Reviews of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

'Pour Monsieur' by Pierre Cardin, what a classic. I've been familiar with this old school fragrance for over 20 years, and can instantly recognize it whenever I get a whiff of it.

The initial notes of powder, musk, a touch of greens and leather mixed with spices and a very mild dash of citrus is very complex and somewhat intense.

Within an hour it settles in a adds leather and a bit of tobacco and more musk, and this drydown smells amazing, a powdery barbershop classic smell. It may be a bit dated by todays 'aquatic' and 'sport' soapy body wash scents, but its incredible and very unique the way a fragrance should be.

The base is all musk, leather and powder, and this carries and lingers very well. Projection is actually really decent for this, but being a Eau De Cologne, it suffers from short longevity (4-5 hours).

You will need to reapply to get a full day out of this one, or at the super cheap price just buy the 8oz bottle and apply liberally to your clothes and everywhere and you'll get a good 6+ hours out of it.

I'll be searching for vintage EDT versions to get more sillage and longevity, but until then I'm loving this classic and bringing it out every now and then. My lady actually loves this smell on me better than Aramis or Havana which was quite a surprise to me since those are much more potent and expensive.

For an old school, 70's-80's powerhouse fragrance lover, this stuff is and should be an essential part of your collection.
05th August, 2016
One of the first scents I ever owned and I would say that back in the day it was very popular and I did enjoy it... Old school citrus opening with a classic 70's dry down.. I would say that now it is very dated and unless you are into the scent you should make sure you try before you buy.
14th June, 2016
This was the signature of my best friend in the early 70's. It smelled absolutely stunning on him. It seemed to me a gentler Aramis. At the time I was stuck on my Eau Sauvage and the Cardin was not my style. It was inexpensive and worthy fragrance then due to the relative abundance of quality Sandalwood.I have not tasted the later production, so will refrain from comment until I have a nip.. The Vintage was very good.
07th February, 2016

Stardate 20161128:

A great drugstore cheapie. A bit dated for current generation but for us, oldtimers, a good time warp.
Current version by Five Star Fragrances is not nearly as good as the vintage but the soul is still the same.
I see similarities with EAOS in citrus, spices and vanilla but EAOS is better and smoother.
Try to get vintage as it can be had for cheap.
29th October, 2015 (last edited: 29th November, 2016)

Thee Spice Bomb!

I have been buying this Frag, off and on, for about 25 years. Just can't get away from it. I use it for a while get sick of it, don't use it for a while and then find myself buying it again. Very late 70's early 80's scent that reminds of things at that time. Comes on very strong and the dry down takes a while but as long as you don't overshoot it it's a nice smell all day. Not many colognes "Spice Up" your life like this stuff!
30th December, 2014
THIS... this.... I was looking for something new, something I haven't tried yet, something... to round my order off to free shipping. So I stopped by my trusty Powerhouse group on here and went to the beginning of the SOTD post there, flipped through a bit, noticed that among the ones I haven't tried yet, Pierre Cardin came up a fair amount. Looked it up, it's drug store priced, why not.

Ya know how sometimes when you try a fragrance that's new to you, ya put it on, you're kinda like, "Eh. (shrugs)", but at some point later on in the drydown it becomes something magnificent? This one travels in the opposite direction. It starts of eh, then dies, then I applied one more spray to myself thinking, "Well just how bad could it get?", and now I regret having done so. About an hour later it became this cloying... ya know that "crazy girlfriend" meme that's been floating about in various versions? This becomes that girl, but not even a little attractive, wrapped firmly around your leg. Perhaps with more experience I would be able to describe scent-wise exactly why, but... without being particularly powdery, it's juuuuuust a bit too powdery, and without being particularly sweet, it's juuuuust a bit too sweet. There ARE some interesting things going on in there, but I can't give a thumbs up to something I find myself wishing to escape about an hour in. MIND YOU, having recently purchased this, I'm pretty sure it's the non-vintage juice, or at least not the original.
06th December, 2014
drseid Show all reviews
*This is a review of the vintage Pour Monsieur (Made in France).

Pour Monsieur opens with an aromatic herbal citrus accord derived primarily of lemon and basil coupling with powdery lavender. As the composition enters its early heart the citrus quickly dissipates, leaving the powdery lavender to now join with supporting dull carnation and powdery oakmoss rising from the base that gives the composition's fragrance profile a green tinge. As it makes its way further through its middle the lavender fades as the powdery oakmoss gains in intensity, supported by dry powdery vanilla. During the late dry-down the powdery vanilla remains though now in diminished support as an uncovered stark leather and relatively dry sandalwood tandem controls through the finish. Projection is average and longevity very good at 9-11 hours on skin.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur (vintage) was created in 1972, and in some ways it really shows. This is a composition whose style has long since passed. While the style may be out of fashion, the composition is just as worthy of notice and admiration now as it was back then. The first thing that impresses is how well the aromatic herbal citrus top notes have held up considering the age of the vintage bottle used for this review. They really tickle your nose as the powdery lavender blends in perfectly. It has been a long time since I sniffed Pour Monsieur in its vintage form, so I forgot just how much oakmoss is in this stuff. Don't go in looking for a very mossy presentation though as it presents primarily as slightly green powder here. The oakmoss derived powder can be a bit too much on its own, then as the powdery vanilla joins in the level does get higher than desirable for the powder averse. That said, just as the powder nears distracting levels it never quite crosses over that line and diminishes substantially during the dry-down. Oh, and what a great dry-down it is... The combination of the dry sandalwood with hard leather works fabulously with the remaining powdery vanilla to take off some of the bite. That late dry-down payoff has got to be the best part of the composition by far. The bottom line is the approximate $65 per 75ml bottle on the aftermarket Pour Monsieur (vintage) may be a bit out of style, but it proves they just don't make 'em like they used to, earning a "very good" to "excellent" 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 rating. Recommended to perfume lovers who are more interested in old fashioned classics over the latest trends.
31st August, 2014
Brilliant. Unique. Not in vogue anymore to smell like this. But still smells sexy and sophisticated. For the guy confident enough to be different and small like a sophisticated french gentleman. Fine french perfumery at its best. 10 out of 10. But utterly unique.
31st May, 2014
It’s an apparently simple aromatic fougere that’s citrusy, balsamic, sweaty (very sweaty) and powdery. But there's a wealth of spice, gourmand and floral notes that give it depth and complexity--after three weeks of daily wear and I’m still learning. Among notes absent from most pyramids are anise, almond and musk. It's very skillfully blended, with 11 aroma chemicals that possess floral aspects listed.

It's unpretentious, somewhat vulgar and very entertaining with superior diffusion, persistence and evolution. (Awakening in the middle of the night to wisps of musk and citral is very comforting.) This is a near great; it's a gift that it sells for so little.

15th April, 2014 (last edited: 04th August, 2014)
For PC PM, the answer to why some like and why some do not may boil down to the version or more precisely, the manufacturer. When it was made in France or in the USA by Jaqueline Cochrane, it smelled as it should, wonderful, loud and old school. It was later made by Shulton, Aladdin and 2 others where it changed for the worse. My suggestion would be to find a bottle from France or by Jaqueline Cochrane and see if you like it better. This is one of the best of the 60's. 70's and 80's along with Eau Savage, Aramis, Azzaro, Polo, Aramis 900, Pour Monsieur, Jazz, Pour un Homme, Giorgio, Versace L'Homme, Gucci Homme, Braggi, Cool Water, Habit Rouge, Ungaro l, and a few others!
21st January, 2014
pierre cardin is the best and longest lasting strength drugstore cologne out there. a classic scent that lasts for hours and I do mean hours. I even felt high from the vapors from wearing it. cardin a classic designer who scored big with this one. surprised it is only sold in drugstores and not department stores today. very sexy classy cologne.
06th January, 2014
Back to the funk

Back to the FUNK! Pour Monsieur is a captivation of moments in the 70's where black 'n white danced
together in discoteques and rollerskates where hip.
Every notes makes a statement to this absolute 70's vibe fragrance.
Too bad i never had the chance to sniff the vintage version i have the latest version (5star)

Notes : No Musk? - The top is thin with citrus n benzoin and taken over by a hint of vanilla and a shot of Amber-tonka and leather grooving and twirling on your upper chest giving this scent a powdery and balmy spice intermezzo.
Far away I even smell a little bit Habit Rouge but in whiffs.
This EDC is a real EDC in sillage and projection almost too bad it never came out in a more concentrated version.
This bottle is ugly and perfect at the same time as it gives it a modern retro 70 feeling. (remember the 70's modern interiors with white furniture and orange,red,brown and purple wallpapers and big metallic floorlights??)

The bottle is soooo big you almost embarres yourself if you bring it on a holidaytrip with friends putting it on the bathroom shelve...

On the other side you have to spray more then 16 to get a decent sillage and longevity ...

Big OK for me! If I have a 70's Disco party this will be a worthy companion

Pros: price
Cons: 16 sprays for any sillage"

23rd August, 2013
Ok, Ok, Ok, I give this hairy chested macho guy some props for still being around for 40 years. I also give it props for having great longevity and projection. Sadly that's all it has going for it. Why would I want to be smelled a mile away from a scent I don't enjoy???? If you wear this fragrance then I commend you because you are one brave dude.
10th March, 2013

When smelling PCpm, other fragrances such as Tiffany for Men and Chanel PM come to mind, which is not to say it's the same level of greatness of those, but it's approaching it. Somebody here attended the Jacques Polge school of perfumery when they came up with this. Was it Pierre himself? Ah, the mind lingers...Certainly, it's a citrus mossy vanilla oriental that smells better than it should. The phallic-shaped bottle is a kick too. Pierre's empire may lie in ruins but this fragrance still shines.

06th September, 2012
My father had this in the 1970's, and I used to pinch some from him to wear out when I got "dressed up." I am female, and in 1970, the unisex fragrance concept hadn't quite gone mainstream, but I loved the deep mossy spice I got off of this--in fact, I always smelled clove, although it is not listed in the notes. I mean, when you start off loving Nuit de Noel in your childhood, where can you go from there for over-the-top fragrance glam...except here? (I guess Opium, Poison, or Obsession, but they always smelled too sweet to me). This, like Aramis (another of Dad's faves I "borrowed"), is Chypre on Steroids. This would probably choke me today, especially in the amounts I used to apply, but I did love it at the time, and I loved it on Dad, too.
20th August, 2012
I'm not sure I can get into this myself. I found it for $5 at a local store and figured I couldn't go wrong. When I smell it, I flash back to family reunions and church basement pot-lucks. Reminds me of relatives I haven't seen in a long while. Instant thoughts are shaggy hairguts, cowboy boots, stale beer and Johnny Cash. It will sit in the drawer for now... maybe I'll be able to wear it some day, but I'm thinking not. Other colognes seem to win out.
10th April, 2012
I didn't know what to expect from the reviews, but found an unopened vintage bottle of this for 5 dollars. There wasn't much in the top that thrilled me, but as soon as it hit the dry-down, I realized immediately that I had smelled this before. It smells very much like the beloved Tabu for women. Indeed, past the opening, the scents are nearly identical in composition. The bouquet is of different flowers, but to the same effect. Out of the two, I definitely prefer Tabu, but this isn't a bad one, either.
06th November, 2011
This stuff is awful, 5 bucks drugstore colognes are better than this horrible concoction. I am a fan of 70's and 80's powerhouses but this unpleasant atrocity really offends me.
Smells cheap, and the worst part is that lasts and lasts, so you can't fault its longevity, but who wants to smell all day like this nauseating juice anyhow?
Big thumbs down
28th September, 2011
This is a largely classical composition, operating within fairly narrow creative parameters. The muted citrus opening is a sepia tinged antique, and it creates an air of impending dandyism. However, the general lack of potency ensures that this budding cavalier keeps his epee firmly sheathed. As it develops, it warms considerably, and the drydown is a hugely entertaining episode of soft powdery leather, and inferred sweetness.

Pour Monsieur may be as unobtrusive as wearing a white shirt, but it also creates the same clean lines and is a modest backdrop for more ostentatious accessories. The latter stages are faintly reminiscent of a diminishing application of the original Gucci Pour Homme. It is by no means a doppelgänger, but it's still worthy of a pointed finger, and a furtive second glance.

06th September, 2011
man114 Show all reviews
I only give this a neutral because I'm not a fan of how watered down this stuff has become. I just reviewed Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills and Pour Monsieur has become a budget fragrance in 8 oz bottles like Royal Copenhagen. Is there really any point in making giant 8oz bottles of the stuff if you have to use 10 spays to get any longevity out of it? If they halved the size and took out the extra water/alcohol you'd come out equal, have a less obtrusive bottle, and use half as much. I think those giant bottles only appeal to someone thinking they're getting an awesome deal until they try it and realize it is more watery than it used to be.

Like my review of Giorgio this is a nice scent, citrusy with mosses, and patchouli. It is a bit sweet, however in the drydown unlike Giorgio it has something that to my nose picks up like tobacco. Perhaps its the leather mixing with the moss and vanilla I'm not sure. All around I think it is decent stuff. Barbershop type fragrance. If you splash on some Clubman after shaving and then use this as your cologne it blends pretty well. Longevity is less than stellar, expect to use a lot to get anywhere unless you can get old bottles made by someone other than Five Star. The scent itself like Royal Copenhagen, has been watered down but remains largely the same as it was.

Update:
I obtained a VERY old sample, opener is realtively similar, bottom has a touch more spice tad more patchoul and more leatheri. This gives it a distinctly more 70s feel, where the modern version while very similar feels more like your ordinary barber shop, less to balance the smooth finish.
19th January, 2011 (last edited: 10th January, 2012)
Another unexpected great scent that I have found after reading reviews on here...

Thanks very much to all the basenoters that have contributed to my discovery...!!!

This scent is perfect for everyday use whether at work or at play, day or night; it contains all the ingredients required to make you feel masculine, fresh, confident and ready to face the day...anyday...

The top notes are superb and uplifting, the heart notes carry you away for the following 2 hours and the base notes keep you comfortably wrapped up for the following 4 hours...wish the scent had greater staying power, but for the price...it is better that you re-apply as required...

I find similarities with Great Jones by Bond no 9 in that both scents are citrusy, green, masculine and very classy...

I encorauge my fellow boys and girls in their 40`s to give this a try...

Big thumbs up...!!!
09th January, 2011
Welcome to the 70's! A sexy, macho blend of citrus, herbs, and spices. Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a very distinctive, recognizable scent - if you have smelled Jovan Sex Appeal before, it is very similar. Of course, Pierre Cardin came first, and the Jovan is a bit spicier. For an Eau de Cologne, this lasts a while on me - I get up to 6 hours. I don't believe this juice is offensive at all, and not necessarily dated, but it certainly smells like it came from a different era! Awesome bottle, as well! Definitely great for the price.
23rd December, 2010
Chalk it up to my inexperience perhaps, but this scent comes off to me as really bitter lemon Pledge (yes, the spray you shine wood furniture and floorboards with). Very sharp, citrus-ey, and bitter. Offensively so.

I'll have to pass on using this one regularly, which is unfortunate, because I now have 4.2 oz of this stuff sitting in my closet.
11th October, 2010
Swanky Show all reviews
Pierre Cardin is from the same neighborhood as Jovan Sex Appeal, Kanon and Lagerfeld Classic. It shares the spicy herbal opening of Sex Appeal, the sweetness of Lagerfeld (although to a lesser degree) and the powdery dry down of Kanon. This is a breed of men's fragrance that has all but vanished in contemporary perfumery, and one that is lamented by lovers of the old school.

PC starts with a sharp blast of lemon and patchouli that settles into a pleasantly soft, masculine scent that is tenacious without overpowering. I get 8-plus hours of solid longevity (I can still clearly smell it; sillage is very good as well). Although Pierre Cardin is quite affordable, it doesn't smell as cheap as, say, Brut. All in all a solid member of the fraternity.
30th August, 2010
Never smelled one like it. LOVE IT. I never buy scents "cold" in the shop, either from testing on my skin or on paper strips. I hate the whole hurried false process under the waiting eye of a usually quite dim sales girl and the fug is so bad in there anyway it's hard to tell one thing from another.
I smell a scent which i like, on someone else. I think 'wow, what IS that?' and I ask them what it is and then try to find it. Most modern male scents leave me cold. This one has class and is seductive and animalic. It was worn by an attractive Greek man who later ran off with my girlfriend. I forgive her because I was on the verge of running off with him myself. Pierre Cardin is hard to resist. It's very 70-s, but then I'm a fan of retro if it means classic timelss quality and not just "new for the sake of it" or some tacky Bekham endorsed product. Pierre Cardin WAS associated with quality before he went overboard with his branding and I think this scent is worthy of his better days. I was always a little embarrassed by the phallic bottle, but it is appropriate, this is not a neutral scent, I had many compliments from women when I wore it. Some scents are almost TOO seductive, you start being followed and sniffed by seedy old men (and women, and even stray dogs)....there is a price to pay , you can't have your cake AND eat it! ;-) the defining fragrance of my youth. What a drydown! Merci Pierre pour ce merveilleux parfum.
15th June, 2010
I don't get it. I just don't get it. I should love it - lots of citrus, geranium and leather, hints of Eau Sauvage. But all I get is amber for about an hour and then it's gone. Like completely gone. I know I have a legit bottle, but I don't get any of the notes other reviews mention, the colour seems to be much darker than the stuff usually is, it's a splash not a spray and it doesn't smell to me like it's worth a lot more than it costs. It's too sweet, too fleeting and, price aside, too darn disappointing.
26th May, 2010
1.perfect for my taste.
2. easy on wallet.
3. stays long.
4. best dry down from all the colognes i have.
5. fiancee loves it.
what more do you want????????????
11th February, 2010
The PC which was distributed by Tsumua, Intl. is a lot stronger, richer in the PC scent, and lasts a way lot longer. On the other hand, the newer PC distributed by Aladdin Fragrances of Deer Park, NY, seems to be weak, watered down, and has no staying power at all. Yes, it smells like the original PC, but a very watered down version. Apparently this newer company seems to be skimping on the essential oils which the original had, as it does not last a near as long as the original. How sad it is when companies start "pulling the wool" over their customers' eyes by watering down their fragrances. I can definitely tell this is what is going on with many companies trying to cut corners--one example is Chanel, whose Antaeus seems a bit more watered down nowadays as compared to days of yore. How sad, and how despicable if it is, in fact, true.
16th January, 2010
shamu1 Show all reviews
A few months back, I wrote a review of Cuba Red, saying that it was the best fragrance bargain I’d ever encountered. I was wrong – Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur beats it hands down. I just bought a giant 8 ounce bottle for $17.

This defines what a timeless classic scent is, and it is in the same league and of the same caliber as Moustache, Eau Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy, Chanel Pour Monsieur and Equipage, even though it’s at a mere fraction of the cost. Pierre Cardin can stand up to any of the greats, because it is one of the greats. It is a light, citrusy oriental that is slightly powdery and animalic, and it has a beautiful vanillic drydown that is very similar to the drydown in Creed’s Bois du Portugal, but more subtle.

The animalic note in Pierre Cardin PM has to be one of the most impressive olfactory illusions ever created, because I could swear there’s civet in this. I often feel that civet just overpowers citrus and lavender accords, making a fragrance smell more like a toilet than an eau de toilette (see Ungaro II). But in this fragrance, the imitation civet note is subtle and it blends beautifully with the citrus and lavender.

I’ve heard that this is a reformulation, but that it remains true to the original. This is very impressive because looking at the back of the box it looks like the Pierre Cardin license was bought out by some el-cheapo firm in New York. It’s amazing that not only has this company managed to sell this at such a reasonable price, but to make it still smell so great. This is no el-cheapo smelling fragrance, I can assure you.

My gut inclination is to call this a “poor man’s Chanel Pour Monsieur”, but that would trivialize this stunning scent. This current version of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is truly one of the greats.
15th December, 2009
I dare say PIERRE CARDIN POUR MONSIEUR opens much better than the similarly styled original Gucci Pour Homme from 1976, with a sharp citrus top made greener by basil, and a hint of sweet lavender to add an intriguing facet of contrast. Towards the middle I get a powdery leather-sandalwood blend, with geranium and vanilla coming to the fore, and it continues pleasantly in the same affable manner to an ambery leather drydown which resembles that of - wait for it - Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur! What can I say? I'm sold. The price may be cheap but the scent is anything but. To budding perfumistos and cologneuseurs, I feel this 1972 release rates a 'must-try' at least. But you'd better hurry 'cuz I'm about to stockpile.
13th November, 2009