Positive Reviews of Patchouli by Molinard

Find out more about Patchouli by Molinard in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Old Werewolf's avatar

I really like this. My GF came home from work and thought I had been burning incense.

15 October, 2012

rogalal's avatar

I never trust note lists - to me, Patchouli is a proper green chypre, heavy on the patchouli. The top pairs some bright lavender with dated-smelling bergamot and a lifting sensation that might be aldehydes. But the star of the show comes soon after, a perfect patch-heavy chypre base, redolent and green with galbanum and moss bringing out the grassy feel of the patchouli as opposed to the stereotypical smelly-hippie qualities most people think of when they imagine patchouli.

The closest thing I can compare Patchouli to is Tom Ford's now-legendary Moss Breches, with its extremely green patchouli under a bright top, though Molinard's old-fashioned bergamot makes theirs smell a bit more dated (but in a good way, to aficionados). A strong thumbs up, but I'd still wear Moss Breches before this one. That being said, Molinard Patchouli is still available and about 100 times less expensive...

28 April, 2012

misscasey's avatar

Perfect! I wanna full bottle NOW! This is a full bodied patchouli scent, powdery and slightly sweetened, slightly astringent to my nose. Naturally smoky and "incensy" while not overly "head-shoppy" or "dirty" as critics describe other patchouli scents. The perfect balance between dusty and sweet, somewhat along the lines of Bal a Versailles (though sweeter and more pleasant, and course, lots of patchouli.)

Good luck finding anything this good at your local head shop! This is a proper fragrance right here, and I love it. :)

01st March, 2012

bFlay's avatar

This is easily in my top 3 favorite fragrances! Deep smoky, woodsy, incense notes that are phenomenally married in this formulation that is warm and masculine. This is a perfect anytime / anywhere fragrance suitable to day or evening, casual or formal wear. Top notes are pungent smoke and incense that mellows within 30 minutes and becomes sweeter. Delightful all around but with an only fair longevity of approx 4-5 hrs. Definitely worth the price and effort for it's inviting and unique qualities!

02 December, 2011

Darvant's avatar

An excellent patchouli, very dark, a bit orangy because of its neroli accord and dusty because of the combination of some spices and amber. It tends to become a bit powdery and smooth because of the insertion of a touch of vanilla in the base but the fragrance keeps to smell substantially dry and dusty-incensey with a patchouli backbone rooted on a woody-musky base. The astringent geranium enhances the severe, almost liturgical (as already written) temperament of the scent  keeping moderate the level of sweetness. Longevity and sillage are in the average.

27 August, 2011

carlos-uk's avatar

Thought I'd reviewed this but is seems not.

OK, so, as the name suggests.....PATCHOULI!!!!! Molinard list the Pyramid as

Neroli, Orange, Geranium
    Patchouli
    Musc, Santal, Vanilla

I would hazard a guess you will be hard pushed to pick most of those notes out however. I believe their real purpose is just to take the edge of the heaviness of the main ingredient to make it palatable. This is heavy, moody stuff but in a proud, wafting sort of way. Rest assured, it does waft! It also makes you appreciate something like Givenchy Gentleman which I've never really liked but having worn the Molinard, I can understand the Givenchy better.

I rather like this though I can't comment about head shops and such. I do my shopping online. After all, why have a Dog and bark yourself?

If you're a Patchouli nut, you can't go wrong with this, it positively reeks of it. I would say though, as a personal preference, it's a very warm fragrance and probably better suited to cold weather. A bit like a good Brandy warms the throat, the Molinard has a warming effect...if that makes any sense.

Spray, be proud and enjoy!

24 May, 2011

mrclmind's avatar

This is an excellent patchouli. It doesn't smell like head shop patchouli straight up. There is an ever so slight bit of sweetening that has been done while keeping it a single note scent. Another winner from Molinard, my favorite single note house hands down.

03 March, 2010

shamu1's avatar

Molinard has created a very good, straightforward patchouli here that should appeal to all patchouli lovers, male or female. It is very dark, smoky and powdery, smelling almost like burning incense, almost liturgical. The patchouli note is not suppressed at all in this fragrance – if you hate patchouli, you will despise this fragrance. However, I can smell other notes in the mix here, with a touch of amber in the base to take the edge off the raw patchouli oil and to enhance its smokiness, as well as some light floral note(s) to give it the powderiness. This is not the raw, sharp and aggressive patchouli as in Caswell-Massey’s excellent Aura of Patchouli, but rather a warm and rich patchouli scent.

I get very good longevity out of this – about eight hours on my skin. Radiance is quite high for the first hour, but it mellows out and becomes a “skin scent” after that. Although apparently some people use this to layer with other fragrances, I find this to be complex and interesting enough to wear by itself. That’s how I wear it.

A word of caution to potential buyers: if you don’t like “hippie” or head shop-style patchouli, then Molinard’s patchouli is not for you. Molinard’s Patchouli is definitely the kind of scent that your average person thinks of when he or she thinks of patchouli and its association with hippies and head shops. On the other hand, if you have no such hang-ups, I would recommend this fragrance highly

06 January, 2010

natacha's avatar

For many years, I hated patchouli, and still dislike it in some gourmand forms (as in Angel, for example). Molinard's rendition is quite linear, with a faint scent of dark (bitter) chocolate. I find it comforting and enjoy wearing. But I enjoy even more getting a whiff of it on a scarf several days after having worn it. I can then get the earthy side of patchouli, the side that made me like patchouli. Overall, a nice fragrance that I would recommend to patchouli newcomers.

11th September, 2009

caribou55313's avatar

Pleasant, not too pungent, very wearable.

02 January, 2005