic and nice.

20th September, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

For a more mature crowd. Mint and l;avender. An herbal aromatic. Nice but not for me.

29 June, 2008

HDS1963's avatar

Mint, Thyme, Lavender, Mandarin..

Middle Notes
    Golden Alyssum, Rosewood, Coriander..

Base Notes
    Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Patchouli.

I don't understand the negative reviews here at all. This is a wonderful fragrance. Fresh and distinguished in the opening with the mint just cutting in above the thyme and lavender sweetened with mandarin.
    Then the spice of the coriander takes over adding a really sexy muskiness to the scent.

The coriander never really leaves with this one, which is why it has a slightly animalic quality to it, yet the fragrance remains slightly sweet on the skin.

I think this is possibly one of the sexiest male fragrances out there - certainly women love to smell you when you are wearing this.

I love it - a thumbs up seems rather too little for this one.

This is not a young man's fragrance, 30+ I would say.

25 May, 2008