Reviews of Pi by Givenchy

Find out more about Pi by Givenchy in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Pi may well represent the nadir of sickeningly sweet masculine gourmand orientals. Even if you despise A*Men, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Rochas Man, and their ilk, you have to credit them with a degree of intricacy – sometimes to excess – in their structures. Not so Pi. It’s just unrelentingly sweet artificial vanilla extract and talcum powder, in a combination that manages by some perverse miracle to be at once bland and grating. I suppose there must be art in that, but surely it’s art too diabolical to pursue further. Especially disappointing coming from Givenchy, which could once be relied upon to deliver scents like Monsieur de Givenchy, Vetyver, and Insensé.

23 June, 2014

btkoten's avatar

I used to love Pi, it smelled like a rich caramel with a little bit of woods in the background and would pop in with a vanilla / macadamia nut rush when my body temperature rose. Not a summer scent but great for warmer fall winter and spring days. However, since the 2012 reformulation this is absolute trash. It smells like maple syrup mixed with vodka I can't stand it. Recent sold off my reformulated bottle and am scouring that one auction site to find an older bottle. "When great scents go bad" could be an interesting blog here on basenotes.

24 December, 2013

reinhard5490's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Unique Gourmand

The first thing that came to my mind upon smelling the sprayer was, 'caramel', and since I'm not too fond for sweet scents, I almost instantly turn down the offer of this one, but my friend said that I better give it a shot first - nothing can go wrong by testing it first anyway; so he brought me a bottle of his Pi - handsome bottle, could be a nice addition in anyone's wardrobe.

My first impression is - this fragrance have great projection and staying power, please note... the opening doesn't excite me at all - it's just a blast of rosemary and sweet citrus with hint of almond and vanilla in the background - only for a few minutes. Soon enough the vanilla, almond, benzoin, bit of woods and caramel (all sweets in this world, in short) start to take over the lead and makes this fragrance into one sweet fragrance that we possibly never smell it before - or after; simply a masterpiece. Super sexy and draws a lot of compliments, especially from women (does that tickle you, boy?) but I found that most people found this, 'old fashioned' and refused to wear this; simply because a men need something smoky, leathery, rubbery to be called a man, refusing to acknowledge that there's another world out there that do radiate sexiness - world of Pi

score : a solid ?????

Pros: almost all aspects
    Cons: hard to wear in humid weather; increasingly rare"

20th October, 2013

stefly321's avatar

review by stefly321

I find this has an almond/marzipan sort of aroma. Not really my thing anymore. It only gets cloying if its over applied. Just 2/3 sprays on the chest would suffice. Anymore and it becomes offensive!

26 July, 2013

Oldspice's avatar

Feminine vanilla

Amber and feminine vanilla. Loud, heavy, sickly sweet. Not a fan of this.

25 June, 2013

martinijo's avatar

England England

I wrote this off as just a heavy sickly sweet coconut mess when I tried it a year or so ago.
    I've changed my mind after trying it again. I think its a good blend, better than average for this kind of gourmand and I can imagine it being good as a cold weather comfort scent as Voodoodanny suggested.

14 May, 2013

tiger wood's avatar

great contents and originality. drfinately masculine. very distinctive citrus/vanilla based frag that lasts a great while. one of the better designer orientals on the market..

04 April, 2013

Red King's avatar

Pi – Givenchy

I actually enjoyed the beginning very much. It gives me a light clean sweetness with amber, almond and slight vanilla-woodiness. However, as the time goes on, the amber-almond-vanilla accord gets more and more intense and Pi just gets sweet and sweeter.

Two hours in all I get is this dense sweetness, smells like a great vanilla almond shampoo.

If you have a sweet tooth and want to try something that isn't cotton candy sweet or gourmand sweet, get a sample of Pi. For me this is just too much, might be something for a freezing winters.

29 March, 2013

mtheory8's avatar

eh... way too sweet and sugary. I like sweet fragrances in general but then the burnt sugar with the honey added on top of the vanilla makes it way too much. I think if was tone down a little I may enjoy it more but all the sugar sweet gives me a sweet tooth everytime I wear it. Not horrible but no thumbs up for me. Test before you buy unless you know you LOVE all things sweet.

28 March, 2013

jcw122's avatar

Like everyone else is saying, it's a vanilla based fragrance. I think it smells great but honestly doesn't bring much to the table. I also got very poor longevity.

17 January, 2013

's avatar

Givenchy PI was my signature scent for over an year when it was launched. It's delicious, for sure. It's a well balanced vanilla composition that's not cloying. It's actually warm and comforting. Well, i guess it's time to buy it again. Thumbs up!

04 January, 2013

voodoodanny's avatar

Soft, warm vanilla and almond. Very sweet, rich and eminently gourmand. I like this stuff a little more each time I smell it. It's my go to comfort scent for the cold weather.

03 January, 2013

androidi's avatar

Finland Finland

Pi tries to be different from other men's perfumes and ends up smelling like any cheap cologne mixed with a teenage girls' vanilla fragrance.

28 November, 2012

Quartz's avatar

Absolutely sickeningly sweet. Horrible stuff. I don't know what I was thinking when I made this purchase.

Da Virt's avatar

France France

A sweet and sensual fragrance. Very intimate which makes it intriguing. Completely timeless.
    For sophisticated and elegant gentlemen.

Chris1788's avatar

Nice Vanilla based fragrance. Starts off a bit powdery but is a lot smoother on the dry down.

I get about 6-8 hours on this with my skin, probably slightly above average projection.

Full marks for the bottle as well, one of the best in my collection.

sjg3839's avatar

Nice vanilla scent. Projection and Longevity are very good! Don't spray too much because this can be cloying. More geared towards a Fall and Winter scent.

31st October, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A great vanilla based fragrance with so pleasant smell and god damn beautiful and unique bottle.
    Start semi sweet with the main note of this fragrance, vanilla and some spicy or something like burned sugar vibe. maybe that's because of the almond note.
    The sweetness isn't too much, but it's there.
    In the mid the burned sugar vibe is almost gone and we have sweet vanilla surrounded with some woodsy notes but the woodsy notes are so weak in the background.
    This is the place where some guys may hate it because it has almost feminine vibe which I agree but it's not completely feminine.
    There is no floral notes but the simple sweet scent remind you of women fragrances.
    In the base we have creamy vanilla with coconut vibe which is really pleasant and sensual but it also could be linear and boring for some folks out there, but for me it's the best part of this fragrance which is so SEXY!!
    Yeah, I know, there is no coconut note in the note break down but it does have that coconut vibe! at least to my nose :)
    Good projection and great longevity.

03 August, 2012

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

This stuff is a joke! Baby power and women's makeup. Are they serious???

02 July, 2012

RobbieX's avatar

A gorgeous, smooth long lasting oriental vanilla. Great for Christmas time. The almond comes through well. If you like orientals - this is beautiful.

11th March, 2012

Zut's avatar

On me, Pi and One million by Paco Rabanne had the same disastrous effect. All the ingredients for a nice warm spicy amber-based fragrance were there but they turned really bad once they touched my skin. Pi has many notes I like in an EDT:

Top: Basil, rosemary, tarragon, mandarin
    Middle: Neroli, geranium, lily of the valley, anise
    Base: Vanilla, tonka, cedar, benzoin, almond, yellow sugar

The only note I really don't care for is anise but it is not what really disturbed me. The vanilla-tonka-benzoin base (all notes I adore) is much too loud and heavy. I had an instant headache as soon as I sprayed Pi on my wrist. I had to run to the men's room to wash it off. This happened to me over 10 years ago and I still feel a little nauseous whenever I smell Pi.

18 February, 2012

OnLyTNT's avatar

I got this from my sister as a gift and it was very disappointing :(. Powdery chemical sweetness. Longevity? 8 sprays and 2-3 hours later nothing left o_0, I found the bottom pretty quickly lol!!! Thumbs waaaay down...

13 February, 2012

rso6e's avatar

Pi is an 'okay' fragrance...almost too boring to be pleasant. It opens with a soft herbal note, which for a few moments turns into a sharp and unpleasant leather smell. No idea what is causing the leather smell since it's not listed as a note. Thankfully this only lasts a few minutes before Pi becomes a light, somewhat sweet floral. The drydown is very sweet and faintly powdery. It's not warm, just vanilla sweet and rather flat. Nothing in this fragrance really stands out. Moderate silage and longevity.

29 January, 2012

inlandemperor's avatar

If you like Vanilla / Creamy and smooth dry downs - get this. It may not be the best fragrance i a gourmand style 'caramel / sweet' category, but it delivers on longevity, delivers on vanilla (the benzoin crystals) and it opens (similiar to Aquolina's Blue Sugar) - with a fruity (the citrus note, I guess) - burst, more tangerine than citrus to my nose... I love scents such as Le Male (Yes I know it's done to death), Joop Homme, D&G's the One and A*Men - this is another fragrance in that area. If that sounds like your thing, then you will LOVE this.

24 January, 2012

SPC's avatar

Those reporting a "synthetic vanilla," I'm afraid I don't get that impression at all. There's benzoin, which provides a similar feeling, but no vanilla. As for 'synthetic' perhaps we're associating the smell of pine needles with pine-sol cleaning products? I went out today and pinched some needles off a tree and it was a clean, crips, aromatic almost biting smell. This frag is great!

10th November, 2011

FISS80's avatar

Very synthetic putrid vanilla fragrance. Opens with a dull, overly sweet, metallic vanilla smell that remains pretty much throughout the life of the fragrance. Even if you are a diehard vanilla lover there are a ton of other vanilla based fragrances that put this fragrance to shame. Terrible...

29 October, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

I'll start by saying that I'm the kind of girl that likes natural smells, particularly scents like tobacco, cedar, smoke and leather on her men. Occasionally I enjoy some sweet colognes, but it is very rare when I do.

Pi is a little too sweet in my opinion. To my nose, it smells like caramelised vanilla and musk.

I am somewhat disappointed seeming that so many women on the forum rave about this particular fragrance on their partners. I can appreciate the scent for what it is, but I can't say, from a female's perspective, that I find it very appealing.

It's almost gourmand in its approach. Perhaps it is a masculine version of Tocade by Rochas. Whatever it reminds me of, it makes a good choice for wear in the colder months due to its vanillary warmth.

I'm surprised to see its release date as being 1998, I would have thought it was a much more modern release, at least something brought about in the last few years. However I understand that the whole concept is supposed to be futuristic.

Pi is very much open to personal opinion. You'll either love it or hate it. I don't detest it, nor would I run from it, however I wouldn't run towards its wearer either

22 October, 2011

bFlay's avatar

Exceptionally sweet, cloying, persistent scent. Difficult not to interpret as feminine. I bought it because it was listed as being similar to another fragrance that was not available on an Internet site. I did not find it similar to my choice, I don't think the description Givenchy gives it is accurate either. I don't dislike it enough to dispose of it, but I wear it mostly when i'm not going anywhere special (or in close proximity to others I like!). I've also learned to apply it VERY sparingly at least 30 minutes before leaving the house to minimize the overwhelming fragrance which, even to those who like the scent, would be too strong for quite sometime after applying. This is one of the most pervasive colognes with the longest longevity I have ever encountered and, if that is appealing to you, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, be cautious proceeding with this one. It certainly makes a bold and specific statement, a narrow statement, about the wearer! [upon updating this review 6 weeks later, I must emphasize how feminine this fragrance is and it's exceptional projection far and wide! This is just plain HORRID!]

20th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Talc, almond and mint blended together, this is what Pi smells like.
    A traditional formula approached (though in different ways) by many houses ( The Dreamer, One
    Million, Midnight in Paris, some Gaultier's, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine  etc), a citrusy aromatic opening (terragon, rosemary and others) , and a woody-tobacco powdery milky final development. The key elements: greens aromatic, Gaiac wood, orange, tonka, benzoin-vanilla supported by other resinous elements. A touch of whiskey and an hint of chemical sparkling elements complete the work. The fragrance turns out powdery, milky and almost mentholated but with a notable undertone of almond (rise cream and eliotrope). Some anise and mint appear in the blend while a bunch of floral notes hardly provide sophistication to the powdery wake. I agree who with writes that the sweetness is not off-putting because it is temperated by a sort of bitter-almost salty-resinous-masculine undertone because of tobacco and resinous elements. I write what i've already written about fragrances carring out this formula: a decent  after shower to be worn in sostitution of deodorants in order to feel comforted  in the house or inside  your bed for a serene night of sleep, not a fair fragrance to go out after midnight with an aura of dark and natural  boldness or sophistication. Not my cup of tea but i disagree for sure who with talks about a chemically intoxicating DDT.

02 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2013)

Bodom_HC's avatar

Very sweet.
    Hit off the top with vanilla, and you can detect some of the citrus notes in the background, but that's all I get at the top. Then dries down to more of that vanilla smell. Stays pretty much the same.

I recommend trying some of this.

28 August, 2011