Reviews of Pi by Givenchy

In part this is an orange version of Le Mâle. (Actually it's closer to Fleur du Mâle even though this came first.)

Pine and tarragon attempt to lift the heavy, sickly balsamic sweetness but as these lighter notes fade it sinks more and more into an orangey vanillic blob.

Whenever I go into a service station toilet the smell of orange urinal screen reminds me of this. Pi's orange flower and honeyed balsamic elements - with their affinities to certain nether regions - would certainly make a good masking agent, and IF it were the case that Pi was a source of inspiration for the sanitiser smell this'd be a classic case of trickle down, from fine to functional, from Pi to pee.

However, all laughing and joking aside, this is so excessively 'nice' it's unpleasant, and without any redeeming edginess, it fails.

18th September, 2017 (last edited: 21st September, 2017)
I first smelled Pi in a magazine add which had the fragrance strip you peel open and rub your wrist on. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! This had to be THE best men's fragrance I had ever smelled. I just purchase two of the 5.0 ounce "oversize" bottles that Givenchy has released. The compliments never seem to cease when I wear Pi by Givenchy. It can be formal, yet it can also be your casual everyday go-to fragrance. I agree that this is best worn in the autumn and winter months, just as I wear Obsession for Men during that time of year. I also love to wear Aramis' Devin during the fall and early winter. I love that Devin is described as a "country" cologne and it has the lovely little French horn logo on the bottle! Sounds like something a wealthy gentleman would wear to dinner after a fox hunt in New England!
04th August, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The orange with the galbanum and the herbal undertone make a very pleasant opening, which is beefed up soon by a decent lashing of benzoin. Unlike in some other fragrances, where benzoin is often taking over and push other components aside, here it is skillfully applied such as not to overwhelm, but to blend in and enhance the whole - a rare feat indeed.

The heart notes add woodsy aromas on the sidelines, and see the emergence of the vanilla the dominates the the second half of the development on my skin. Towards the end pure vanilla remains, rich but quite refined and unobtrusive, fading out gracefully.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a magnificent thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

It would be easy to judge this wintery creation as another vanilla mix had it not been for the interesting and quite creative permutations of the accompanying accompaniments that were employed here. Interestingly, in this original version of Pi the vanilla is not more prominent than in the Fraîche flanker.

This is a rather synthetic blend but not too intrusively so, and in spite of some evident generic touches it is overall quite interesting and performs excellently on me. Just making it into the thumbs-up realm. 3/5.
10th April, 2017

Givenchy Pi uuummmmm, what can I say this was one of my first frags ever bought for myself, this blood orange, vanilla, benzoin beast this beautiful beautiful beast. Great and best in cooler weather. Unfortunately I don't get a chance to wear my Pi often because I live in FL, I only get about 2 months of wear but anytime I get a chance I reach for it. This is a cool weather 5 out of 5
13th January, 2017
Recived this as a gift because i enjoyed a diffrent givenchy cologne. This is like a vanilla bomb my ex gf used to use this like fabreeze around the house i HATED it over whelming vanilla that never went away.
02nd January, 2017
After seeing it reviewed a couple of times on youtube and while sampling other fragrances, my knees buckled when I first smelled Givenchy Pi. For as long as I had seen that odd looking bottle adorned with the mathematical symbol "Pi," I had never once thought of putting my nose to it. What an error in judgment. Givenchy Pi is a warm bath of caramel, cocoa, and vanilla that simply smells divine. Immediately I could imagine so many scenarios when this gem would be perfect. And I couldn't help but wonder, why it took me so long to discover it? Whatever the reason, I filled the obvious hole in my collection with all haste.

I haven't worn Givenchy Pi sufficiently yet to intelligently assess its projection and longevity, but I can rate its smell.

Smell 10/10.

More to come.

22nd December, 2016
Never ceased to enjoy this arguably legendary (and controversial) scent from Givenchy. Ever since I'd discovered it over a decade ago, Pi has hypnotized me with its blend of sweet, powdery, vanilla quality that lasts a long time. (What is iron wood, though? No idea. ;^>) Elicits compliments, and keeps me relaxed all day long. Its now discontinued flanker, Pi Fresh, is better for warmer weather, as that is a bit more toned down and has a citrus, fresh element thrown into it; good luck finding that one, thought!! The Extreme version is a nice intensification of this one, though it doesn't seem to last as long. Go Givenchy go!! ;^>
09th December, 2016
My wife purchased for me, I found it cloying and it made feel a "Dandy" One day it tipped into the box for Charity Bazaar. It was never seen again.
Has that ever happened to You?
04th September, 2016 (last edited: 11th April, 2017)
Givenchy Pi is probably my favorite cologne of all. It has a mild vanilla and powder fragrance. Also has other mild masculine notes. I would say this could be a unisex fragrance for the right people.
04th September, 2016
*note: this is a review of the 2012 reformulation.

I will give this fragrance a neutral rating because it smells phenomenal, but has some serious performances issues. It smells great. Very sweet, like almond and vanilla with a licorice undertone, it's a very nice scent. But, longevity on this fragrance is horrible. Lasts about 2-3 hours on my skin. And it sits pretty close to the skin after half an hour, no nobody will be able to smell you when you wear this.

Rating: 6/10
Scent: 9/10
Uniqueness: 9/10
Longevity: 2/10
Projection: 2/10
18th December, 2015 (last edited: 20th December, 2015)
Love this! On my 4th bottle maybe? Might need counselling when they discontinue it! Smells for a long enough time. Gets compliments from women all the time. Might not be good for summer 'cause it is a sugary scent. I like it best in winter, just due to how I associate the scents(sweet, vanilla, sugar). Swear it smells like baby powder too.
11th July, 2015
Tried this for 3 days now with samples and shop sprays. Here are my (amateur) thoughts:
A sweet, warm, delicious and sexy smell, I liked it. Reminds me of sleepily snuggling up to someone and breathing in the scent of warm skin. The effect is so sensuous I think I'd prefer to smell it on someone else. I detect vanilla and almonds, other things too I can't name yet, but definitely something edible. My partner said I smell like cake :). I think that's good..... I'm having a weird experience with the longevity: after spraying it seems to fade quickly, but then returns! And weirdly the scent that returns is very similar to the start. To my mind it would smell great on men and women. In the end I bought it, still like it very much, but by the time it arrived I realised it wasn't me. Much as I'd like to be, I'm not a sweet, warm and delicious kind of guy. So I've given it away. Therefore a "neutral" thumb for me :)
25th June, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
Pi is so aptly named--not because of the mathematical figure (no idea where that is meant to come into this) but because it is as sweet and rich and gourmand as a piece of pie. Yes, there are woods and herbs to balance the huge dose of sweet vanilla but for me, it still smells too gourmand for my taste. I love to smell (good) foods, but not to smell of them. I may have missed something, but Givenchy strikes me as a house known for green chypre florals unlike Guerlain, say, which is known for its masterful handling of sweet gourmands. All that said, Pi does smell really good--and surprisingly masculine--if sweet gourmands are your thing.
02nd June, 2015

Wow this fragrance is great! I got a bottle from my father when I graduated high school and recently picked up another one about a month ago and that smell brought me back! Definitely a casual winter sent
27th May, 2015
Salutation.

I am not a big fan of Givenchy but PI is another story.a rich spicy,vanilla oriental with strong woods for the romantic moments in your life.as almond and vanilla are feminine ingredients so this is not absoloutely masculine simply unisex.Sensuous,Delicious,Vanillic,Magnetic,Woody, Sensual,Soft yet Spicy in a Classic Way.

The vanilla is abosloutely most dominant note that perfectly blend with almond,tonka bean,benzoin and cedar for a gorgeous balance of sensuality and maturity.this scent nighttime,winter,business casual dress,sophisticated, flirty demeanour.when you wear it,you are always getteing complimentsmostly from women and they ask you what are you wearing cause they want to buy it for their husband or boyfriend.

Sillage?Admirable.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

24th May, 2015 (last edited: 01st January, 2016)
Pi by Givenchy is not an easy fragrance whatsoever, and as such it's not a safe blind buy; that's why I strongly suggest trying before you decide to get a full bottle. That said, I like it, and I think it's highly addictive!

The juice opens up with herbal accords and mandarin orange, which make you think of a very sugary lemonade. As herbs begin to subside, you're left with a savory mandarin orange, benzoin, vanilla, sugar, and tonka cocktail resembling a very sweet dessert with a touch of flowers.

Pi Givenchy sports good longevity and sillage, as well as moderate to high projection. The aroma is indeed very special, but be careful not to overspray it, especially in the heat,...or else! It is much more pleasant and less sweet than Jaïpur Homme, thus representing a more versatile and less age-restrictive alternative for a date or other events.

Bottom line: I have mixed emotions about this Alberto Morillas's fragrance--I mean, at times I find it too sweet and leaning more on the feminine side and, at other times, I think it's absolutely delighful and captivating. In any case, it is more a "Yes" than it is a "No."

Score:
Fragrance: 9/10
Longevity: 9/10
Projection: 8/10
Sillage: 8/10
Value for money: 9/10
Average: 8.6/10
14th April, 2015 (last edited: 06th September, 2017)
A true 90's scent that is still relevant to this day. I remember 1st smelling this scent when I was a young kid around 10. I remember getting some samples of this at wal-mart of all places. Forgot about this scent for a long time and rediscovered it when I seen it on sale.

Notes from my amateur nose

Sickle Vanilla
Gourmand
Fine wood

Great longevity, between 6-8 hours.

Projection is Great but you MUST keep this to 2-Spray max, anymore than that and this can get over-whelming.

Def get alot of compliments from women while wearing Pi. Can be worn all seasons but I find it really shines in the fall & winter seasons. Will always keep this in my top 10 go to colognes. A true 90's classic mens cologne
27th November, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Pi may well represent the nadir of sickeningly sweet masculine gourmand orientals. Even if you despise A*Men, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Rochas Man, and their ilk, you have to credit them with a degree of intricacy – sometimes to excess – in their structures. Not so Pi. It’s just unrelentingly sweet artificial vanilla extract and talcum powder, in a combination that manages by some perverse miracle to be at once bland and grating. I suppose there must be art in that, but surely it’s art too diabolical to pursue further. Especially disappointing coming from Givenchy, which could once be relied upon to deliver scents like Monsieur de Givenchy, Vetyver, and Insensé.
23rd June, 2014
I used to love Pi, it smelled like a rich caramel with a little bit of woods in the background and would pop in with a vanilla / macadamia nut rush when my body temperature rose. Not a summer scent but great for warmer fall winter and spring days. However, since the 2012 reformulation this is absolute trash. It smells like maple syrup mixed with vodka I can't stand it. Recent sold off my reformulated bottle and am scouring that one auction site to find an older bottle. "When great scents go bad" could be an interesting blog here on basenotes.
24th December, 2013
Unique Gourmand

The first thing that came to my mind upon smelling the sprayer was, 'caramel', and since I'm not too fond for sweet scents, I almost instantly turn down the offer of this one, but my friend said that I better give it a shot first - nothing can go wrong by testing it first anyway; so he brought me a bottle of his Pi - handsome bottle, could be a nice addition in anyone's wardrobe.

My first impression is - this fragrance have great projection and staying power, please note... the opening doesn't excite me at all - it's just a blast of rosemary and sweet citrus with hint of almond and vanilla in the background - only for a few minutes. Soon enough the vanilla, almond, benzoin, bit of woods and caramel (all sweets in this world, in short) start to take over the lead and makes this fragrance into one sweet fragrance that we possibly never smell it before - or after; simply a masterpiece. Super sexy and draws a lot of compliments, especially from women (does that tickle you, boy?) but I found that most people found this, 'old fashioned' and refused to wear this; simply because a men need something smoky, leathery, rubbery to be called a man, refusing to acknowledge that there's another world out there that do radiate sexiness - world of Pi

score : a solid ?????

Pros: almost all aspects
Cons: hard to wear in humid weather; increasingly rare"

20th October, 2013
review by stefly321

I find this has an almond/marzipan sort of aroma. Not really my thing anymore. It only gets cloying if its over applied. Just 2/3 sprays on the chest would suffice. Anymore and it becomes offensive!

26th July, 2013
I wrote this off as just a heavy sickly sweet coconut mess when I tried it a year or so ago.
I've changed my mind after trying it again. I think its a good blend, better than average for this kind of gourmand and I can imagine it being good as a cold weather comfort scent as Voodoodanny suggested.
14th May, 2013
great contents and originality. drfinately masculine. very distinctive citrus/vanilla based frag that lasts a great while. one of the better designer orientals on the market..
04th April, 2013
Pi – Givenchy

I actually enjoyed the beginning very much. It gives me a light clean sweetness with amber, almond and slight vanilla-woodiness. However, as the time goes on, the amber-almond-vanilla accord gets more and more intense and Pi just gets sweet and sweeter.

Two hours in all I get is this dense sweetness, smells like a great vanilla almond shampoo.

If you have a sweet tooth and want to try something that isn't cotton candy sweet or gourmand sweet, get a sample of Pi. For me this is just too much, might be something for a freezing winters.
29th March, 2013
eh... way too sweet and sugary. I like sweet fragrances in general but then the burnt sugar with the honey added on top of the vanilla makes it way too much. I think if was tone down a little I may enjoy it more but all the sugar sweet gives me a sweet tooth everytime I wear it. Not horrible but no thumbs up for me. Test before you buy unless you know you LOVE all things sweet.
28th March, 2013
jcw122 Show all reviews
Like everyone else is saying, it's a vanilla based fragrance. I think it smells great but honestly doesn't bring much to the table. I also got very poor longevity.
17th January, 2013
Givenchy PI was my signature scent for over an year when it was launched. It's delicious, for sure. It's a well balanced vanilla composition that's not cloying. It's actually warm and comforting. Well, i guess it's time to buy it again. Thumbs up!
04th January, 2013
Soft, warm vanilla and almond. Very sweet, rich and eminently gourmand. I like this stuff a little more each time I smell it. It's my go to comfort scent for the cold weather.
03rd January, 2013
Pi tries to be different from other men's perfumes and ends up smelling like any cheap cologne mixed with a teenage girls' vanilla fragrance.
28th November, 2012
Quartz Show all reviews
Absolutely sickeningly sweet. Horrible stuff. I don't know what I was thinking when I made this purchase.
27th November, 2012