Reviews of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Find out more about Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

judahsmith's avatar

Brilliant. Unique. Not in vogue anymore to smell like this. But still smells sexy and sophisticated. For the guy confident enough to be different and small like a sophisticated french gentleman. Fine french perfumery at its best. 10 out of 10. But utterly unique.

31st May, 2014

Carlie,JD's avatar

It’s an apparently simple aromatic fougere that’s citrusy, balsamic, sweaty (very sweaty) and powdery. But there's a wealth of spice, gourmand and floral notes that give it depth and complexity--after three weeks of daily wear and I’m still learning. Among notes absent from most pyramids are anise, almond and musk. It's very skillfully blended, with 11 aroma chemicals that possess floral aspects listed.

It's unpretentious, somewhat vulgar and very entertaining with superior diffusion, persistence and evolution. (Awakening in the middle of the night to wisps of musk and citral is very comforting.) This is a near great; it's a gift that it sells for so little.

15 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2014)

montagne's avatar

If you dislike Trumper’s Spanish Leather, you will also dislike this. And I do.

I immediately inhale the powdery, intrusive pong of scented haemorrhoid cream, deodorising balm for intractable leg ulcers, or Greco-Roman wrestler’s loincloth dipped in sour milk.

I picture a mincing Regency dandy giving his wig an extra dose of powder as an alternative to the monthly bath.

I am reminded of the aerosol cans mothers-in-law leave on the lavatory cistern to allow their dinner guests to cover whatsoever tracks they may otherwise have left.

I recall the stuff the barber soaks the comb in, between customers.

If I had to pick out a single feature of the overall aroma as being the most offensive, I think it would be Geranium-Lavender accord, which is perfectly titred so that the beauty of neither note can be discerned, but the combined chord is loud, intrusive, and ugly, like the Sandersons from Poughkeepsie arriving at your barbecue.

I suspect that the ‘nose’ (if I may hesitantly attribute such an organ to the creator of this travesty) was aiming at a fougere structure: the lavender, bergamot, moss, labdanum (cited as amber), and coumarin (cited as tonka) in the pyramid would certainly suggest this text-book intention. However, none of these notes meld in the heart of the fragrance. The colours separate out, as if printed with a misaligned cartridge.

In the dry-down, things only get worse. After 6 hours, I am dogged by a curly-sandwich stale, wedding-singer flat, wilted funeral flower, chewing-gum-on-the-pavement, polyester-shirted traffic-warden, geist.

28 March, 2014

Zimmies's avatar

For PC PM, the answer to why some like and why some do not may boil down to the version or more precisely, the manufacturer. When it was made in France or in the USA by Jaqueline Cochrane, it smelled as it should, wonderful, loud and old school. It was later made by Shulton, Aladdin and 2 others where it changed for the worse. My suggestion would be to find a bottle from France or by Jaqueline Cochrane and see if you like it better. This is one of the best of the 60's. 70's and 80's along with Eau Savage, Aramis, Azzaro, Polo, Aramis 900, Pour Monsieur, Jazz, Pour un Homme, Giorgio, Versace L'Homme, Gucci Homme, Braggi, Cool Water, Habit Rouge, Ungaro l, and a few others!

21st January, 2014

cologne65's avatar

pierre cardin is the best and longest lasting strength drugstore cologne out there. a classic scent that lasts for hours and I do mean hours. I even felt high from the vapors from wearing it. cardin a classic designer who scored big with this one. surprised it is only sold in drugstores and not department stores today. very sexy classy cologne.

06 January, 2014

MrMookie's avatar

Back to the funk

Back to the FUNK! Pour Monsieur is a captivation of moments in the 70's where black 'n white danced
    together in discoteques and rollerskates where hip.
    Every notes makes a statement to this absolute 70's vibe fragrance.
    Too bad i never had the chance to sniff the vintage version i have the latest version (5star)

Notes : No Musk? - The top is thin with citrus n benzoin and taken over by a hint of vanilla and a shot of Amber-tonka and leather grooving and twirling on your upper chest giving this scent a powdery and balmy spice intermezzo.
    Far away I even smell a little bit Habit Rouge but in whiffs.
    This EDC is a real EDC in sillage and projection almost too bad it never came out in a more concentrated version.
    This bottle is ugly and perfect at the same time as it gives it a modern retro 70 feeling. (remember the 70's modern interiors with white furniture and orange,red,brown and purple wallpapers and big metallic floorlights??)

The bottle is soooo big you almost embarres yourself if you bring it on a holidaytrip with friends putting it on the bathroom shelve...

On the other side you have to spray more then 16 to get a decent sillage and longevity ...

Big OK for me! If I have a 70's Disco party this will be a worthy companion

Pros: price
    Cons: 16 sprays for any sillage"

23 August, 2013

Bobster's avatar

Ok, Ok, Ok, I give this hairy chested macho guy some props for still being around for 40 years. I also give it props for having great longevity and projection. Sadly that's all it has going for it. Why would I want to be smelled a mile away from a scent I don't enjoy???? If you wear this fragrance then I commend you because you are one brave dude.

10th March, 2013

manicboy's avatar

When smelling PCpm, other fragrances such as Tiffany for Men and Chanel PM come to mind, which is not to say it's the same level of greatness of those, but it's approaching it. Somebody here attended the Jacques Polge school of perfumery when they came up with this. Was it Pierre himself? Ah, the mind lingers...Certainly, it's a citrus mossy vanilla oriental that smells better than it should. The phallic-shaped bottle is a kick too. Pierre's empire may lie in ruins but this fragrance still shines.

06 September, 2012

k8pierro's avatar

My father had this in the 1970's, and I used to pinch some from him to wear out when I got "dressed up." I am female, and in 1970, the unisex fragrance concept hadn't quite gone mainstream, but I loved the deep mossy spice I got off of this--in fact, I always smelled clove, although it is not listed in the notes. I mean, when you start off loving Nuit de Noel in your childhood, where can you go from there for over-the-top fragrance glam...except here? (I guess Opium, Poison, or Obsession, but they always smelled too sweet to me). This, like Aramis (another of Dad's faves I "borrowed"), is Chypre on Steroids. This would probably choke me today, especially in the amounts I used to apply, but I did love it at the time, and I loved it on Dad, too.

20th August, 2012

SnowStorm's avatar

I'm not sure I can get into this myself. I found it for $5 at a local store and figured I couldn't go wrong. When I smell it, I flash back to family reunions and church basement pot-lucks. Reminds me of relatives I haven't seen in a long while. Instant thoughts are shaggy hairguts, cowboy boots, stale beer and Johnny Cash. It will sit in the drawer for now... maybe I'll be able to wear it some day, but I'm thinking not. Other colognes seem to win out.

10th April, 2012

lovingthealien's avatar

I didn't know what to expect from the reviews, but found an unopened vintage bottle of this for 5 dollars. There wasn't much in the top that thrilled me, but as soon as it hit the dry-down, I realized immediately that I had smelled this before. It smells very much like the beloved Tabu for women. Indeed, past the opening, the scents are nearly identical in composition. The bouquet is of different flowers, but to the same effect. Out of the two, I definitely prefer Tabu, but this isn't a bad one, either.

06 November, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This stuff is awful, 5 bucks drugstore colognes are better than this horrible concoction. I am a fan of 70's and 80's powerhouses but this unpleasant atrocity really offends me.
    Smells cheap, and the worst part is that lasts and lasts, so you can't fault its longevity, but who wants to smell all day like this nauseating juice anyhow?
    Big thumbs down

28 September, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar

This is a largely classical composition, operating within fairly narrow creative parameters. The muted citrus opening is a sepia tinged antique, and it creates an air of impending dandyism. However, the general lack of potency ensures that this budding cavalier keeps his epee firmly sheathed. As it develops, it warms considerably, and the drydown is a hugely entertaining episode of soft powdery leather, and inferred sweetness.

Pour Monsieur may be as unobtrusive as wearing a white shirt, but it also creates the same clean lines and is a modest backdrop for more ostentatious accessories. The latter stages are faintly reminiscent of a diminishing application of the original Gucci Pour Homme. It is by no means a doppelgänger, but it's still worthy of a pointed finger, and a furtive second glance.

06 September, 2011

man114's avatar

I only give this a neutral because I'm not a fan of how watered down this stuff has become. I just reviewed Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills and Pour Monsieur has become a budget fragrance in 8 oz bottles like Royal Copenhagen. Is there really any point in making giant 8oz bottles of the stuff if you have to use 10 spays to get any longevity out of it? If they halved the size and took out the extra water/alcohol you'd come out equal, have a less obtrusive bottle, and use half as much. I think those giant bottles only appeal to someone thinking they're getting an awesome deal until they try it and realize it is more watery than it used to be.

Like my review of Giorgio this is a nice scent, citrusy with mosses, and patchouli. It is a bit sweet, however in the drydown unlike Giorgio it has something that to my nose picks up like tobacco. Perhaps its the leather mixing with the moss and vanilla I'm not sure. All around I think it is decent stuff. Barbershop type fragrance. If you splash on some Clubman after shaving and then use this as your cologne it blends pretty well. Longevity is less than stellar, expect to use a lot to get anywhere unless you can get old bottles made by someone other than Five Star. The scent itself like Royal Copenhagen, has been watered down but remains largely the same as it was.

Update:
    I obtained a VERY old sample, opener is realtively similar, bottom has a touch more spice tad more patchoul and more leatheri. This gives it a distinctly more 70s feel, where the modern version while very similar feels more like your ordinary barber shop, less to balance the smooth finish.

19 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2012)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Another unexpected great scent that I have found after reading reviews on here...

Thanks very much to all the basenoters that have contributed to my discovery...!!!

This scent is perfect for everyday use whether at work or at play, day or night; it contains all the ingredients required to make you feel masculine, fresh, confident and ready to face the day...anyday...

The top notes are superb and uplifting, the heart notes carry you away for the following 2 hours and the base notes keep you comfortably wrapped up for the following 4 hours...wish the scent had greater staying power, but for the price...it is better that you re-apply as required...

I find similarities with Great Jones by Bond no 9 in that both scents are citrusy, green, masculine and very classy...

I encorauge my fellow boys and girls in their 40`s to give this a try...

Big thumbs up...!!!

09 January, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Welcome to the 70's! A sexy, macho blend of citrus, herbs, and spices. Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a very distinctive, recognizable scent - if you have smelled Jovan Sex Appeal before, it is very similar. Of course, Pierre Cardin came first, and the Jovan is a bit spicier. For an Eau de Cologne, this lasts a while on me - I get up to 6 hours. I don't believe this juice is offensive at all, and not necessarily dated, but it certainly smells like it came from a different era! Awesome bottle, as well! Definitely great for the price.

23 December, 2010

ji-force's avatar

Chalk it up to my inexperience perhaps, but this scent comes off to me as really bitter lemon Pledge (yes, the spray you shine wood furniture and floorboards with). Very sharp, citrus-ey, and bitter. Offensively so.

I'll have to pass on using this one regularly, which is unfortunate, because I now have 4.2 oz of this stuff sitting in my closet.

11th October, 2010

Swanky's avatar

Pierre Cardin is from the same neighborhood as Jovan Sex Appeal, Kanon and Lagerfeld Classic. It shares the spicy herbal opening of Sex Appeal, the sweetness of Lagerfeld (although to a lesser degree) and the powdery dry down of Kanon. This is a breed of men's fragrance that has all but vanished in contemporary perfumery, and one that is lamented by lovers of the old school.

PC starts with a sharp blast of lemon and patchouli that settles into a pleasantly soft, masculine scent that is tenacious without overpowering. I get 8-plus hours of solid longevity (I can still clearly smell it; sillage is very good as well). Although Pierre Cardin is quite affordable, it doesn't smell as cheap as, say, Brut. All in all a solid member of the fraternity.

30th August, 2010

Joeinmoscow's avatar

Never smelled one like it. LOVE IT. I never buy scents "cold" in the shop, either from testing on my skin or on paper strips. I hate the whole hurried false process under the waiting eye of a usually quite dim sales girl and the fug is so bad in there anyway it's hard to tell one thing from another.
    I smell a scent which i like, on someone else. I think 'wow, what IS that?' and I ask them what it is and then try to find it. Most modern male scents leave me cold. This one has class and is seductive and animalic. It was worn by an attractive Greek man who later ran off with my girlfriend. I forgive her because I was on the verge of running off with him myself. Pierre Cardin is hard to resist. It's very 70-s, but then I'm a fan of retro if it means classic timelss quality and not just "new for the sake of it" or some tacky Bekham endorsed product. Pierre Cardin WAS associated with quality before he went overboard with his branding and I think this scent is worthy of his better days. I was always a little embarrassed by the phallic bottle, but it is appropriate, this is not a neutral scent, I had many compliments from women when I wore it. Some scents are almost TOO seductive, you start being followed and sniffed by seedy old men (and women, and even stray dogs)....there is a price to pay , you can't have your cake AND eat it! ;-) the defining fragrance of my youth. What a drydown! Merci Pierre pour ce merveilleux parfum.

15 June, 2010

great_badir's avatar

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I should love it - lots of citrus, geranium and leather, hints of Eau Sauvage. But all I get is amber for about an hour and then it's gone. Like completely gone. I know I have a legit bottle, but I don't get any of the notes other reviews mention, the colour seems to be much darker than the stuff usually is, it's a splash not a spray and it doesn't smell to me like it's worth a lot more than it costs. It's too sweet, too fleeting and, price aside, too darn disappointing.

26 May, 2010

kartikeya's avatar

1.perfect for my taste.
    2. easy on wallet.
    3. stays long.
    4. best dry down from all the colognes i have.
    5. fiancee loves it.
    what more do you want????????????

11th February, 2010

Jon_Remy's avatar

The PC which was distributed by Tsumua, Intl. is a lot stronger, richer in the PC scent, and lasts a way lot longer. On the other hand, the newer PC distributed by Aladdin Fragrances of Deer Park, NY, seems to be weak, watered down, and has no staying power at all. Yes, it smells like the original PC, but a very watered down version. Apparently this newer company seems to be skimping on the essential oils which the original had, as it does not last a near as long as the original. How sad it is when companies start "pulling the wool" over their customers' eyes by watering down their fragrances. I can definitely tell this is what is going on with many companies trying to cut corners--one example is Chanel, whose Antaeus seems a bit more watered down nowadays as compared to days of yore. How sad, and how despicable if it is, in fact, true.

16 January, 2010

shamu1's avatar

A few months back, I wrote a review of Cuba Red, saying that it was the best fragrance bargain I’d ever encountered. I was wrong – Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur beats it hands down. I just bought a giant 8 ounce bottle for $17.

This defines what a timeless classic scent is, and it is in the same league and of the same caliber as Moustache, Eau Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy, Chanel Pour Monsieur and Equipage, even though it’s at a mere fraction of the cost. Pierre Cardin can stand up to any of the greats, because it is one of the greats. It is a light, citrusy oriental that is slightly powdery and animalic, and it has a beautiful vanillic drydown that is very similar to the drydown in Creed’s Bois du Portugal, but more subtle.

The animalic note in Pierre Cardin PM has to be one of the most impressive olfactory illusions ever created, because I could swear there’s civet in this. I often feel that civet just overpowers citrus and lavender accords, making a fragrance smell more like a toilet than an eau de toilette (see Ungaro II). But in this fragrance, the imitation civet note is subtle and it blends beautifully with the citrus and lavender.

I’ve heard that this is a reformulation, but that it remains true to the original. This is very impressive because looking at the back of the box it looks like the Pierre Cardin license was bought out by some el-cheapo firm in New York. It’s amazing that not only has this company managed to sell this at such a reasonable price, but to make it still smell so great. This is no el-cheapo smelling fragrance, I can assure you.

My gut inclination is to call this a “poor man’s Chanel Pour Monsieur”, but that would trivialize this stunning scent. This current version of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is truly one of the greats.

15 December, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I dare say PIERRE CARDIN POUR MONSIEUR opens much better than the similarly styled original Gucci Pour Homme from 1976, with a sharp citrus top made greener by basil, and a hint of sweet lavender to add an intriguing facet of contrast. Towards the middle I get a powdery leather-sandalwood blend, with geranium and vanilla coming to the fore, and it continues pleasantly in the same affable manner to an ambery leather drydown which resembles that of - wait for it - Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur! What can I say? I'm sold. The price may be cheap but the scent is anything but. To budding perfumistos and cologneuseurs, I feel this 1972 release rates a 'must-try' at least. But you'd better hurry 'cuz I'm about to stockpile.

13 November, 2009

MOONB's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is the quintessential "everyday" mature gentleman's cologne. Perfect for the office workweek, Saturdays at the in-laws, and Sunday mass. Orange, lemon, geranium-cooled leather and patchouli over a friendly tonka and musk base. Development is a little stilted, and the fragrance feels dated. Still, it's a cheapie that works.

05 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2011)

Trapjaw's avatar

The unique bottle design launched this fragrance into the stratosphere with Pierre Cardin’s futuristic look on life. In an era that requires both prestige and value, Pierre Cardin is second to none.

I honestly don't see how this could be possible. Back about 10 yr ago a friend gave me a half bottle and it was putrid. It had to have been an old bottle or something cause its like the lemon, leather (sweaty leather sandals) and benzoin reformulated into something that smelled akin to kerosene mixed with diesel fuel (yes the stuff u put in tractors). I was a wee bit younger then. But that smell is still stuck in my membrane in the spot where all things rancid fester. Maybe one day I'll give it another sniff if I see it out somewhere and relive my horror.. Sorry guys, although I do like the smell of Old Spice

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

michailG's avatar

No doubt about it, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a fine fragrance indicative of its times. Wearable, comforting with an excellent powdery dry-down. It is the sweet (leather & vanilla) accords that although soft and tender are not my cup of tea. On my skin it lasts a couple of hours then it fades away, although its sweetness remains traceable.

02 October, 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar

Rounded citrus top notes leading to a soft, powdery drydown ( the ambery-sweet base notes somewhat remind me of Shalimar - go figure ). Unexpectedly nice for a masculine on the cheap side. The longevity is disappointingly poor, however.

11th September, 2009

Redbeard's avatar

Another Old Spice? Not quite. It's spicy, with what I assumed to be clove or nutmeg, but minus a lot of the sweetness of Old Spice or many designer brands. It's like I've taken whole spices with a little orange peel and vanilla and smashed them onto myself without sweetening them much, so that I could detect their dry bitterness underneath. It seems to me like all the notes are right there at the surface, but that doesn't make it shallow to me, just easy to appreciate. After trying many others, this old juice remains very close to what my ideal cologne would smell like, and it goes to show that you only need so much sweetness to make an excellent concoction. It's colored more darkly than it needs to be, so it leaves yellowness behind on cloth, and forgive me, but the bottle looks like something that a single lady would buy batteries for on a lonely night! I'm sure she's reminiscing about a man she once knew who wore Pierre Cardin and smelled dashing.

11th July, 2009

photofinish's avatar

Suspended somewhere between an antiseptic dental rinse and cloying low budget perfume lies the bewildering aroma of Pierre Cardin pour homme.

17 June, 2009