Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

Positive Reviews of Patchouli by Molinard

While I could concoct a few paragraphs to introduce and set the stage for my appraisal of Molinard's Patchouli (don't believe me? Read my other reviews), I actually think it best to keep this one brief and to the point--just like this perfume. I have a complicated relationship with patchouli; sometimes I'm a total phobe (I blame overexposure after years and years in the hippie capitals of Austin and San Francisco), sometimes I'm patch-curious, and sometimes--as in right now--I'm mad for the stuff. My folie a patch stems from the fact that I get migraines, and they are frequent and usually crippling. For some reason that I don't completely understand, patchouli works wonders on the pain and all its accompanying symptoms--nausea, disorientation, praying for death--and, moreover, when I'm in the middle of a serious migraine, I become unusually fond of the dirty/swampy/mossy aspects of patchouli that make the less refined versions mostly a no-go for me. I have no idea why this works--it's more than aromatherapy, because it's a very specific answer to a very specific problem.

So I'm writing this review from the depths of a migraine hole, and I'm wearing a generous coating of Molinard Patchouli. As implied above, I've tried more refined patchoulis that minimize or completely excise the dirty bits that conjure images of pond scum, tree moss, and other funky green stuff; I also love rose/patch combinations of all kinds because I'm a rose ho and that's just how I roll. But when I'm visited by the Migraine Fairy, I need cooling but pungent aromatics--menthol, camphor, mint, ginger and yes, patchouli. Something about all of these these smells pulls me out of the dark pit, and in the right doses they can begin to break up the solid ball of pain that parks behind my eyes, sometimes just enough to get a little relief before the curtain comes down again, and sometimes so effectively that I can return to the land of the living.

Molinard's patchouli fits right in the pocket--no distracting elements of powder, vanilla, rose, or much else seem to be in the mix here. I don't notice any citrus in the opening of my EdT, but I do get a giant blast of alcohol that's probably not intentional, but which works for my own quasi-medicinal uses. After that, something slightly floral seems to bloom out before an undressed green patchoui barrels on through, with plenty of eau de headshop along for the ride. Neverthesless, it's a more carefully calibrated wear than essential oil--it turns cool and dry as it develops, and it sits lightly on the skin and keeps its sillage mostly to itself. Is there amber in the drydown? Maybe something warm and still funky is anchoring this, but I usually reapply (or I am granted the mercy of a nap) before the drydown really kicks in.

I have the EdT version of this--the one that comes in the cheap bottle with sloped shoulders that I think Molinard is trying to phase out. I haven't tried the EdP, so I can't speak to its relative strength or value-added features. It appears that Molinard is trying a bit of repositioning with the new nichey packaging and the patch-vanilla options and whatnot, and that's great for them. I only hope they keep making this version, because it's more than just perfume to me--it's a medical necessity, especially at its price point. The only patch I've found that hits on the same cylinders is Farmacia Ss Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano, which is similarly straight-no-chaser. albeit more dense and commesurately expensive. I would love to have both, and I probably will at some point. But if you want a true patchouli perfume, without any bells and whistles, Molinard's uplifting little perfume delivers.
02nd May, 2018
I really like this. My GF came home from work and thought I had been burning incense.
15th October, 2012
I never trust note lists - to me, Patchouli is a proper green chypre, heavy on the patchouli. The top pairs some bright lavender with dated-smelling bergamot and a lifting sensation that might be aldehydes. But the star of the show comes soon after, a perfect patch-heavy chypre base, redolent and green with galbanum and moss bringing out the grassy feel of the patchouli as opposed to the stereotypical smelly-hippie qualities most people think of when they imagine patchouli.

The closest thing I can compare Patchouli to is Tom Ford's now-legendary Moss Breches, with its extremely green patchouli under a bright top, though Molinard's old-fashioned bergamot makes theirs smell a bit more dated (but in a good way, to aficionados). A strong thumbs up, but I'd still wear Moss Breches before this one. That being said, Molinard Patchouli is still available and about 100 times less expensive...
28th April, 2012

Perfect! I wanna full bottle NOW! This is a full bodied patchouli scent, powdery and slightly sweetened, slightly astringent to my nose. Naturally smoky and "incensy" while not overly "head-shoppy" or "dirty" as critics describe other patchouli scents. The perfect balance between dusty and sweet, somewhat along the lines of Bal a Versailles (though sweeter and more pleasant, and course, lots of patchouli.)

Good luck finding anything this good at your local head shop! This is a proper fragrance right here, and I love it. :)
01st March, 2012
bFlay Show all reviews
This is easily in my top 3 favorite fragrances! Deep smoky, woodsy, incense notes that are phenomenally married in this formulation that is warm and masculine. This is a perfect anytime / anywhere fragrance suitable to day or evening, casual or formal wear. Top notes are pungent smoke and incense that mellows within 30 minutes and becomes sweeter. Delightful all around but with an only fair longevity of approx 4-5 hrs. Definitely worth the price and effort for it's inviting and unique qualities!
02nd December, 2011

An excellent patchouli, very dark, a bit orangy because of its neroli accord and dusty because of the combination of some spices and amber. It tends to become a bit powdery and smooth because of the insertion of a touch of vanilla in the base but the fragrance keeps to smell substantially dry and dusty-incensey with a patchouli backbone rooted on a woody-musky base. The astringent geranium enhances the severe, almost liturgical (as already written) temperament of the scent  keeping moderate the level of sweetness. Longevity and sillage are in the average.
27th August, 2011
Thought I'd reviewed this but is seems not.

OK, so, as the name suggests.....PATCHOULI!!!!! Molinard list the Pyramid as

Neroli, Orange, Geranium
Patchouli
Musc, Santal, Vanilla

I would hazard a guess you will be hard pushed to pick most of those notes out however. I believe their real purpose is just to take the edge of the heaviness of the main ingredient to make it palatable. This is heavy, moody stuff but in a proud, wafting sort of way. Rest assured, it does waft! It also makes you appreciate something like Givenchy Gentleman which I've never really liked but having worn the Molinard, I can understand the Givenchy better.

I rather like this though I can't comment about head shops and such. I do my shopping online. After all, why have a Dog and bark yourself?

If you're a Patchouli nut, you can't go wrong with this, it positively reeks of it. I would say though, as a personal preference, it's a very warm fragrance and probably better suited to cold weather. A bit like a good Brandy warms the throat, the Molinard has a warming effect...if that makes any sense.

Spray, be proud and enjoy!
24th May, 2011
This is an excellent patchouli. It doesn't smell like head shop patchouli straight up. There is an ever so slight bit of sweetening that has been done while keeping it a single note scent. Another winner from Molinard, my favorite single note house hands down.
03rd March, 2010
shamu1 Show all reviews
Molinard has created a very good, straightforward patchouli here that should appeal to all patchouli lovers, male or female. It is very dark, smoky and powdery, smelling almost like burning incense, almost liturgical. The patchouli note is not suppressed at all in this fragrance – if you hate patchouli, you will despise this fragrance. However, I can smell other notes in the mix here, with a touch of amber in the base to take the edge off the raw patchouli oil and to enhance its smokiness, as well as some light floral note(s) to give it the powderiness. This is not the raw, sharp and aggressive patchouli as in Caswell-Massey’s excellent Aura of Patchouli, but rather a warm and rich patchouli scent.

I get very good longevity out of this – about eight hours on my skin. Radiance is quite high for the first hour, but it mellows out and becomes a “skin scent” after that. Although apparently some people use this to layer with other fragrances, I find this to be complex and interesting enough to wear by itself. That’s how I wear it.

A word of caution to potential buyers: if you don’t like “hippie” or head shop-style patchouli, then Molinard’s patchouli is not for you. Molinard’s Patchouli is definitely the kind of scent that your average person thinks of when he or she thinks of patchouli and its association with hippies and head shops. On the other hand, if you have no such hang-ups, I would recommend this fragrance highly
06th January, 2010
natacha Show all reviews
For many years, I hated patchouli, and still dislike it in some gourmand forms (as in Angel, for example). Molinard's rendition is quite linear, with a faint scent of dark (bitter) chocolate. I find it comforting and enjoy wearing. But I enjoy even more getting a whiff of it on a scarf several days after having worn it. I can then get the earthy side of patchouli, the side that made me like patchouli. Overall, a nice fragrance that I would recommend to patchouli newcomers.
11th September, 2009
Pleasant, not too pungent, very wearable.
02nd January, 2005