Negative Reviews of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Find out more about Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

montagne's avatar

If you dislike Trumper’s Spanish Leather, you will also dislike this. And I do.

I immediately inhale the powdery, intrusive pong of scented haemorrhoid cream, deodorising balm for intractable leg ulcers, or Greco-Roman wrestler’s loincloth dipped in sour milk.

I picture a mincing Regency dandy giving his wig an extra dose of powder as an alternative to the monthly bath.

I am reminded of the aerosol cans mothers-in-law leave on the lavatory cistern to allow their dinner guests to cover whatsoever tracks they may otherwise have left.

I recall the stuff the barber soaks the comb in, between customers.

If I had to pick out a single feature of the overall aroma as being the most offensive, I think it would be Geranium-Lavender accord, which is perfectly titred so that the beauty of neither note can be discerned, but the combined chord is loud, intrusive, and ugly, like the Sandersons from Poughkeepsie arriving at your barbecue.

I suspect that the ‘nose’ (if I may hesitantly attribute such an organ to the creator of this travesty) was aiming at a fougere structure: the lavender, bergamot, moss, labdanum (cited as amber), and coumarin (cited as tonka) in the pyramid would certainly suggest this text-book intention. However, none of these notes meld in the heart of the fragrance. The colours separate out, as if printed with a misaligned cartridge.

In the dry-down, things only get worse. After 6 hours, I am dogged by a curly-sandwich stale, wedding-singer flat, wilted funeral flower, chewing-gum-on-the-pavement, polyester-shirted traffic-warden, geist.

28 March, 2014

Bobster's avatar

Ok, Ok, Ok, I give this hairy chested macho guy some props for still being around for 40 years. I also give it props for having great longevity and projection. Sadly that's all it has going for it. Why would I want to be smelled a mile away from a scent I don't enjoy???? If you wear this fragrance then I commend you because you are one brave dude.

10th March, 2013

SnowStorm's avatar

I'm not sure I can get into this myself. I found it for $5 at a local store and figured I couldn't go wrong. When I smell it, I flash back to family reunions and church basement pot-lucks. Reminds me of relatives I haven't seen in a long while. Instant thoughts are shaggy hairguts, cowboy boots, stale beer and Johnny Cash. It will sit in the drawer for now... maybe I'll be able to wear it some day, but I'm thinking not. Other colognes seem to win out.

10th April, 2012

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This stuff is awful, 5 bucks drugstore colognes are better than this horrible concoction. I am a fan of 70's and 80's powerhouses but this unpleasant atrocity really offends me.
    Smells cheap, and the worst part is that lasts and lasts, so you can't fault its longevity, but who wants to smell all day like this nauseating juice anyhow?
    Big thumbs down

28 September, 2011

ji-force's avatar

Chalk it up to my inexperience perhaps, but this scent comes off to me as really bitter lemon Pledge (yes, the spray you shine wood furniture and floorboards with). Very sharp, citrus-ey, and bitter. Offensively so.

I'll have to pass on using this one regularly, which is unfortunate, because I now have 4.2 oz of this stuff sitting in my closet.

11th October, 2010

great_badir's avatar

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I should love it - lots of citrus, geranium and leather, hints of Eau Sauvage. But all I get is amber for about an hour and then it's gone. Like completely gone. I know I have a legit bottle, but I don't get any of the notes other reviews mention, the colour seems to be much darker than the stuff usually is, it's a splash not a spray and it doesn't smell to me like it's worth a lot more than it costs. It's too sweet, too fleeting and, price aside, too darn disappointing.

26 May, 2010

Trapjaw's avatar

The unique bottle design launched this fragrance into the stratosphere with Pierre Cardin’s futuristic look on life. In an era that requires both prestige and value, Pierre Cardin is second to none.

I honestly don't see how this could be possible. Back about 10 yr ago a friend gave me a half bottle and it was putrid. It had to have been an old bottle or something cause its like the lemon, leather (sweaty leather sandals) and benzoin reformulated into something that smelled akin to kerosene mixed with diesel fuel (yes the stuff u put in tractors). I was a wee bit younger then. But that smell is still stuck in my membrane in the spot where all things rancid fester. Maybe one day I'll give it another sniff if I see it out somewhere and relive my horror.. Sorry guys, although I do like the smell of Old Spice

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

photofinish's avatar

Suspended somewhere between an antiseptic dental rinse and cloying low budget perfume lies the bewildering aroma of Pierre Cardin pour homme.

17 June, 2009

paul's avatar

I've tried very hard to like this but I just can't get it out of my head that the topnotes are like talc and the drydown like Harpic. Sorry!

10th December, 2007